This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Castillian (Spanish) for Vampire the Masquerade players

Castillian (not in fact spanish, because spanish are four more languages too) is very common in the Vampire the Masquerade terminology, but I have found that often is difficult for non spanish writters to understand some uses of the languages that are not easily translatable to english. For example the clan La Sombra means The Shadow, so write "the Lasombra" is similar to "the The Shadow", being a bit redundant. I could understand that the term had become an exception, but it is funny for me. Toreador is interistingly a very archaic word in castillian, probably named after the Bizet´s aria, and retconned to Rafael de Corazón, one of the founders. But the common word for Toreador in castillian is Torero. Brujah has a different pronuntiation in the videogames, the most similar to the the castillian is not Bruya, but Bru_ha. On the opposite, the Camarilla it sounds in english like Camariya, not camarila, the double LL changes the sound (is also a common missunderstood in paella). Finally, as we have no neutral article as it is THE, in very tipical in the books of White Wolf change the gender of the articles, saying EL Universidad, instead of LA Universidad, and so on. Probably, is not important for most os the fans, but given the common use of this words I think you could found this piece of information interesting.
    Last edited by Justycar; 07-19-2019, 05:17 PM.

Excepth that their name is not La Sombra. It is Lasombra. Like Di Pietro, you would not say they are of Pietro. They are the Di Pietros. English doesn't translate names to english it just uses the name as a new proper noun.

Comment

I am from spain and i am pretty sure that spanish is what i speak.

What you are posting here is a lie as the regional tongues are not spanish and are so different that some of them don´t even come from the same source "latin".
      Last edited by Leandro16; 07-19-2019, 08:33 PM.

Hunger pool

Comment

Well, Leandro, spanish is not a language, but a country and due to decades of being procribed the non castillian laguages were forgotten and pollitically damaged. Probably you are not from one of those regions and it is diffficult to understand. I do not expect change your mind, is a historical and political discussions that begins centuries ago. And, even the basque is the exceptions, the other four come from latin roots. Most of the people fall in a metonimia in that kind of missconceptions in the same way the italian is the toscanian dialect and was not trully spoken in southern regions of Italy until were invaded.

About La Sombra or Lasombra, Talvas, I only was giving the explanation, you can continue writting as you want, of course.

Comment

It’s less common in vtm, but the use of French is also weird. For instance, in a Dark Ages supplemét, there is a guy called Jean-Marc d’Martinique : for one, the d’ is used insted of the de (which means «*of*», and is very common in nobles name to indicate where their family is from) only when the following word starts with a vowel, so it should be Jean-Marc de Martinique, and also Martinique is a frnch island in the caribbeans and nothing else (it’s not a place in France, it doesn’t have any meaning...) so it doesn’t make sense for him to have this name. I’m sure there are plenty of other examples too.

Comment

Originally posted by Yorkblack View Post
            For instance, in a Dark Ages supplemét, there is a guy called Jean-Marc d’Martinique.
            Being french, i agree that it’s not only weird but in fact you’ll never ever see it written this way. Though i understand the will behind it : it reproduces the speech habits and impédiments of black natives wich might have a hard time with french elaborates grammar and syntaxic rules. They do speak creole, wich is a very inspirated form of french with some differences. So, this Jean-Marc d’Martinique is a «*written like it is heard*» name, to give an exotic flavour inducing the fact that this guy is creole, or white but there for a long time.

As you said , the «*de*» wich means «*of*» is often seen in nobles names. Being allowed Lords of some lands until the 19e century by either kings or Napoleon, that land was bound to their names. That way you could inherit multiple «*de*», from your father, your mother, and your own achievments. There is a Claude De Muzard De Poix Seigneur De Sanzelles in my genealogy. Those three lands are small places, not even a town. So you’ll never see a noble man called «*De Martinique*» in a meaning of*«*Lord of Martinique*». That guy should be a guy of royal blood like king’s brother. That’s way too big.

In fact you have to read it «*from Martinique*», wich is not a noble name. There is a ton of french names with «*de*» in the meaning of «*from there*» and not «*important people of that land*».

While you could handle it with four guy names Jean with two or three families in the same area, it became way harder when you got more families, more people, and an incredible lust for naming kids Jean, or Marie. Just take a look at the baptisms books. You could have a father named Jean, and three of his children getting the same name, giving it to their own child. Painful.

So the «*de*» became a fair mean to identify whose Jean you were talking about. Jean Delagrange is the guy who lives by the barn, for example.

Many people would imagine they are of noble descent because of a «*de*» in their name. The truth is, it is not.
            Last edited by Grands-Pas; 07-20-2019, 02:56 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X