No announcement yet.

[WIR] Beckett's Jyhad Diary - The Big book of Metaplot

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has the Antediluvian's name been changed from Cappadocius to Cappadochias?

Comment

• Originally posted by CTPhipps View Post
      Chapter 20: Giovanni Chronicles V notes

* Cappadocius Specter ate Augustus' soul and is back in the body of an Antediluvian.
      Oh

Oh my

That is just perfect

Comment

* Cappadocius Specter ate Augustus' soul and is back in the body of an Antediluvian.
        This is exactly what I am doing in my game. This is also the reason for the Final Night ritual; since Cappy's now a full-fledged specter who is roaming around in Uncle Augie's body, his goal is to achieve what all specters want...to achieve Oblivion.

Not just for him, but for all things.

Comment

• I am running late on several things, and will get back to this on Monday. I have Monday off. In any case, allow me to express my deep disappointment that there are no Bollywood musicals about vampires.

Also, the scenes in the Black Monastery felt like the first act of an Italian horror film from the 1970s. Actually, Black Monastery sounds like the title of an Italian horror film from the 1970s.

Comment

• Okulos’ habit of chiming in in the margins to remind Beckett of the time he abandoned Okulos in Kaymakli never stops being funny to me. The Gehenna paperback novel that came out when that edition of the game was winding down cast Okulos as a vengeance-driven serial killer, using Kaymakli as his motivation. He’s less a character and more a device to remove several trademarked clan mascot characters from the field in order to establish that the stakes are high. Here, his motivation is the same, but he’s just the sarcastic heckler in the peanut gallery, and somehow it seems to work better. I think there’s a kind of sweetness to it, and the same is true of the scene at the dig site in a later chapter. Whether these characters love each other or not, they’re peers. They understand each other. The roles that they’ve played in each others lives for centuries really does make them irreplaceable to one another. I imagine them all forgiving each other, even if they pretend not to for leverage’s sake.
            Last edited by Reasor; 08-09-2019, 03:50 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Grumpy RPG Reviews View Post
              I am running late on several things, and will get back to this on Monday. I have Monday off. In any case, allow me to express my deep disappointment that there are no Bollywood musicals about vampires.

Also, the scenes in the Black Monastery felt like the first act of an Italian horror film from the 1970s. Actually, Black Monastery sounds like the title of an Italian horror film from the 1970s.
              Funny you should say that. This is one of the chapters I wrote and I'm a big fan of giallo movies.

Matthew Dawkins
              In-House Developer for Onyx Path Publishing

Patreon: http://https://www.patreon.com/matthewdawkins

Comment

• Originally posted by Stannis View Post
                Has the Antediluvian's name been changed from Cappadocius to Cappadochias?
                *hisses like vampire at grammatical corrections*

Author of Cthulhu Armageddon, I was a Teenage Weredeer, Straight Outta Fangton, Lucifer's Star, and the Supervillainy Saga.

Comment

• Digging out VtM:R to play again has gotten me delving into the WW stuff again, so seeing Christof discussed brings joy to me. I always had a soft spot for him from that game. Apologies for a several-days late reply to this update.

Originally posted by CTPhipps View Post
                  Chapter Eighteen: Carthago Delenda EstThere's also the Christof Romuald from the Encyclopedia Vampirica that mentions Christof's inaccurate Final Death at the end of the first half of the game. It's interesting to speculate on how much of Redemption is canon versus the work of Transylvania By Night as well as some of the more outlandish elements of the story.
                  The Clanbook Brujah writeup had its own mysteries to add, too (see below)

Christof also is revealed to have a replica of the Sword of Dracula which is presumably the same one he used to kill the Vukoladak. Beckett makes a referenec to Dracula's spear that I assume is deliberate induendo but whether to sex or impalement is anyone's guess. I initially thought the Prince of Chester was going to be Tal'Mah'Ra but he turns out to be a member of the Order of Edenic Groundskeepers, which shows that Matthew Dawkins and the other authors are as much in love with the Elysium supplement as I am. This is where the Tick Tock Man shows up and blows up the apartment as well as kills Marcus Verus.
                  What interested me was how Christof suggested the sword he was wielding (Ainkurn, I guess?) was 'a mere shadow' of Dracula's blade because it was crafted by his enemies (who aren't named) to kill him. That kinda implies Durga Syn wasn't involved unless she's playing a more complex game than we think (which is always possible.) The implication of less power is also different from the claims of other sources which suggest it would be as powerful or moreso (but those are suitably mythical/anecdotal that it could be dismissed, too.)

