Starting a new chronicle soon - need metaplot help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting a new chronicle soon - need metaplot help

My friends and I were big into WoD back in the late 90's and haven't played for ages. I'm gearing up for a new game starting next spring and really looking forward to it (I like what I've read of 5e). I've got a lot of reading to do between now and then.

The metaplot is where I need help the most. I'm trying to figure out how the old metaplot has been retconned into the new one (what DID happen and what DIDN'T). I know Beckett's Jyhad Diary is a big guide (I'm going to order a copy soon) and I've got the 5e book and the Camarilla and Anarch books (I'm in the middle of reading them), but is there anywhere online that kinda lays it all out? I'd also like to use it as a simpler summary that I can point my players to. Any help is appreciated.

If there isn't a single reference where I can catch up on this, what books should I be reading to figure it all out? It's my understanding that even Beckett's Diary has some inaccuracies.

i'm going to tag CTPhipps. he's good at metaplot

Comment

Part 1

Revised to Beckett's Jyhad Diary

Bolded points show changes to the metaplot.

* The Gangrel leave the Camarilla because of the Eye of Hazimel. The Sabbat take the East Coast. New York falls to the Camarilla.

* The Tzimisce Antediluvian moves under New York. Calebros becomes Prince of New York.

* Cappadocius spirit is put down by the Children of Isaac and Giovanni Neonates.

* Kupala is freed to prevent a nuclear war being triggered by the Nosferatu Antediluvian.

* Baba Yaga is killed by a Nictuku. The Shadow Curtain falls. The Brujah Council reforms itself around communist-Anarchist lines.

* The Tremere Antitribu are still wiped out by Tremere/Goratrix but some survived and Tremere/Goratrix took over their leadership.

* Anatole does not die but Lucita still joins the Sabbat.

* Hazimel regains his eye and awakens from torpor.

* The Week of Nightmares occurs. The Ravnos are almost entirely killed by the wrath of Ravanna. The Ravnos Antediluvian is killed.

* Ur-Shulgi does not rise or at least he's not been confirmed to have Risen. His possible rising results in the same Assamite Schism, however, with the Banu Haqim seeking refuge in the Camarilla. Beckett is there with Tegyrius.

* The Kuei-Jin are now the Wan Kuei: The status of the Kuei-Jin is nebulous in V5 but the Wan Kuei are mentioned in Beckett's Jyhad Diary so I'm going to
      assume they're the name for Eastern Kindred, Cainite or otherwise. They take San Fransisco and do some menacing things but they are not capable of wiping out the Anarch Free States.

* The event of Vampire: The Masquerade: Bloodlines happen as is with La Croix killed and the Wan Kuei plot, whatever it is, thwarted.

* Marcus Vitel survives the attack by Theo Bell and Christof: He enters torpor for a few years but was not killed as he used a Shadow duplicate.

* Okulus escapes the Feast of Folly location.

* Gehenna does not occur: This is obviously a pretty main one. The Clan Novel trilogies apparently happened but the Gehenna supplement and Gehenna novel are not canon.

* The Red Question uses the 2008 Financial Crisis to wipe out the fortunes of vast numbers of Ventrue and Kindred such as Horatio Ballard. They did not cause it, however. Bobby Weatherbottom is explicitly a member of said organization.

* The Gehenna War
      begins post-9/11 with Cardinal Polonia using Operation: Iraq Freedom and the lie he caused 9/11 to rally an army to go hunt and diablerize the Antediluvians.

* The Beckoning begins with Brujah being drawn to Carthage and their sleeping Antediluvian.

* The Gangrel 4th generation Enkidu is killed by Alastors, probably, and removed from the Red List.

* House Carna is created by Carna when she uses the Book of the Grave War to liberate herself from Tremere mind-control and the Blood Bond.

* The 4th Sabbat Civil War happens when the Fake Melinda Gailbraith is assassinated.

* The Black Hand goes to war with the True Hand.

* Adonai still founds the Salubri Antitribu despite the continued existence of the Tremere Antitribu.

* The Harbingers of Skulls escape the Shadowlands.

* The True Hand is not destroyed with a nuclear bomb and continues to exist despite being outed by the Black Hand's leadership.

* The Followers of Set attempt to purge their ranks of Non-Setites. It's implied to backfire horribly.

* Kemintiri creates a sect of Red Listers and their allies to start working against the sects.

* The Samedi, Giovanni, and Harbingers begin making tentative negotiations.

* Beckett discovers the coffin of the 2nd Generation vampire Enoch.

* The Amis Noctis discover the Lasombra Antediluvian is alive when it flies around their monastery.
      Last edited by CTPhipps; 08-12-2019, 09:40 PM.

Author of Cthulhu Armageddon, I was a Teenage Weredeer, Straight Outta Fangton, Lucifer's Star, and the Supervillainy Saga.

Comment

Originally posted by Kodiak3d View Post
        My friends and I were big into WoD back in the late 90's and haven't played for ages. I'm gearing up for a new game starting next spring and really looking forward to it (I like what I've read of 5e). I've got a lot of reading to do between now and then.

The metaplot is where I need help the most. I'm trying to figure out how the old metaplot has been retconned into the new one (what DID happen and what DIDN'T). I know Beckett's Jyhad Diary is a big guide (I'm going to order a copy soon) and I've got the 5e book and the Camarilla and Anarch books (I'm in the middle of reading them), but is there anywhere online that kinda lays it all out? I'd also like to use it as a simpler summary that I can point my players to. Any help is appreciated.

If there isn't a single reference where I can catch up on this, what books should I be reading to figure it all out? It's my understanding that even Beckett's Diary has some inaccuracies.

