[V5] Dominate vs Lower Generations and Mandatory Willpower Expenditures

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [V5] Dominate vs Lower Generations and Mandatory Willpower Expenditures

Say Vamp A, Generation 13, is trying to dominate Vamp B, Generation 12. Dominate says

"Dominate cuts to the core of vampiric mastery and predation. Thus, vampires must resist attempts to Dominate them. A vampire of lower (stronger) generation can resist Dominate attempts from higher generation vampires by spending a Willpower point, negating the effect completely."

To me the first part of this seems pretty clear. No matter what, you must attempt the resistance roll. The second bit seems like an optional additional option for vampire B, but I'm not totally sure. Is Vampire B *mandated* to spend a willpower point to resist if able? If so, why is it only lower generations that are mandated to exert themselves above and beyond the standard resistance, but higher generations are not? I mean it's not like a higher generation has to spend willpower until they succeed or run out (assuming you can spend more than one willpower on the same roll, I could be mistaken but I recall that being a little unclear), or spend *any*.

So yeah, that. Thoughts?

• The Voice
    replied
    So, the text basically says two things:

"(1) Dominate cuts to the core of vampiric mastery and predation. Thus, vampires must resist attempts to Dominate them. (2) A vampire of lower (stronger) generation can resist Dominate attempts from higher generation vampires by spending a Willpower point, negating the effect completely."

(1) This is simply saying that vampires, being the power-obsessed monsters that they are, MUST always try to resist Dominate. In other words, there's no option to just let a power happen; if someone targets you with Dominate, you MUST try to resist. The character might have reasons why they might want to allow a Dominate power to work on them, but the Beast just don't give two shits about that and it WILL fight back.

(2) A vampire of lower (stronger) generation CAN spend a Willpower point to automatically resist a Dominate attempt without any dice rolls. They can choose to not spend that Willpower and just try their luck with the standard resistance roll if they want, but they, unlike weaker (higher generation vampires), have to option to automatically resist without rolling and without a chance of failure.

Leave a comment:

• elmerg
    replied
    Yeah, the operative word is 'can'. It doesn't mean they have to, it just means they have the ability to do so if they choose to.

Leave a comment:

• Redwulfe
    replied
    It is an option for lower generation replacing older rules were the lower generation was immune to dominate automatically.

Leave a comment:

• The Dreamweaver
    replied
    Originally posted by PixelPuzzler View Post
    Say Vamp A, Generation 13, is trying to dominate Vamp B, Generation 12. Dominate says

"Dominate cuts to the core of vampiric mastery and predation. Thus, vampires must resist attempts to Dominate them. A vampire of lower (stronger) generation can resist Dominate attempts from higher generation vampires by spending a Willpower point, negating the effect completely."
    An optional alternative way to resist for sure rather than the crapshoot that is the dice.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X