Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need some help on refining a character concept: Cop turned Lasombra for the Sabbat?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some help on refining a character concept: Cop turned Lasombra for the Sabbat?

Hi guys, it's been a long time since I posted in general, and I hope it's fine if I ask for some help on refining a Character I have.

So I've sort of started a game with a friend of mine but we haven't gotten very far into it. The idea was that I wanted to play a Lasombra in the Sabbat, and I created a policeman who otherwise had a steady life. He's good, had a girlfriend, got some opportunities from mysterious strangers to further advance as a policeman, some issues with his tastes in people...of course, I created the character in mind to have a good life that would be perfectly broken by the Lasombra Embrace.

These issues started happening and these are the results.
    -One simple check up on three girls with the help of a cop ends up with him blacking out before anything started, and waking up to the corpses of the three girls and his partner.
    -On a simple arrest to a prostitute, he finds himself sleeping with her which makes him question what he did because he wouldn't naturally do this.
    -Out of the blue, he's asked to lead a swat raid on an (unbeknownst to him) sabbat hideout. Long story short, all of the police die, he's forced to try and entertain a sabbat pack and his failures lead to one of the others dying. It ends with only him and two others surviving, which him being forced to leave one other behind because they would collapse the building.
    -As he was recovering in the hospital, he gets accused of killing and raping the previous three girls and killing the partner cop.
    -The prostitute comes back, turns out she's pregnant now and needs child support.

All of this causes him to be hated by his own coworkers, broken up with by his girlfriend, thought as a rapist by the general public despite winning the case. Overall, his life is a wreck, he vaguely knows he's just a pawn for something else from the Sabbat encounter. Dominate was involved with the prostitute, though she's not a vampire nor a ghoul, as well with possibly the superiors who made him do the sabbat raid.

In the end, his life is in shambles and he's left wanting to die, but he gets a call from an unknown number, with instructions to go somewhere. Deciding he might as well, he goes...to a hotel room where a man awaits. Figuring that going to a place underneath mysterious circumstances would more than likely lead to his death, he decided he was overly fine with that. Alas, no rest for the wicked: he became a Lasombra.

As of yet, the game ended off a day or so later, after learning about where he could go for Sabbat things, the infodump of vampire stuffs, and getting into a fight with a guy who he proceeded to ghoul by kissing the vitae into his mouth, and then started trying to get to know him so he'd willingly be his ghoul (aka getting the other two vitae in his system).

What I wanted was an attempt at playing a more forceful, assertive character. But I'm more inclined to play more humane and good, and perhaps enjoying some affection with the same sex which leads to the issue that I'm playing to similarly to how I've played with this ST for ages and it bores him. So I'm hoping to ask for some help on how I should play him or whatnot, like using his expertise as a cop? For example, he could sniff out undercover officers or use his skills in intimidation somehow. Then there's also the idea of the Sabbat offering him better opportunities than he could ever have in life, leading to an easy path in corruption. There's also the factor of losing humanity and going onto a different Path of Enlightenment.

If it helps as well, we're using nWoD mechanics (which still follow the oWoD ideas as faithfully as possible) with translated VTM stuff. He has Obtenebration 2, Potence 1, but he lacks Dominate. He's good at intimidating, has relatively good knowledge on police systems and law, alot better at running than physical force.

I'm sorry for the huge wall of text. Any help is appreciated.

Currently Doing: Siren the Drowning (Fansplat Ressurection) http://forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/m...e-resurrection

If it also helps, I have been thinking to play more bold and less sneaky, but again, some issues due to how I am usually not being like that. ><"

Currently Doing: Siren the Drowning (Fansplat Ressurection) http://forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/m...e-resurrection

Comment

Everything you have so far seems good. You have a lot of plot development, and a handle on his personality. So, what is your actual question? What do you need help with?

Comment

I've never had the best grasp of Lasombra concepts, but why was he targeted in the first place? Don't Lasombra tend go for more ambitious people?

Comment

Originally posted by Nosimplehiway View Post
          Everything you have so far seems good. You have a lot of plot development, and a handle on his personality. So, what is your actual question? What do you need help with?
          I suppose trying to play abit more bold, or maybe help in trying to think less human and more like the sabbat would play as an inhuman monster? ><" I feel I'm starting to get it, at least being more assertive, but thinking more of "how to help him become more monstrous"?

I'm considering Power and Inner Voice as a path of enlightenment, but there's also Honorable Accord and Beast that comes to mind as well.

