Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[WIR] The Gary Chronicles (Forged in Steel, Ashes to Ashes, Dust to Dust. etc)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CTPhipps View Post
    Allicia is a favorite character of mine despite the fact she's unable to talk and I've struggled with the ability to use her as a result.
    I like Allicia too, but have the same problems effectively utilizing her. It takes A LOT more work to communicate non-verbally to the PCs. And even if you find a way that works for you, it's hard to tell if it will work for the PCs. PCs are notoriously impatient, and I can see many players just not willing to put in the time. I think running Allicia can work as more than a background element, but only if a specific PC is really drawn to her and wants to explore her story, and thus is willing to put in the effort needed.

One thing not present in this book but I really liked is the REALLY obscure Storyteller's Screen that mentions that Allicia also has a side business you wouldn't expect from a stately lady-like woman. Specifically, she owns a high class strip club called The Torch that is the nicest one in Gary. I felt this was a nice contrast and helped reinforce that Allicia is a woman who traffics in sex, seduction, and the other tools of the succubus even if she doesn't LOOK like a person who does.
    I never knew this. That's a great piece of information to have. It really reminds you that she is indeed a vampire, and not just some ingenue.

Comment

Originally posted by Black Fox View Post

I like Allicia too, but have the same problems effectively utilizing her. It takes A LOT more work to communicate non-verbally to the PCs. And even if you find a way that works for you, it's hard to tell if it will work for the PCs. PCs are notoriously impatient, and I can see many players just not willing to put in the time. I think running Allicia can work as more than a background element, but only if a specific PC is really drawn to her and wants to explore her story, and thus is willing to put in the effort needed.
      A cellphone or give her a variant telepathy power. Maybe even having a (psychic?) ghoul that she someone communicates through.

E-mail would also be a huge boon to Allicia's undeath.

I never knew this. That's a great piece of information to have. It really reminds you that she is indeed a vampire, and not just some ingenue.
      Yeah, I agree. I think it really adds to her character in an interesting way and puts a new light on her seductions for Modius.
      Last edited by CTPhipps; 06-09-2019, 08:17 PM.

Author of Cthulhu Armageddon, I was a Teenage Weredeer, Straight Outta Fangton, Lucifer's Star, and the Supervillainy Saga.

Comment

This IS something I usually do for my games. I noticed this as well. In my head, there are several reason so many vampires take pseudonyms. First, it gives you a "vampire name" in recognition you are no longer one of the living - your old life is dead to you, completely irrelevant. This is more common the older vampires get, but there are certainly neonates who have the same desire. Second, many vampires - if only inadvertently - interact with mortals and need a mortal name. And since they have to hide and reset their mortal identities every few decades to throw off suspicion, they need another name by which they are known by their vampire peers and remains static.
        Don't forget that a nom de plume protects a vampire's mortal family, friends, and descendants. This is less a problem as the vampire ages, when only their distant blood relations persist, but in the vampire's youth it is vital. The Jyhad is high stakes, and plenty of rivals will scour the world looking for any leverage over the vampire...or a way to hurt them, if nothing else.

This can also include non-living things that were important to the Kindred in life, such as an institution they built or a work of art they made. If it exists, it could be destroyed, corrupted, or threatened. Hiding one's mortal origins is just good practice.

There's even another angle to this: magicians (mortal or undead) can use "objects" of the vampire's former life to target them, through the Rule of Contagion. Whether that "object" is a literal one (such as a favored possession or the house the vampire lived in for decades), or a person who shares a relation of blood or close friendship. Any of these could establish Contagion connection, to one degree or another (remember, even if blood sorcerers generally need blood, mortal magicians have no such limitation). Indeed, the vampire's True Name itself can be used to establish a connection, further encouraging Kindred to hide them behind pseudonyms.

Comment

Oh, here's a wiki summary of the Storytelling Screen that includes Allicia's club.

https://whitewolf.fandom.com/wiki/Va...ler%27s_Screen

======

Included in the Vampire Storyteller's Screen is a one chapter story that could be used as part of the Forged in Steel chronicle. It was meant to be played with two to five Kindred players and intended to be a story of terror and suspense, created by the introduction of an unseen and nearly indestructible adversary.

