Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Frost and Vampires

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Frost and Vampires

    Planing to do chronicle in Russia, where, at winter night tempature could fall to -35 or even -40 Celsius(and also wanting to create frost path of Koldunic Sorcery)
    So i wonder how frost and cold affecting cainites?

  • #2
    Originally posted by LastCourier View Post
    Planing to do chronicle in Russia, where, at winter night tempature could fall to -35 or even -40 Celsius(and also wanting to create frost path of Koldunic Sorcery)
    So i wonder how frost and cold affecting cainites?
    I rule in my game in extreme inhuman cold, vampires never freeze to death and are never uncomfortable.

    They do, however, often get sluggish and get a 1 dice penalty roll.


    Author of Cthulhu Armageddon, I was a Teenage Weredeer, Straight Outta Fangton, Lucifer's Star, and the Supervillainy Saga.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by LastCourier View Post
      Planing to do chronicle in Russia, where, at winter night tempature could fall to -35 or even -40 Celsius(and also wanting to create frost path of Koldunic Sorcery)
      So i wonder how frost and cold affecting cainites?
      Well you can impose penalties to their appropriate dice pools and cause bashing damage as I think is suggested in some books. Talking about a "winter path", it's a theme I've been thinking about for a long time, but rarely managed to put into system. In my current game there is a vampire with fae blood merit and he was from the court of winter, so I let him use the Changeling's Cryos Art. You can find it in the "World of Darkness: Blood Dimmed Tides" around page 70 if I'm not mistaken. One problem is that the level 5 is very op if you don't give the opponent a resist roll. In any case if you come up with a path I'd love to take a look at it.

      Comment


      • #4
        I wouldn't bother having it impact vampires at all. I think it's an interesting addition if vampires have a dramatically different relationship to the environment from normal humans.

        It probably isn't great for a vampire's equipment mind.


        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by LastCourier View Post
          Planing to do chronicle in Russia, where, at winter night tempature could fall to -35 or even -40 Celsius(and also wanting to create frost path of Koldunic Sorcery)
          So i wonder how frost and cold affecting cainites?
          Kindred have the problem that they're not usually generating body heat. On the other hand side, they can remain operational in deeper temperatures than humans. Clanbook Lasombra mentions a few Sabbat youngsters going barechested in winter to show how tough they are, only to regret the decision when they need to burn blood to not freeze.
          In V5, everything up to -30 is pretty much irrelevant to kindred, but lower temperatures force them to make rolls to not become sluggish at first and then finally freeze solid (followed by Torpor).

          Comment


          • #6
            Since kindred don't have body heat of their own, that paints a very amusing mental image of how the more seductive vampires go about their nightly business in Russia.

            "Cold hands, cold hands, cold hands, fuck!"

            Comment


            • #7
              I know that the old VtDA supplement about Viking vampires (name escapes me at the moment) had a system for cold affecting vampires.
              Iirc they don't really care about cold nights in normal climate, however Arctic cold has at least some impact on their physiology. Not to mention that summer nights are short AF (or non existent way far up north).





              English is not my native language, so i apologize for errors in grammar or spelling.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Cadmiumcadamium View Post
                I know that the old VtDA supplement about Viking vampires (name escapes me at the moment) had a system for cold affecting vampires.
                "Wolves of the Sea", p.81. The book refers to Vampire: the Dark Age (1998), p.201: vampire need to make Stamina+Fortitude rolls, starting at diff.3, increasing by 1 per roll, the time between the rolls is up to ST.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Kindred don't generate body heat, so while they might not be affected by cooler temperatures (as per the rulebooks listed by other users), freezing is going to be an issue. If they aren't generating heat, there's no heat for coats, pants, scarves, etc. to trap. So staying warm for prolonged periods of time would get horribly difficult.

                  I'd allow the pcs to spend blood to heat up if I were going to use this though.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    While I'm assuming you're using V20 given you're talking about a path of Koldunic Sorcery, V5 has an answer regarding this if you're interesting in adapting it. This is on pg. 221 if you're interested.

                    Extreme Cold
                    Though vampires cannot die from cold, they can suffer the effects of frostbite and even become entirely frozen in severe temperatures. Cold presents a special danger to vampires, because they have no bodily warmth save for a few minutes immediately following a feeding, and thus cannot easily detect dangerous drops in temperature. After an hour of extreme cold (-30°C or below), vampires must roll Stamina + Resolve (Difficulty 2) to keep moving. They test again each hour, increasing the Difficulty by 1 for each roll. On a failure, they stop moving and can only exercise mental disciplines. An hour after that, their flesh freezes solid and they enter torpor. Water conducts heat more efficiently than air; vampires in icy water test every half hour. A frozen vampire sinks, as they have no air in their lungs to provide buoyancy.


                    "The only consistent wisdom is in knowing you know nothing" ~ Socrates

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Jargal View Post

                      "Wolves of the Sea", p.81. The book refers to Vampire: the Dark Age (1998), p.201: vampire need to make Stamina+Fortitude rolls, starting at diff.3, increasing by 1 per roll, the time between the rolls is up to ST.

                      I always liked this option. And then the cainite could spend blood to heat up his body, that is not mentioned in the books but it's doable in my opinion.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I fail to see why the undead should be stopped by something as silly as heat or cold. There are lots of stories of undead beings who actively thrive in inhospital conditions.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by MCN View Post
                          I fail to see why the undead should be stopped by something as silly as heat or cold. There are lots of stories of undead beings who actively thrive in inhospital conditions.

                          Yes of course. There are even stories of an undead being blasted by 3 consecutive nuclear explosions and not giving a fuck, so why bother?

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by MCN View Post
                            I fail to see why the undead should be stopped by something as silly as heat or cold. There are lots of stories of undead beings who actively thrive in inhospital conditions.
                            For a Vampire to be able to operate at near absolute zero temperatures is truly a weird thought to me. Keep in mind Vampires are still made of matter and because of that even inorganic matter can be negatively affected by the cold. So, to me, this is why Vampires are affected by the cold. As for heat, I think Herr Meister makes a point about that, however exaggerated.


                            "The only consistent wisdom is in knowing you know nothing" ~ Socrates

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Imthestein View Post
                              For a Vampire to be able to operate at near absolute zero temperatures is truly a weird thought to me. Keep in mind Vampires are still made of matter and because of that even inorganic matter can be negatively affected by the cold. So, to me, this is why Vampires are affected by the cold. As for heat, I think Herr Meister makes a point about that, however exaggerated.
                              Is it really that much weirder than an animated corpse moved mostly by magic? I mean, Would magical Vitae freeze like normal blood? Does Magic have a freezing point?

                              I find it strange that people can find disciplines that let a vampire turn into a bat par for the course, but are skeptical of vampires being out in the snow without freezing.

                              Originally posted by Herr Meister View Post
                              Yes of course. There are even stories of an undead being blasted by 3 consecutive nuclear explosions and not giving a fuck, so why bother?
                              I think that's being a bit disingenuous, there is a mythological precedent for undead being fine in the cold.

                              Nukes are a very recent thing, and in the modern mythology they've developed a precedent for killing Everything even if that wasn't actually realistic(IRL: launching a nuke at a space ship wouldn't do much considering most of the damage and EMP only work if the nuke is detonated in atmosphere, otherwise it's a very bright and expensive normal missile)

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X