The one rule/element you always House Rule

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Dreamweaver View Post
    The Unbondable merit is House Ruled in my games to carry a negative side effect. You're unbondable, sure, great, no problem there, but you can't bond anyone either. Alternatively, perhaps you develop a negative emotion for the one you drink from, even if it was an agreed upon trade with a vampire that is beneficial to you or that you actually like. It could be a growing hatred or even a sense of fear and foreboding centered around the Kindred you drank from. Perhaps there's some other glitch in your own Vitae that carries a chance of botching an attempted siring or something.
    Do you have a reduced cost or anything like that to compensate?

Comment

Don't have True Faith as a stat per se, in my games, one simply uses Humanity instead - after spending willpower, that is. Makes it more effective for players and yet restricted as a resource at the same time, as one's literal reserves of will dry out, every confrontation a tense moment in a ticking clock.

Humanity is Conscience or Self-Control (pick one); Willpower is the sum of Courage + one other virtue. It changes considerably the tone of the game when neonates start with Willpower to spare (5-9 even without freebies) and at the same time can feel wightdom breathing down their necks (Humanity 1-5) if they don't watch out for themselves.

Cutting down on signature disciplines:
      - Setites & Tzimisce have Protean with some cosmetic/cultural variation (vultures & jackals or snakes instead of bats & wolves, turning into blood or sand instead of mist, etc). Taking hearts and flesh-crafting are proprietary sub-cult rituals, take a scene per roll and can't really be done in a combat/short action time frame.

- Lasombra & Ravnos have Obfuscate with their own tweaks and some cool combos mixed in. Arms of Ahriman style solid shadows, "shadowportation" and other weird stuff are rituals with a Obfuscate [Tenebrous] requisite and the province of the Angelis Atter and other Lasombra cults/secret societies.

- Assamites, Giovanni & Salubri each have a physical discipline instead, but may access through their brethen's social networks their own insular paths of blood magic.

- Tremere disciplines are Auspex, Dominate & Fortitude. Access to Thaumaturgy requires dedication, loyalty and attention from the Pyramid (clan prestige/status) or getting chummy with one of the many secret societies & sub-factions that crisscross the clan. Not every Tremere is a blood magician or even cares to be, deciding that the powers of a vampire are supernatural enough for them.

- There's no discipline called Dementation. What does exist is the merit Enlightened Madness, that - beside allowing access to the Cobweb/Whispers Within/Madness Network is a requisite to the development of a number of insanity-gauging or inducing devotions.
      Last edited by Baaldam; 08-21-2019, 08:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by The Dreamweaver View Post
        The Unbondable merit is House Ruled in my games to carry a negative side effect. You're unbondable, sure, great, no problem there, but you can't bond anyone either.
        I like that a lot. It makes a lot of sense. If there is something about your blood which will not bond to others, then it's logically consistent it works both ways.

Comment

Originally posted by Illithid View Post
          Do you have a reduced cost or anything like that to compensate?
          Depending on the side effect that we agree to go with, yes or no, but mostly yes. It's only like 4 freebie points for Unbondable if I remember right, maybe 3? For the more drastic drawback, sure, I'd cut it down to maybe a 2pt merit since it comes pre-packaged with a flaw.

Originally posted by Black Fox View Post
          I like that a lot. It makes a lot of sense. If there is something about your blood which will not bond to others, then it's logically consistent it works both ways.
          Glad you like it. I figured it was a fair trade off and it made sense from an internal logic point of view. I knew that a lot of people looked at that merit as way too beneficial for the character, but I figured that the best way to nerf it while not making it useless was to simply "return the favor" as it were. You no longer have to worry about any Blood Bonds, but now you have to concern yourself with any ghouls you make. Potentially disloyal minions that will still become addicted to your blood and have a vested interest in milking you. Doesn't sound too promising. Better charm, bribe, or mind-control the hell out of them. This, of course, ignores the quite real issues that can pop up just from when Kindred realize you're immune to the Blood Bond. If other vampires learn that they can drink your blood without getting bonded, they might come nagging you for tutelage on your Disciplines, or worse...

Comment

V5: You can purchase a trait from more than one Loresheet.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeevesosiris View Post
              I tend to tweak the Metaplot to what I want it to be - I guess the primary change is that i didn't have clan Gangrel leave the Camarilla - i had Xavier throw a bit of a wobbler and a good portion of his supporters leave with him.
              Well, i'll be honest and admit i don't even count metaplot-waiving as houseruling - setting & lore are supposed to be a storyteller fiat field, so book stances only matter when one lets them. If something is not referenced in games, it's not an event or option, that simple.

If i want to add some plotline that runs counter to the books, like, let's say...

- The Book of Nod and Caine myth are fabrication of the Cappadocians - that were not even a real clan but a splinter branch of the Salubri - as part of a propaganda/proselityzing campaign in late roman times to both christianize/unite the fractious kindred through a common myth and validate themselves as a clan. The Giovanni are not descended of them either, they just had a fierce competition for access and control of crypts, cemeteries and other places of the dead that contributed to their fall (though their religious mania contributed even more for that).

