[Literature] Clan Novel and other book discussion thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Literature] Clan Novel and other book discussion thread

There have been a lot of developments for the re-release of the Clan Novels and Dark Age by Crossroad Press. Also, there's now a bunch of books coming out from Onyx Path, including a Chicago anthology. So I thought this would be a good thread to create. Discuss anything releated to Vampire: The Masquerade's fiction over the years. Except Eternal Hearts.

LOL.

I recently got my paperback copies of the Clan Novels and have been enjoying a re-read. Then I'm going to do the Grail Covenant trilogy and Dark Age Clan Novels.

Comparison of the New To The Old: https://imgur.com/a/YO6CglF

Where to get the books: https://crossroadpress.com/product-category/white-wolf/

I like the matte finish and high quality paper but this means that I had to buy a completely new set for my shelf as they don't fit with my old books.

HERE'S MY REVIEWS OF THE BOOKS SO FAR:

Clan Novel: Toreador
    Clan Novel: Tzimisce
    Last edited by CTPhipps; 06-13-2019, 03:50 PM.

Author of Cthulhu Armageddon, I was a Teenage Weredeer, Straight Outta Fangton, Lucifer's Star, and the Supervillainy Saga.

I'm getting older so I like bigger print but I think I'll stick to the Kindle unless they rerelease the Red Death and Victorian Age trilogies. Thanks for the photos though. What's this about new Chicago fiction? Do you have any links?

Comment

Originally posted by Vamps Like Us View Post
      I'm getting older so I like bigger print but I think I'll stick to the Kindle unless they rerelease the Red Death and Victorian Age trilogies. Thanks for the photos though. What's this about new Chicago fiction? Do you have any links?
      It's something they talked about over on RPG.net.

Apparently, the good people at Onyx Path (who have their own often-overlooked books) have plans for a CBN anthology.

As for the re-release of the Red Death and Victorian Age trilogies, I understand the plan is this (because I know David Niall Wilson personally and he owns Crossroad Press)

1. Release the Clan Novels (Done)
      2. Release the Grail Covenant Trilogy (Done)
      3. Release the Dark Ages Clan Novels (Ongoing)
      4. See if they sell
      5. If 4 is correct then they will eventually re-release all of White Wolf's previous catalog
      6. New Novels (?)

Author of Cthulhu Armageddon, I was a Teenage Weredeer, Straight Outta Fangton, Lucifer's Star, and the Supervillainy Saga.

Comment

New novels would be the best. I think if they can entice some established writers who have produced good work in the past it would be even more exciting. I like the idea of novels set in places where we are already familiar through game books like Chicago by night, but new places and characters would be very welcome as well. I actually think the old signature characters like Beckett Victoria and the like are kind of played out unless someone was really inspired.

Hopefully we'll get lots of new titles if the game goes well. Does anyone know if the Vol 5 books are actually selling well? I don't frequent gaming stores much anymore or book stores for that matter.

Comment

New novels would be the best. I think if they can entice some established writers who have produced good work in the past it would be even more exciting. I like the idea of novels set in places where we are already familiar through game books like Chicago by night, but new places and characters would be very welcome as well. I actually think the old signature characters like Beckett Victoria and the like are kind of played out unless someone was really inspired.
          Obviously, it's paradox's decision but I said I totally would write a novel trilogy for it set in Chicago and strongly hinted I had some ideas.

David apparently would love to do another set of Clan Novels for 5th Edition with different authors for each.

Hopefully we'll get lots of new titles if the game goes well. Does anyone know if the Vol 5 books are actually selling well? I don't frequent gaming stores much anymore or book stores for that matter.
          As I understand it, the tabletop roleplaying games are no longer actually the primary source of V:TM income as the goal has always been to make it into a video game franchise with Bloodlines 2 what they've been planning from the beginning. They have mobile games and spin off games planned as well so the situation is akin to Marvel comics.

The movies are what's important now instead of the comics.

I understand Jacon Carl's LA by Night has been a bit of a game changer for the tabletop RPG, though.
          Last edited by CTPhipps; 05-29-2019, 09:45 PM.

