Handling the Nagaraja, Salubri, Others, in V5

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Handling the Nagaraja, Salubri, Others, in V5

Inspired by some of the other threads and postings around here...
    How do you want to see your favorite bloodline handled in V5?
    The forthcoming Players Guide will only cover the clans, but there will probably be information on the bloodlines in the future. What do you want done, and what should be avoided?

Originally posted by Grumpy RPG Reviews View Post
    Inspired by some of the other threads and postings around here...
    How do you want to see your favorite bloodline handled in V5?
    The forthcoming Players Guide will only cover the clans, but there will probably be information on the bloodlines in the future. What do you want done, and what should be avoided?
    1. I'd like to see the Salubri freed from the extinction they suffered and still existing in the Middle East and Asia in relatively large numbers. The Tremere's reach didn't go everywhere on Earth and that should be something worth exploring. I'd also like to stick with them being "good"-ish vampires but the difference being one man's good is another man's evil.

2. I'd like the Nagaraja to be a much bigger Bloodline and potentially a major player in Asia because the Hungry Undead is a thing there and with the Kuei-jin downplayed, you could very easily have them be (if not Clan sized) really powerful. I wouldn't have them replace the Kuei-jin but you could easily have them take a chunk of their role.

3. More Chinese, Korean, and Japanese Bloodlines in general.

4. I'd like an actual history of the Daughters of Cacophany to explain who, what, when, where, and how.

Author of Cthulhu Armageddon, I was a Teenage Weredeer, Straight Outta Fangton, Lucifer's Star, and the Supervillainy Saga.

Comment

I hope that Salubri and Negaraja would return at some point, may be we could found something about the Nagaraja, Harbingers and Samedi in the Hecata book, Blood Gods. Samedi is one of the most interesting bloodlines for me, not only for the connection with the Harbingers, but for the vodou religion. As a fan of the old books and VTES cards I also found some guilty secretly hoping the returning of 2 of the most absurd, incoherent and fantastic bloodlines in a "gothic-punk" game, the True Brujah and the Kyasid. Both are so stupid as characters that I do not expect to be playable, but I think that they may be interesisting non player characters.

Comment

I'd say, it would be better to remove them and retcon them

there just isn't enough vampires in the world to comfortably represent all the bloodlines, and having them number by 10s or 20s isn't very sexy (if you catch my meaning...it's ok if you don't)

and several of them are game breaking and hard to introduce in the world,
        it's already hard to have more than one Giovanni in an average city due to their clan weakness, Nagaraja are on a whole other level,
        and having them using alternatives for feeding like blood banks and magic conserved bodies isn't very sexy

salubri are my favorite,
        but for me they only worked in vtm because their attitude was explained by their history with the kuei-jin,
        without the kuei-jin, they just sound like overly extremist vampires which don't fit very well with the rest of the nuanced vampires (even in the sabbat)

I like most bloodlines concepts, but I would love if, instead of vampiric bloodlines, they were replaced by other splats (e.g Nagaraja could be liches),
        this would help explain their inherent differences to the rest of caine-kind

-

Comment

Originally posted by Pleiades View Post
          it's already hard to have more than one Giovanni in an average city due to their clan weakness, Nagaraja are on a whole other level,
          I feel like the Nagaraja have a lot less of a problem getting food than most vampires. After all, people die every day.

Author of Cthulhu Armageddon, I was a Teenage Weredeer, Straight Outta Fangton, Lucifer's Star, and the Supervillainy Saga.

Comment

Originally posted by CTPhipps View Post

I feel like the Nagaraja have a lot less of a problem getting food than most vampires. After all, people die every day.
            iirc, regular vampires can drink blood from fresh bodies,
            if nagaraja have an easy time getting fresh bodies, then why don't other vampires do the same?

-

Comment

iirc, regular vampires can drink blood from fresh bodies,
              if nagaraja have an easy time getting fresh bodies, then why don't other vampires do the same?
              Most vampires can get away with hunting other kinds of prey.

