Friendly Neighborhood Bloodsucker

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Friendly Neighborhood Bloodsucker

So I've been doing a different kind of chronicle where an NPC and only the one NPC is a vampire. All others are mortals and the PCs are mortals as well. The vampire is related to this family—the PCs as well—and the main point of the story is that a long standing family curse has plagued everyone in the bloodline, including the vampire pre-embrace, but is now growing stronger and threatens them all. The PCs eventually find out that one of their relatives is a vampire, thus confirming the existence of the supernatural and convincing them that the family curse is real as well, blah blah blah, killing curse, a spirit or some such entity that operates basically like Death from Final Destination, etc. It's now up to the PCs to figure a way out of ending the curse, but none of that is the actual point with this thread.

What I'm thinking about are the implications in effectively nullifying Kindred society as a whole. It goes without saying that this chronicle isn't really V:tM, just using some elements from it to construct an original world and for the story I needed to tell, I didn't need any Kindred society involvement. Certainly didn't need any Necromantic or spirit focused types popping up that could basically end or soften the threat — that responsibility belongs to the PCs as they dig up knowledge, consult family, make a breakthrough with some NPCs, and potentially sacrifice one of themselves to stop it. Several possibilities that they will explore when the next session starts.

So the real point here is about the things that plague Kindred in vanilla V:tM, particularly what drives them to behave like monsters. Between blood hunger, the Beast, Kindred society, other supernaturals, power, temptations, the years wearing down their morality and more, there are many factors that can result in a person's humanity to slip. My main question though is: If you were to remove one and only one aspect from the equation, which one would it be and how big an impact would it have on individual vampires? Would removing a single element result in a much more peaceful "race" or are there too many adversarial facets to a leech's existence that it's ultimately hopeless?

What say you?

the embrace

I wouldn't remove the embrace completely, but I'd make it harder or more restricted (e.g, the subject of embrace must be a virgin or something like that)

in vtm, the easy embrace, and vampire overpopulation are an important factor in vampires being destructive, and thus the necessity of having vampires societies (sects) to regulate it

there's a tradition that dictates that the eldest (or, in the case of the camarilla, the Prince) must give permission for embrace on top of clan specific traditions when selecting embraces worthy of the clan's name

more liberal sects like the sabbat naturally end up being more destructive due to less restrictions on the embrace, and the resulting competition,
    but even such a sect has some form of regulation,
    sabbat are supposedly not allowed to sire thinbloods, and the fledglings must undergo a creation rite to be admitted in the sect,
    they also have structured diableries (through monomacy, and some clan specific stuff like the lasombra blood courts) to regulate the overpopulation

so, making the embrace harder would certainly help in toning down the chaos and lessen the necessity of a vampiric society
    Last edited by Pleiades; 07-27-2019, 07:47 AM.

-

Comment

Originally posted by Pleiades View Post
      the embrace

I wouldn't remove the embrace completely, but I'd make it harder or more restricted (e.g, the subject of embrace must be a virgin or something like that)

in vtm, the easy embrace, and vampire overpopulation are an important factor in vampires being destructive, and thus the necessity of having vampires societies (sects) to regulate it

there's a tradition that dictates that the eldest (or, in the case of the camarilla, the Prince) must give permission for embrace on top of clan specific traditions when selecting embraces worthy of the clan's name

more liberal sects like the sabbat naturally end up being more destructive due to less restrictions on the embrace, and the resulting competition,
      but even such a sect has some form of regulation,
      sabbat are supposedly not allowed to sire thinbloods, and the fledglings must undergo a creation rite to be admitted in the sect,
      they also have structured diableries (through monomacy, and some clan specific stuff like the lasombra blood courts) to regulate the overpopulation

so, making the embrace harder would certainly help in toning down the chaos and lessen the necessity of a vampiric society
      Kindred society is certainly the biggest reason a vampire will drop humanity and become a monster, though far from the only one, but we're in agreement mostly. I've always been more drawn to the stories with more difficult siring processes. Needing several bites, feeding Vitae over great lengths of time, perhaps some other ritualistic procedures. Then the final act of drinking blood yourself to complete the change. Makes it a trying, meticulous process that you don't just do on a whim.

Comment

Friendly vampires? Easy.

Remove the Beast. No more humanity to stave it off and no more frenzying. Kindred don't have to spend the rest of their unlives structuring around it. Pretty much every Evil thing vamps do can be traced back to the fact that they have a Beast just waiting to Murder Death Kill everything. Mechanically, it's one failed roll that can ruin your life. Still get hungry, but no chance of loosing your crap and eating a whole family. A Cainite would be no more inherently bad than your avaerge human.

Comment

The Beast. I know it's one of the most important part if the game, but I tend to hate everything that removes agency from the player. It's also kind of a contradiction for a vampire game : i know the point of the game is to keep your own humanity and all that, but still, it's a game about vampire, you'd think you could play the bad guy once in a while, go full dracula or use your powers to go rob banks or something, but doing that will tank your humanity and make you frenzy and rotshreck all the time, even making you lose all control eventually.
          Also, I think being close to your humanity and generally not being a dick would have more impact if it wasn't forced and expected of you because of the beast. It's like the difference between waiters who are nice to you because they want a tip, and waiters who are nice to you because they're just good people, if that makes sense?

So yeah, basically, the Beast takes away control from the player's hand and force you to behave in a certain way to not lose more control, and I don't like that.

Comment

Working...
          X