Comment

I'm pulling for you then. A story set in Chicago my old stomping grounds would be Amazing!
            Don't know why I never noticed your novels in older posts but I just picked up
            Straight Outta Fangton and will read it soon

Comment

I'm currently conducting my re-read through the Clan Novel series and some of it certainly reads differently than they did in 1998.

Some initial thoughts as I go through them.

Giovanni and Followers of Set are the two most horrifying and dark of the novels, which is why they're definitely among my favorites. I especially like how Followers of Set reads like a romance novel parody to an extent in that the heroine thinks Hesha is a romantic dashing vampire but he's actually one of the worst Elders in the series. Giovanni is about how a vampire starts going into wassail and how nobody cares enough to help him avoid it.

Lasombra and Assamite are the most 'superhero with fangs' and that's not a bad thing because I love the Black Widow and Underworld. Lucita is basically Catherine Zeta Jones as a vampire with shadows instead of two guns. They're fun, dark, and actually have some things. I also loved Lucita as a perfect Elder Anarch.

Brujah and Ventrue are the most political novels of the series with them being leaps and above better than Toreador that I felt wasn't very good at establishing who, what, when, where, and why.

Tremere was a book that I felt didn't show the Tremere very well because Sturbridge is the least Tremere Tremere of all time. I can't imagine she wouldn't be executed for her insubordination but she IS the Regent of New York City so maybe she HAS been executed, it's just the Sabbat did a shit job of it. Like being reassigned to the front line of the Soviet Union when you're a Wehrmacht officer.

Gangrel was probably the best for introducing people and I kind of think that Ramona should have been a more important character than the series allowed. While people wanted Beckett, Ramona was a newbie's view of the setting.

I wasn't a fan of Malkavian or Tzimisce. Ravnos was an okay sequel to Setite. Nosferatu I felt had the unenviable job of wrapping everything up.
              Last edited by CTPhipps; 05-29-2019, 10:43 PM.

Comment

I'm pulling for you then. A story set in Chicago my old stomping grounds would be Amazing!
                Don't know why I never noticed your novels in older posts but I just picked up
                Straight Outta Fangton and will read it soon
                Thanks. I hope you enjoy!

Straight Outta Fangton got reviewed by Elisa Hansen (Vampire Reviews) and she really liked it. https://youtu.be/_1tQwK2PnOA

Comment

Anyone else love TVtropes.org? I love that website and have made many pages for it. Well, I just made a page for the Vampire: The Masquerade clan novels and I thought people would enjoy it.

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.p...eTheMasquerade

Comment

Talking about the Novels, has anybody here already ready the dark ages novels? I've just reread the Gangrel one and although I think it was good, I kinda prefered the Cappadocian and the Ventrue ones. What frustrated me more about the Gangrel novel is that Alexander of Paris, a 4th generation millenar cainite is portraited as so stupid and weak that it was hard to believe (and keep myself engaged) in the book's ending when one has to think about vampire's system (hard to not think about actual games when one has been storytelling for over 2 decades like me lol). There is almost no way on earth (the world of darkness for the matter) for a 4th generation Ventrue methuselah to be defeated so easily by a neonate gangrel and some teliavelic tremere. I know it's a novel et all, but they made it look way too easy, it seems as though White Wolf was just trying too hard to get rid of Alexander.

Comment

Originally posted by Herr Meister View Post
                      Talking about the Novels, has anybody here already ready the dark ages novels? I've just reread the Gangrel one and although I think it was good, I kinda prefered the Cappadocian and the Ventrue ones. What frustrated me more about the Gangrel novel is that Alexander of Paris, a 4th generation millenar cainite is portraited as so stupid and weak that it was hard to believe (and keep myself engaged) in the book's ending when one has to think about vampire's system (hard to not think about actual games when one has been storytelling for over 2 decades like me lol). There is almost no way on earth (the world of darkness for the matter) for a 4th generation Ventrue methuselah to be defeated so easily by a neonate gangrel and some teliavelic tremere. I know it's a novel et all, but they made it look way too easy, it seems as though White Wolf was just trying too hard to get rid of Alexander.
                      I never read any of the Dark Age Clan Novels before their re-release and am looking forward to doing so once I finish my Clan Novel re-read. What you're describing actually intrigues me and now I want to read about that even if I had a hard enough time believing Cristof beat the Vukulodak.