One interesting detail I remember from Redemption was that when you fought Vukodlak at the end using Ainkurn.. I remember testing that out to see if you could get the Diablerie ending (you could). But plot-wise it was Christof leaping on him and doing it physically rather than the blade doing it (whereas Dracula's sword has its own built in 'diablerie-like' function to take on Kupala as well as the blood-draining/storage one.) If Ainkurn does lack the 'diablerie' mode and only has the blood draining, then you could argue it is less powerful.

As an aside, I also find it interesting they described it as a 'two handed Kilij' which is an actual weapon albeit one handed. But the picture you posted in your entry isn't a curved, saber/scimitar like weapon but a straight bladed weapon. Meanwhile the Lets play of Redemption at the point I marked has the discovery of Ainkurn and you can see it. It looks more like some sort of black-bladed katana or saber.
                  Another fun side fact: it seems RL Vlad Tepes was rather fond of the Kilij which may explain the narrative choice in the book. An Easter Egg, of sorts?

This book gives us a "current location" for Christof in the WOD after the events of Redemption after the Clan Novels had him working as a Archon for the Camarilla. Which, honestly, is probably the best place for him but this has him leave to join Ecaterina. I like this because Christof is a man of great loyalty. Anezka isn't with Christoph and I'm interested in wondering if this is because he chose not to Embrace her in this universe or if he did -- then found out that after 800 years, she's actually a monstrously evil Elder. I'd really like to have more information on the events of V:TR actually even if it was a very silly game at times.
                  If I may ask, what page number was that? It's interesting as apart from what you already mentioned, the Revised Brujah Clanbook mentions multiple possibilities including: He's a Kuei-Jin, he's still playing the Promethan, or he may have reached Golconda. And he dislikes the Sabbat, sorta interested in Camarilla, and may not (or may!) belong to the Inconnu. They do allude to Anezka though.

Thoughts
                  Overall, a really solid chapter. As silly as Christof's history can be, I really like the character and I think both he and Ecaterina the Wise are good additions to any campaign the players might choose to interact with. I also like what they did with the mythology of Carthage in the World of Darkness. I have issues with the True Brujah and the Tick Tok Man feels like someone inserted a DC comics villain in the middle of the storyline but I'll get to that in my notes.
                  Yeah I agree. Even if I mostly focused on Christof (fanboy ahoy) it was interesting. To be fair the True Brujah in general always were a bit off. I mean the premise is interesting, but it just feels too much like... Vampire Time Lords, and Tick Tok feels a bit like that even if I found his banter amusing.

Notes
                  2. Ecaterina is someone I DON'T think is actually from Carthage unless this book retcons it. Dominic, her sire, was from Carthage but Ecaterina is no more of Carthage than Cristof. They were both Prometheans but I think it's very likely Ecaterina is just lying her ass off here to seem more powerful than she is. [Note: It's flat out confirmed to be untrue in the "Adventure Hook" section so this note is meaningless.]
                  Yeah, this threw me off to start as well but it was well established that she's a liar. In addition to the Adventure Hook, Magnus' email to Beckett intimates the same thing ('Trust but Verify' and his first comment (a liar, thief, diablerist - if no different from most other kindred as you noted previously.) Beckett also talked about how he'd been 'taken in' by her story. I guess that's alluding to how in modern nights she's become more cynical and survival-oriented.. sort of a contrast to Christof?

5. I'm inclined to think that Vampire: The Masquerade: Redemption is canonical to the World of Darkness but I wouldn't be adverse to some of its crazier elements being toned down for canon. There's a TV trope called "Broad Strokes" and I'm fond of it in things like Star Wars and comic books. https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.p...n/BroadStrokes

6. For example, if they ever summarized the events of V:TM:R then I would probably make it so that the Vukodlak was lying about being a survivor of the Second City and was actually the childer of Shagara the Elder who was based in "his" territory. He's still a torporous Methuselah and immensely powerful but it makes Christof beating him slightly more believable. Also, the Cathedral of Flesh is actually just the Tzimisce Antediluvian (who felt disinclined to save his 6th generation great childer). Obviously, the Vukodlak's cult believes he can diablerize the antediluvians but this just means they're stupid rather than he could actually do it (nor does it invalidate that Christof destroying the Elder once he rises as a bad thing).

