The Chicago by Night 5E discussion thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kammerer View Post
    So, I've got a question about The Sacrifice.

Am I missing something, or are the difficulty numbers in this adventure completely insane? The adventure routinely throws difficulty 5 checks at you, even for such minor things as "catch Jackson's attention to get paid". Sometimes plot progression is gated behind difficulty 4 and 5 checks, like with finding Malenkov.

How are people supposed to beat this? The maximum possible dicepool for a chargen PC is 9 (Attribute 4 + Skill 4 + Specialty), but a much more likely dicepool for a PC specializing in a task is 6 (Attribute 3 + Skill 3), since I doubt there are a lot of PCs with Intelligence 4 + Streetwise (nightclubs) 4.

And with 6 dice versus the swarm of difficulty 5 checks it seems like PCs will be failing everything left and right, every scene. Is this supposed to be an elder level adventure where everyone throws 10 die dicepools?
    Spend a willpower point and you can reroll three failed dice.

Also, only one PC would have to succeed and it requires only a success or couple of successes for these.

Author of Cthulhu Armageddon, I was a Teenage Weredeer, Straight Outta Fangton, Lucifer's Star, and the Supervillainy Saga.

Comment

Originally posted by CTPhipps View Post

Spend a willpower point and you can reroll three failed dice.

Also, only one PC would have to succeed and it requires only a success or couple of successes for these.

Yep, I do like my players burning through Willpower. It's an expendable resource.

Matthew Dawkins
      In-House Developer for Onyx Path Publishing

Patreon: http://https://www.patreon.com/matthewdawkins

Comment

1. Favorite Piece of Art

The portraits of Damien and Annabelle.

2. Favorite NPC update

The Prince Kevin Jackson

3. Favorite New NPC

Naomi Stewart

4. Favorite Loresheet

Revenant family: Duchesky

5. What did you think of the Lasombra section (Oblivion Included)?

Regular. In general I like its adaptation to the new system, but I don't like its forced inclusion in the Camarilla with the sacrificial requirements.

6. What did you think of "The Sacrifice"?

I think Vampire needs more flexible and less linear adventures. However, "The Sacrifice" offers many opportunities for the decisiones of the player characters. It would also have included a longer an deeper negotiation. It's about the inclusion of an entire clan and it's less spectacular than the inclusion of the Banu Haqim, for example.

7. Will you be using Chicago By Night?

Yeah.
        Last edited by Magus; 08-10-2019, 07:11 PM.

Comment

On a random aside, I felt that Ballard and Brett Stryker were an interesting pair of characters that were successfully expanded on in a way that made them more sympathetic and less one-dimensional while simultaneously keeping them as people capable of committing horrific crimes.

I mean, Brett is not questioning what Helena does with his Embracees and I don't think they ever return. Ballard is actually kind of sympathetic not that he's a no longer a millionaire (or he's a millionaire but no longer a billionaire).

I kind of think Son needed a better reason not to have hit wassail, though. If Paths of Enlightenment no longer exist (or are just Loresheets) then maybe the idea he's close to hitting the Beast's final stage should have been explained or hinted at. I think it was established Alex is actually closer than him to it.

I like the horrific twist with Bobby Weatherbottom who was, until this book, a vampire with the "True Love" merit and now he's just become his girlfriend's jailer and daily abuser. He could give her back some quality of life by having her Embraced as a Thin Blood but he'd be damning her (despite her current state being every bit as bad) and it being inevitable he's going to lose her anyway.

I like the race-lift to Kathy Glens as there's no reason that a Indiana American girl can't be an enormous hard rock fan. I'm now imagining that she's using her Toreador influence to be the person behind Blinded by the Light. Maybe Kevin Jackson forced her to change some details about the country, genders, religions, and ethnicities involved.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blinde...ght_(2019_film)

Author of Cthulhu Armageddon, I was a Teenage Weredeer, Straight Outta Fangton, Lucifer's Star, and the Supervillainy Saga.

Comment

Re:NPCs
            My personal opinion is that Chicago by Night feels like an odd rebellion against V5. We are back to the days of omnipresent elders and elder intrigues. Ballard's still up on his economic throne, Lodin is still kicking, two methuselah are running around.

So I'm probably not going to use most of CbN for V5 games. Everyone over a hundred years old and most everyone with a single digit in the generation gets the hatchet. They are now torporic elders who have finally been succeeded by their childer and whose rise everyone dreads or prays for. Horatio Ballard has been succeeded by his accountant. Capone by his lieutenant. Apprentices are squabbling over who gets to be the Regent (it is you, the PC Tremere!) Helena has degenerated into a thin-blood and the last vestiges of her temporal power go into keeping this fact a secret.

The time of the old blood has passed. The night now belongs to the likes of Michalis, Kevin Jackson, Eddie and Celia.

Comment

Originally posted by Kammerer View Post
              Re:NPCs
              My personal opinion is that Chicago by Night feels like an odd rebellion against V5. We are back to the days of omnipresent elders and elder intrigues. Ballard's still up on his economic throne, Lodin is still kicking, two methuselah are running around.
              I actually think the power players are all Ancilla with a few exceptions. Kevin Jackson is the Prince despite being, what 50 years old?

Also, isn't Ballard bankrupt?

Elders exist in the world but they're people that can be killed or outmaneuvered. The vast majority of Elders have been ditched so it's a much smaller percentage of them.

Comment

I've made a TV tropes page for Chicago by Night. It's limited in some places but I even started a character sheet. I thought some people here might like it. https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.p...ChicagoByNight

Comment

Caught one mistake.

Datura is referred to as a man in Lodin's entry when Eletria and she were lesbian lovers.

I think Datura was also the Prince of Vera Cruz, not Eletria.

But really, this is an amazingly well-edited book.
                  Last edited by CTPhipps; 08-13-2019, 08:50 AM.

Comment

Have you already put it into the google form?

Comment

Originally posted by Cifer View Post
                      Have you already put it into the google form?
                      He has indeed.

Matthew Dawkins
                      In-House Developer for Onyx Path Publishing

Patreon: http://https://www.patreon.com/matthewdawkins

Comment

Working...
                      X