Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many mortals does a vampire kill in a year?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pentex is wealthy as hell, and have connections out the wazoo. As Real Life sadly shows, it's hard enough to get the government to take ACTUAL environmental threats seriously, if the ones in power are ardently committed to making personal profit off of lobbyists.

Yes, if the Veil broke down, the Garou could find allies. But Pentex could, too. And they have the resources and clout to not only get their own allies in government, but also to run slick propaganda campaigns against their shifter enemies. You think Pentex isn't sitting on mountains of security footage that can be edited together to show Garou as insatiable murder-monsters, who attack people for no reason? They've had long enough to figure out how to "scrub the Delirium" off said footage, so they can use it against the shifters. Even if they haven't, they can make stuff up, and clog all levels of the media with disinformation to either sway public opinion, or just jam the discourse so nothing gets done. Keep people arguing about even basic things - like Facts - and it'll take a while to get anything done.

No, it doesn't MATTER if it wouldn't work in the long run. Pentex serves the Wyrm. They aren't playing the same game as the Garou or Humanity for that matter. Pentex's Win Condition in this fight is to slow roll the titular Apocalypse, and be the last ones standing when it's over. If the Veil fell tomorrow, the executives would be a little bummed out that this phase in their lives of privilege is over, but they'll go forward with dragging the whole mess out as long as possible. Until it eventually becomes too late to do anything about the End of the World.

That the world's eyes would be fixed on any Garou that try to force the issue at the last minute would only HELP their cause in this regard. At least in terms of making people so busy fighting each other and the Garou, they don't stop what Pentex and other corporations are doing.

Comment

If you got the deity of handwave to drop a reasonable amount of exposition into the brains of all humans, some groups like the Children of Gaia or the Council of Nine, would look half decent. But at the rate and condition of clarity normal news gets out. The well heeled ( Pentex, the Syndicate) and the well conected (the NWO, the Camarilla) would look good. The rest would look suspicious.

Comment

Originally posted by CTPhipps View Post

Part of the issue is that I believe a lot of people are stuck in the Requeim mentality that the World of Darkness is just, "Our World+Vampires." Which it is not. The World of Darkness is an exaggerated, dystopian horror setting where people are cursed with apathy, corruption, and horror dialed up to the 11. So, there's about 600,000 people who disappear every year and while they may be found again, in the WOD that could 3 or 4 times that much and life just carries on.

It is a very cynical and dark take on humanity.
        That sounds like a bad excuse IMO.

Even in a setting where everyone is an asshole humans would want to protect themselves becuase that is what happened when the 1st inquisition striked tons of vampires down so if then it worked why not now? Internal is a thing and killing humans as a way of feeding is antimasquerade as fuck , one error is undestanable becuase everyone fucks things up eventually but making an habit out of the error calls for a blood hunt.

Hunger pool

Comment

Originally posted by Leandro16 View Post

That sounds like a bad excuse IMO.

Even in a setting where everyone is an asshole humans would want to protect themselves becuase that is what happened when the 1st inquisition striked tons of vampires down so if then it worked why not now? Internal is a thing and killing humans as a way of feeding is antimasquerade as fuck , one error is undestanable becuase everyone fucks things up eventually but making an habit out of the error calls for a blood hunt.
          You said it right there.

humans would want to protect themselves.

Humans don't want to protect humanity and the Masquerade is fueled and funded by humans more than vampires. Honestly, there's plenty of vampires I'd side with over my fellow humans and such is the case in the WOD. I don't believe for a second when the Second Inquisition figures out vampires kill less people than, say, Drug Cartels that they won't go, "Eh" and start to forget about them.

Apathy is humanity's greatest gift.

Author of Cthulhu Armageddon, I was a Teenage Weredeer, Straight Outta Fangton, Lucifer's Star, and the Supervillainy Saga.

Comment

Originally posted by CTPhipps View Post

You said it right there.

humans would want to protect themselves.

Humans don't want to protect humanity and the Masquerade is fueled and funded by humans more than vampires. Honestly, there's plenty of vampires I'd side with over my fellow humans and such is the case in the WOD. I don't believe for a second when the Second Inquisition figures out vampires kill less people than, say, Drug Cartels that they won't go, "Eh" and start to forget about them.

Apathy is humanity's greatest gift.
            Humans don´t sound very apathic when the idea that you need a masquerade to hide from them is in the cover

Neither do the inquisitors

Hunger pool

Comment

Even in a setting where everyone is an asshole humans would want to protect themselves becuase that is what happened when the 1st inquisition striked tons of vampires down so if then it worked why not now?
              Inquisitors were imbued, they had ways to spot vampires and resist their powers

-

Comment

Originally posted by Pleiades View Post

Inquisitors were imbued, they had ways to spot vampires and resist their powers
                That´s worse it means that aside of regular hunters you also have superpowered hunters wich is another reason for maintaining a low profile.