- Rome was founded not by Ventrue but a branch of Ravnos the Blue Bloods took a very concerted effort to usurp and erase from history, all their claims about Camilla and relation to the city's origins are blatant lies, as shown by the fact the Ventrue's leading ancients in the empire were a celt with an adopted name (Antonius the Gaul), a persian (Mithras) and a sumerian (Tiamat).

I just throw the monkeywrench into the PCs path and let them try to sort it out.
              Last edited by Baaldam; 07-22-2019, 08:31 PM.

Comment

Our ST allows us to make up powers depending on the level of certain disciplines (Vicissitude, Dominate, etc.), kinda like we do in Mage. If it makes sense for your level, you can do it.

Comment

Netting more than 5 successes on a simple Attribute+Ability roll rewards a single point of temporary Willpower.

Cheers!

If you don't use an Oxford comma, I feel bad for you, son,
                  'Cuz I got ninety-nine problems, but clarity ain't one.

Comment

Originally posted by nothing View Post
                    Netting more than 5 successes on a simple Attribute+Ability roll rewards a single point of temporary Willpower.

Cheers!
                    Does it count if the player spends a willpower point right before they roll?

Comment

Wow, I actually seem to House rule fairly little in comparison....

1. Metaplot is mostly out of the window, my cities have my npc’s in them but metaplot may otherwise inform the settings history in large lines, details will vary.

2. Assamites will not in any mutation of my setting be part of Camarilla, unless the Tremere are given to them as a joining present (which is unlikely to happen at my table as I like the Tremere where they are). Also if playing after the rise of Ur-Shulgi the Assamites have either returned to the fold or at best only secretly follow Islam or any other ”young” religions. Schismatics who fled were mostly killed by either loyalist Assamites, the Sabbat (because many elders betrayed them by returning to main Clan as Ur-Shulgi rose), or the Tremere (who also captured as many as they could to extract information and secrets). Also in the odd case it would matter Al-Ashrad still serves at Alamut under Ur-Shulgi.

3. I generally ignore the need for 5 successes to resist/control Frenzy/Rötchreck and you only need to succeed in your roll. This House rule is usually always at place unless I wish the game to be about the horror that is the Beast and in that case the players will be informed at chargen. My reason for removing it normally is to make things flow more smoothly so that we don’t need to spend several rolls each time either check presents itself.

4. Falling will hurt, unlike in the rules. I don’t have specific rules laid out rather than make an estimate according to height of fall and the hardness of the surface that stops the fall.

5. If you have a Attribute or Ability at 4+ you reroll 10’s at all rolls related to that Attribute or Ability. No need for specialties in Attributes at all and in Abilities they are there to inform about your focus which may aid you in certain situations, allow for rolls about obscure knowledge or use the skill in a creative way. Mostly they are there for RP and descriptive reasons.

I think thats it for general House rules that apply in most if not all of my VtM games.

Comment

V5: You can purchase traits from different loresheets and are not confined to only one loresheet.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruthven View Post
                          V5: You can purchase traits from different loresheets and are not confined to only one loresheet.
                          That's a neat idea. I feel like I've heard it before recently though....

Comment

Hahaha! I forgot I posted that before. I blame antediluvian mind control!

Comment

If I were to run V5 I'd probably do something like...

Touchstones isn't a relationship with a human but a 'relationship that is fundamentally human'. That is a touchstone can be anything your character cares about, but the way he cares about it will be in a very human fashion.
                              So if your Sire is your touchstone you won't view him or her as a 'vampire master', but rather a friend, or maybe a lover, teacher, parent, sibling or possible employer.
                              If your childe is a touchstone you might care about him as if he was your actual child. Or a student.
                              Maybe you have a dog as a touchstone and you avoid gouling him because he's not some useful attack dog, there to guard your lair or even a piece of ethical vitae, he's your dog.
                              Maybe your apartment is your touchstone because it's Home and it's where you keep all your stuff (and it represents your life).

Some other changes:
                              Clans never leave sects wholesale. If some of them decides to jump ship there will be a bunch others who go "what? No, I'm sect x"
                              Fold intimidate into subterfuge and persuasion. This way social characters can threaten people when it is narratively appropriate for them to do so, without having to match intimidate to their others skills, or having the st try to do funky stuff with difficulties.
                              Rename merits and flaws into merits and demerits to help convey to players and possible game designers that flaws aren't character flaws. They do not make your character intrinsically more interesting. As part of this remove the mandatory two dot flaws v5 requires.
                              Predator type specialties are never exactly defined. Example: Instead of "You can take Expression(Dry Remarks)"... you get: "You can take a specialty in expression"

It's completely possible for vampires to be good and decent people and remain so. It's just constantly inconvenient, highly difficult and dangerous. And yes vampires can be heroic, in their own way.

More complicated changes I might or might not do would be:
                              Diminish the 'copy and paste templates' structure of V5 character creation. Ie, instead of having to flick trough the book to find out what predator type gives you an extra dot of Fortitude you can just take the fortitude dot. And rework the skill distribution categories to do something more akin to the old system.
                              Buff specialities so they do something slightly better than just one extra dot.
                              Make some more interesting flaws than what exist in the core book.
                              Last edited by CoriolisEffect; 08-11-2019, 06:30 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X