Blood at Dawn

The Plot

Allicia has invited people to an auction of The Torch, one of the best known strip clubs of Gary, Indiana and one of the area's prime hunting grounds. The price is whomever can make the best offer on how they can aid her in the future.

Suddenly, during the middle of the bidding, one of Allicia's retainers discovers a body drained of all blood in the alley behind the club. Allicia angrily orders that
          the body be disposed of and the players will have limited time and opportunity to do so before the police arrive on the scene. Lucian and an ally of his are also at the auction and want no interaction with the police, so they leave.

The players must get rid of or hide the body quickly as within moments the police will arrive on the scene, with the press following close behind. During this scene, whether the body is found or not, it will disappear from where it is hidden or police custody.

The players meet a Malkavian named Raymond Falcon who will give more information about what is going on if the characters ask the right questions. As dawn nears, the body reappears sneaking around the club and attacks the players. It is being inhabited by a spirit that was summoned by a Mage who promised it an immortal form to possess in exchange for revenge against Allicia.

The appendix gives information about the creation of spirit bags, foci that help summon and control spirits.

=====

It's a relatively short but effective adventure that I think would benefit from just removing the ghost angle completely. Raymond Falcone (actually Son in disguise) is the guy who drained the strip club patron dry and did it solely to fuck with the PCs and/or Allicia. A neat one-session adventure that shows you vampire entertainment can be merciless. The zombie element just opens way too many questions as well as why the mage doesn't try something less bizarre to get revenge on Allicia for whatever wrong she's done to the man.

I'm not going to review this, though since I never actually possessed the adventure and it's fairly straightforward aside from adding some nuance to Allicia.
          Last edited by CTPhipps; 06-09-2019, 08:29 PM.

Author of Cthulhu Armageddon, I was a Teenage Weredeer, Straight Outta Fangton, Lucifer's Star, and the Supervillainy Saga.

Comment

Like Leonard from Of Mice and Men, Michael is incredibly strong (Str 5) and can knock the hell out of you even if he doesn't have potence.
            Running him like Lennie from Mice & Men is the best way I could think of being able to use him.

That also gave me the hook of how we can survive. Just like George uses Lennie to help him survive, I believe one or more of the Gary Kindred likewise uses Michael. In return, they help out Michael to survive. Most likely this is Modius through Allicia, as she seems a gentle enough soul that Michael could trust her. In return, Modius has this very imposing looking man who looks like he could easily get angered if Modius is endangered. Which is something he needs, as he has no "muscle" to help him. That's how I ran it. Of course, Michael is useless as any kind of enforcer, but he might make someone think twice about starting violence at Modius's court.

He also has an Alertness of 5 and will flee from most Kindred unless he can trust them. He has a Herd of 3 people he can feed from safely but there's no indication who these individuals might be. He also has a Humanity of 10 (!!) and Willpower of 10 (!!). There's even the fact that he's stated to be an Innocent that has no aura of horror and no one has seen him feed--perhaps suggesting he's achieved Golconda simply through the purity of his child-like spirit.
            While I think some of this for Michael, in general the early NPC stats in Vampire often don't make sense. I found it best to redesign many of the NPCs mechanics wise so they have the powers they should be having, and getting rid of the powers they shouldn't.
            Last edited by Black Fox; 06-09-2019, 08:42 PM.

Comment

A cellphone or give her a variant telepathy power. Maybe even having a (psychic?) ghoul that she someone communicates through.

E-mail would also be a huge boon to Allicia's undeath.
              See, if it were me, I'd make her use letters. Maybe because she predates the advent cell phones or just because she's old-fashioned, but if she's interacting with vampires, she would write these notes in flowery script. Maybe she's an accomplished calligrapher, at least as a hobby.

It would also serve as contrast to her activity as a seduction-using matron of a strip club.

Comment

I am going to say I am a huge fan of Evelyn Stephens.
                I think she's a good character for the ST because she's easy to fit into somewhere, AND she has a good plot hook with her brother. However, I've never been in a game where she's been used - for some reason the two STs, who ran a Chicago game that I played in, never used her.

She's just an OK character by herself IMHO though. It's her connection to the moral world and hunters that makes her interesting.

