How to end the Second Inquisition

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to end the Second Inquisition

I'm going to have the Second Inquisition gradually die down in my campaign and the vampires slowly piece together what's happened after using it heavily for a short time. I was curious how you guys would do something similar in your game.

Here's what I'm going to tell the player characters basically.

The ABC agencies that made up the alliance realized they couldn't share the information of vampires existing without causing massive panic, human rights violations, and people trying to side with them. So they kept it secret -- so they ran out of money from the tens of billions of dollars they originally had to pour into it. You can't explain to Senate subcommittees you're hunting monsters after all. The agencies also gradually stopped panicking and started thinking of vampires in the same sense that they think of drug cartels. They kill a lot of people but they aren't an existential threat to humanity.

So they've dialed down the operations to particularly overt vampires (ironically preserving the Masquerade) or ones that threaten their operations. Still want to get rid of them but there's terrorists goddamnit and leftists to monitor. Indeed, you could actually use vampires to help you interrogate, control, and abuse enemies of the state. This resulted in various agencies developing their own plans on dealing with the vampires in their nation and using them against vampires in other nations.

Others, bluntly, simply paid off people with their vast fortunes and made alliances to throw other vampires under the bus.

The Society of Leopold, which did benefit tremendously from this early on, was completely disgusted with this turnaround They've since started trying to figure out whether they should try breaking the Masquerade as a whole.
    How do you see the SI ending or possibly done so by outside forces? I can see the Camarilla eventually tearing apart or the Technocracy fully subsuming it in a "World" of Darkness. Maybe even just Marcus Vitel.
    Last edited by CTPhipps; 05-30-2019, 02:09 AM.

Author of Cthulhu Armageddon, I was a Teenage Weredeer, Straight Outta Fangton, Lucifer's Star, and the Supervillainy Saga.

The vampires realized what was going on and started moving in a coordinated manner.

Camarilla kill teams made up of lowish generation Elders (6/7) and with the backing of the sect as a whole for information and resources are formed and sent out to start disrupting things. The Cam starts coordinating sect wide political activity, choosing and backing (collectively) their own puppets for every level of elected office. The three letter agencies start having their agents be suborned or killed at the same time that massive PR campaigns are being waged to discredit them and their secrets are being selectively leaked in whichever manner most distracts and damages them.

The Church finds itself facing another wave of pedophilia issues, even reaching as high as some Cardinals and as a response politicians across the world start questioning its independence/legal immunity. Church leaders are assassinated by "Islamic terrorists" and the news media starts encouraging something to be done.

Nations are destabilized and put at one another's throats.

The Second Inquisition dies not because humans got tired of it or because vampires killed everyone involved, but because the Camarilla has (unlike during the first Inquisition) the coordination required to discredit it, to cause everyone involved a laundry list of other (more important) issues to deal with, and to turn mortal society as a whole against the inquisition.

Comment

Originally posted by CTPhipps View Post
      How do you see the SI ending or possibly done so by outside forces?

-

Comment

Originally posted by Pleiades View Post

The last game I played in actually had a Tzimisce Elder use Graft Life to Life and the other Vicissitude powers to create full blown dragons and similarly mythical monstrosities.

Comment

Originally posted by Sagacious Gamer View Post
          The last game I played in actually had a Tzimisce Elder use Graft Life to Life and the other Vicissitude powers to create full blown dragons and similarly mythical monstrosities.
          no need
          all you need for a Dragon is a 4th gen tzim with koldunism 9 or vicissitude 9 (forgot which)

or you summon them from the umbra,
          cainite vitae will prevent paradox from sending them back
          so you can have cainites worshiping Dragons and feeding it vitae to keep it around, ez pz

-

Comment

I'm going to have the Second Inquisition gradually die down in my campaign and the vampires slowly piece together what's happened after using it heavily for a short time. I was curious how you guys would do something similar in your game.

How do you see the SI ending or possibly done so by outside forces? I can see the Camarilla eventually tearing apart or the Technocracy fully subsuming it in a "World" of Darkness. Maybe even just Marcus Vitel.
            That change wouldn't make much sense, if they were not manipulated to do so imho. Maybe some Toreador/Ventrue/Camarilla elder is able to do it.

This is me, just forgot my PW and changed my email
            http://forum.theonyxpath.com/member/8249-crytash

Comment

Maybe... just maybe... the Nosferatu data base had some counter measure security programs in place. The SI thought it was hacking them, but in reality, it was the other way around, and now the Nosferatu have access to all their government secrets and classified information?

I've watched videos of people using Virtual Machines to upload viruses into hacker networks, so it seems entirely plausible that the Nosferatu would have a similar system in place for just such an emergency.

Comment

Originally posted by Crytash2 View Post

That change wouldn't make much sense, if they were not manipulated to do so imho. Maybe some Toreador/Ventrue/Camarilla elder is able to do it.
                For me, it was the idea that the World of Darkness in the face of supernatural evil faces it not with good but apathy and greed.

In other words that humanity's lack of care about the horror it finds is more likely to shut it down than any sinister plot.