In my notes, I made it so that Vukodlak was actually only a couple of centuries old in the Dark Ages and might have broken his spell much earlier if he hadn't been spirited away from the rampaging diablerists of the Anarch Revolt.
                  So, less complicated than Saulot's motives and alignment?

7. I really am serious I'd like to know the fate of Anezka even though I'm certain that Christof and her unliving happily ever after is impossible. Christof Embracing her in the "Good" ending never quite stuck well with me as it's condemning her to damnation.
                  My rationale was that perhaps that Ecaterina had contacted Christof to enlist his aid on her visit to Carthage, and Anezka was left behind. She's not Brujah after all. I will admit my impression from that chapter was that Christof and Ecaterina reunited, so that explanation takes some liberties.

8. The Ainkurn Sword is the "sister sword" of the Sword of Dracula and presumably was forged by Durga Syn the same way that its brother was. Its probably why Christof, even if he is an immensely powerful Neonate like the Fledgling, was able to hurt both Marcus Vitel as well as the Vukoladak. Here, it's stated to be a copy of the Dracula sword and I wonder if it's actually containing a fragment of the Dracula sword. I'm not sure that makes sense timeline wise, though. Either that or Christoph is just lying to throw Beckett off from an immensely valuable artifact.
                  Verus or Vitel? I thought it was the former, although I may be confused. I remember Christof saying he defeated Verus because the latter had been badly injured by pursuers and his generation and experience more than matched Christof + Ainkurn. Which is in keeping with the 'shadow of Dracula's Blade' comment I mentioned previously. I'm I'm referring to something completely unrelated to what you are I apologize for the confusion.

Another interesting/possibly related detail. I have the Bradygames Strategy guide for Redemption, and towards the end of the guide they actually discuss how Christof could have beaten Vukodlak. Two possibilities they gave were 'inspired by his love for Anezka and human spirit' vs the 'static and corrupt' Vukoedlak. The second was that Christof was an 'agent of destiny' and fated to bring him down (plot on his side, I guess?)

A third possibility they hinted at was that Christof may have been helped by something older, and more powerful hiding beneath New York and Christof was manipulated... which felt like it was a cliffhanger for a future expansion/sequel. Wasn't the Tzimisce Antediluvian under New York?

Maybe that's a tie in to 'Christof having Golconda' or something? Or maybe he discovered his faith at that time. Your guess is as good as mine. *shrugs*

Originally posted by Grumpy RPG Reviews View Post
                  I wonder if Dracula knows there is a twin to his sword out in the world. That might make his plans simpler, but make the existence of Christof much more complicated.
                  Another detail from the Strategy guide: The Ainkurn sword from Redemption was described in legend as 'bathed in the blood of an antediluvian as it wsa forged.' and some claim it 'retains the spirit and thirsts of its smith.' Given what I already mentioned about Christof in the same guide being a possible pawn of a greater power to take down Vukodlak... anyone want to speculate on whose blood it might be? Or who the forger might be?

If you consider that Dracula is another Tzimisce methuselah as well... you could see a scenario of Christof being used as a pawn again, perhaps. And you could imagine how Christof might 'conveniently' find such a powerful weapon in his quest as well. Heck, rumors of such a weapon might actually be used to lure Dracula into such a confrontation as well...

If we wanted to speculate further and that Ainkurn might have an awarness and latent power, Christof's belief that his weapon is a 'shadow' of Dracula's may reflect that the Methuselah-killing strength lays dormant much of the time until someone/thing else unlocks it...