Originally posted by Spencer from The Hills View Post
          I've never had the best grasp of Lasombra concepts, but why was he targeted in the first place? Don't Lasombra tend go for more ambitious people?
          They do, but in our games the Embrace is played more as "can happen to anyone for any reason". That said, I did play it more in how the Lasombra tend to break down their potential childer and see how they handle it. Due to having that criteria, it works well enough at least in our games. That and the ST is probably keeping it secret for now, helps with setting up interesting plots.

Comment

Originally posted by Nosimplehiway View Post

If i'm getting it right, the OP's question would be "what kind of advice could you give into roleplaying this character, one of a more forceful, assertive manner than i used to portray in my usual PCs, in trying to experiment a bit with going outside my milieu/sandbox?"

Am i getting this right, SaulottheGentle?

Originally posted by Spencer from The Hills View Post
            ​Usually. Doesn't mean they can't embrace people for more personal, emotional, nostalgic or plain irrational reasons like all other kindred.
            See Monçada & angry brat Lucita for a more than awesome canon example of that in action.

Originally posted by SaulottheGentle View Post
            What I wanted was an attempt at playing a more forceful, assertive character. But I'm more inclined to play more humane and good, and perhaps enjoying some affection with the same sex which leads to the issue that I'm playing to similarly to how I've played with this ST for ages and it bores him. So I'm hoping to ask for some help on how I should play him or whatnot, like using his expertise as a cop? For example, he could sniff out undercover officers or use his skills in intimidation somehow. Then there's also the idea of the Sabbat offering him better opportunities than he could ever have in life, leading to an easy path in corruption. There's also the factor of losing humanity and going onto a different Path of Enlightenment.
            Well, the concept per se seems pretty solid, though the motives of the sire might be a bit questionable - i get the impression he's in it more for messing with the PC's spirit or create someone who would go against the Sabbat, a strange agenda indeed (unless he's planning turn against the sect in the city and the PC is one of many pieces in his future gambit) - but overall the character and his concept seem pretty solid for me.

The impreession i have is that you want help with a style of play that is not your usual one, trying to break out of your own habits in gaming and roleplay style. What i would say is, seek inspiration.
            He's a cop, a fallen one, of a temperament more assertive, direct, forceful than your usual characters - then look out for those. Take a look at Law & Order, CSI, the Shield, Dexter, Lethal Weapon or any of a number of cop shows or films you can get your hands into - watch them, mine scenes & ideas, try to get into the heads of those who catch your attention, immerse yourself in the style you seek, from there memory and imagination will help comming up with the rest. The more you get into it, more naturally you'll ad lib and improvise yourself.

Those are my thoughts. Hope it helps.

Comment

Originally posted by Baaldam View Post
              If i'm getting it right, the OP's question would be "what kind of advice could you give into roleplaying this character, one of a more forceful, assertive manner than i used to portray in my usual PCs, in trying to experiment a bit with going outside my milieu/sandbox?"

Am i getting this right, SaulottheGentle?
              Yup.

​Usually. Doesn't mean they can't embrace people for more personal, emotional, nostalgic or plain irrational reasons like all other kindred.
              See Monçada & angry brat Lucita for a more than awesome canon example of that in action.
              Indeed. :3

Well, the concept per se seems pretty solid, though the motives of the sire might be a bit questionable - i get the impression he's in it more for messing with the PC's spirit or create someone who would go against the Sabbat, a strange agenda indeed (unless he's planning turn against the sect in the city and the PC is one of many pieces in his future gambit) - but overall the character and his concept seem pretty solid for me.
              Well, the Lasombra has a Camarilla Contact, and the Camarilla and Sabbat want to fight each other in the city (Baltimore btw) but the Giovanni are currently between them. It's a forced peace treaty with the Giovanni going "whoever attacks first, we'll help the defenders" while being paid quite well. So it's quite plausible the Lasombra might go Camarilla, but I'm trying to remain Sabbat.

The impression i have is that you want help with a style of play that is not your usual one, trying to break out of your own habits in gaming and roleplay style. What i would say is, seek inspiration.
              He's a cop, a fallen one, of a temperament more assertive, direct, forceful than your usual characters - then look out for those. Take a look at Law & Order, CSI, the Shield, Dexter, Lethal Weapon or any of a number of cop shows or films you can get your hands into - watch them, mine scenes & ideas, try to get into the heads of those who catch your attention, immerse yourself in the style you seek, from there memory and imagination will help comming up with the rest. The more you get into it, more naturally you'll ad lib and improvise yourself.