Hunger pool

Comment

That´s worse it means that aside of regular hunters you also have superpowered hunters wich is another reason for maintaining a low profile.
                  maintaining a low profile doesn't work against imbued

imbued are rule breakers, they're as bad as antideluvians,
                  Vegas got rekt by them

elders would die from imbued

the Camarilla (not the sabbat) were the first to suffer their presence

you can't hide from them, they can spot you and know you're a vampire
                  you can't mind control them or presence them, they'll resist it
                  you can't bond them and you can't embrace them either

all you can do is fight them
                  not only fighting is not very vampire friendly, they can fight during the day just fine while you can't

the masquerade was never a good idea,
                  it was just one Toreador elder that used the panic to push his agenda of enforcing the masquerade during the formation of the Camarilla

-

Comment

Originally posted by Pleiades View Post

maintaining a low profile doesn't work against imbued

imbued are rule breakers, they're as bad as antideluvians,
                    Vegas got rekt by them

elders would die from imbued

the Camarilla (not the sabbat) were the first to suffer their presence

you can't hide from them, they can spot you and know you're a vampire
                    you can't mind control them or presence them, they'll resist it
                    you can't bond them and you can't embrace them either

all you can do is fight them
                    not only fighting is not very vampire friendly, they can fight during the day just fine while you can't

the masquerade was never a good idea,
                    it was just one Toreador elder that used the panic to push his agenda of enforcing the masquerade during the formation of the Camarilla
                    Better fight them alone than surrounded by a mob then.

That said I dind´t remember them so broken at all in fact i rember that the ability to detect others supernaturals requires them to be actually suspicious and that they where definied as slightly superhuman and if fact their powers usually where capped by a difficulty setted by the resistence of their objetive they will work against powerful elders.But i am gonna reread their book
                    Last edited by Leandro16; 07-06-2019, 01:04 PM.

Hunger pool

Comment

That said I dind´t remember them so broken at all in fact i rember that the ability to detect others supernaturals requires them to be actually suspicious and that they where definied as slightly superhuman and if fact their powers usually where capped by a difficulty setted by the resistence of their objetive they will work against powerful elders.But i am gonna reread their book
                      there's an optional rule in vtm storyteller handbook that allows elders and meths to challenge the resistance (don't know if this applies to elders in general, or the low gen ones)

-

Comment

Originally posted by Aleph View Post

Went missing and were never found or just went missing?

Because a lot of people get reported as "missing" and then get found. If your statistic takes in count all reports, then a lot of that people could have been found. People killed by vampires ain't going to be found again, ever (not alive, at least).

I imagine that even if your statistic hasn't that distinction the relevant number it's still going to be very high (there's a LOT of humans)...still I think it's quite relevant.
                        I have been unable to find a distinction, one did say unresolved. But who knows what that means.

I would hate to believe that figure but given birth rates, who knows. I do find it odd that you cannot find the exact number easily as other crime statistics.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluecho View Post
                          Pentex is wealthy as hell, and have connections out the wazoo. As Real Life sadly shows, it's hard enough to get the government to take ACTUAL environmental threats seriously, if the ones in power are ardently committed to making personal profit off of lobbyists.
                          The Ventrue and Lasombra are wealthy as hell too. Their whole gimmick was basically acting as the "vampire illuminati" by controlling both the government and religious institutions from behind the scenes. But once the Masquerade got broken, the government decided to go on the offensive, and now the clans are running scared.

Plus, doesn't Pentex have regular alliances with both the Sabbat and the Black Spiral Dancers? If that news were to leak out, the Second Inquisition would probably declare them traitors on the spot.

Also, no matter how wealthy a mega corporation is, I doubt they have the clout to openly take on the government, once it's decided to wage war against them. What, is Pentex in the business of supplying private military contracts, as well?
                          Last edited by Nyrufa; 07-15-2019, 09:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nyrufa View Post

The Ventrue and Lasombra are wealthy as hell too. Their whole gimmick was basically acting as the "vampire illuminati" by controlling both the government and religious institutions from behind the scenes. But once the Masquerade got broken, the government decided to go on the offensive, and now the clans running scared.

Plus, doesn't Pentex have regular alliances with both the Sabbat and the Black Spiral Dancers? If that news were to leak out, the Second Inquisition would probably declare them traitors on the spot.

Also, no matter how wealthy a mega corporation is, I doubt they have the clout to openly take on the government, once it's decided to wage war against them. What, is Pentex in the business of supplying private military contracts, as well?
                            Pentex is very likely to throw their allies under the bus because....well they're assholes.

I'm just saying its very hard to prove they're traitors to humanity over the literal 9ft death machines.

Author of Cthulhu Armageddon, I was a Teenage Weredeer, Straight Outta Fangton, Lucifer's Star, and the Supervillainy Saga.

Comment

Working...
                            X