[WIR] Beckett's Jyhad Diary - The Big book of Metaplot

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CTPhipps View Post
    In some of my games, Saulot was actually Malkav AFTER he achieved Golconda. That the Malkavians and Salubri were the same Clan at different points in their history.
    An interesting idea. It certainly explains why the Malkavian clan official headpiece is a bandana around the forehead.

Comment

Originally posted by Anarade Relle View Post

An interesting idea. It certainly explains why the Malkavian clan official headpiece is a bandana around the forehead.
      They nicely fit together as the two "religious" vampires as well.

Author of Cthulhu Armageddon, I was a Teenage Weredeer, Straight Outta Fangton, Lucifer's Star, and the Supervillainy Saga.

Forum Terms of Use
      the Contact Us link.

Comment

They nicely fit together as the two "religious" vampires as well.
        It really does!

Comment

Chapter Six: Schism

Beckett journeys to the country of Jordan, which is a nice little sign of just how globe-trotting our (anti)hero is. He is planning to meet with Fatima and plans for everything to go smooth. Of course, it doesn't and he ends up getting attacked at the Four Seasons by a small army of Assamite thugs (hereby known as Banu Haqim). This allows Beckett to meet with Tegyrius of the Vizier caste.

From there, Tegyrius shows remarkable patience with Beckett despite being 2300 years old and having to deal with Beckett's skepticism. However, the book does something really entertaining for a longtime fan of the Banu Haqim. Basically, they interrogate one of the soldiers and he recites a number of interesting facts:

1. Thetmes, sire of Fatima, is the head of the Web of Knives. I've always been fond of him since Clan Novel: Assamite.
          2. The original Clan Book: Assamite legend of Haqim Embracing himself is purely a Web of Knives creation.
          3. Ur-Shulgi isn't awake yet but is awakening.
          4. The Assamite warrior caste isn't limited to the Web of Knives but the Web of Knives have been in charge of dealings with the rest of the Kindred world for almost 1000 years.

What this means in practical terms is that the Assamite Schism is not something that has happened yet but starts happening alittle later timeline wise (due to Gehenna not happening). It also firmly establishes the "classical" Banu Haqim assassins as just a very nasty cult of Sabbat-esque killers (or the Sabbat is a bunch of Assamite-esque killers) at the heart of the Clan.

I approve of these retcons as while the Assamites have always been useful for an adventure hook or two ("Oh no, the Assamites have been hired to kill you!" or "The Assamites are going to kill your friend!"), the idea of the most prominent Muslim and Arabic clan being a bunch of O.G. assassins is not really a good look.

It didn't help they were introduced before the War on Terror and, to a sillier less serious degree, the Assassins Creed franchise. The latter meant their entire thing was now associated with a video game that strangely resembles Mage: The Ascension's mythology. The Banu Haqim are a much more interesting and diverse bunch than the Assamites -- which I didn't hate to begin with. I also approve of the Ashirra becoming a full sect around the Assamites.
          Tegyrius takes Beckett and Fatima to the Camarilla where they have a meeting. Beckett and Jan "Fucking" Pieterzoon (a nickname even Beckett has adopted) is there when Tegyrius talks about Ur-Shulgi's imminent rise. They also take a shot at Francois Villon as Jan says he'll hit on everyone since he's both a Toreador as well as Lombard. The Tremere get put in their place as Tegyrius explains that he knows exactly what they did to enact the Blood Curse. The Camarilla is dismissive of the rumors (more like prophecies) of Ur-Shulgi because that's their whole deal and why they're burning copies of the Book of Nod. Then Tegyrius throws them all for a loop by claiming sanctuary with the Camarilla.

The ending of the chapter is a surprising continuation of Silverson with his second screenplay of Ur-Shulgi awakening, eating the Elder of the Assamites, and then breaking the Tremere weakness before causing a bunch of diablerie attempts. This is notably a vision of what I believe to be the future rather than the present (since Silverson is attacked in his screenplay and in a gratuitous Monty Python joke--"maybe he was dictating" doesn't cut it).