This pretty much just leaves the Anarchs as a potential home for Ecaterina and Christof after the events of the chapter. Certainly, her bridges with both the Sabbat as well as the Camarilla have been well and truly burned. However, that may be the best place for her as they are in bad need of philosophy and guidance that (otherwise) the Ministry will provide. Ecaterina may not want to educate a bunch of dumb rabble after the Sabbat but they're not nearly as lost to the Beast as their fellows (or she is for that matter).
                  I could see Ecaterina doing that for survival if she's on the run from the Camarilla and Sabbat. Christof would join because they're the closest to Prometheans that still exist. And I could totally see Christof becoming a hero of the Anarchs as well. Ecaterina might just leverage that status of her childe to her own advantage.

However, the issue may be moot as the description of Ecaterina the Wise hearing the Call of Carthage may actually be the Beckoning (or at least a version of it). I would be interested in knowing whether the chapter was written before the Beckoning concept was told to them or after.
                  If I went with my surmise that Christof was accompanying Ecaterina on a specific mission, she might have brought him and Ainkurn along as insurance against whatever was sending out the Beckoning. That would be the exact kind of thing she'd do, methinks.

Dracula being Dracula, I can easily see that finding a fully-intact version of his sword and capable of being used to kill Kupala, he'd decide to use it to find the other sword fragments because he's going to do it HIS way.
                  But it would be interesting to see Christoff try and take down another methuselah... :/

It may actually be impossible to destroy the Antediluvians. Ravnos is dead but....will he stay that way?
                  True. how many antediluvians have died only to find out later they're not really dead even if they're not vampires (Lasombra, Cappadocius, etc.) most sources I recall a decade or more in the past seemed pretty insistent on Ravnos being dead but.. you could totally see a situation where the body might die but the spirit surives. I mean, given that the Ravnos got reimagined with ties to India, reincarnation becomes an option. And there's even a power for that (Protean 9: Draught of the Phoenix Blood) nevermind level 10 'plot device'.

Comment

• Mister_Dunpeal

Some of the references I made were to the fact Christof is actually in the Vampire: The Masquerade Clan Novels. He is part of Theo Bell's posse and an Archon who helps "kill" Marcus Vitel (actually puts him torpor for a few years to a decade). Anezka doesn't appear there either. Though she would be a Brujah as Christof is the one who Embraced her--if at all.

He is wielding the Ainkurn Sword during his time in those novels as well. It is described as the only reason why Vitel was even partially defeated as Theo Bell's ambush of Vitel turns into a complete massacre of the Methuselah's attackers until Christof joins in.
                    Last edited by CTPhipps; 08-10-2019, 04:01 PM.

Author of Cthulhu Armageddon, I was a Teenage Weredeer, Straight Outta Fangton, Lucifer's Star, and the Supervillainy Saga.

Comment

• I read about that in the wiki but I never read the novels back then. The wiki implied that the novels were contiguous with the New York/Modenr Nights section of Redemption.

Edit: Also you're right about being a Brujah if Christof embraced her. Interesting given the Revised Clanbook mentioning (presumably Anezka described her as Tzimisce.
                      Last edited by Mister_Dunpeal; 08-10-2019, 04:02 PM.

Comment

• The Ravnos Antedeluvian probably had more than a few dots in his clan’s illusion generating discipline, if a Storyteller wants him to have faked his death. It arguably makes much more sense than having the monster just stand there in the sun and let itself cook.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mister_Dunpeal View Post
                          Digging out VtM:R to play again has gotten me delving into the WW stuff again, so seeing Christof discussed brings joy to me. I always had a soft spot for him from that game. Apologies for a several-days late reply to this update.
                          Not at all. I appreciate all commentary and thoughts. You did a great job here.

What interested me was how Christof suggested the sword he was wielding (Ainkurn, I guess?) was 'a mere shadow' of Dracula's blade because it was crafted by his enemies (who aren't named) to kill him. That kinda implies Durga Syn wasn't involved unless she's playing a more complex game than we think (which is always possible.) The implication of less power is also different from the claims of other sources which suggest it would be as powerful or moreso (but those are suitably mythical/anecdotal that it could be dismissed, too.)
                          I do think Christof may be lying about the Ainkurn Blade here because, of course, Christof is about 400 years older than Dracula. It's also mentioned in the Encyclopedia Vampirca as well as Transylvania Chronicles III in addition to the game. The Dracula sword was actually owned by Dracula's father prior to him and was a family relic passed down among the Basarab family before eventually landing in Kindred hands where it could be properly utilized (as it's magic could only be properly wielded by a vampire). We are in D&D territory, though, where we're talking about magical blades.