Gregory Stephens is someone I presume is strong willed enough to have resisted Juggler's Dominate since it's such a personal and powerful thing that he experienced. Also, I don't believe you can just slip blood in someone's beer three times to make him a slave. I feel like that trivializes being a ghoul and the Blood Bond to an extent--I think in 5th Edition we're going to see it's something people have to do willingly.
                I cannot agree more. I've had several fights with players on occasion by not letting them establish a surreptitious blood bond so they could have a quick ally without working too hard on it. It's simply doesn't respect the lore of the genre. I don't know about the "willingly" part, but it should be a significant enough ingestion of blood that it is obvious.

I can't remember Stephen's Willpower, but the corebook also mentions "Neutrals" who are mortals naturally immune to Dominate. I tend to use the concept a lot to "protect" certain NPCs for plot purposes. But I keep it limited so players don't think I'm screwing them over.
                Last edited by Black Fox; 06-09-2019, 08:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluecho View Post
                  See, if it were me, I'd make her use letters. Maybe because she predates the advent cell phones or just because she's old-fashioned, but if she's interacting with vampires, she would write these notes in flowery script. Maybe she's an accomplished calligrapher, at least as a hobby.
                  This reminds that someone did use this for Allicia in a game I was in. And it was definitely described as having elegant calligraphy. But this was in one of those slam bam move on to the next plot coupon type adventure, and I can't remember if we even saw Allicia subsequently.

Comment

That will certainly ease communication, but also eliminates the appeal of that aspect of the character because her "disability" is no longer a disability. At that point, why not just make her seem very, very shy and talk softly on rare occasions, rather than someone who never speaks. If you are going to make that an aspect of the character, you need to play it up.

If she's someone who can effectively communicate, it eliminates her mysteriousness.

I don't think using letters with beautiful calligraphy does that because the nature of letter writing and the skill of using calligraphy (or at least fantastic penmanship) creates time and distance between Allicia and the PCs needed for an aura of mystery which cell phones and email do not.

So while it is certainly an option for STs, it wouldn't work for how I envision that NPC.

Comment

That will certainly ease communication, but also eliminates the appeal of that aspect of the character because her "disability" is no longer a disability. At that point, why not just make her seem very, very shy and talk softly on rare occasions, rather than someone who never speaks. If you are going to make that an aspect of the character, you need to play it up.

If she's someone who can effectively communicate, it eliminates her mysteriousness.

I don't think using letters with beautiful calligraphy does that because the nature of letter writing and the skill of using calligraphy (or at least fantastic penmanship) creates time and distance between Allicia and the PCs needed for an aura of mystery which cell phones and email do not.

So while it is certainly an option for STs, it wouldn't work for how I envision that NPC.
                      Every NPC has their appeals and disadvantages. There's a lot of which you can get out of Allicia and being someone the player characters interact with on a nonverbal basis. If a ST is committed to it, you can have her try to communicate with charades that something TERRIBLY WRONG is going on in Modius' palace. On the other hand, you may have STs who want another element of her like Modius' daughter or her as a Toreador tied to an insane Elder. In the end, these are just tools if the ST wants to be low effort about it, which isn't necessarily bad but does remove one of her things.

Mind you, in RL people do have tools to deal with disabilities.

This reminds that someone did use this for Allicia in a game I was in. And it was definitely described as having elegant calligraphy. But this was in one of those slam bam move on to the next plot coupon type adventure, and I can't remember if we even saw Allicia subsequently.
                      Cool beanz.

That also gave me the hook of how we can survive. Just like George uses Lennie to help him survive, I believe one or more of the Gary Kindred likewise uses Michael. In return, they help out Michael to survive. Most likely this is Modius through Allicia, as she seems a gentle enough soul that Michael could trust her. In return, Modius has this very imposing looking man who looks like he could easily get angered if Modius is endangered. Which is something he needs, as he has no "muscle" to help him. That's how I ran it. Of course, Michael is useless as any kind of enforcer, but he might make someone think twice about starting violence at Modius's court.
                      That seems a very rationale way of doing it.

Mind you, I think it also helps establish Modius is an asshole that sent Allicia to seduce a boy with the mind of a child. Because Modius does want to enslave every Kindred in Gary if he can.