Adventure Hooks and Ideas

This chapter mostly redoes the Schism from Assamites Revised in a more coherent timeline of what is going on and how everyone is reacting. We never really got to find out how the rest of the Camarilla reacted to the Banu Haqim joining the sect because the world ended by the time they did. V5 letting the Banu Haqim actually be a part of the sect is one of the best things about the Camarilla book, IMHO (that and information about both the Gehenna War as well as Second Inquisition).

I feel like this actually serves as a pretty good example of how events would proceed for the Lasombra as various Camarilla domains will react with suspicion while others will have open arms. Some Banu Haqim will pretend to be Caitiff or pass themselves off as other clans like Toreador or Brujah.

One thing I really like about this chapter is that it shows the Sabbat's Assamite Antitribu were playing the long game with the sect. One of the biggest disappointments in-game for me was the discovery the Sabbat Path of Caine was only a warmed-over knock off of the Path of Blood created to give the non-Assamites something to believe in since non-Haqimites aren't allowed on the PoB. As a die-hard Noddist, this was a real kick in the gut. On the other hand, for every Banu Haqim who left for Sabbat, another replaces them.

Something that doesn't sit right with me is the statement the Banu Haqim curse is the result of the Baali and the "original" curse was merely unnaturally darkened skin.

Yeah.

What do I think?

I think this is an excellent example of how a lot of what was "broken" about earlier edition depictions of the Independent clans can be revised and revised until it becomes something really special. There's a lot of retcons in the Banu Haqim's history as well as depictions but the final results are really impressive.
          The Web of Knives being the "Old" Assamites is something that allows Storytellers to use them the way they were always done without reducing the entire clan to being a religious terrorist organization.

I have an issue with Ur-Shulgi and have him killed in every campaign I do (usually by the Second Inquisition bombing Alamut w/ missiles for maximum irony). A 12,000 year old vampire is fine when it's a figure behind the scenes but something that I have problems when he's awake as well as screwing with things using his Thaumaturgy.

I feel like, realistically, if you have beings who can squash all opposition like a bug then they probably will. I think hes a much more interesting character being used like he is in this chapter with Thetmes being his hand while all orders are done with dreams.
          Last edited by CTPhipps; 07-15-2019, 08:48 PM.

Author of Cthulhu Armageddon, I was a Teenage Weredeer, Straight Outta Fangton, Lucifer's Star, and the Supervillainy Saga.

Forum Terms of Use
          the Contact Us link.

Comment

Chapter Six: Schism Notes

1. Tegyrius is an interesting character in V5 as he's a 2300 year old super vampire like Marcus Vitel that you think would be Beckoned but is apparently married to Victoria Ash. I gotta say that I hope Vicki understands his easygoing manner is not something to be mistaken for weakness. Mind you, I get the impression from his portrayal here that most vampires are so used to elders being assholes that they don't actually believe his Ancient status.

2. Tegyrius being married to Victoria Ash also shows that the Beckoning has always been inconsistent as he's older than dirt and not being summoned to the Middle East. Ironically, despite being from there. So the outrage over ALL the Elders disappearing was always somewhat overblown.

3. I wonder how much the Path of Blood represents the Web of Knives or whether that's just a faction of PoB followers. Retconning the Path of Blood to being the "ax crazy psycho" faction fits with my own personal preference that a lot of the Sabbat's nuttery came from the Banu Haqim -- and the Paths are all malformed Beast-ridden bastardized versions of Roads anyway.

4. It's interesting that the Camarilla actually "needs" the Banu Haqim to join because they (theoretically) represent all Kindred who aren't in open rebellion against them anyway. However, this bit of hypocrisy makes perfect sense with the shift from the Camarilla to the Ivory Tower of V5. Not only have they "lost" The Gangrel but they've expelled the Brujah (I fully believe Theo Bell killing Hardestadt was just the last straw) and actively murdered the Followers of Set delegation at the Banu Haqim's behest. I kind of like the whole egalitarian element of the Camarilla was always bullshit.

5. The choice of moving down the Assamite Schism was a good decision in my humble opinion as it fits a bit better with the expelling of the Brujah as well as rejection of the Setites. Things move at a glacial pace in the Camarilla, except when suddenly having a bunch of warriors as well as wizards seems like a VERY good idea. Things like the Second Inquisition, Gehenna War, and other business that throws objections to the wind.