Mind you, my Giovanni tend to run hospices and funeral parlors anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Justycar View Post
                I hope that Salubri and Negaraja would return at some point, may be we could found something about the Nagaraja, Harbingers and Samedi in the Hecata book, Blood Gods. Samedi is one of the most interesting bloodlines for me, not only for the connection with the Harbingers, but for the vodou religion. As a fan of the old books and VTES cards I also found some guilty secretly hoping the returning of 2 of the most absurd, incoherent and fantastic bloodlines in a "gothic-punk" game, the True Brujah and the Kyasid. Both are so stupid as characters that I do not expect to be playable, but I think that they may be interesisting non player characters.
                It's already been said that the Harbingers/Cappadocians/Samedi will be touched on in Cults of the Blood Gods, since they are three of the four things that make up the Hecata.

Comment

Most vampires can get away with hunting other kinds of prey.
                  exactly, Nagaraja don't have it easier than other vampires

-

Comment

exactly, Nagaraja don't have it easier than other vampires
                    Eh, once they have a position with an acess to bodies it's smooth sailing.

Comment

The Salubri have had so many interpretations/exceptions to their extinction over the books it's tricky to give them a single role in the setting. I think they work best when serving as the truly rare example vampires living unlife of solitude and reflection. Keepers of the secrets of Golcanda (true or not), sage that can be sought out by those hoping to restore their Humanity. Particularly with other clans gaining a closer affinity to religion, the Tremere hegemony broken, do we need the warrior Salubri?

However, there needs to be a reason the remaining Salubri both keep themselves around but don't try to increase their numbers significantly. Perhaps they have realized that they were betrayed by their Founder, and know that through their bloodline Saulot can continue to play the Jyhad. By maintaining their isolation, they reduce their value to Saulot and avoid contributing to greater evil. Considering how much of the fanbase knows of Saulot's many crimes, it'd be nice for his childer to learn the truth after all this time.

Demon: The Fallen CoD/X20 Revamp
                      Mage: The Ascension Arch-Spheres
                      Mage: The Ascension CoD/X20 Revamp

Comment

Originally posted by moogle001 View Post
                        The Salubri have had so many interpretations/exceptions to their extinction over the books it's tricky to give them a single role in the setting. I think they work best when serving as the truly rare example vampires living unlife of solitude and reflection. Keepers of the secrets of Golcanda (true or not), sage that can be sought out by those hoping to restore their Humanity. Particularly with other clans gaining a closer affinity to religion, the Tremere hegemony broken, do we need the warrior Salubri?

However, there needs to be a reason the remaining Salubri both keep themselves around but don't try to increase their numbers significantly. Perhaps they have realized that they were betrayed by their Founder, and know that through their bloodline Saulot can continue to play the Jyhad. By maintaining their isolation, they reduce their value to Saulot and avoid contributing to greater evil. Considering how much of the fanbase knows of Saulot's many crimes, it'd be nice for his childer to learn the truth after all this time.
                        I dunno, "Incredibly powerful clan of Warlocks hunts us" is a pretty good reason.

Comment

I dunno, "Incredibly powerful clan of Warlocks hunts us" is a pretty good reason.
                          It can, but as mentioned above, the Tremere's reach was clearly never as great as they claimed. And I'm not sure keeping one's numbers low is all that great a means to survive a purge. More doing the enemy's work for you... Would be a lot smarter to embrace a bunch of "caitiff" and teach them to infiltrate domains around the globe.

Comment

Originally posted by moogle001 View Post

It can, but as mentioned above, the Tremere's reach was clearly never as great as they claimed. And I'm not sure keeping one's numbers low is all that great a means to survive a purge. More doing the enemy's work for you... Would be a lot smarter to embrace a bunch of "caitiff" and teach them to infiltrate domains around the globe.
                            Mind you, that is the basis of the Salubri Antitribu and they never felt right in the Sabbat.

Comment

Mind you, that is the basis of the Salubri Antitribu and they never felt right in the Sabbat.
                              Agreed. Happy to have them consumed along with the majority of the Sabbat. Hence, any real Salubri presence should be of the healer line and some place the Tremere didn't have much reach. But even there they should be disparate and hard to find. To those who've heard of the clan, the Salubri should be a lesson of how Cainites destroy the best among them. To those who have met the Salubri, they should be proof that reality is far more complicated than myth.
                              Last edited by moogle001; 07-14-2019, 08:27 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X