He also does want more subjects, damn the Masquerade.

Originally posted by Bluecho
                      I cannot agree more. I've had several fights with players on occasion by not letting them establish a surreptitious blood bond so they could have a quick ally without working too hard on it. It's simply doesn't respect the lore of the genre. I don't know about the "willingly" part, but it should be a significant enough ingestion of blood that it is obvious.

I can't remember Stephen's Willpower, but the corebook also mentions "Neutrals" who are mortals naturally immune to Dominate. I tend to use the concept a lot to "protect" certain NPCs for plot purposes. But I keep it limited so players don't think I'm screwing them over.
                      In my current game, it's canonical that the Blood Bond enhances anything that a ghoul currently feels to their master and if you tried to Blood Bond a mortal who hates you without any sort of carrot, you just get a hunter. So its not hard, just Presence the guy or Dominate them ahead of time or do someone who is already a bit loyal because of money and it'll work.

But the slavish puppy like devotion and love requires something more.

It's also something you can't trick someone in. If a Kindred glass of blood has Vitae in it, they'll know and wretch it out if they don't want to drink it.
                      Last edited by CTPhipps; 06-09-2019, 08:51 PM.

Comment

Mind you, in RL people do have tools to deal with disabilities.
                        Except of course that Allicia doesn't actually have a disability which is why I put it in quotations. She CAN speak. It's just for whatever reason she chooses not to. Now this does indicate it's probably something psychological. But if she has some kind of weird reason to not communicate in speech, then the same thing is likely to manifest in other ways. Whether consciously or unconsciously, she is choosing to appear to be demure, innocent, and mysterious. I think it's partly psychological damage, but it is also an act.

I'm sure Walter Sobchak would agree.

And that would be interesting to explore psychologically. (My guess is that she finds vampirism to be very problematic, and that she is ashamed of the many things she needs to do in order to survive. Learning in this thread that she actually runs some strip club as her hunting ground is good indication of the kind of comprises she has made, and is probably ashamed of. So creating an appearance of helplessness and innocence is compensating behavior).

But if so, for both NPC personality motivation reasons and game reasons, I think it behooves the ST to not "expose" Allicia so that her mysteriousness is eliminated, which would happen if she simply utilized modern conveniences to compensate for her not speaking. If she wanted to do that, she could simply start speaking.

I think the main thing is for Allicia to appear demure, unknowable, frail, and therefore create an appearance of innocence. So regardless of her speaking, or texting, or writing letters/emails, as long as that is created, I'd find it OK. But any kind of speaking or texting is likely to be a slippery slope that quickly loses the sense of mystery with the character.

Comment

Danov

Danov is a Russian Elder Nosferatu searching for Golconda. This is basically the whole sum of his character and that's not necessarily a bad thing but I've had difficulty with Danov in much the same way as I've had with Michael. Which is to say that if you don't have a game focused on Golconda or the Inconnu that you kind of have issues. Indeed, the Inconnu's retcons also makes some of Danov's story not work out as well as it used to. The Inconnu were retconned as entirely consisting of the weirdos living in Hunnendora Castle and none of them achieved Golconda so having someone like Rebekah who HAS achieved Golconda in their service makes the whole thing a great deal more confusing.

Still, there's some good hints with Danov about what the Nosferatu clan will eventually become with him having a 4 in Computer Programming. He also has a 4 in Stealth with a specialization in Pursue. I think his Obfuscate is actually a bit too low at Level 3 and it would make more sense to have him have a 4 in Obfuscate at his age. Danov has a 4 in Resources and I find that not necessarily surprising but interesting to speculate on given he's an Elder Nosferatu.

I actually did expand on Danov's backstory and use him in a couple of games but I should note that I had to use later events to give him a bit more relevance to the plotline. For me, the big issue with Danov is that in the Gary, Coterie that he doesn't seem to have any interest or relationship to other characters. He is too powerful for Modius to control and the only person he interacts with is Lucien.