6. I really enjoyed the story of Fatima learning to reconcile her Muslim faith with the hungry demonic blood god that she assumes Allah is okay with. I've always liked her, her relationships, and her characterization. If you want to know some more about her, I recommend Clan Novel: Assamite as it's one of my favorite books in the series.

7. Ur-Shulgi awakening during the Gehenna War is an interesting thing as now he's right in the middle of the Sabbat Crusade. While it's my preference that he's killed (or driven back into torpor) by modern weapons, I think you could also have him killed by the Sabbat launching an attack on Alamut as well. I don't know if they could pull it off or not but I do think it'd be an interesting story to tell.
            Last edited by CTPhipps; 04-19-2020, 12:39 PM.

Forum Terms of Use
            the Contact Us link.

Comment

I imagine that with Methuselahs, there's only two ways they go: 1) the lose patience with everything and go full tilt on the "my way or the highway" Grandiosity, or 2) they learn to be VERY patient, because everyone is like a child to them. That Tegyrius is not an asshole is testament to him being the latter. Serving as one of the leaders of a close-knit Clan of vampires for thousands of years - AFTER being a Mage (and presumably one of great enlightenment) - gave him a better perspective on things. Especially in contrast to many other Methuselahs, who retire from outside contact and plot the downfall of everyone else.

Concerning the Schism as a whole, I really enjoyed this chapter. Making the Web of Knives its own particular cultural and political group goes a long way towards not only reconciling older material with later revisions (while still being coherent), it also adds great potential for conflict. The Banu Haqim represents more moderate Assamites, ever in conflict with the religious extremists of the Web of Knives. A conflict which will inevitably spill over into the rest of Kindred politics, a fact which only becomes more pronounced as the Tremere curse is lifted and the Web of Knives becomes free to pursue Diablerie on whomever they please.

There's also something to be said about how, up until now, the Web of Knives basically held other Assamites hostage, literally and politically, for centuries. The whole "blood tithe" matter than went on after the Tremere curse was imposed upon all Warrior Assamites (and probably many non-Warriors as well). While I think some non-extremist Warriors would continue to sell their services, because it's a profitable set of skills (those skills being the ones for separating men from their ghosts), they wouldn't continue the practice of taking payment in blood. Not unless Camarilla Banu Haqim were interested in leveraging their Blood Magic Diablerie Substitute for some other purpose, after the Tremere curse is lifted. There's probably plenty of Kindred who would give Boons aplenty for a chance to lower their Generation without Diablerie.

Hell, the Camarilla would probably prefer that to the alternative, for obvious reasons. Creating a situation where more blood is traded in Boons, among Camarilla Kindred, because of how valuable it can be for this purpose. Though obviously most Kindred would insist on only giving the blood when it was actually be used for that express purpose, since a Kindred's blood can be used for all sorts of shady sorceries (usually at the expense of the Kindred in question).

RE: Timeframe, my understanding of Beckett's Jyhad Diary is that the events are happening around 2004-2005. I could be incorrect about this, but it was the impression I got from context. Which would mean that by V5, several years will have gone by since then. Enough to allow various new or reshuffled groups to form and settle, like House Carna, the Banu Haqim, and the like. And for a whole Sabbat Civil War and/or Gehenna Crusade to have happened. (Personally, I don't like the Gehenna Crusade, as a means of just wiping out most of the Sabbat. I LIKE the Sabbat, and its myriad factions. But I'm not against a Civil War, which could potentially fragment the sect into competing groups.)

With the matter of the Banu Haqim and the Tremere, I imagine that if you go with the idea of Clan Tremere fragmenting after the loss of the Vienna chantry, it makes the inclusion of the Banu Haqim in the Camarilla ranks all the more likely. The Tremere just became considerably less powerful, as well as considerably less reliable. For other Kindred, Blood Sorcerers are simply too valuable to go without (or at least to be without the option), so it's useful to have the Assamite Sorcerer caste on hand. Plus, having Tremere and Assamite sorcerers - along with any local Anarch sorcerers - gives Kindred the benefit of more choices, making it a buyer's market.

Comment

Tergyrius is a fricking saint given he didn't smash Beckett like a bug or at least Dominate him into shutting up despite being Helena's age.

