The one rule/element you always House Rule

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The one rule/element you always House Rule

Unless you're a RAW purist, I'm sure there is something big or small that you always or almost always invoke the Golden Rule for. What is it? A trait on character sheets? A clan? The Antediluvians or Caine? Do you remove an entire type of supernatural from your chronicles like werewolves or ghosts? Perhaps you just don't like Dementation and substitute it with Dominate? What's that one particular thing that irks you to the point of removing or retooling it, and if you're not the ST, urges you to use Presence or full-blown Dominate on your friend running the game?

Every discipline power costs a blood to activate.

Comment

The list is so extensive I had to basically rewrite the entire game. But the five biggies are probably:

1. Fortitude simply prevents damage 1:1. (I don't think this is a big deal butmy players always comment on it so I include it here)
      2. Every clan gets 4 disciplines
      3. Every clan was created separately at a different point in time, ranging from ancient Sumeria [gangrel] and Egypt [setites] to dark ages Spain [Lasombra] and Medieval Carpathia [ Tzimisce]
      4. Most disciplines just work without a roll, and those that can be resisted are much harder to resist.
      5. Characters have a separate Beast score that contests against Humanity for frenzy rolls.
      Last edited by Legendre; 07-07-2019, 12:20 PM.

Comment

mostly for crossovers (cause I like KJ)
        can soak agg damage with stamina at diff 8 (cause kote has aggravated damage written all over it),
        not including fire and sunlight

also KJ can get blood bond
        and they can't resist dementation with p'o (this one is not really a house rule, it's a rule that was retconned, and I didn't like that it got retconned)

also, animals can be embraced...I know, I know, it's stupid and all but, animal ghouls just don't do it for me
        Last edited by Pleiades; 07-07-2019, 01:10 PM.

-

Comment

(V5) Touchstones don't have to be living humans; anything that ties you to your Humanity works.

(V20) Tremere get an actually relevant clan flaw of some sort.

Comment

Originally posted by Legendre View Post
            2. Every clan gets 4 disciplines
            I'm really curious to know what each clan got. Did they still have their default three disciplines or was it a whole rewrite on what each clan got? Like do Gangrel still get Protean, Animalism, and Fortitude, but then get a bonus?

4. Most disciplines just work without a roll, and those that can be resisted are much harder to resist.
            I'm usually quite a dice-lite ST'er myself, so I typically am like this or I heavily modify what needs to be accomplished. If the power used blood I feel that's usually enough unless we're talking about power vs. power, will vs. will. If the player had to spend willpower then I rarely would ask for a roll. To me, that's a great enough cost most of the time. If the ability is something they've never used before then I'll give them a greater difficulty/prerequisite to simulate how demanding it is to learn something new. The more they use the ability, the lower the difficulty gets, but they need to spread it out since the powers tend to cost blood and all that. If their starting points are 2 or higher in a Discipline, then the lower levels of it come more naturally since their character already had to master that level to progress higher.

Originally posted by Pleiades
            also, animals can be embraced...I know, I know, it's stupid and all but, animal ghouls just don't do it for me
            I just look at it like hell-hounds. They're now a permanently unnatural creature that is intensely loyal to the vampire, but now has a much more bloodthirsty nature to them. Probably would want them to be immune to the usual weaknesses of vampires though since, at least in my mind, they're not a true vampire. Just my two cents on that. Sounds interesting though!

Comment

Originally posted by The Dreamweaver View Post
              I'm really curious to know what each clan got. Did they still have their default three disciplines or was it a whole rewrite on what each clan got? Like do Gangrel still get Protean, Animalism, and Fortitude, but then get a bonus?
              It's mostly a "bonus" added on to the existing three. There are a few exceptions -- e.g., my Setites don't have Obfuscate anymore.

Brujah: Celerity, Necromancy, Potence, Presence
              Gangrel: Animalism, Fortitude, Protean, Sharusin
              Malkavian: Auspex, Dementation, Dominate, Obfuscate
              Nosferatu: Animalism, Obfuscate, Potence, Protean
              Toreador: Auspex, Celerity, Presence, Protean
              Tremere: Auspex, Dominate, Potence, Thaumaturgy
              Ventrue: Dominate, Fortitude, Obfuscate, Presence
              Setites: Dominate, Celerity, Presence, Serpentis
              Lasombra: Dominate, Obtenebration, Potence, Sharusin
              Tzimisce: Animalism, Auspex, Presence, Vicissitude
              Asuras (a reworking of the Ravnos): Fortitude, Maaya (shapechanging), Mithya (like Chimerstry), Obfuscate

And although they're not listed in my homebrew rulebook, the Cappadocians in my game have Auspex, Fortitude, Necromancy, and Protean.