Among the things that I did do with Danov is I borrowed from Khalid in the fact that he used to be a fairly horrific Kindred who preyed on mortals with impunity. So much so that he still has some vampires seeking to deliver him to justice for the horrible crimes he did. It's an easy plot point that a "redeemed" Kindred might not deserve redemption. Another idea is that Danov was kicked out of Russia when the Brujah Council took over the region (1920s) and then is helping vampires escape from behind the Shadow Curtain. Maybe with Inconnu magic and resettles them in America. However, one of the group of Baba Yaga refugees is an enemy of Danov's from way back when and may even know his older self. You can also get into the politics of th Old Blood versus the Communist vampires while everyone else is like, "who gives a shit?"

Danov is the kind of character that you could easily transport to Chicago in 5th Edition and have him take over for for Khalid. You could also theoretically have Danov involved in the Church of Caine business as he strikes me as the kind of guy who could get heavily invested in a non-Sabbat Eastern Orthodox-style Church of Caine.

Comment

Except of course that Allicia doesn't actually have a disability which is why I put it in quotations. She CAN speak. It's just for whatever reason she chooses not to. Now this does indicate it's probably something psychological. But if she has some kind of weird reason to not communicate in speech, then the same thing is likely to manifest in other ways. Whether consciously or unconsciously, she is choosing to appear to be demure, innocent, and mysterious. I think it's partly psychological damage, but it is also an act.

I'm sure Walter Sobchak would agree.

And that would be interesting to explore psychologically. (My guess is that she finds vampirism to be very problematic, and that she is ashamed of the many things she needs to do in order to survive. Learning in this thread that she actually runs some strip club as her hunting ground is good indication of the kind of comprises she has made, and is probably ashamed of. So creating an appearance of helplessness and innocence is compensating behavior).

But if so, for both NPC personality motivation reasons and game reasons, I think it behooves the ST to not "expose" Allicia so that her mysteriousness is eliminated, which would happen if she simply utilized modern conveniences to compensate for her not speaking. If she wanted to do that, she could simply start speaking.

I think the main thing is for Allicia to appear demure, unknowable, frail, and therefore create an appearance of innocence. So regardless of her speaking, or texting, or writing letters/emails, as long as that is created, I'd find it OK. But any kind of speaking or texting is likely to be a slippery slope that quickly loses the sense of mystery with the character.
                            This is some fascinating insight and double points for using the Big Lebowski.

One thing that happened with V:TM is it became a lot more dark and overt so the mysteriousness of the 1st Edition sort of disappeared.

And it is kind of hilarious how much I think the strip club adds to her character.

Comment

Lucian

I've always been a fan of Lucian simply because of the fact he's an 8th generation Methuselah. Thats an inherently interesting concept to me: the idea this guy is old as dirt but he's someone who is ultimately limited by his generation. This would prove to be an issue in future games as the Generation concept would continually be attacked by players who kind of resented that diablerie was their only option once they realized just how much a difference generation made.

Blood Potency exists in the modern V:TM and that's a nice patch on the issue but it does exist as a iffy point on the lore. Part of the central theme of the game is the War of the Ages and I think if you don't have it be almost impossible to move up the ranks without diablerie then you lose a lot of the impetuous behind Blood Hunts, the hypocrisy of Kindred plotting to murder lower generation vampires for the blood while concealing it, and the fact that diablerie is considered THE WORST OF CRIMES yet it happens all the time.

I should mention that in my games, diablerie is something people talk a good game about and express their disgust for but is something that almost every Elder over a certain age has committed. I have a very "you keep what you eat" feel about Elders and think that almost every rule by the Elders of the Camarilla is something they're projecting on. Diablerie is something they talk a good game about but are against. What does this mean? Well, Lucian hasn't done it in all likelihood and that's impressive.

Basically, the character of Lucian is that he's a 2000 year old vampire who is a former Roman Centurion that has survived to the Modern Age. He's not very powerful for his age, probably closer to someone Danov's power level but is very wise with a lot of Kindred knowledge (occult 5: vampires). He isn't the master of a vast hidden empire, though, but runs the Gary Export company that ferries vampires to and from Chicago. I imagine his power in the region has decreased significantly since the advent of Tyler taking over the airport but he's not overly interested in power.

Probably why he's in Gary to begin with.

