Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you think that bloodlines was, in any way, a sexist game?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you think that bloodlines was, in any way, a sexist game?

One of the writers of the new game called the prequel " a masculine power fantasy". I don't remember the game having any sexist elements.. but being male it's possible they went under my radar. I'm particularly interested in what female gamers think

• CTPhipps
    replied
    Originally posted by Heavy Arms View Post

This is.... a very questionable summary of events.

The "criticisms of Bloodlines is excessive" seems fairly biased, and is ignoring why a mod intervened.

jamiemalk came in to make the case that being "too progressive and inclusive," turned people off and cited the "Nazis fuck off," V5 thing as part that, it wasn't used as an example of why being critical is necessary, but as something too heavy handed turning people off.

Myself and others were making the "we need to be critical," argument to NotEmpathetic. And not based on the grounds that some fans are assholes, but that being critical increases the quality of games for everyone, not just the minorities games made primarily for straight men turn away.
    I'm not sure it was biased since my view was the transition was natural, civil, and informative.

Leave a comment:

• Heavy Arms
    replied
    As the spouse of a regular poster on Ravelry... that trimmed off the worst of things, but there's plenty of threads that go to dumb places still.

Leave a comment:

• Cifer
    replied
    Originally posted by Heavy Arms View Post
    You should see what a knitting forum is like.
    Some of them less so than others now.

Leave a comment:

• Heavy Arms
    replied
    Originally posted by Grumpy RPG Reviews View Post
    It's the internet? Maybe it's inevitable. I bet the same thing happens in forums dedicated to discussing recipes for scones and breakfast food.
    You should see what a knitting forum is like.

Leave a comment:

• Heavy Arms
    replied
    Originally posted by CTPhipps View Post
    * Criticism of Bloodlines is excessive
    * They need to be critical because some fans are assholes
    * Are they?
    * Yes, why they needed to put a disclaimer against Nazis
    This is.... a very questionable summary of events.

The "criticisms of Bloodlines is excessive" seems fairly biased, and is ignoring why a mod intervened.

jamiemalk came in to make the case that being "too progressive and inclusive," turned people off and cited the "Nazis fuck off," V5 thing as part that, it wasn't used as an example of why being critical is necessary, but as something too heavy handed turning people off.

Myself and others were making the "we need to be critical," argument to NotEmpathetic. And not based on the grounds that some fans are assholes, but that being critical increases the quality of games for everyone, not just the minorities games made primarily for straight men turn away.

Leave a comment:

• CTPhipps
    replied
    * Bloodlines
    * Sexism
    * Criticism of Bloodlines is excessive
    * They need to be critical because some fans are assholes
    * Are they?
    * Yes, why they needed to put a disclaimer against Nazis
    * I found that excessive
    * I know some actual Nazi gamers
    * Nazi gamers suck
    * How do we react to Nazi Gamers?
    * Try to win them over or cast them out?
    * Nazis historically suck

Leave a comment:

• Pleiades
    replied
    happens in real life conversations too

Leave a comment:

• Grumpy RPG Reviews
    replied
    It's the internet? Maybe it's inevitable. I bet the same thing happens in forums dedicated to discussing recipes for scones and breakfast food.

Leave a comment:

• lycaniz
    replied
    how the hell did this topic go from a reasonably discussed VtM:B to Feminazis, actual nazis, and facists?

Leave a comment:

• Pleiades
    replied
    Originally posted by Undead rabbit View Post
    While it was surely a terrible experience, I would not put French Colonialism on the same tier of Auschwitz and Theresienstadt.
    The only colonial experience that could be compared on some degree it's what the Belgians of Leopold did in Congo.
    no of course we're not comparing,
    the nazis were the most heinous and inhuman of all,
    now hold my beer while I go hunt some brown men cause I'm so much better than those bastards (sarcasm of course)

distasteful jokes aside,
    I'm not comparing victims, my point was,
    a power ignoring the victims of another power was the trend back then

the past decades were certainly different (albeit, without that much success)
    Last edited by Pleiades; 07-25-2019, 11:01 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Undead rabbit
    replied
    While it was surely a terrible experience, I would not put French Colonialism on the same tier of Auschwitz and Theresienstadt.
    The only colonial experience that could be compared on some degree it's what the Belgians of Leopold did in Congo.
    Last edited by Undead rabbit; 07-25-2019, 10:34 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Pleiades
    replied
    Originally posted by Nyrufa View Post
    Also, the people who you claim were ignoring the problem didn't "have the power to stop them."
    well, it was probably less about power than those large enemy powers being no different from the nazis,

you always hear about the holocaust, but not that much about how France used africans from her colonies on the front lines,
    or how, when France declared victory over the nazis, and some colony dared pull their national flag, the french soldiers didn't hesitate to murder tens of thousands (in a single day, including children) to silence them,
    and even though they lost several colonies, the French empire still holds the former colonies' governments and economies by the balls, on top of holding veto-power

yes, nazis were terrible, but they weren't really an exception, more like the rule

Leave a comment:

• Cifer
    replied
    Originally posted by Nyrufa View Post
    Also, the people who you claim were ignoring the problem didn't "have the power to stop them." The entire reason why Hitler rose to power in the first place, is because Germany was in dire straights, both financially and politically. They needed somebody who was strong, intelligent, and charismatic enough to bring them back to some measure of stability, and Hitler proved to be that man in their eyes. Heck, the Nazi's were actually on the verge of winning the war, until Hitler got over confident and decided to attack the Russians at the same time he was attacking the Allied forces.

The Nazi's did a lot of terrible things to people, and racked up a massive body count. That's certainly true, and nobody is going to deny it, without getting slapped in the face. But at the time that they were in power, they got a failing country up and running again, as well as restoring some measure of self esteem to a government that was in desperate need of it.
    Yeah, that one's propaganda up on a level with the stab-in-the-back myth. When the nazis were handed the chancellorship they were actually on the brink of being defeated - the great depression was pretty much over and the NSDAP was actually bleeding votes. If they hadn't been handed the chancellorship via presidential decree, if people hadn't stood by as other parties got harassed prior to the March election, if the centre parties hadn't basically voted themselves out of existence with the enabling act, things would have ended differently.
    As for the rapid economical upswing, as others mentioned, part of it was because of actions of prior administrations that paid off now and the rest would not have been in the least sustainable if the nazis hadn't started the war. There is no separating one from the other because the gains were utterly shortterm. It was setting your house on fire to feel warm.

The Weimar Republic was an impressively progressive state for its time - or even for our time. It makes me sick to think of how much social progress we lost because people stood by and handed the book-burners the matches. All the LGBTAIQ* topics we're discussing today and in the last years? We could have moved past those half a century ago.

Originally posted by Draconis View Post
    Just gonna say, misogynists have called feminists "feminazis" for years, but I've never seen a feminist rally bring out the swastikas and torches…
    While that may be true, one of my friends does have a pretty cool "Feminazgûl" t-shirt. The world of man will end...

Leave a comment:

• Draconis
    replied
    Originally posted by jamiemalk View Post
    A slightly masogyinst dude who's not got the skills to be able to talk to a woman like a person isn't a nazi, but if he gets treated like one, that's what he'll turn into.
    Just gonna say, misogynists have called feminists "feminazis" for years, but I've never seen a feminist rally bring out the swastikas and torches…

The alt-right absolutely relies on young (almost exclusively white, male) people feeling disenfranchised and isolated for recruitment, but if using the word "Nazi" turned people into Nazis, we would have seen hordes of rampaging white-nationalist feminists a decade ago.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X