Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to end the Second Inquisition

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #91
    Originally posted by CoriolisEffect View Post
    The SI haven't broken the masquerade, so that's kinda shit for them.
    I mean, I know the book goes on about "the masquerade is broken" except uh... not really?
    Umm... the second inquisition IS the broken masquerade. They're the direct result of the Masquerade being broken.to the kine. Vampires hide who they are for the specific reason to avoid the appearance of well funded and powerful slayers ganging up on them.

    The Masquerade isn't just the public. Its individuals, government channels, and more. Its pretty much every mortal anywhere.

    If there are mortals out there with knowledge of vampires, and aren't under the direct control of said vampires (ie blood bonded), then said mortals are a Masquerade break.

    Deciding not to reveal the existence of the undead to the public at large is a different matter; there's plenty of reasons to not. Such as world wide panic, witch hunts targeting innocent people, political upheaval, and more. Its a wild card that could conceivably cost far more than other measures. And, maybe they do plan on a slower reveal, one that provides far more control over the exposure and minimizes the impact on regular humans.

    Alternatively, you also have to remember that this is a world where the government is controlled by the Technocracy, and they do NOT want regular people aware of anything supernatural. That would upset their paradigm.

    Normal mortals are kind of boring as an antagonist in an urban fantasy setting. Like I wanna visit a secret, magical world hidden underneath the surface of mundanity. I don't want to handle some middle aged jumped up fbi agents with no magical powers, no odd culture, and no fun history behind them.
    I don't know, they seem to have worked really well in a number of urban fantasy books I've read. Heck, nine times out of ten, the normal human is the protagonist as well.

    This doesn't sound like something innate to the genre.
    Last edited by MCN; 06-05-2019, 11:07 AM.

    Comment


    • #92
      Originally posted by MCN View Post
      Umm... the second inquisition IS the broken masquerade. They're the direct result of the Masquerade being broken.to the kine. Vampires hide who they are for the specific reason to avoid the appearance of well funded and powerful slayers ganging up on them.

      The Masquerade isn't just the public. Its individuals, government channels, and more. Its pretty much every mortal anywhere.

      If there are mortals out there with knowledge of vampires, and aren't under the direct control of said vampires (ie blood bonded), then said mortals are a Masquerade break.

      Deciding not to reveal the existence of the undead to the public at large is a different matter; there's plenty of reasons to not. Such as world wide panic, witch hunts targeting innocent people, political upheaval, and more. Its a wild card that could conceivably cost far more than other measures. And, maybe they do plan on a slower reveal, one that provides far more control over the exposure and minimizes the impact on regular humans.

      Alternatively, you also have to remember that this is a world where the government is controlled by the Technocracy, and they do NOT want regular people aware of anything supernatural. That would upset their paradigm.

      I don't know, they seem to have worked really well in a number of urban fantasy books I've read. Heck, nine times out of ten, the normal human is the protagonist as well.

      This doesn't sound like something innate to the genre.
      I think the Second Inquisition is probably a few thousand people globally. It's not remotely a broken Masquerade because that's the public knowing.

      YMMV.

      It's no more a broken masquerade than the Technocracy, I think.


      Author of Cthulhu Armageddon, I was a Teenage Weredeer, Straight Outta Fangton, Lucifer's Star, and the Supervillainy Saga.

      Comment


      • #93
        Originally posted by CTPhipps View Post
        I think the Second Inquisition is probably a few thousand people globally. It's not remotely a broken Masquerade because that's the public knowing.

        It's no more a broken masquerade than the Technocracy, I think.
        The Masquerade has never been about the public at large knowing. To quote the Traditions - "Thou shall not reveal thy true nature to those not of the Blood. Doing such shall renounce thy claims of Blood." The Masquerade has always been primarily focused on individuals.

        If you want to run things differently, don't let me stop you, but the book seems to be pretty clear that they're not focused on mass public exposure being the only kind of Masquerade breach.

        The Technocracy, as fellow supernaturals, is kind of a grey area. Vampires, werewolves, mages all know about each other. I'm not as familiar with changelings, demons and wraiths. So, its debatable if they count. The SI, however, are very much regular mortal humans, which is a completely different bag of worms from willworkers.

