No announcement yet.

It Has Been Revelead All 13 Clans Will Be On The Player's Guide By Modiphius

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It Has Been Revelead All 13 Clans Will Be On The Player's Guide By Modiphius

According to this guys on reddit https://www.reddit.com/r/WhiteWolfRP...ans_confirmed/

I hope they go deeper into the history and customs of each of the Clans. I thought the writeups they got in the V5 book were painfully minimal and had to much space devoted to artwork and not enough to what they care about and the types they look for in an Embrace.

Comment

Originally posted by Frontline989 View Post
      I hope they go deeper into the history and customs of each of the Clans. I thought the writeups they got in the V5 book were painfully minimal and had to much space devoted to artwork and not enough to what they care about and the types they look for in an Embrace.
      I think gone are the days for when Clans look for very specific archetypes of people to Embrace, that's a very old VTM mindset that ended up in cookie cutter stereotypes and "THAT'S NOT HOW A VENTRUE WOULD ACT" shenanigans.

Comment

It says 'an overview,' if your'e expecting mini clan books to be in the book I think you'll be sorely disappointed.

Comment

Originally posted by Shawarbaaz View Post

I think gone are the days for when Clans look for very specific archetypes of people to Embrace, that's a very old VTM mindset that ended up in cookie cutter stereotypes and "THAT'S NOT HOW A VENTRUE WOULD ACT" shenanigans.
          Perhaps. I'm not against that per se but Clan's are still important and they do have customs and ways that make them similar so its going to happen to a certain extent no matter what. Unless you divorce the game from Clans entirely.

Comment

Originally posted by elmerg View Post

It says 'an overview,' if your'e expecting mini clan books to be in the book I think you'll be sorely disappointed.
            A more traditional clan writeup would be more to my preference but I'm eager to see what they do with it. It's a players guide so I imagine it will have guidance to help players and that includes playing the different Clans.

Comment

Eh, the clans have a full page of possible concepts each. I don't think much more is needed to get a feel for who might be selected for an embrace, in addition to what Shawarbaaz already said.

Possibly more important, though: The Player's Guide contains "some excellent playing advice and alternative ways to play" - sounds like the expected system hacks to tailor the game to other play styles.

Comment

Originally posted by Shawarbaaz View Post

If there isn't a stereotype, or guidelines for why clans embrace certain people, then what's the point of having differing clans in the system?
                Just Freeform the power set selections, choose your own disciplines.

Comment

Originally posted by Illithid View Post
                  If there isn't a stereotype, or guidelines for why clans embrace certain people, then what's the point of having differing clans in the system?
                  That just sounds like a disingenuous interpretation of not wanting repeats of the mistakes of past editions.

“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

Comment

Originally posted by Illithid View Post
                    Because they're not a hive-mind, they're a collection of somewhat sort of similar people with a few things in common (mostly only supernaturally), but each would have their own reasons for embracing someone, their own way of handling things, and plenty of volks tend to break the rules when they think they can get away with it. Embracing someone you love, embracing someone as a pawn, mass-embraces (don't know if that's a thing anymore in V5), etc. Maybe a person has no style, no class, not even any money, but they have one hell of stubborn mind and willpower that would give Batman a run for his money, and they're quite good at giving rousing speeches and they're tough. Really tough. This person could make a good enforcer and even if they don't fit most of the usual Ventrue stereotypes, who cares? They can adjust, or maybe not. Isn't there that one NPC Ventrue that was basically a hacker and really didn't fit most of the other usual stereotypes of Ventrue?

Also: PCs tend to break stereotypes and rules in some way, because PCs are typically exceptional in some fashion. If they weren't, they wouldn't usually be too terribly interesting. Imagine a Gangrel that's a loner and spends most of their free time on the internet. Not every Gangrel is going to be some outdoors feral beast in the classic sense. This could be some eccentric woman that spends all her time indoors, only associating with her little clique. Mess with her home and she'll maul you. Mess with her e-space, she'll hack you.

Comment

Having Stereoypes isn't the same as everyone being the same,
                      A "collection of somewhat sort of similar people with a few things in common" is literally where the stereotype beings, around those things that they have in common. And of course PCs and NPCs can vary from the stereotype, I'd expect a number of them to, having all members of a clan being homogeneous is unrealistic and very very boring (Except Blood brothers, because they are different in their uniformity)

BUT without a stereotype, you can't break the mold. You don't have a theme for the clan's actions and even clan organisation becomes difficult if everyone is so individualistic that they all have trouble fitting in to an agreed way of working together.

Look for a moment at the Setites (Not Ministry) They all worship Set. You have to, it can be a priest, a sorcerer or warrior for the cause. You can seduce people in to breaking social mores as a supplier of some kind of sin, there are plenty of options, but they all fit in the stereotype of Egyption-God-Worshippers.

There's lots of options, but they're tied together. by the stereotype.

Not all sterotypes are bad; the old Ravnos = Gypsy was a bad one (and doesn't make sense the longer you think about it for a clan older than the silk road)
                      A Clan of "Leaders" for the Ventrue makes sense, because it works on their disciplines well and a decent but broad role, Warlord to CEO, Influence brokers who make things happen with others in the spotlight all work, and plenty others do too.

Hell, most stereotypes in real life start as observations that apply to a large proportion of a group, which itself isn't problematic, only when it's politicized by focusing on negative aspects, or manipulating the sterotypes to be false in order to oppress or disenfranchise a group that it really becomes problematic.

On Gangrel - I've always seen them as "Survivors" instead of outdoors, so hackers and street kids that live off their own wits work, but I wouldn't see a hacker that is a super-rcih, backed by corps type of hacker in the clan.

My point is that there has to be something to link them or it's not really a "Clan" is it? Individuals can still break them, bend them or not fit in.
                      ​And TyrannicalRabbit - of course a lot of the previous stuff can be improved, get rid of the problematic issues and terms used in the past, 25 years ago the world was a different place.

Comment

https://gph.is/1IQE0xl

This is my answer.

- Saga

Comment

Diversity among embraced of each clan is an interesting mindset, yet there always is an objective towards that. No Nosferatu would embrace a gorgeous anthropomorphic form to keep it in eternity, other than to instruct it in an eternal life in despair or hatred. The curse of Caine among the 13 clans tend to draw stereotypes, yet individually they gather interesting characters.

- Saga

Comment

Originally posted by Saga View Post
                            Diversity among embraced of each clan is an interesting mindset, yet there always is an objective towards that. No Nosferatu would embrace a gorgeous anthropomorphic form to keep it in eternity, other than to instruct it in an eternal life in despair or hatred. The curse of Caine among the 13 clans tend to draw stereotypes, yet individually they gather interesting characters.

- Saga
                            I think the Nosferatu are pretty solitary in that regard. Their clan weakness is among the few absolute ones, with others being far more relative. Particularly now that some of the more monolithic clans are being broken up and Anarchs in particular are often clan members by blood only rather than by culture, I think there are many clans with obvious tendencies, but few clans where you could say "X would never embrace for reason Y".

Comment

My view is that Clans are a culture.

Nothing prevents a homeless Anarchist from being Embraced by a Ventrue but he's probably not going to be very welcome at the local parties.

Most will consider him Caitiff.

Author of Cthulhu Armageddon, I was a Teenage Weredeer, Straight Outta Fangton, Lucifer's Star, and the Supervillainy Saga.

Comment

Working...
                              X