Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you think that bloodlines was, in any way, a sexist game?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fuzzball6846
    replied
    I think there was a disparity in the way female characters were sexualized in comparison to male characters.

Almost every female character in Bloodlines wears highly revealing clothing and/or immediately flirts with the PC (Jeanette, Velvet, Venus, Heather, Pisha, every blood doll in a club and possibly Ming Xiao).

Then there are the minor characters who solely exist as props to arouse the protaganist (Jezebel, Chastity, Misti, Nadia).

Of all the female characters in Bloodlines, only six remain un-sexualized (Damsel, because she's meant to be a bitch; Doris, because she's an old lady; Patty, because she's annoying; Kiki, because she's annoying/a bitch; Samantha, because she's meant to be a moral anchor for the PC; and Lily, because she's madly in love with another man).

Comparatively, only two male characters have scantily-clad outfits (Jack and Mitnick, neither of which were meant to be attractive) and only Romero flirts with the PC.

That being said, I wouldn't consider Bloodlines to be a sexist game.

Most of the female characters have varied and detailed personalties. The overt sexuality of characters like Jeanette and Velvet adds to their narratives, rather than reducing them. Most female characters are sexualized, yes, but they aren't objectified. Compared to most games circa 2004, and many games today, Bloodlines was ahead of its time.

While I don't consider Bloodlines to be sexist, it's not wrong to call it a "male power fantasy". Most video games, especially ones about vampires or other supernatural creatures, are power fantasies. That's the point. Being a reality-bending, superhuman creature is the definition of a power fantasy.

What makes a game like Bloodlines a "*male* power fantasy" is its strong partiality towards a male audience. It assumes (rightly or wrongly) that the player is a young man who will enjoy having scantily-clad vampire women flirt with him. It also assumes that having a joint 'female power fantasy' narrative would reduce male interest.

There's nothing wrong with male power fantasies. Some of the most amazing games I've played have been male power fantasies, Bloodlines among them. But, as a female gamer, I would prefer a game that also catered to my interests. Male power fantasies have dominated the Action/Adventure genre of gaming/TV/movies for decades. I think the addition of some diversity is probably a good thing.
    Last edited by fuzzball6846; 07-17-2019, 06:50 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Nyrufa
    replied
    Originally posted by CTPhipps View Post

True. You can in fact give him a handjob in a graveyard.

"Just don't bite it... what? I meant my neck!"
    Last edited by Nyrufa; 07-17-2019, 04:47 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Pleiades
    replied

is that what it was?
    cause I remember the vampire's screaming during the black screen,
    but it's been so long, so my memory ain't so clear
    Last edited by Pleiades; 07-17-2019, 04:33 PM.

Leave a comment:

• CTPhipps
    replied
    Originally posted by Pleiades View Post

Isaac's ghoul actually

Leave a comment:

• Pleiades
    replied

but there's no male romantic options.
    Isaac's ghoul actually

Leave a comment:

• CTPhipps
    replied
    Originally posted by mark View Post
    One of the writers of the new game called the prequel " a masculine power fantasy". I don't remember the game having any sexist elements.. but being male it's possible they went under my radar. I'm particularly interested in what female gamers think
    Relaying the opinions of my wife and a few others, it's a very popular game among women as well as a game that has a lot of female fans. However, the game irritated them in the fact that you can sleep with Jeanette and flirt heavily with Vivi (as well as sleep with her in the Modded version) but there's no male romantic options.

You can't flirt with Nines or La Croix for example.

Plus the vast majority of feeding options for Seduction (as in ALL of them but ONE) are beautiful women.

Vampires are supposed to be sexy but it skewed heavily on the female fanservice.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X