[V5] Players Handbook - What do you want to see

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [V5] Players Handbook - What do you want to see

So given that Mophidius/Onyx Path are likely to be hard at work creating this book I would be interested in hearing what people want to see out of this book. I would like to focus this more on mechanical and role playing tools rather than fluff (metaplot, history etc. etc.) as this is likely to be the primary tool for helping new players to create characters.

A few things I would like to see;

* A layout that makes sense and flows easily for character creation.
    * More emphasis on making the pdf readable and usable (I don't have room for physical books and I am happy to pay for pdfs but the double page spread [on the Camarilla and Anarch book] and unwillingness to create good bookmarks is really frustrating)
    * An optional system to replace predator types with a flat exp amount or some other system that doesn't cause exp discrepancies (gaining a 3rd dot of a power is much more efficient than gaining your first dot of a clan discipline for example).
    * A summary sheet that isn't the only black sheet in the book so it can be more easily printed out (Yes you can invert it but as a pair of pages they give a great summary I don't understand why they would make it harder to share this information)
    * A better explanation for how Shapechange and Metamorphosis work (how do your skills and mental stats work with animal granted stats and skills etc.)
    * A better variety of animals that you can turn into (we don't have an official boa form for ministry vampires for example) possibly with standard statlines instead of NPC stat lines to make it easier to use with the above powers (For example using Metamorphosis to turn into a bear makes you more stealthy than if you turned into a wolf [7 dice of physical vs 5 skill])
    * An examination of the exp system and a discussion of alternative systems.
    * This is more a ST tool but I would love a discussion on making interesting neighbourhoods and the advantages and disadvantages of making your haven in different locations etc.
    Last edited by Farast; 07-23-2019, 01:59 AM. Reason: Updated to include Mophidius.

* Tzimisce
    * Normal Sabbat Info
    * EVILL MYSTERIOUS NEW SABBAT info

Author of Cthulhu Armageddon, I was a Teenage Weredeer, Straight Outta Fangton, Lucifer's Star, and the Supervillainy Saga.

Comment

Originally posted by Farast View Post
      So given that Onyx Path are likely to be hard at work creating this book
      ...unless I missed something, they are not. Mophidius are the ones developing this book, not OPP.

Comment

Originally posted by tasti man LH View Post

...unless I missed something, they are not. Mophidius are the ones developing this book, not OPP.
        They are.

Though it's possible, even probable, there will be some Onyx Path writers as the two companies don't mind sharing.

Author of Cthulhu Armageddon, I was a Teenage Weredeer, Straight Outta Fangton, Lucifer's Star, and the Supervillainy Saga.

Comment

Originally posted by tasti man LH View Post

Oops. This has been edited. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by CTPhipps View Post
            * Tzimisce
            * Normal Sabbat Info
            I want to see Tzimisce that are less of a one-note freak show. There are a lot of ways to go with the clan, but too often they are all too similar - you've met one T, you've met them all.

And I hope to see some useful info on the Sabbat and the SI.

And rules for creating powers, so I can more easily house-rule the old bloodlines.

Comment

Originally posted by Grumpy RPG Reviews View Post

I want to see Tzimisce that are less of a one-note freak show. There are a lot of ways to go with the clan, but too often they are all too similar - you've met one T, you've met them all.

And rules for creating powers, so I can more easily house-rule the old bloodlines.
              I'm hoping that they give the Tzimice a small retool as well.

"A large number of Tzimisce have undergone a cleansing ritual provided by Dracula that renounces Kupala, the Eldest, and others. This has reconciled the Old Clan and the new with these Tzimsice being somewhat less insane as well as sadistic than before. These Tzimisce now call Viccisitude (or their version of it) Protean like the Gangrel."

Comment

Well, I hope for an optional rule to decouple Touchstones/Convictions (going a little further than "don't have them"). Several houserules about that were proposed in these forums, but I feel a canon optional rule on those same lines would be far easier to bargain with an ST.

Also, IF the intention it's to use Disciplines as something more akin to Mage Spheres (as was suggested by some), where combinations of the basic Disciplines allow experienced vampires to "build" different powers, it would be neat to have some real guidelines (perhaps even rules?) about creating combined discipline powers. This is important if players are supposed to play with this idea. STs can reign trough pure fiat, but players could use some guides

Rules (optional or not) that give Elders part of their old power back. For instance, some have proposed here that Elders could have more than 5 Discipline powers (more than one power per level). That's very nice, but it's not RAW. Something RAW on these lines would be interesting.
                Perhaps Elders would be more appropiate for an ST book, but I think Elder rules (much like rules to generate Disciplines) are going to be more useful for players that want to engage in that power level than to STs that can always fiat arround stuff. So, idk, I can see it either way.

Comment

Originally posted by Farast View Post
                  So given that Mophidius/Onyx Path are likely to be hard at work creating this book I would be interested in hearing what people want to see out of this book. I would like to focus this more on mechanical and role playing tools rather than fluff (metaplot, history etc. etc.) as this is likely to be the primary tool for helping new players to create characters.
                  The book is being written and developed by Modiphius, not OPP. Dawkins is working on it as a freelancer, though I don't know if any other usual OPP freelancers are working on it. The book is also probably pretty close to being done, as they're expecting Advance PDFs in December according to Modiphius' email.

They have stated (or clarified in the case of some people's speculation) that the book is a companion, with rules that can be used in conjunction with and in place of rules in the core book, but it's not a replacement core book.

* Tzimisce
                  * Normal Sabbat Info
                  We've already been told all 13 clans including Tzimisce.