Those are my thoughts. Hope it helps.
              Oh dear. I've basically grew up with my mom or brother watching those kinds of shows (especially CSI and Law and Order) and I thought "everyone on there is a dick!". Well, I suppose it's something. Thank you so much, it definitely does help. :3

Comment

Oh dear. I've basically grew up with my mom or brother watching those kinds of shows (especially CSI and Law and Order) and I thought "everyone on there is a dick!". Well, I suppose it's something. Thank you so much, it definitely does help. :3
                Well, those were some example, how will they work or not is up to your own tastes and style. And to be completely honest, CSI and Law & Order always bored me to tears.
                (The Shield and Dexter i like much better because things are rarely as neat to wrap up - to say the least - and the characters trying to be ruthless or tough is prone to backfiring badly, sometimes in weird ways, nearly half the time on them)

Anyway, police films or series are many, look out for them, some "real-life cop shows" or even some documentaries here & there and mine what inspires or appeals to you.

Ah, possibly questionable as examples for cop series, but also try out True Detective and the Lost Room if you can find them. Great, awesomely insane and heavy stuff.
                Last edited by Baaldam; 07-21-2019, 07:56 PM.

Comment

SaulottheGentle

If you are not accustomed to playing a bold, assertive character it can be difficult to shift gears.

I used to mostly play problem-solving, highly-skilled, well-connected characters who were a bit eccentric. Picture a cross between Lwaxana Troi, and a D&D bard. In a MtA chronicle, the ST explained it was going to be more street-level and action-oriented, so I needed to stretch my acting skills to portray a bolder character. I created an Orphan who used action-movie tropes for his magic. It was challenging at first, but it turned out to be a hoot! I now enjoy playing bolder characters for the freedom and histrionics they allow.

Here are a few tips I like to call "Be Bold! How to play a sassy asshole for fun and profit!":
                  • MOST IMPORTANT TIP: At the beginning and end of every session, remind your ST and fellow players you are intentionally playing a character who is meant to be super-bold. You are new to this, and if it strays into disrupting the game they should let you know. (I suggest saying this while passing out the cupcakes you brought to share with everyone.) If they do complain, dial it back a little back, but don't abandon the bold completely. You'll find the right amount of bold after a few sessions.
                  • Rule Number One: your PC is Number One. No one else matters. The only exceptions are people you help (whether they need it or not) to make yourself look good, people who can help you achieve your goals, and people who are trying to stop you from achieving your goals. Everyone else is as irrelevant as, well... I don't know. As soon as I think of an example, it becomes too relevant to use as an example.
                  • Likewise, rules only exist to allow you to more accurately predict other's behavior. You might follow rules if it makes life easier, but otherwise, your goals are more important than any silly rule.
                  • Speaking of goals, bold characters tend to have clear short-term goals to which they are very, very devoted. Set a goal, even a small one, and then absolutely refuse to change course until it is achieved. If that involves seemingly reckless behavior along the way, so be it, at least you will have achieved your goal. You don't just "need to go to the store". You "absolutely must get to the store now, or all your plans to make the perfect Christmas will be ruined!" This need not mean being evil, per se, just intensely goal-oriented.
                  • Bold characters tend to have one or two big, motivating long-term goals. Choose a piece of the backstory, and use it to inform every other action you take. For this character, you might choose "avenge the cops who died that night!" Write this long-term goal on your character sheet in big red letters. Every decision you make must in some way serve this goal, or at least not hinder it. EVER.
                  • Bold characters tend to be less good at mid-term goals. Set short-term goals that broadly serve your long-term goal, and just ignore the boring in-between stuff. Don't let yourself get bogged down in details or analysis of possible implications. You can't know what all the implications are of your actions, anyway. Deal with them when they come up, better still, ignore them or let others handle them. That is, of course, why other people exist.
                  • Think concretely. The world is a physical place, and physical problems have physical solutions. Ideas, theories, and values only matter insofar as they are entertaining to timid people. That is, of course, unless an ideal is part of your long-term goal. Then it matters more than anything. Anything!
                  • Use your character's name a lot, and describe his actions with action verbs. It's not "I am going inside", it's "Jack McAwesome struts inside." Your fellow players may not like what action Jack takes, but they will be entertained.
                  • At least once per scene say something that requires an exclamation mark! It doesn't matter what! It's good practice for when holding your tongue isn't useful! Which is only always!
                  • In every scene, take the first action, even if it is just moving a few feet to the left while refusing to explain why. This immediately makes you the center of attention. This is, of course, as it should be.
                  • There is no "bold" in "team". If you have... umm, what's the word? Assistants? Side-kicks? Whatever... they are there to either help you prepare to reach your goals, or clean-up after you make progress toward your goals. (Failure is an imponderable paradox in your world, there are only degrees of success.)
                  • Important piece of advice: if an enemy is seeking something, they obviously need it. Destroying that asset should be your go-to strategy. Have the Baali abducted a small child to conduct a ritual. Kill the kid, prevent the ritual. They were probably going to kill the kid, anyway.
                  • In the WoD, fire solves nearly any problem, no matter how big or small. (Really, it's kind of weird how universally effective it is. Does Rein-Hagen have a phobia?) In any case, if it offends you set it on fire. Hell, if it annoys you set it on fire. Sometimes, just set things on fire and see what happens. Extra points for fiery explosions.
                  I hope this helps and, don't forget to be awesome!
                  Last edited by Nosimplehiway; 07-22-2019, 10:07 AM.