(Personally, I don't like the Gehenna Crusade, as a means of just wiping out most of the Sabbat. I LIKE the Sabbat, and its myriad factions. But I'm not against a Civil War, which could potentially fragment the sect into competing groups.)
                I think a lot of fans assumed the Sabbat was going to get clobbered during the Gehenna Crusade and that's not apparently what happened or what was intended. Also, Chicago by Night 5E and some other elements we're encountering paint a very different picture.

I think the state of the Sabbat (and I could be wrong is):

State of the Sabbat

* The False Regent is revealed and a Sabbat Civil War ensues over who their successor is.

* The Black Hand fights with Jalan vs. the Three True Hand Seraphs.

* The True Hand either don't lose or prevent Jalan from winning since he vanishes.

* Polonia either wins or doesn't lose the fight for Regent because the Gehenna Crusade is his baby.

* A good number of Sabbat abandoned their home cities and territory in order to fight in the Gehenna War.

* Not ALL of the Sabbat went to the Middle East.

* The Sabbat lost Mexico City due to Fionrenza.

* The Second Inquisition hit them hard.

* A bunch of Sabbat defected to help form the Church of Caine, merging with Ministry and religious Anarchs as well as Camarilla-ites.

* Half the Lasombra went to the Camarilla with a lot of in-fighting and a mini-Civil War over the defectors turning over their fellow Sabbat to the Ivory Tower.

* The Tzimisce are still around and barring new information, haven't had an apocalyptic bit of weirdness happen to them.

* House Goratrix has been rebuilt by Tremere in Goratrix's body.

* The Gehenna Crusaders mostly are destroyed or become possessed by ancient Kindred they diablerize, becoming monsters terrifying to the old Sabbat.

So it's been a shitty decade and a half for the Sabbat but they're still going to be around in some form in addition to the mysterious diablerist 5th and 6th generation possessed Gehenna Crusaders.

It'll just be a diminished sect.
                Last edited by CTPhipps; 07-16-2019, 12:50 AM.

Forum Terms of Use
                the Contact Us link.

Comment

I'm late to this show, and still catching up on the thread, but I wanted to chime in on one thing before retiring for the evening.

My issue with Carna (the character) came from when I dug out my copy of Milwaukee by Night and read her character entry. It was written in the early days of First Edition, and it shows. Unfortunately, the current writers seemed to have missed the part where Modern WoD History doesn't support her backstory anymore. In it, she's clearly Embraced as the first women in a highly sexist clan, which tracks with V5's portrayal of House Carna as the feminist faction.

Problem: since the original Clanbook Tremere (and possibly earlier), Meerlinda has been a member of the Council of Seven since before they all became vampires. So Carna was not the first woman in Clan Tremere. As for how sexist it was, in the 17th Century, it was probably as sexist as every other organization, which is to same *A LOT*. But given that a woman had been on the Council since Day One, I doubt it was as institutionally pervasive and codified as MbN wanted it to be. Also, that book also portrays Carna as a very emotionally damaged and extremely manipulative person. The Carna we meet in BJD is like neither her false persona she uses to dupe people, nor like her true persona described in the original book.

My other problem is with House Carna, and that mainly stems from the fact that they were being set up as the Anarch house. Yet suddenly the Anarch Gude roles around and pulls out a fourth house from nowhere to be their Anarch house, and House Carna is still in the Camarilla... because reasons. Oh, and this new house gets barely any pages devoted to it, meaning it's even less developed than House Carna is. As an aside, I could go into a very lengthy rant on the Anarch Guide (which I just read), but it basically boils down to "this isn't a guide, it's an over-priced short story collection." I have no idea why this was suddenly course-corrected, but I'm tacking it onto the list of things I'm going to blithely ignore in my chronicles.

And this in turn, beggars a question. If Clan Tremere is still blatantly misogynistic in the 21st Century, why are there so many female Tremere, enough to break away and form a "feminist" faction? I mean, you literally have to be inducted into the Clan. This isn't a democracy with EEO requirements for Clan recruitment. If Clan Tremere hates women that much, then they simply wouldn't Embrace any.

