Plague Barer Duration?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plague Barer Duration?

So, this is something that I've always been curious about since playing Bloodlines 1, but I don't think I've found any information regarding it.

If a vampire does manage to contract some kind of illness and becomes a Plague Barer, how long do they remain a carrier of that illness?

As it stands now, I would think that a vampire could resolve the situation through a form of blood letting. Rapidly burning the contaminated blood from their system and then replacing it with something of more healthier stock. But the way it was presented in the first game made it sound like this was more of a permanent problem that could only be resolved via the Final Death.

The fact our character immediately starts vomiting after drinking contaminated blood also seems to indicate that if they allowed the disease to fester, they would have been quite screwed.

Originally posted by Nyrufa View Post
    So, this is something that I've always been curious about since playing Bloodlines 1, but I don't think I've found any information regarding it.
    that's because there's none,
    typical white-wolf-being-shy-on-giving-details syndrome

all I know is that in 2nd ed, diseases were a big deal, and there was a disease that wiped a 1/3rd of the sabbat population,
    (however, it was later implied that some mages were responsible for it (Verbena I believe))

but at the same time, the book said that that sort of thing should only be a ST hard call if they needed some plot device to make vampiric life even more tragic (as if it needed any more tragedy, amiright?)

so, yeah, white wolf smh

but my own interpretation is, like you said, just blood letting should be fine (add some good fang cleaning),
    unless it's mystical in nature, but even then, I'd rule blood letting should be enough

-

Comment

Pleiades Thank you!

Also, with the amount of people who suffer from illnesses which don't always have publicly visible symptoms, one would think that every kindred would have been a Plague Barer at least once in their unlives.

Comment

yeah, it would be too hard to avoid disease

v5 doesn't have anymore detail,
        it says you can infect humans you feed on, but the germs die out in the vampire's system (if I understood correctly),
        no mention of blood letting, and no mention how long it would take for the germs to die out

so yeah, 20 years later, still not enough details, smh

-

Comment

Typically, catching a disease simply requires the Keith Richards treatment. Having the related flaw (or being a Lamia) is an atypical case, which cannot be fixed that way.

Comment

In V20, page 483, there is the "Disease Carrier" flaw. The ability to buy off flaws has always been vague in VtM. Most games I've played houseruled that flaws can be bought off, with an in-game explanation.

In fluff, being a disease-carrier seems to be a more-or-less permanent condition, or at least most other vampires treat disease bearers as if it were irreversible.

If you're the sort who likes to mix modern science with your games, I'll point out that most pathogens have an environment that is best for their survival. As you might expect, most pathogens are happiest in conditions similar to a normal human body. This is why fevers help clear out infections; it gets too hot for the pathogen and it becomes easier for the immune system to attack it. The body also tends to make an infected area slightly more acidic at the point of an infection, for the same reason.

A human corpse, which vampires are, undergoes quite a few changes post-mortem. They would ordinarily be room temperature and their blood pH drops, becoming more acidic. Ammonia builds up in the body, making it quite unwelcoming to pathogens. Also, the body goes from being an oxygen-rich environment to an anoxic environment. This all adds up to an environment less hospitable to pathogens than popular imagination would hold. While a few pathogens (like certain forms of hepatitis and gastroenteric pathogens, plus more exotic stuff like filoviruses and prions) remain hot in a corpse for longer periods, most don't do very well. Of course, YMMV, and children still shouldn't play with dead things.

This all implies that plague-bearing vampires might want to avoid using the blush of life while recovering, to prevent creating a temporarily good environment for the pathogen. It may also be helpful to create wild swings in the bodily environment. Flooding the body with a mild acid or base, or other toxic substances; subjecting the subject to very low or very high temperatures; or exposing the subject to radioactive materials may help destroy the infection. For diseases with a favored reservoir, like skin or gut infections, surgical dissection or full excision of the involved organs may help. If any of this sounds familiar, it should. It's how cancer is treated.

Comment

Originally posted by Pleiades View Post
              yeah, it would be too hard to avoid disease
              Especially the Nosferatu, living in sewers, crypts and condemned buildings. Wading through raw sewage and other sorts of foulness, one would think the entire clan was carrying typhoid fever, or something like that!

Comment

Originally posted by Nyrufa View Post

Especially the Nosferatu, living in sewers, crypts and condemned buildings. Wading through raw sewage and other sorts of foulness, one would think the entire clan was carrying typhoid fever, or something like that!
                yeah, also the gangrel carrying god-knows-what from feeding from animals,
                sabbat and their ritae,
                if you factor in sabbat diablerie habits, nosferatu being one of their first targets during sieges, and the Camarilla boys being allowed to diablerize during sect wars...imagine the mess

add to that the fact that in the Camarilla, you can be forced into a blood-bond (from someone with diseased blood)

it's really unsustainable

-

Comment

Working...
                X