        Comment


        • #94
          Originally posted by MCN View Post
          The Masquerade has never been about the public at large knowing. To quote the Traditions - "Thou shall not reveal thy true nature to those not of the Blood. Doing such shall renounce thy claims of Blood." The Masquerade has always been primarily focused on individuals.

          If you want to run things differently, don't let me stop you, but the book seems to be pretty clear that they're not focused on mass public exposure being the only kind of Masquerade breach.

          The Technocracy, as fellow supernaturals, is kind of a grey area. Vampires, werewolves, mages all know about each other. I'm not as familiar with changelings, demons and wraiths. So, its debatable if they count. The SI, however, are very much regular mortal humans, which is a completely different bag of worms from willworkers.

          There is no grey area. Things that are not Vampires are scary creatures that want to kill you for reasonable(Mortal "DONT EAT US") or inexpicable("I am a creature of art how dare you call me Banal?"). You're not going to hide vampires exist from other supernaturals... but as the SI shows you don't need the Global Masquerade to get a lot of vampires killed.

          Like the other Traditions its very much "Enlightened Self Interest" its for yourown good to not interact with nonvampires who know what you are and you can't control.

          Comment


          • #95
            Originally posted by MCN View Post
            If you want to run things differently, don't let me stop you, but the book seems to be pretty clear that they're not focused on mass public exposure being the only kind of Masquerade breach.
            one of the "books" (players guide I believe) describes how there are humans that are aware of vampires that deal with them without problem, because they're smart enough to keep their mouths shut

            another of the "books" (midnight siege iirc) describes that both sects neglect breaches during wars in secluded areas,
            because no one's gonna believe the words of some poor housewife in the suburbs talking about fanged humans flailing black tentacles around)


            -

            Comment


            • #96
              CTPhipps: I liked your initial post in this thread to open this all up and I think there are some good ideas to try interspersed in the comments. I'm a little late to the convo

              In my game, the meta plot I developed well before V5 or the updated MET rules I went with more of a world wide crisis due to Gehenna not being what the prophets thought (long story) and once that played out differently, a group of Sabbat used the withering like event to assault the Inner Council who were in an emergency session. Most of them were wiped out, sending the Camarilla into turmoil and beginning a new War of Princes. Normally this would have allowed the Sabbat to take the upper hand but the goal of this splinter faction of Sabbat was not the annihilation of the Camarilla, but a grand distraction. This splint group began a civil war with their newfound fame within the Sabbat and pulled a hefty amount to their cause as they sought reformation within the sect.

              I've later amended this a little as there are certain elements of the V5 canon I like. So in this case I took the Alphabet soup agencies and the Society of Leopold and their combined actions and added them to the chaos, using the Nephite priesthood as their first joint operation (and explaining why all of them seemed to have vanished). I also amended Theo Bell's actions to coincide with the attack on the Inner Council, allowing him to off Hardestadt and Pieterzoon in the confusion and trying to bring the Brujah to the Anarchs.

              This has allowed a shake up of the three major vampire sects and in my game, giving it an end of the world feeling but most mortals still blind to the turmoil in the shadows.


              Lost Tribes Gaming:
              Shadow of the Phoenix: Sabbat 2nd and 4th Sundays 2 pm PST to 6 pm (-7GMT)
              Street Fighter: Generation Next 2nd and 4th Friday nights 8 pm PST to 12:00 am (-7GMT)
              Star Wars: Republic Black Ops 2nd and 4th Wednesday nights from 7 pm to 10:00 pm PST (-7 GMT) http://www.twitch.tv/losttribesgaming.

              Comment


              • #97
                Originally posted by MCN View Post
                Umm... the second inquisition IS the broken masquerade. They're the direct result of the Masquerade being broken.to the kine. Vampires hide who they are for the specific reason to avoid the appearance of well funded and powerful slayers ganging up on them.
                Yeah that's what I'm arguing doesn't work out so well in practice.

                Originally posted by CTPhipps View Post

                I think the Second Inquisition is probably a few thousand people globally. It's not remotely a broken Masquerade because that's the public knowing.

                YMMV.

                It's no more a broken masquerade than the Technocracy, I think.
                Yeah this. Supersecret organisations that works hard to keep the secret magical world secret does not constitute a broken masquerade.

                Comment

                Working...
                X