Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cult of the Blood Gods official announcement

http://theonyxpath.com/onyx-path-pub...e-5th-edition/

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE August 1, 2019 — Rich Thomas, founder and Creative Director of Onyx Path Publishing, announced the company’s next supplement for the newly-launched Vampire: The Masquerade 5th Edition corebook will be Cults of the Blood Gods.

“I’m tremendously excited to be developing Cults of the Blood Gods for V5! We’ll be seeing all kinds of faiths and factions, from the Church of Set to the Hecata, the Bahari to the Church of Caine, the Mithraic Mysteries to the Cult of Shalim, and more besides,” said Matthew Dawkins, the World of Darkness developer for Onyx Path Publishing. “Being able to provide rules for this edition’s Clan of Death is quite the privilege, and we’ll be looking to impress people with how they’re presented. I’ve got an excellent, diverse team with a range of experience on this book, and we’re all going to work hard to make it stand out.”

Cults of the Blood Gods is a new style of sourcebook for Vampire: The Masquerade 5th Edition that introduces the pernicious horror of twisted beliefs.Designed for players and Storytellers, this supplement will include:
    • Scary, esoteric vampiric cults used in modern nights that include churches, heresies, and warring dogmas.
    • Kindred cults and faiths built around methuselah worship, including holy rites, in-character texts, and religious tracts.
    • Setting, advice, and rules to play the Hecata, the Clan of Death.
    The manuscript for Cults of the Blood Gods is currently being written and developed using the new Vampire: The Masquerade Fifth Edition rules. A Kickstarter is planned for a prestige edition of this supplement and is expected to launch sometime in 2019. Standard digital and print editions will be released following fulfillment of the Kickstarter.

Author of Cthulhu Armageddon, I was a Teenage Weredeer, Straight Outta Fangton, Lucifer's Star, and the Supervillainy Saga.

Some initial thoughts on my part:

1. I'm a huge fan of the intellectual and spiritual side of the Sabbat but I always felt that it was too restricted to a group of psychotic blood cultists. The Sabbat are a terrorist group, effectively, so that if you wanted to play a High Humanity (or even moderate Humanity) Caine worshiping Noddist then you were just shit out of luck. I'm looking forward to seeing how the Church of Caine operates when divorced from the Sabbat's extremism as its own separate sect.

(I'm sure a cult to a literal Blood God of Murder won't be nice but I am expecting a bit more nuance)

2. I was intrigued by the Ancestor Cults that Matthew Dawkins wrote about in the Camarilla sourcebook and the Mithras sect will be an interesting insight into these. I was also intrigued by the Menele cult that was referenecd there as well. I wonder if that will be discussed in this book as well. I'd really like stats for Lord Camden, even though the PCs are unlikely to hunt him down as long as he continues his Gentleman's Guides.

3. I'm not really that interested in the Bahari but I think part of that is due to the fact the Path of Lilith was introduced among the Tal'Mah'Ra, who seem like the least interested in pursuing that group of Caine-worshippers you'll find. So, I'm willing to be sold on them.

4. Will this contain the revised information on Paths of Enlightenment? Perhaps as Loresheets for Humanity? (If you act within the Tenants of the Path of Caine, you can ignore the degeneration for Diablerie etcetera?). I'm really curious about that.

5. The Cult of Shalim was an interesting new sect introduced in Chicago by Night and seems to be the official name for Abyssal worship among the Lasombra. I'm wondering if Moncada was actually worshiping Lasombra (my assumption for "Shalim" and his true identity) rather than the Christian God or whether he'd even see a difference.

6. Obviously, a book detailing the Giovanni, Harbingers, and Samedi's update will be most appreciated.

7. This is purely greed on my part but I am VERY excited about what possible Kickstarter rewards we'll be getting for this one. Abberant and Chicago by Night gave us some spectacularly good ones and I'll be counting down the days until we find out what is likely to be on the group. My biggest hope? More supplements! Blood God Chronicles would be most appreciated.

Whether that includes NPCs or fate of characters is anyone's guess.

Just any excuse for more Onyx Path V5 material is something I support.

8. Will Anatole make an appearance? Isabel Giovanni? These are characters I'd love to see stated for V5. Also Loresheets. Especially as I play a Malkavian descended from the former.

9. Will we find out why the Ministry is rebranded? Was it conflict with the Church of Set? Is "corruption" still their aim or is that more the province of the fanatical Typhonists? How many Typhonists vs. polytheists are there?
    Last edited by CTPhipps; 08-07-2019, 05:09 PM.

Author of Cthulhu Armageddon, I was a Teenage Weredeer, Straight Outta Fangton, Lucifer's Star, and the Supervillainy Saga.

Comment

Doing the Paths as Loresheets makes an interesting complication - you can't take more than one, so if you have a path lore-sheet, you can't have a clan, sabbat wide, or location based one.
      Probably feature more than bug, but interesting

Comment

I often hear this and have scanned the book several times but can not find it, Where does it say you can only have 1 Loresheet. It does say "Each player may choose a Loresheet and select dots in it just like any other Advantage." and maybe people were taking this to say you could only ever select "A", in other words, 1, loresheet rather than just saying select one and take dots in it like any other thing doing this each time you purchase a loresheet.

Comment

By some definitions the Antediluvian's are blood gods themselves. I wonder how much of the book will be devoted to them and their cults, as compared to cults of Lilith or Angra Mainyu and so forth.

Comment

They mention elder worship and the Mithras Mysteries specifically, I assume that you could apply the same philosophies to the Antediluvians as well. I also hope they go more in-depth into this.

Comment

I was hoping to see the return of Ashen Priests but since there is no immediate plan by Modiphius for Roads or It may be a long time coming if they appear at all. Disappointment.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Wilson View Post
                I was hoping to see the return of Ashen Priests but since there is no immediate plan by Modiphius for Roads or It may be a long time coming if they appear at all. Disappointment.
                The Grail Covenant books are now available on Kindle.

Comment

Originally posted by Redwulfe View Post
                  I often hear this and have scanned the book several times but can not find it, Where does it say you can only have 1 Loresheet. It does say "Each player may choose a Loresheet and select dots in it just like any other Advantage." and maybe people were taking this to say you could only ever select "A", in other words, 1, loresheet rather than just saying select one and take dots in it like any other thing doing this each time you purchase a loresheet.
                  Word of Dev, in a Facebook discussion.

However, a lot of people use the modified rule "only one at chargen, can get others later". In my experience it doesn't break anything, just watch out for weird interactions. (And know that it's a house rule, not RAI.)

Comment

I think that's more a guideline than a rule.

Comment

@CTPhipps

Thanks. Went and bought a copy from Amazon. I was expecting something more expensive but it seemed to be at a good price point.

Comment

Originally posted by Redwulfe View Post

To clarify, the book says 'a Loresheet' which indicates one. But because a million people asked the question, we asked Karim, and his answer was posted above.

Comment

Working...
                        X