As you can guess, I've got a backstory for my Lucian but it's not particularly lengthy. He's "been there, done that" for Kindred society but I drew heavily on Connor Macleod of Highlander fame. He's a seaman because it turns out that is a fairly decent place to avoid the Jyhad. He's a guy who has become very jaded about Kindred society so he just stays away from it as much as possible. How has he survived so long? Generally, he manages to avoid becoming entangled in other Kindred's affairs as much as possible. It hasn't always worked but he's lasted long enough that it is HARD to control him.

I added another element to his character that I felt enriched his character in that he's a member of the True Hand. My True Hand doesn't have Abominations or the Shadow Crusade (let alone the Baali) but is more a stereotypical Gehenna Cult that just so happens to have Elders on both sides of the Camarilla/Sabbat divide. Nevertheless, Lucian is the perfect agent for them as he is away from Chicago and its politics but is plugged in the right place to watch everything go down. They also are fairly genuine about the whole, 'Do not commit diablerie. Not even once.'

One thing I should note is that I have also experimented with Lucian being the vampire who is behind Williams the Slaver. Lucian is from a slave-holding society and doesn't particularly see much wrong with the practice. In my version, this Lucian would be a follower of the Road of Chivalry (Roman edition) and not the Path of Humanity. Williams would be, however, a much more nasty individual with a Humanity of 1 and is arguably much worse. Lucian, of course, is still facillitating the practice to gain boons from other Kindred as well as potentially spies.

Lucian could easily be Prince of most cities but why would he want to be? It just makes you a target and he's not strong enough to be Primogen of a place like Chicago (an irony there). The best role for him is to be a source of eldritch lore, Noddism, and advice about all the clans like Smiling Jack to an extent. Talk is cheap and Lucian doesn't need much from most Neonates but could probably fill in most of the blanks they have on Kindred society. It might not all be accurate and would be heavily biased but he'd be a source of information most Kindred would kill for just for the pleasure of talking, IMHO.

Comment

Danov is a Russian Elder Nosferatu searching for Golconda. This is basically the whole sum of his character and that's not necessarily a bad thing but I've had difficulty with Danov in much the same way as I've had with Michael. Which is to say that if you don't have a game focused on Golconda or the Inconnu that you kind of have issues. Indeed, the Inconnu's retcons also makes some of Danov's story not work out as well as it used to. The Inconnu were retconned as entirely consisting of the weirdos living in Hunnendora Castle and none of them achieved Golconda so having someone like Rebekah who HAS achieved Golconda in their service makes the whole thing a great deal more confusing.
                                I've always liked Danov, but mostly because his portrait is very good. He's an inhuman Nosferatu, but is less obviously grotesque than others drawn in the Chicago books, and he seems to wear nice clothes.

I've run Danov as someone who decided to be in Gary because he knows Chicago is a cesspit, and he needs somewhere safe to be. Gary does not have a lot of vampires, and one of them is his friend Lucian. And he knows Modius and Modius' slim coterie won't risk offending him. It's relatively safe as long as he stays low key. I've always run him as someone who has JUST arrived in the Chicagoland area thanks to Lucian, and he needs someone or some people to orient him. He has leads to pursue, but is still missing a lot of actionable information. As a seeker of Golconda, he has multiple potential "targets" in Chicago to seek out - Johann Weltman, Menele, Khalid, Erichtho, Rebekah, perhaps even Capone. Are any of them actually knowledgeable? Are any of them actually real or just rumor? Are any of them actually dangerous? What few scraps does he possess which might lead to one of them? Better to know before he approaches any of them. After all, he has plenty of time. He can afford to take a decade or so finding out.

As a result, he can be a good "quest giver" by asking the PCs to investigate certain things or do certain things (to see how certain vampires react) and get back to him. He has the Resources and knowledge to be a worthwhile patron or mentor. Do him some favors, and he can do some for you. After he tests his theories, sees how people react, and collects more information, he'll be prepared to start contacting people directly.

So I think if you run him as someone who sees the PCs as a tool he can use, he can be more or less a trustworthy patron. His quests can get the PCs more involved in Chicago by acting as a tripwire for him. At the same time, as a seeker of Golconda, he acts relatively humanely and does not intend any actual harm to the PCs or to mislead them.
                                Last edited by Black Fox; 06-11-2019, 01:51 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X