Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How would you describe 5th Edition's world to returning players?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How would you describe 5th Edition's world to returning players?

With the good news over Origins, I was curious how fans of 5th Edition would describe the setting to any gamers who want to come back to the World of Darkness. Just a basic summary of the feel and world changes that would do wll as a pitch.

I feel like we all have different ideas and sharing them will help.

Author of Cthulhu Armageddon, I was a Teenage Weredeer, Straight Outta Fangton, Lucifer's Star, and the Supervillainy Saga.

I described it to my friends (who are only familiar with Revised and V20) as: "They moved the metaplot forward to present day. Gehenna happened, but it wasn't as bad as everyone thought it would be. There's a 2nd Inquisition now from world governments and the Tremere got got. The Vienna chantry burned to the ground and the clan is fractured. Also some Lasombra have jumped ship to the Cam."

From that point, it was mostly mechanical discussion. Honestly, I like what they've done with the metaplot and that has always been my favorite part about this game. I will probably stick with V20 systems though. I haven't really dug deep into the mechanics yet, but we're all intimately familiar with v20, so it would be a bit of a hassle to switch over. I will probably just incorporate the new plot stuff.

Comment

"It's like V20 with better rules but without all the cool stuff".

^_^

I'm actually being serious here. V5 is excellent for street-level styles of play, where you play beleaguered vampires caught up in sinister but down-to-earth intrigues, driven by ambition and ravening, desperate hunger. It does that very good, I'm a player in a V5 chronicle and I love it.

But if you wanna run epic stories with ancient mysteries, crossover WoD elements, lots of weird stuff and general urban fantasy feel, like I do when I'm the storyteller, you'd better stick to V20. I mean, the lead designer of V5 explicitly said that urban fantasy is silly and has no place in Vampire. I strongly disagree.
      Last edited by Natsymir; 06-18-2019, 06:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Natsymir View Post
        "It's like V20 with better rules but without all the cool stuff".

^_^

I'm actually being serious here. V5 is excellent for street-level styles of play, where you play beleaguered vampires caught up in sinister but down-to-earth intrigues, driven by ambition and ravening, desperate hunger. It does that very good, I'm a player in a V5 chronicle and I love it.

But if you wanna run epic stories with ancient mysteries, crossover WoD elements, lots of weird stuff and general urban fantasy feel, like I do when I'm the storyteller, you'd better stick to V20. I mean, the lead designer of V5 explicitly said that urban fantasy is silly and has no place in Vampire. I strongly disagree.
        I would hope the lead designer understands and enjoys the genre he is writing. I would not want someone who thinks superheroes are silly to say, work on the MCU .

Comment

I would currently describe it as "Origin Award Winning".

Comment

I think I'd say "The stuff that you always thought should be close to happening? It's happened.
            Gehenna has started, though somewhat smaller-scale and mostly affecting the elders.
            The Sabbat which has spent centuries preparing to fight the Antediluvians actually fights them now.
            The same Sabbat which has spent centuries using 'eh, kill them all' as a sloppy Masquerade has been found out and has subsequently been decimated in daylight raids.
            The mortal alphabet agencies which, even before we knew about PRISM and its cousins, were depicted as close to figuring out who the real movers and shakers are... have figured it out.
            The Tremere who put all their eggs in one basket in Vienna got that basket obliterated via drone-strike, possibly after a tip-off by someone in the long, long row of Tremere enemies.
            The Brujah who rebelled against the Cam since its inception actually did something sufficiently dramatic to get kicked out.
            And so on...

Comment

Working...
            X