FYI -

Part of the issue the books aren't all out now is I understand that it's mostly a production issue where they have to be scanned from the paperbacks and then proofed due to the fact quite a few of the original PDFs only exist as photos of the original book.

So it's a bit time consuming but well worth it.
                      Last edited by CTPhipps; 06-04-2019, 09:00 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by CTPhipps View Post

I never read any of the Dark Age Clan Novels before their re-release and am looking forward to doing so once I finish my Clan Novel re-read. What you're describing actually intrigues me and now I want to read about that even if I had a hard enough time believing Cristof beat the Vukulodak.

FYI -

Part of the issue the books aren't all out now is I understand that it's mostly a production issue where they have to be scanned from the paperbacks and then proofed due to the fact quite a few of the original PDFs only exist as photos of the original book.

So it's a bit time consuming but well worth it.

In which novel can man read about Cristof beating Vukodlak? Or are you talking about Vampire Redemption? That intrigues me as well, but at least in the game Vukodlak was so damn hard to beat that I quite enjoyed lol! And in any case in modern setting it's easier to deal with godlike methuselah than in the middle ages were Alexander got beaten.

Comment

In which novel can man read about Cristof beating Vukodlak? Or are you talking about Vampire Redemption? That intrigues me as well, but at least in the game Vukodlak was so damn hard to beat that I quite enjoyed lol! And in any case in modern setting it's easier to deal with godlike methuselah than in the middle ages were Alexander got beaten.
                          Yes, sadly I mean the game.

Theo Bell took a lot of flack for "killing" Marcus Vitel but they retconned that away in Beckett's Jyhad Diary.

Comment

Originally posted by CTPhipps View Post

Yes, sadly I mean the game.

Theo Bell took a lot of flack for "killing" Marcus Vitel but they retconned that away in Beckett's Jyhad Diary.

Yes, white wolf has a habit of making these unlikely situations happen in their writing and novels. I think this example of Theo Bell defeating Marcus Vitel is even more absurd than the case of Alexander being beaten, because at least in Alexander's case there were some other factors at play and we don't know the traits (i.e. the character's sheet, so to speak) of the characters involved. While in the case of Theo Bell beating Marcus Vitel we have access to both character's sheet and Theo Bell, albeit relatively powerful in its own right, has rather modest traits specially when man compares it to Marcus Vitel's that is basically a methusaleh with a huge arsenal of powers at his disposal.

Another weird situation is when Becket and Xaviar defeat Karsh. Even though we never had access to Becket's character sheet, we have Javiar and Karsh is WAY beyond the powers of Xaviar. So, we have many of these weird and unbelieveable situations in the history of the World of Darkness. Perhaps one could say that it has to do with the fact that some writers hired by WW have no understanding of the system, but then again I wouldn't know for sure.

Comment

Yes, white wolf has a habit of making these unlikely situations happen in their writing and novels. I think this example of Theo Bell defeating Marcus Vitel is even more absurd than the case of Alexander being beaten, because at least in Alexander's case there were some other factors at play and we don't know the traits (i.e. the character's sheet, so to speak) of the characters involved. While in the case of Theo Bell beating Marcus Vitel we have access to both character's sheet and Theo Bell, albeit relatively powerful in its own right, has rather modest traits specially when man compares it to Marcus Vitel's that is basically a methusaleh with a huge arsenal of powers at his disposal.

Another weird situation is when Becket and Xaviar defeat Karsh. Even though we never had access to Becket's character sheet, we have Javiar and Karsh is WAY beyond the powers of Xaviar. So, we have many of these weird and unbelieveable situations in the history of the World of Darkness. Perhaps one could say that it has to do with the fact that some writers hired by WW have no understanding of the system, but then again I wouldn't know for sure.
                              Mind you, I'm also of the opinion a lot of past characters were overpowered as well.

If a vampire is shot in the face by a dragonsbreath shotgun, Hardestadt or not, they should die.

Comment

Working...
                              X