[V5]Thoughts on Vienna

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [V5]Thoughts on Vienna

So the Second Inquisition basically nuked the Tremere Vienna Chantry. A group of mortals (yes, a small army with advanced technology, but still...) took down a heavily fortified location housing some of the most learned and mystically potent members of an already learned and mystically potent Clan.

...anyone remember Alec Baldwin's "The Shadow" from '94? That scene where the villain's powers are neutralized and everyone suddenly sees/remembers the giant hotel he was using as a base? Would anyone be shocked if a similar scene played out in Vienna two or three supplements from now?

Originally posted by shkspr1048 View Post
    So the Second Inquisition basically nuked the Tremere Vienna Chantry. A group of mortals (yes, a small army with advanced technology, but still...) took down a heavily fortified location housing some of the most learned and mystically potent members of an already learned and mystically potent Clan.
    Generally, the consensus is that Tremere-Lot or Karl Schrekt may have helped the Fall of Vienna.

There's also the World of Darkness theory that the Second Inquisition's improbable success is due to the Technocracy finally taking the war to the vampires with government agencies being a cover for the Men in Black, Victors, Hit Marks, and other people as "Special Forces."

Because you don't need laser guns when a flamethrower and incinderary ammunition works just as fine.

...anyone remember Alec Baldwin's "The Shadow" from '94? That scene where the villain's powers are neutralized and everyone suddenly sees/remembers the giant hotel he was using as a base? Would anyone be shocked if a similar scene played out in Vienna two or three supplements from now?
    Something similar happened in LAIR OF THE HIDDEN.

Author of Cthulhu Armageddon, I was a Teenage Weredeer, Straight Outta Fangton, Lucifer's Star, and the Supervillainy Saga.

Comment

Powers aside, I'm shocked that the Austrian government and the rest of the EU are apparently a-ok with the US airbombing a historical building in the capital of Austria. That is by far the most improbable part of the whole thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Kammerer View Post
        Powers aside, I'm shocked that the Austrian government and the rest of the EU are apparently a-ok with the US airbombing a historical building in the capital of Austria. That is by far the most improbable part of the whole thing.
        ISIS is stated to have been blamed for the incident.

Also, a couple of points:

1. It wasn't the USA, the Second Inquisition includes the EU
        2. Presumably the Austrian government might know that vampires are among them.

Also, depending on the time of day, the chantry (which exists in a Horizon Realm despite vampires), it might not be in the capital.
        Last edited by CTPhipps; 08-09-2019, 02:28 AM.

Author of Cthulhu Armageddon, I was a Teenage Weredeer, Straight Outta Fangton, Lucifer's Star, and the Supervillainy Saga.

Comment

Originally posted by CTPhipps View Post

Generally, the consensus is that Tremere-Lot or Karl Schrekt may have helped the Fall of Vienna.
          I don't know that that's general consensus. I've not heard any theories about Schrekt being behind it, but maybe I'm not looking in the right places.

Matthew Dawkins
          In-House Developer for Onyx Path Publishing

Patreon: http://https://www.patreon.com/matthewdawkins

Comment

Originally posted by The Gentleman Gamer View Post

I don't know that that's general consensus. I've not heard any theories about Schrekt being behind it, but maybe I'm not looking in the right places.
            Fair enough, I am definitely speaking prematurely on what the fan belief is.

We speculated on it a bit on Schrekt being responsible in the BJD WIR, though not much.

Personally, I don't think he has the oomph to pull it off.

Comment

Originally posted by The Gentleman Gamer View Post

Have you ever seen Shcrekt and Tremere-Lot in the same room at the same time?

Are you on the square?
              Are you on the level?

Comment

I am a proponent of the "Karl Did It" theory, with the qualifier it did not go the way he wanted.

I have long held the belief that none of the schemers in the WoD get what they want. Not Tzimisce, not Tremere, not Kupala, not Saulot, not Haqim... and not Karl. Perhaps he thought the hunters he tipped off would create a moderate distraction, enough for him to destroy the Worm. But it spiraled out of control, as these things do, and destroyed the entire chantry. This means his Dark Secret (tm) is that he is responsible for the destruction of Clan Tremere even as he attempt to rebuild it with him as the leader. Imagine what will happen when that secret gets out...

Anyway, in terms of least to most likely reasons for the fall of Vienna;

5. The worm beast arranged it, to fake its own destruction.
                4. Good Saulot did it, to destroy the worm-beast.
                3. Tremere-Goratrix did it to destroy the clan he had lost control of.
                2. Karl did it, for the above reasons.
                1. Grimgroth (who was supposed to handle security) accidentally let it happen as he was busy with a level 5 ganja ritual.

Comment

Note:

0. A bunch of badass mortals did it with the help of God and superior firepower

Is too ridiculous to contemplate.

*puts in monocle*

Comment

There's also the possibility that the Banu Haqim tipped the SI off, but I generally prefer the idea that Tremere-Goratrix did it to break the pyramid and start anew.

Comment

Or maybe, MAYBE, vampires aren't as omnipotent as we think they are and *gasp* they are completely vulnerable to squads of highly trained and extremely well-prepared mortals who studied every single weakness and advantage that vampires had, not to mention that the attack happened during the day.

Comment

Originally posted by Shawarbaaz View Post
                        Or maybe, MAYBE, vampires aren't as omnipotent as we think they are and *gasp* they are completely vulnerable to squads of highly trained and extremely well-prepared mortals who studied every single weakness and advantage that vampires had, not to mention that the attack happened during the day.
                        While that is possible, the Tremere would probably be the least vulnerable clan as the Prime Chantry is basically crammed to the brink with wards that do not particularly care about the time of day. Winning against that without any help from supernatural forces seems farfetched and winning purely with the aid of the Leopoldian allies would put the power of True Faith beyond anything we've ever seen it do.
                        Plus, we already know the SI is still far from knowing "every single weakness and advantage", with most ingame sources portraying a mix of frighteningly accurate intel along with some basic errors.

Comment

I think a far bigger issue than wards is Auspex. Blowing up a castle full of precogs should be pretty hard.

Really, the Nosferatu were the obvious clan to worf. They have blatant physical distinctions, no Auspex, comparably little mortal political weight (no Dominate or Presence).

Comment

Really, the Nosferatu were the obvious clan to worf. They have blatant physical distinctions, no Auspex, comparably little mortal political weight (no Dominate or Presence).
                            And the only uniting structure - SchreckNet - got worfed. In a way that was IMO handled well: Take something where vampires have no obvious supernatural advantage and where intelligence agencies are traditionally strong and inflict a defeat that makes both parties look competent - the SI broke in, the Nosferatu Admins shut them out within minutes, but the damage was done.

Comment

I think a far bigger issue than wards is Auspex. Blowing up a castle full of precogs should be pretty hard.

Frankly, the Tremere have been in line for a Worfing for many years.

It also wouldn't have been nearly as effective in saying, "The SI are an existential threat to vampires."

Comment

Working...
                              X