And, if the Tremere are so die-hard "our way or the highway" Hermetic style mages that they don't brook other magical stylings in their Clan... why would they have Embraced those coming from another practicing styles? Their skills wouldn't translate, and they wouldn't want what they bring, so why would they even BE Clan Tremere in the first place?

I like the idea of an Anarch Tremere House and the fracturing of the Clan, but House Carna seems very poorly conceived, at least in the official material.
                  Last edited by Barachiel; 07-16-2019, 01:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Barachiel View Post
                    I'm late to this show, and still catching up on the thread, but I wanted to chime in on one thing before retiring for the evening.
                    Welcome aboard. I managed to get a lot of chapters out early on but it'll probably be slowing down to one every few days now.

My issue with Carna (the character) came from when I dug out my copy of Milwaukee by Night and read her character entry. It was written in the early days of First Edition, and it shows. Unfortunately, the current writers seemed to have missed the part where Modern WoD History doesn't support her backstory anymore. In it, she's clearly Embraced as the first women in a highly sexist clan, which tracks with V5's portrayal of House Carna as the feminist faction.

Problem: since the original Clanbook Tremere (and possibly earlier), Meerlinda has been a member of the Council of Seven since before they all became vampires. So Carna was not the first woman in Clan Tremere. As for how sexist it was, well, back then, it was probably as sexist as every other organization, which is to same *A LOT*. But given that a woman had been on the Council since Day One, I doubt it was as institutionally pervasive and codified as MbN wanted it to be. Also, that book also portrays Carna as a very emotionally damaged and extremely manipulative person. The Carna we meet in BJD is like neither her false persona she uses to dupe people, nor like her true persona described in the original book.
                    1. I don't think the two are necessarily incompatible but do need a bit of explanation. Even if there's a powerful woman on the Council of Seven, she's the only woman and while that means Carna wasn't the first woman (or even near it as we also have Virsitania and Marianna), there's plenty of ways that the organization could have been overly repressive to women. After all, most Tremere recruits are going to be from university educated backgrounds that women were historically denied. So women recruits will tend to have come from Mage groups that have been historically more egalitarian in the WOD. There's always going to the Madame Curries, self-educated women, and Ducheski Revenants as well but they're going to be forced to iceskate uphill as the Daywalker says.

2. It's also possible that Carna has regained some of her Humanity with the Book of the Grave Mind restoring her sanity once the Blood Bond and any Dominate she was under was removed. It's also possible she is a serial killer of her lovers as WELL as a revolutionary for liberation from the Tremere.

My other problem is with House Carna, and that mainly stems from the fact that they were being set up as the Anarch house. Yet suddenly the Anarch Gude roles around and pulls out a fourth house from nowhere to be their Anarch house, and House Carna is still in the Camarilla... because reasons. I could go into a very lengthy rant on the Anarch Guide (which I just read), but it basically boils down to "this isn't a guide, it's an over-priced short story collection." I have no idea why this was suddenly course-corrected, but I'm tacking it onto the list of things I'm going to blithely ignore in my chronicles.
                    LA by Night also makes it clear that the Ivory Tower Tremere are working to exterminate House Carna and many have fled to the Anarchs. My assumption is that House Carna isn't allied with the Anarchs voluntarily but is being slowly forced into it.
                    Last edited by CTPhipps; 07-16-2019, 01:32 AM.

Forum Terms of Use
                    the Contact Us link.

Comment

1. I don't think the two are necessarily incompatible but do need a bit of explanation. Even if there's a powerful woman on the Council of Seven, she's the only woman and while that means Carna wasn't the first woman (or even near it as we also have Virsitania and Marianna), there's plenty of ways that the organization could have been overly repressive to women. After all, most Tremere recruits are going to be from university educated backgrounds that women were historically denied to them. So women recruits will tend to have come from Mage groups that have bee n historically more egalitarian in the WOD.
                      Moreover, while some parts (or branches) of the Pyramid might be more accepting of women - usually those "branches" descending from figures like Meerlinda - others might be thoroughly sexist, for systemic and cultural reasons. The presence of powerful female Tremere in the Clan can only counteract sexism to such a degree, especially since so few recruits from academia would historically be women. The academic Boys Club would transfer over, especially in the middle ranks of the Pyramid.