One interesting detail I remember from Redemption was that when you fought Vukodlak at the end using Ainkurn.. I remember testing that out to see if you could get the Diablerie ending (you could). But plot-wise it was Christof leaping on him and doing it physically rather than the blade doing it (whereas Dracula's sword has its own built in 'diablerie-like' function to take on Kupala as well as the blood-draining/storage one.) If Ainkurn does lack the 'diablerie' mode and only has the blood draining, then you could argue it is less powerful.
                          Also possible. It's also possible and this is just a possibility that the sword Christof is using isn't the Ainkurn Blade in this chapter but a replica after he lost the original or isn't carrying it around for whatever reason. This one could be, for example, a replica made by Aisling Sturbridge and just a sword with some Wards against Vampires on it.

As an aside, I also find it interesting they described it as a 'two handed Kilij' which is an actual weapon albeit one handed. But the picture you posted in your entry isn't a curved, saber/scimitar like weapon but a straight bladed weapon. Meanwhile the Lets play of Redemption at the point I marked has the discovery of Ainkurn and you can see it. It looks more like some sort of black-bladed katana or saber.
                          Another fun side fact: it seems RL Vlad Tepes was rather fond of the Kilij which may explain the narrative choice in the book. An Easter Egg, of sorts?
                          Nice catches!

If I may ask, what page number was that? It's interesting as apart from what you already mentioned, the Revised Brujah Clanbook mentions multiple possibilities including: He's a Kuei-Jin, he's still playing the Promethan, or he may have reached Golconda. And he dislikes the Sabbat, sorta interested in Camarilla, and may not (or may!) belong to the Inconnu. They do allude to Anezka though.
                          Notably, the events of the Clan Novels were portrayed as happening after the events of Vampire: The Masquerade: Redemption and are incorrectly labeled in the wiki. Among other humorous moments, Christof REALLY hates flying.

Yeah I agree. Even if I mostly focused on Christof (fanboy ahoy) it was interesting. To be fair the True Brujah in general always were a bit off. I mean the premise is interesting, but it just feels too much like... Vampire Time Lords, and Tick Tok feels a bit like that even if I found his banter amusing.
                          My issues with the True Brujah basically amount to, "the remnants of a diablerized clan seeking revenge on the new clan created" has already been done and they're just a reversal of the existing Brujah (dispassionate instead of passionate) with a nifty discipline.

Yeah, this threw me off to start as well but it was well established that she's a liar. In addition to the Adventure Hook, Magnus' email to Beckett intimates the same thing ('Trust but Verify' and his first comment (a liar, thief, diablerist - if no different from most other kindred as you noted previously.) Beckett also talked about how he'd been 'taken in' by her story. I guess that's alluding to how in modern nights she's become more cynical and survival-oriented.. sort of a contrast to Christof?
                          Christof is honest to a fault but I wouldn't be surprised if Kindred society has started to wear down on him. He's lost his True Faith from his immortal days and tried to serve the Prometheans like he did the Church but both of them proved less than stellar causes. On the other hand, Christof has no end of genuinely supernaturally evil Kindred to serve and arguably the modern Camarilla and Anarchs are not that much worse than Medieval feudalism--so progress.

So, less complicated than Saulot's motives and alignment?
                          I think it's more, "It's a pretty big accomplishment killing a Methusekah Tzimisce. We don't need him to be living up to all of his hype."

My rationale was that perhaps that Ecaterina had contacted Christof to enlist his aid on her visit to Carthage, and Anezka was left behind. She's not Brujah after all. I will admit my impression from that chapter was that Christof and Ecaterina reunited, so that explanation takes some liberties.
                          If Matthew Dawkins ever did a write-up of Anezka, I imagine she'd be a Low Humanity Brujah Blood Sorcerer Embracing someone you love never works out. Death in the service of a higher cause was her only salvation and Christof took that from her.

Verus or Vitel? I thought it was the former, although I may be confused. I remember Christof saying he defeated Verus because the latter had been badly injured by pursuers and his generation and experience more than matched Christof + Ainkurn. Which is in keeping with the 'shadow of Dracula's Blade' comment I mentioned previously. I'm I'm referring to something completely unrelated to what you are I apologize for the confusion.
                          I meant Vitel in their Clan Novel fight here. The confusion is understandable.