I really like the idea of disciplines becoming easier to use the more experience you have with them. (Another way to approach under the traditional dice-pools mechanic that would be to let people simply add their discipline ranks to their dice pools.)

Comment

It's mostly a "bonus" added on to the existing three. There are a few exceptions -- e.g., my Setites don't have Obfuscate anymore.

Brujah: Celerity, Necromancy, Potence, Presence
                Gangrel: Animalism, Fortitude, Protean, Sharusin
                Malkavian: Auspex, Dementation, Dominate, Obfuscate
                Nosferatu: Animalism, Obfuscate, Potence, Protean
                Toreador: Auspex, Celerity, Presence, Protean
                Tremere: Auspex, Dominate, Potence, Thaumaturgy
                Ventrue: Dominate, Fortitude, Obfuscate, Presence
                Setites: Dominate, Celerity, Presence, Serpentis
                Lasombra: Dominate, Obtenebration, Potence, Sharusin
                Tzimisce: Animalism, Auspex, Presence, Vicissitude
                Asuras (a reworking of the Ravnos): Fortitude, Maaya (shapechanging), Mithya (like Chimerstry), Obfuscate

And although they're not listed in my homebrew rulebook, the Cappadocians in my game have Auspex, Fortitude, Necromancy, and Protean.

I really like the idea of disciplines becoming easier to use the more experience you have with them. (Another way to approach under the traditional dice-pools mechanic that would be to let people simply add their discipline ranks to their dice pools.)
                What's "Sharusin"? Never heard of that one before. Home brew Discipline?

I've made it so that all the "turn myself and only myself into something" powers of Vicissitude went to Protean and all the other things you do with Vicissitude was converted into a Koldunic Path. I call it "Way of the Flesh" and it allows a Tzimisce in their domain to calmly and calculatingly sculpt their ghouls, victims, enemies, and willing subjects. Using their knowledge of Protean, the Tzimisce can bring up various merits to grant to their ghouls, Kindred allies, or to themselves. Vicissitude/Way of the Flesh cannot be used in combat. The Horrid Form is an alternate power that Tzimisce can take, so it pretty much leaves the Tzimisce exactly how they are, but makes Vicissitude less OP.

If you look at all of the powers (particularly the high level ones) of RAW Vicissitude, it has far too much overlap with Protean and in many ways ends up superior to it. Many of the elder level Protean powers are kind of underwhelming compared to Vicissitude's, not to mention Protean has a few powers that feel almost like Vicissitude powers themselves. Protean, to me, is also far too common a vampire power in mythology to be limited only to the Gangrel, so at least sharing it with the Tzimisce makes me happy.

Comment

If you look at all of the powers (particularly the high level ones) of RAW Vicissitude, it has far too much overlap with Protean and in many ways ends up superior to it. Many of the elder level Protean powers are kind of underwhelming compared to Vicissitude's, not to mention Protean has a few powers that feel almost like Vicissitude powers themselves. Protean, to me, is also far too common a vampire power in mythology to be limited only to the Gangrel, so at least sharing it with the Tzimisce makes me happy.
                  Agreed. It seems like the devs agree, too: the Tzimisce in V5 have in-clan Protean, with alternate powers for Zulo form, Chiropteran form, and so on.

Comment

Metaplot. I absolutely despise VTM's metaplot and I revise it, tweak it, change it, abuse it, and more often than not straight up remove it. And I always imply in my games (whenever its
                    it's brought up) that Caine might just be a mere myth, and Kindred origin is far more obscure and shrouded in mystery than they like to think.

Comment

Ghouls don't actually have Disciplines and can't learn them. The powers of the blood simply boost their physical stats in a way that giving them the Disciplines Potence, Fortitude, and Celerity (up to one rank) is a good mechanic to show it. Just like Lupine stats show them as having "Disciplines", ghouls are the same way. To learn Disciplines, you need to be a vampire.

Tzimisce have Protean, not Vicissitude. (Something of a relic now that I hear V5 has done something similar). There are a strange breed of Necroscope style "vampires" that Kindred know about by rumor, but they are actually fomori (Souleaters) and the werewolves tend to kill them fairly quickly.

There is no Dementation. All Malkavians have Dominate.

