Handling the Nagaraja, Salubri, Others, in V5

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by moogle001 View Post

Agreed. Happy to have them consumed along with the majority of the Sabbat. Hence, any real Salubri presence should be of the healer line and some place the Tremere didn't have much reach. But even there
    Beckett's Jyhad Diary said there were 7 in Ashirra territory but there was a treaty that prevented them from having more.

Author of Cthulhu Armageddon, I was a Teenage Weredeer, Straight Outta Fangton, Lucifer's Star, and the Supervillainy Saga.

Comment

Originally posted by CTPhipps View Post
      4. I'd like an actual history of the Daughters of Cacophany to explain who, what, when, where, and how.
      Honestly my favorite thing about the bloodlines is that, unlike other aspects of the WoD, there's no Canonical Word of God telling you exactly what's true about their history. Having fixed set-in-stone canon takes away a lot of the mystery.

Comment

I like to blame that ambiguity on the True Brujah.

Comment

Originally posted by Draconis View Post

Honestly my favorite thing about the bloodlines is that, unlike other aspects of the WoD, there's no Canonical Word of God telling you exactly what's true about their history. Having fixed set-in-stone canon takes away a lot of the mystery.
          For me, I'm the opposite.

They have no history so I can't use them.

They're just an explanation for a Discipline. Without an origin, I refuse to have them in my games because they're unusable. No history, no place in the setting.

Author of Cthulhu Armageddon, I was a Teenage Weredeer, Straight Outta Fangton, Lucifer's Star, and the Supervillainy Saga.

Comment

For me, I'm the opposite.

They have no history so I can't use them.

They're just an explanation for a Discipline. Without an origin, I refuse to have them in my games because they're unusable. No history, no place in the setting.
            But they do have histories, half a dozen different conflicting ones spread across various books. They might have been created by a team of Tremere and Malkavians trying to prove that clans were psychosomatic, by mentally conditioning someone until they broke free of one clan and developed another. Or maybe a Torrie made a deal with the Fae to perfect her art. Or they were a Sabbat blood-magic experiment to disguise the marks of the antitribu. Or some nonsense about the True Black Hand. If you want one of these to be canon, take it and run with it.

To me, there's just no mystery in the World of Darkness when everything has one strict, canonical, set-in-stone explanation in the metaplot. Surely neonate PCs wouldn't know millennia and millennia of history by heart from the moment of their Embrace. Can't there be some parts of vampiric history that the players, likewise, aren't expected to know for certain?

Comment

Originally posted by Draconis View Post

But they do have histories, half a dozen different conflicting ones spread across various books. They might have been created by a team of Tremere and Malkavians trying to prove that clans were psychosomatic, by mentally conditioning someone until they broke free of one clan and developed another. Or maybe a Torrie made a deal with the Fae to perfect her art. Or they were a Sabbat blood-magic experiment to disguise the marks of the antitribu. Or some nonsense about the True Black Hand. If you want one of these to be canon, take it and run with it.

To me, there's just no mystery in the World of Darkness when everything has one strict, canonical, set-in-stone explanation in the metaplot. Surely neonate PCs wouldn't know millennia and millennia of history by heart from the moment of their Embrace. Can't there be some parts of vampiric history that the players, likewise, aren't expected to know for certain?
              I think that its best to have the STs know the truths and players learn such things in game.

Answers are important if you're the ST and expected to provide them.

Comment

I think that its best to have the STs know the truths and players learn such things in game.

Sure, but the books specifically provide various different histories the ST can use for that. They just don't specify "this version, and only this version, is Canon, by Word of God". One ST can run with the fae origin, another with the unethical-Tremere-experiment version, without the players knowing from the outset—which to me can make the reveal that the PC's whole bloodline was created by a Tremere experiment gone wrong a whole lot more satisfying (since they didn't know that OOC from the outset).

Comment

I think that the more difficult thing is the trust that a player needs to have in their ST that the answers will satisfy. And that is difficult if the ST Makes it up or chooses it. If it's in the book you can blame the book, if the ST chooses something you aren't satisfied with, that could affect the relationship.
                  Also, if you make a character expecting certain things or connections to exist and it's changed, that can be disappointing; even if you didn't realize those expectations were there in creating the character.

Comment

Working...
                  X