Comment

Hi guys, it's been a long time since I posted in general, and I hope it's fine if I ask for some help on refining a Character I have.

What I wanted was an attempt at playing a more forceful, assertive character. But I'm more inclined to play more humane and good, and perhaps enjoying some affection with the same sex which leads to the issue that I'm playing to similarly to how I've played with this ST for ages and it bores him. So I'm hoping to ask for some help on how I should play him or whatnot, like using his expertise as a cop?
                    Ok, my main suggestion is to look at everything in a cynical sense - this person wants to sleep with me, they must be trying to manipulate me; I'll let them try and use it against them. I've mostly killed the idea of a sexual preference with most characters; if they're in your feeding preference, and you need to sleep with them or seduce them for that, then they're a valid "Preference"

Getting to explore Paths instead of humanity sounds like it will give you a different way to play compared to normal, have your character seek out mentors in the Sabbat and have the ST provide their perspectives on the Paths for you (If they game has started) or ask for it narratively for backstory on how that path was chosen (in character creation)

The Shield is good. They tend to want to do right (in general) but they are selfish and often do bad things to get to their goal. That's the taint of Vampires wanting to be good.

Spencer from The Hills - The Sire has reasons for the embrace, the PC doesn't need to know. Maybe it's for a plot that will unfold over a decade, but this pawn needs to be in place.

Nosimplehiway is full of great ideas as usual, but I'll disagree with one, that's when it comes to Fire. It is the Snake Oil of solving problems, but it can also have the side effect of making you run from your problems - that's why you get lackeys to use the fire for you, foolish pack mates or ghouls.

Comment

One further note related to Paths. Since this is a newly embraced Sabbat, they will begin on Humanity. Then, perhaps, find themselves following a Path later.

Joining a Path takes a long time and a lot of commitment, and it doesn't happen for every Sabbat in their first few decades. So, you may not even need to think about it.

If your ST wants to explore Paths, remember that in-world vampires don't exactly pick their Path. It's not like deciding which university to attend.

Usually, a Path mentor (often, but not always, a sire, clanmate, or pack leader) will present themselves to a younger vampire who seems to be dropping in Humanity. It helps if the sins that are lowering Humanity matches those encouraged by the Path. If your Humanity drops because you perform evil deeds at the direction of your leaders, Honorable Accord seems a good fit. If your Humanity drops because you are throwing yourself into being a barbaric, animalistic vampire, Beast may be offered.

I would suggest not thinking about Path just yet. As your Humanity drops, keep a list of every Humanity check you make and note of which Paths would have admired that enough to tutor you.

If you had a specific Path in mind you wanted the fledgling to join, I would say purchase Mentor at chagen, defined as someone who intends to teach you a Path. This way you have points invested in it, and the ST is more likely to encourage a successful initiation... with appropriate drama, of course.

Which reminds me of an old trick for playing shovelheads. Purchase Mentor, representing your pack as a group liking you and wanting to teach you, and Status 1, representing either that you are already considered True Sabbat due to the events of your embrace, or that your packmates actively want you to succeed. This combo will raise your survival odds considerably.

Being a vampire in the Sabbat who is not True Sabbat sucks. I mean like "they are allowed to destroy you just for chuckles" sucks.

Comment

Working...
                      X