I can understand if this doesn't exactly pop for some gamers.

Author of Cthulhu Armageddon, I was a Teenage Weredeer, Straight Outta Fangton, Lucifer's Star, and the Supervillainy Saga.

Comment

For me, it was the idea that the World of Darkness in the face of supernatural evil faces it not with good but apathy and greed.

In other words that humanity's lack of care about the horror it finds is more likely to shut it down than any sinister plot.

I can understand if this doesn't exactly pop for some gamers.

I feel - and i don't want to criticize you - that it is just not a very interesting way to develop the plot.

Comment

Originally posted by Crytash2 View Post
                    I feel - and i don't want to criticize you - that it is just not a very interesting way to develop the plot.
                    It opens opportunities to work with the SI while also not putting its end in the hands of powerful Elders or NPCs.

But I'm open to suggestions.

Comment

I'm beginning to think Bloodlines 2 will have Gangrel next, then Nosferatu, then maybe Banu Haqim. But I don't think we're ever going to get Lasombra or Setites given 2/3 of their Disciplines are signatures of other Clans, whereas their Signatures can at least be treated like how Tremere call Blood Sorcery Thaumaturgy with unique abilities and Malkavians call Dominate Dementation with their unique abilities.

"The only consistent wisdom is in knowing you know nothing" ~ Socrates

Comment

Originally posted by Imthestein View Post
                        I'm beginning to think Bloodlines 2 will have Gangrel next, then Nosferatu, then maybe Banu Haqim. But I don't think we're ever going to get Lasombra or Setites given 2/3 of their Disciplines are signatures of other Clans, whereas their Signatures can at least be treated like how Tremere call Blood Sorcery Thaumaturgy with unique abilities and Malkavians call Dominate Dementation with their unique abilities.
                        I'm inclined to think we'll MEET the Ministry in the game but not play them. I find it kind of annoying we meet a Nagaraja before we met a Setite.

Comment

I'm inclined to think we'll MEET the Ministry in the game but not play them. I find it kind of annoying we meet a Nagaraja before we met a Setite.
                          Woops, sorry, I thought I was posting in the Bloodlines 2 thread. I'll repost there.

"The only consistent wisdom is in knowing you know nothing" ~ Socrates

Comment

Well first of we should talk about the different possibilities:

A regional lock on the 2IQ : The Baron/Prince has gotten a complete file of all 2IQ members in the city -> Everybody gets little tasks to make them innocuous.
                            Some might be old priests and be "led to retirement", maybe some of the Agents with special zeal need to have accidents. Others might "find love" and want to get out of the job for family reasons

If you want to have agency for the players i would stick to that. Maybe several networks have been compromised and this is the first counterstroke. This way it will feel earned for everyone (this is also the way i will handle it).

Another possibility is some kind of plot device, like a blood magic ritual of the highest order that makes huge swaths of 2IQ agents forget everything they knew about vampires, while simultaneously having the Nosferatu delete and destroy evidence. The few that remain will branded as crazy again, which is def. Something funny to play around with, especially if you let your group "hunt" for super rare ingredients that the blood mages will need.

Now it could be another plot device, some kind of antedeluvian power or maybe we will see an alliance with other supernaturals (if you like crossplay) and united they are able to manipulate the agencies and the Leopolds.

It is imho all better than just magically say "Hey, those blankbodys are not dangerous, we might be highly trained, but we will sleep at the wheel again", because the threat of a kindred society is just way too high.

Comment

It opens opportunities to work with the SI while also not putting its end in the hands of powerful Elders or NPCs.

But I'm open to suggestions.
                              Working with the SI isn't an option that players are going to have.

An Elder playing games might be able to get away with it, assuming that he is interacting with the SI second or third hand and with cut outs. Anything less though? That is going to see the vampire(s) meeting the sun without even a chance to argue their case. Actually, working with the SI would probably get a vamp instantly on the Red List and right at the top of the Sabbat's own kill list.

Not to mention that the SI is populated, by and large, by fanatics. And fanatics that have some concept of just how nasty and machiavellian vampires can be. The SI isn't going to work with vamps beyond interrogating and killing them, at least not unless the vamps have their own power base sufficient to protect them from the SI.

You also need to realize that the SI is a threat to all kindred. A threat that announced itself by wiping out the power base of one of the most powerful vampires around and decapitating the Camarilla's most powerful (in naked force at least) clan. It is an enemy and situation that, in story, is going to merit (and receive) the concentrated attentions of virtually every vampire sect, clan, and power broker. Any Prince that tries to cut a deal with the SI is going to have his head lopped off by Alastors or Archons.

This is pretty much one of the handful of situations that would, in character, get the Elder's and Meth's to put aside their own conflicts and work together in a coordinated manner. And not just Camarilla only, the Sabbat leadership is just as opposed to the SI as the Camarilla's leadership.

If you want the PC's involved in dealing with the SI, then have them selected by one of the Elder's, Justicars, or Archons to help one of them with whatever facet of the overall plan they are charged with.

Comment

Working...
                              X