We've also been told by one of the Modiphius writers that the Sabbat info will maintain the 'shrouded in mystery' angle, and that Sabbat written-as-PC-options will be relegated to an eventual Sabbat book. The 13 clans in the book will be written in the way they fit into the currently-playable sects.

They did a couple of impromptu AMAs on the WoD5 Discord where we got this info.

They've said we'll get a 'state of the Sabbat' bit, but further clarified it'll be in the same vein of 'dark and mysterious and non-playable' as the core book, that the Tzimisce will be in the book and their powers will be 're-imagined' to fit the V5 style.

They stated in the AMA there would be no alternate morality rules in the book.

When I'm home and can copy/paste from Discord I can dump those quotes in here.

Comment

Thank you. That would be most helpful.

Comment

So here are the things we got from the impromptu AMA. Note that this is just the compiled answers.

We had a few impromptu AMA's on the server a while ago, and both Matthew Dawkins and Khaldoun Khelil answered some questions regarding the upcoming V5 books. Here's a tl;dr of what we learned!

From Matthew Dawkins:

The PG will have Amalgams and alternate powers for Disciplines. Apparently 'Warlocks of all stripes will have some new toys to play with' but without context (hopefully more Rituals and BS powers).

The Hecata section will talk about the Giovanni as they are linked to the Hecata; the Hecata section will not talk about the non-Hecata Giovanni. The non-Hecata Giovanni will be more covered in Cults of the Blood Gods.

Ravnos and Tzimisce will be in the PG.

There will be info about the current state of the Sabbat in the Player's Guide.

It will not do mechanical rollbacks.

Per Jason Carl on Twitch during the last LAbN it'll have new Merits, Flaws and Backgrounds as well as Discipline powers.

From Khaldoun Khelil:

The PG will be a supplement to the core rulebook - there will be material that can be used instead of the material in the corebook, but it's not intended to replace the corebook.

All 13 Clans will be represented in the PG. Cults of the Blood Gods handles how bloodlines will be represented (Matthew Dawkins and his team found an elegant solution to them) and the content in the PG will follow this example.

Both the Ravnos and the Tzimisce and their iconic abilites will be in the PG and they will be re-imagined to some degree to fit the V5 playstyle. Especially the Ravnos' core identity will be less racial/cultural and their powers will have a different source and methodology.

Tha PG will include a lot of new Merits and powers.

The PG will continue on the design decision to shroud the Sabbat in mystery and misinformation and will focus on the currently playable Sects and how the 13 Clans fit into them.

There will be no alternative morality systems in the PG; V5 focuses on younger Kindred more unaware of Clan/Sect traditions and the V5 Humanity system is very modular as is and can be modified to fit very different moral codes that can approximate some paths.

Comment

How do the elder arrange to establish themselves in an already elder territory as the Ashirra is.

There are countless facts from this sect within Veil of Night, Iberia by Night, Dark Ages Europe, and most ignored/rewritten by V20 Dark Ages Vampire. Why create a (pop gullible sect as the "drowed legacies" when they were never mentioned before in any 1st ed/2nd ed/revised before, but applied in V20 (which has been to be CANON AGNOSTIC)? Kalku "Tremere" Prince taking over Buenos Aires seems like lazy writing to me, when Clanbook Toreador's Prince Alexandra and VtES card making her in the Inner Circle of the Camarilla is just ignoring the facts.

- Saga

Comment

Originally posted by Saga View Post
                          How do the elder arrange to establish themselves in an already elder territory as the Ashirra is.

There are countless facts from this sect within Veil of Night, Iberia by Night, Dark Ages Europe, and most ignored/rewritten by V20 Dark Ages Vampire. Why create a (pop gullible sect as the "drowed legacies" when they were never mentioned before in any 1st ed/2nd ed/revised before, but applied in V20 (which has been to be CANON AGNOSTIC)? Kalku "Tremere" Prince taking over Buenos Aires seems like lazy writing to me, when Clanbook Toreador's Prince Alexandra and VtES card making her in the Inner Circle of the Camarilla is just ignoring the facts.

- Saga
                          Is it possible she was Beckoned?

Comment

Originally posted by elmerg View Post
                            Ravnos and Tzimisce will be in the PG.
                            The PG (...) will focus on the currently playable Sects and how the 13 Clans fit into them.
                            This is actually quite interesting. And if "half the Tzimisce" takes the Anarchs' side, as per the Lasombra with the Camarilla, it adds a new rivalry between two clans who have been allies and the bastions of the Sabbat for almost a millenium. Also, I can see the Ravnos spliting between the two Sects under "normal circumstances, but they probably can't afford a split right now.

Cults of the Blood Gods handles how bloodlines will be represented (Matthew Dawkins and his team found an elegant solution to them)
                            I liked the term "elegant solution" concerning the bloodlines. Let's see how it plays out.

There will be no alternative morality systems in the PG; (...) the V5 Humanity system is very modular as is and can be modified to fit very different moral codes that can approximate some paths.
                            Perhaps a hint that even a "Full Path System" will use the Convictions systems?

Comment

I'm hoping that they give the Tzimice a small retool as well.

"A large number of Tzimisce have undergone a cleansing ritual provided by Dracula that renounces Kupala, the Eldest, and others. This has reconciled the Old Clan and the new with these Tzimsice being somewhat less insane as well as sadistic than before. These Tzimisce now call Viccisitude (or their version of it) Protean like the Gangrel."
                              Reintroduction of Byzantine era worship of Gesu and the Dracon would be a good development for more cerebral Tzimisce

Comment

Working...
                              X