The very top of the Pyramid is (was) mostly made of former Mages, who logically have a greater appreciation for female magicians. But those members are busy vampires, and don't have time to micromanage the gender relations of the lower ranks. That's what the Pontifixes, Lords, Regents, etc. are for. Ranks mostly filled with the aforementioned academics recruited from mortal universities and the like, who brought with them their preconceptions and attitudes.

In short: the presence of women in the Tremere hierarchy, including in positions of power, does not preclude sexism from happening. It just means those who practice and/or enable sexism must observe the barest minimum of discretion, to avoid attracting attention from figures like Meerlinda. And unlike, say, Corporate America, Clan and House Tremere doesn't have anyone enforcing even the pretense of equal opportunity practices and HR. Nor can any female magician in the Clan lodge a complaint, file a lawsuit, or go to the press to make Clan Tremere look bad.
                      Last edited by Bluecho; 07-16-2019, 01:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluecho View Post
                        Moreover, while some parts (or branches) of the Pyramid might be more accepting of women - usually those "branches" descending from figures like Meerlinda - others might be thoroughly sexist, for systemic and cultural reasons. The presence of powerful female Tremere in the Clan can only counteract sexism to such a degree, especially since so few recruits from academia would historically be women. The academic Boys Club would transfer over, especially in the middle ranks of the Pyramid.

The very top of the Pyramid is (was) mostly made of former Mages, who logically have a greater appreciation for female magicians. But those members are busy vampires, and don't have time to micromanage the gender relations of the lower ranks. That's what the Pontifixes, Lords, Regents, etc. are for. Ranks mostly filled with the aforementioned academics recruited from mortal universities and the like, who brought with them their preconceptions and attitudes.

In short: the presence of women in the Tremere hierarchy, including in positions of power, does not preclude sexism from happening. It just means those who practice and/or enable sexism must observe the barest minimum of discretion, to avoid attracting attention from figures like Meerlinda. And unlike, say, Corporate America, Clan and House Tremere doesn't have anyone enforcing even the pretense of equal opportunity practices and HR. Nor can any female magician in the Clan lodge a complaint, file a lawsuit, or go to the press to make Clan Tremere look bad.
                        There's also the fact that while I'm sure sexism is a big issue of House Carna's list of complaints, it's not the only one. Carna seems to be (from her Loresheet) interested in more primal sex, blood, and Verbena-esque magic (ala the Circle of the Crone or Bahari) than the staid academic tradition of Hermeticism. She also is generally hateful and loathing of the Pyramid as a whole. This makes perfect sense with the breaking of the Blood Bond all Tremere had at least in part to the Seven that all Tremere have since had broken with the destruction of the Seven (or apparent destruction). Every Tremere, even the most dogged loyalist, probably nurses SOME grudge or bitter memory of the clan's controlling oppressive nature.

As a less cultured clan might say, "Shit rolls downhill." Perhaps even more so than in the Ventrue.

So Carna has no end of potential recruits from people who want a different path from the Top Down Ars Magica Tremere.

A bit like the Technocracy, the Conditioning they all endured left lasting scars well beyond the mind-control designed to make them obedient.
                        Last edited by CTPhipps; 07-16-2019, 01:46 AM.

Forum Terms of Use
                        the Contact Us link.

Comment

This is one of the better chapters in the book.

VtM can offer a range of stories, from the local and gritty urban squalor of Gary, to globetrotting terrorist battling. This chapter falls into the latter category, as it moves from Jordan to Paris, and from intra-Clan politics to inter-clan politics.

Tegyrius strikes me as more or a Hannibal Lecter type, as compared to the Lex Luthor (or Anatoly Dyatlov for a real world example) model of vampire elder. That is to say, he probably never rants and raves about stupid people or slaps anyone around just because he can. But do not mistake his evident patience and good manners for decency, as he is usually the biggest monster in whatever room he happens to be in.

The examination of the Camarilla in operation, in the form of the meeting, is also good. I am somewhat amused by the characters in the Camarilla dismissing magic and prophesy, when they are supernatural characters and probably have blood magicians on speed dial.