Giovanni have same In Clan Disciplines and Weakness as the Cappadocians. But in addition, they ALL have the Flaw: Grip of the Damned. Also, for historical reasons, it makes more sense for them to be in Genoa, not Venice. Except for the Putanesca branch, which is looked down upon by the rest of the clan, the Giovanni are not gangsters.

Tremere have a monopoly only on specific Tremere Thaumaturgy paths. But there are other Paths, long established before the Tremere ever arrived, that are out in the open, and could potentially be learned by anyone. Movement of Mind is pretty much universally known. Others not so much, but there are various "covens" in the Camarilla that know and teach these paths to other members in that group. But they are all like Skull & Bones - their membership isn't known, and they pick you, not the other way (although the vampire in question can always decline).

Comment

What's "Sharusin"? Never heard of that one before. Home brew Discipline?
                        Sorry -- wasn't trying to be cryptic. I forget sometimes that not everyone has my rulebook open on their desk.

Sharusin is a "predator" discipline focused on chasing down prey. VERY roughly, the powers are:

* The Limitless Drop: Drop from any height and land without injury (think Underworld opening scene)
                        ** Feral Tracking: Tracking by scent -- slightly better than Auspex2 and always on
                        *** Wall Walking: Spider-climbing/wall-walking
                        **** (A) The Yogi's Blessing: Extraordinary flexibility/contortions
                        **** (B) Hunter's Focus: "Mark" your prey and let your Beast guide your pursuit
                        ***** Set Free the Bonds of Earth: Levitation -- zero-G style floating and movement
                        ****** Aerial Predator: Full-on Lost Boys flight

I've made it so that all the "turn myself and only myself into something" powers of Vicissitude went to Protean and all the other things you do with Vicissitude was converted into a Koldunic Path. I call it "Way of the Flesh" and it allows a Tzimisce in their domain to calmly and calculatingly sculpt their ghouls, victims, enemies, and willing subjects. Using their knowledge of Protean, the Tzimisce can bring up various merits to grant to their ghouls, Kindred allies, or to themselves. Vicissitude/Way of the Flesh cannot be used in combat. The Horrid Form is an alternate power that Tzimisce can take, so it pretty much leaves the Tzimisce exactly how they are, but makes Vicissitude less OP.
                        This is a *fantastic* idea. I am totally fucking stealing it.

Protean, to me, is also far too common a vampire power in mythology to be limited only to the Gangrel, so at least sharing it with the Tzimisce makes me happy.
                        Exactly my thought for giving it to Nosferatu, Toreador, and Cappadocians.

Comment

Originally posted by Black Fox View Post
                          Tremere have a monopoly only on specific Tremere Thaumaturgy paths. But there are other Paths, long established before the Tremere ever arrived, that are out in the open, and could potentially be learned by anyone. Movement of Mind is pretty much universally known. Others not so much, but there are various "covens" in the Camarilla that know and teach these paths to other members in that group. But they are all like Skull & Bones - their membership isn't known, and they pick you, not the other way (although the vampire in question can always decline).
                          This is pretty spectacular -- I *love* the idea of these covens. Thank you for sharing it.

Comment

This is pretty spectacular -- I *love* the idea of these covens. Thank you for sharing it.
                            Glad you liked it. I have one major one that I use as a semi-rival to the Tremere as a major faction within the Camarilla. They know a lot of the Paths originally reported in Revised era's Guide to the Camarilla. And there are lesser ones that I mainly use as ad hoc groups to interact with PCs which are more likely to teach them one or two of the commonly known Paths, IF the PCs are willing to play ball.

I didn't like the fact that as the game developed, practically everyone outside the non-Tremere Camarilla Clans had access to thaumaturgy. This was my response to restore balance.

And mostly an attempt to make sure Lost Boys style Anarch vampires could fly about with Movement of the Mind.

Comment

Originally posted by Shawarbaaz View Post
                              Metaplot. I absolutely despise VTM's metaplot and I revise it, tweak it, change it, abuse it, and more often than not straight up remove it. And I always imply in my games (whenever its
                              it's brought up) that Caine might just be a mere myth, and Kindred origin is far more obscure and shrouded in mystery than they like to think.
                              Word.
                              I love creating my own worlds, NPCs and set pieces. The worst thing I know is when people bring up "Um, actually, the prince of Paphos in 1466 was a Malkavian Elder named Vladimir Lestrade, who was integral to the metaplot in several ways...."

I always tell my players that we play in an alternative universe where everything works the same but any number of people may be different than who they think they know.

Furthermore, I believe Carthage should be destroyed.

Comment

Working...
                              X