Dominate in Frenzied Characters?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dominate in Frenzied Characters?

So, how do you guys handle dominate against characters in Frenzy. I know they are more resilient to dominate while in frenzy, though I don't remember the exact system, can you guys refresh my mind as to what is the latest v20 system and or tell me your own way of dealing with it as storytellers? Thanks in advance!

Now I've just found the reference in the Dark Ages v20, it just raises by 2 the difficult of attempts of mental control over the character. I don't know why, but I think that in earlier versions it was implied that the character was immune to mind control while in Frenzy, but I might be mistaken.

Comment

Here's a collection of what I've found in previous editions regarding Dominate and Frenzy.
      • Vampire 1st Ed.
        • Dominate is a Willpower roll vs the Dominating Vampire's die pool (pg 96)
          • In a Frenzy a vampire does not have to make any standard Willpower rolls, being capable of doing nearly anything; (pg 123) this would imply that Dominate can't be used by a vampire in Frenzy.
          • Appropriate Social rolls can try to pull someone out of a Frenzy (made at difficulty 8+) it could be argued that Dominate would fall into this category as well (pg 124)
      • Vampire 2nd Ed.
        • All difficulties to Dominate are increased by 2 (pg 123-124)
      • Vampire Revised Ed.
        • All difficulties to Dominate are increased by 2 and all difficulties to resist the effects of Dominate are at -2. (pg228)
        • All rolls to use Dominate by the Frenzying vampire are made with a -2 difficulty bonus
      • Vampire 20th Anniversary Edition
        • All difficulties to Dominate the character are at +2 difficulty (pg 298)
      • Vampire the Dark Ages
        • Unclear, Dominate requires Willpower be spent to negate the successes on the Dominate roll (pg 150). Frenzy still negates the need to make most Willpower rolls, but overall says nothing about Dominate.
      • Dark Ages Vampire
        • All difficulties to Dominate are increased by 2 (pg 264)

Comment

I give a *LOT* of bonuses to vampires in frenzy under my house rules, because I like the temptation that it offers players. One of them is total immunity from Dominate.

From my rulebook:

There are three distinct “benefits” to Frenzy:

• A character in frenzy is immune to Dominate and Presence, and other similar powers.

• A character in frenzy does not suffer any wound penalties at all.

• While in a state of Frenzy, a character may reroll a number of combat or physical contests equal to his or her Beast rating. Any given roll can only be rerolled once.
        I also allow a voluntary frenzy to "break" a dominate command that has been issued but not completed. But voluntary frenzy isn't a good thing... it comes with all sorts of potential penalties down the line. But I've written the rules to focus on how humanity slips away as a statistical matter.

Comment

Originally posted by Cynic01 View Post
          Here's a collection of what I've found in previous editions regarding Dominate and Frenzy.
          • Vampire 1st Ed.
            • Dominate is a Willpower roll vs the Dominating Vampire's die pool (pg 96)
              • In a Frenzy a vampire does not have to make any standard Willpower rolls, being capable of doing nearly anything; (pg 123) this would imply that Dominate can't be used by a vampire in Frenzy.
              • Appropriate Social rolls can try to pull someone out of a Frenzy (made at difficulty 8+) it could be argued that Dominate would fall into this category as well (pg 124)
          • Vampire 2nd Ed.
            • All difficulties to Dominate are increased by 2 (pg 123-124)
          • Vampire Revised Ed.
            • All difficulties to Dominate are increased by 2 and all difficulties to resist the effects of Dominate are at -2. (pg228)
            • All rolls to use Dominate by the Frenzying vampire are made with a -2 difficulty bonus
          • Vampire 20th Anniversary Edition
            • All difficulties to Dominate the character are at +2 difficulty (pg 298)
          • Vampire the Dark Ages
            • Unclear, Dominate requires Willpower be spent to negate the successes on the Dominate roll (pg 150). Frenzy still negates the need to make most Willpower rolls, but overall says nothing about Dominate.
          • Dark Ages Vampire
            • All difficulties to Dominate are increased by 2 (pg 264)

Thank you very much Cynic01! Now I know where my "impression" came from.

Legendre, you have an insteresting case there, as it would indeed be a temptation to let the beast take control in order to avoid being dominated, while one have in mind the potential problems that might arise from such action. In any case, if I'm not mistaken, only characters that adhere to Instinct can voluntarily enter frenzy, or would that also depend on the version of the game?

Comment

Originally posted by Herr Meister View Post

Legendre, you have an insteresting case there, as it would indeed be a temptation to let the beast take control in order to avoid being dominated, while one have in mind the potential problems that might arise from such action. In any case, if I'm not mistaken, only characters that adhere to Instinct can voluntarily enter frenzy, or would that also depend on the version of the game?
            Yeah -- I've completely rewritten the rules pretty much from the ground up. It's run on a single D6 system rather than a dice pool system and there's a lot more mechanics relating to frenzy, humanity, etc.

PM me if you want a copy of the rulebook. I'll be happy to send one over.

Comment

Yeah -- I've completely rewritten the rules pretty much from the ground up. It's run on a single D6 system rather than a dice pool system and there's a lot more mechanics relating to frenzy, humanity, etc.
              Quite interesting! Thank you very much for the offer, so you use something similar to GURPS in your vampire games?

Comment

Working...
              X