In any case, the adventure hooks are solid and over it presents good reasons for including the Banu Haqim in almost any campaign.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluecho View Post
                            And unlike, say, Corporate America, Clan and House Tremere doesn't have anyone enforcing even the pretense of equal opportunity practices and HR. Nor can any female magician in the Clan lodge a complaint, file a lawsuit, or go to the press to make Clan Tremere look bad.
                            ...there's plenty of ways that the organization could have been overly repressive to women.
                            Yes, both of these, right here. Even now, in the real world, where groups and institutions are not supposed to be racist, sexist, homphobic and so forth, plenty of people manage it is small, passive-agressive ways and micro-agressions. And that is among humans, not a race of damned, blood drinking, sociopaths.

...My assumption is that House Carna isn't allied with the Anarchs voluntarily but is being slowly forced into it.
                            To add to this, Onyx Path probably are not filling out the details on House Carna for now, but they will probably appear in a future supplement. The resulting lack of details leaves space for individual players and Storytellers
                            Last edited by Grumpy RPG Reviews; 07-16-2019, 02:45 AM. Reason: Meerlinda made me do it.

Comment

So curious after Theo Pulled a Tyler on Hardstadt, how many members of the Camarilla even knew about Hardstadt? He was a mover and shaker so I figure a lot of Neonates would have no idea who he is but Elders and many Ancillae would have heard some of the names of the top Ventrue.
                              Last edited by Eldagusto; 07-16-2019, 04:43 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

@Topic: I just finished the first "walk-through" of BJD and I gotta thank CTPhipps for this thread because it made me go for that second read I was planning "maybe later": It's amazing how much I missed. As english is not my mother-tongue and I tend to read certain sentences rather quickly (for instance scenery descriptions or architecture will essentially be skipped for dialogue or "action"). It's not that I missed the important parts of Metaplot, but what I occasionally missed are a lot of foreshadowing moments or simple links between chapters, sometimes 400 pages apart. So, thanks again, it is really worth it.
                                I was planning on doing a similarly detailed read-through and commenting on every chapter, but as you are simply to quick for my pace, I'll be starting here and adding stuff when I've got the time

Chapter Four: The War across Dixie

I'm really fond of this chapter but it's also the first chapter that's a little out of my wheelhouse. .
                                Ditto. It's also the first chapter that made me realize how broad this opus magnum really is. I mean, I noticed how much of the actual metaplot it covers - some of which I knew or was familiar with, some of which I didn't - but when I first read it, I didn't always know how the different chapters were linked. I'm not so sure if Becketts voyage as a whole is always that...logical...but the overall arc becomes clearer and clearer to me.
                                Some examples - and forgive me, I've you guys already stated this - in this chapter alone:
                                The "voodoo"-sect Meeks is talking about, I'm know thinking it may be proof - or at least a foreshadowing - of the Harbinger of Skulls, the Cappadocians and the Samedi working together, which is established waaay later ("Death has many faces").
                                Furthermore, the mentioning of Loz in the Shaal-Fragment in the DC chapter is closely followed by "the Red Box of Loz" which the Revenant family working for the Tal'mahe'Ra use to collect vitae. I realized yesterday, that I actually knew the name "Loz", but I didn't know exactly more than "Loz and Ninmug" - so thanks to the WW-Wiki I was able to check my suspicions: Aralu. When I first read it I didn't really notice the TMRs part of the book until the Chapter with Dastur Anosh...
                                And a third example: Silverson appologizes for the pain, his Clan will cause Beckett. That has to be another foreshadowing for the Jerusalem chapter...Which is also some hundred pagers further down the read.
                                Wow.
                                I think the overall write-up of the plot is also very clever, as can be shown on this chapter: You have the Camarilla-War-Council were everyone seems to be in deep shit or covering some secrets the book discloses with the occasional intercepted E-mail. Which is not only fun to read but also helps to hint at plots you may or may not wish to follow with your chronicle - some of which you could easily "steal" (which I will be doing with the vitae-collecting "free ghoul"-familiy definitly serving a sleeping ancient) and transfer it to an altogether different setting.
                                Than you have the big dialogues of the signature characters, especially Pieterzoon and Beckett, which honestly was the one fact I remembered from this chapter, which are tragic and at the same time funny while also - at least in my case - distracting you of some of the details I mentioned early one.
                                So, all in all, yeah, I really liked that chapter :-)

Comment

Working...
                                X