Another interesting/possibly related detail. I have the Bradygames Strategy guide for Redemption, and towards the end of the guide they actually discuss how Christof could have beaten Vukodlak. Two possibilities they gave were 'inspired by his love for Anezka and human spirit' vs the 'static and corrupt' Vukoedlak. The second was that Christof was an 'agent of destiny' and fated to bring him down (plot on his side, I guess?)
                          There's also the somewhat less grandiose answer that Vukodlak just woke from torpor minutes ago and might not have had a chance to feed much (if at all).

4:15

A third possibility they hinted at was that Christof may have been helped by something older, and more powerful hiding beneath New York and Christof was manipulated... which felt like it was a cliffhanger for a future expansion/sequel. Wasn't the Tzimisce Antediluvian under New York?

Maybe that's a tie in to 'Christof having Golconda' or something? Or maybe he discovered his faith at that time. Your guess is as good as mine. *shrugs*
                          All possibilities, though V5 makes it the case that a straight up fight between Methuselahs and Neonates isn't impossible anymore.
                          I could see Ecaterina doing that for survival if she's on the run from the Camarilla and Sabbat. Christof would join because they're the closest to Prometheans that still exist. And I could totally see Christof becoming a hero of the Anarchs as well. Ecaterina might just leverage that status of her childe to her own advantage.

If I went with my surmise that Christof was accompanying Ecaterina on a specific mission, she might have brought him and Ainkurn along as insurance against whatever was sending out the Beckoning. That would be the exact kind of thing she'd do, methinks.
                          The question is whether she's Beckoned to Troile's side as a soldier or as food.

But it would be interesting to see Christoff try and take down another methuselah... :/
                          He did until Marcus Vitel was retconned as alive

Comment

I love the Giovanni as probably the most gritty, dark, and disturbing clan of Vampire: The Masquerade. Justin Achilli knocked it out of the park when he created them and if there's any group that embodies "personal horror" it's probably the Giovanni.
                            Did Justin actually create the Giovanni clan, or just write the original clanbook?

The only thing I have always been iffy on is the Endless Night, which I always felt was tacked on and not really something that added much to the Clan as a whole. It's a supervillain plot. There's a place for that in Vampire: The Masquerade but it is something that kind of jars with the rest of the Clan as well as the Masquerade as a whole since it turns the Giovanni into Baali-lite, which is a problem the Followers of Set also suffered without the apocalypse plot. At best, you get something like CoC's Masks of Nyarlathotep (hardly a bad thing) and at worst you have Mr. Burns trying to cover Springfield in his enormous metal dome to blot out the sun.
                            This is one reason I dislike the format of the clanbooks. Because almost everything is presented in character, it often portrays many secrets as something that are openly known by many. I always thought the clanbooks should be presented partly in-character, and then have other elements presented out of character.

In my own chronicles, I made a lot of subtle changes to the Giovanni while keeping the general depiction intact.

One of the changes is that the clan as a whole doesn't know anything about the Endless Night. That goal is limited to Augustus and a handful of extremely trusted Giovanni who are very high on the Path of Bones. It's not something the regular rank and file of the clan know or even suspect. Of course, there have been a few who have sussed things out and been horrified, but they've been eliminated (perhaps one or two have managed to escape and go into hiding). It's entirely possible that Augustus and said ground are actually Oblivion cultists being aided or manipulated by Spectres.

I think one of the hidden agendas on the Path of Bones is that it's like a cult - things are revealed to practitioners only after they increase in level. The Path is actually designed to indoctrinate people so that they come to promote something like the Endless Night. And Augustus and the other high level Path of Bones people use it to determine which Giovanni they choose to reveal it to. It is a risk because it is always possible they judged wrongly and will let out the secret.

Comment

• There’s even room for a middle ground where the Giovanni elders try to maintain operational security, but some of the wraiths have been ratting them out to the neonates, if one wants a Giovanni chronicle with some extra intrigue.

Comment

• Black Fox and Reasor I think those are actually cannon, or at least very close to it.

Comment

Working...
                                X