Aside from what CTPhipps added, if you go in further depth, basically V5 goes up to the end of Revised, ignores any of the (already optional) Gehenna stuff, and advances forward. it references some things from V20, but seems to ignore some others, and then forges ahead to 2018.

Comment

Originally posted by elmerg View Post
          Aside from what CTPhipps added, if you go in further depth, basically V5 goes up to the end of Revised, ignores any of the (already optional) Gehenna stuff, and advances forward. it references some things from V20, but seems to ignore some others, and then forges ahead to 2018.
          Basically, V5 seems to actually incorporate some Revised stuff that V20 ignored like the Week of Nightmares and (possibly) destruction of the Black Hand.

The Kuei Jin/Wan Kuei are PROBABLY no longer canon.

The problem is that kind of leaves a pretty big story hole of what happened in Bloodlines and who the Ravnos were fighting for centuries.

Author of Cthulhu Armageddon, I was a Teenage Weredeer, Straight Outta Fangton, Lucifer's Star, and the Supervillainy Saga.

Comment

Originally posted by CTPhipps View Post

Basically, V5 seems to actually incorporate some Revised stuff that V20 ignored like the Week of Nightmares and (possibly) destruction of the Black Hand.

The Kuei Jin/Wan Kuei are PROBABLY no longer canon.

The problem is that kind of leaves a pretty big story hole of what happened in Bloodlines and who the Ravnos were fighting for centuries.

There's an oblique mention of 'chinese vampires' in the Anarch book, so I wouldn't say 'not canon' as much as 'not terribly relevant' at this stage in the game.

Comment

Part 2

V5, The Camarilla, The Anarchs, LA By Night, and Chicago by Night

Bold now just represents power players

* The Camarilla attempts to use the National Security Agency to monitor the activities of the Sabbat, the Dominate they used on Felicity Price failed, and the NSA agent informed the government of her Camarilla subversion. The Masquerade is broken but the government agencies involved choose to keep it top-secret and inter-agency only due to the fear of a panic or losing their authority.

* The government uses its considerable resources to find out all it can. Firstlight is created by making contact with the CIA and FBI Special Affairs Division. It then contacts other intelligence organizations and they compare notes. This leads them to the Society of Leopold and they give everything Firstlight could want to know about vampires in exchange for billions in funding as well as military-grade weapons. Other government agencies are soon read in with proof that the supernatural exists easy to find. The Second Inquisition is born.

* The Second Inquisition successfully hacks Schrek.net and the Nosferatu destroy all their information but are forced to leave behind those on their compatriots. This gives them all the information they could ever need to know about vampires effectively, albeit much of it is confusing and misleading.

* The Second Inquisition kills all the vampires in London, U.K. starting with Queen Anne using modified CCTV cameras as well as infrared vision. It is apparently something Monty Coven/Mithras allowed as he evacuated his people then waged a year long war against them over. Ultimately, Monty Coven is killed and London is left Blankbody free.

* The Second Inquisition hits Mexico City hard and the Camarilla rolls over the Sabbat's remnants in the city under the command of Ventrue Fiorenza. The Sabbat are hit hard by this loss both in terms of ideology as well as confidence.

* The Sabbat also take hits from the Drowned who finally attack after they have been preparing for centuries.

* The Gehenna War is a brutal, nasty, horrifying grind that never ends. 9 neonates die for every Ancient killed and the survivor diablerizes the Ancient, only to become possessed. The resulting monsters are diablerie-addicted. The Lasombra Antediluvian is spotted on the battlefield and it's implied that the Sabbat's Mass Embrace tactics are actually just providing the Antediluvians food.

* The Church of Caine leaves the Sabbat as many start converting Anarchs and Camarilla vampires as the apocalypse looms.

* The Beckoning causes many Methuselahs, some Low Generation Vampires, and some Elders to go to the Middle East and North Africs to fight the Sabbat. They are summoned by their elders and offered vague promises of power. They are the "meat and potatos" of the Sabbat's war, though their conflict awakens much older vampires.

* The Ashirra is weirded the fuck out by all this and opens diplomatic contact with the Camarilla.
              Last edited by CTPhipps; 08-12-2019, 10:33 PM.

Comment

One of the things that I have been seeing, in the books as well as from some of the developer Q&As I have listened to, is that everything is canon, except the Gehenna books, but not necessarily true. It is up to you as the ST to decided what is true in your game. This has always been the way it has been from back in the days of "Ashes to Ashes" where Lodin could be killed and then in "Chicago by Night" it says to basically ignore Lodin if you did so and then Latter on Lodin could be saved in "Under a Blood Red Moon" and then was removed from "Chicago by Night" 2nd edition and so on.

I wouldn't worry too much about the small things but focus on the major plot points for V5 and only really use it as background info rather than needing to have it as the main focus of the game.

1. Many elders have left; not all but many. The game is much more street-level with younger Vampires taking more of the focus.
                2. The Second Inquisition is a thing and due to this the Camarilla does not like using technology, they have become stricter on who can join, the tension between them and the Anarchs has increased.
                3. The Setites, Ministry, have joined with the Anarchs as well as much of the Buhaj and Gangrel.
                4. The Assamites, Banu Haquim/Visiers, who were closer to their Islamic faith, The Ashira, have joined the Camarilla.
                5. The Lasombra have petitioned the Camarilla and some princes are allowing them to join under steep penalty.
                6. House Tremere is fractured, somewhat. There are now two main playable sub-factions, not counting the Anti-tribu/House Geortrix, but much more room for more.
                7. Most of the Sabbat have left to fight in the Gehenna Crusade in the east.

Pretty much with a little knowledge of the previous fluff and just reading the V5 books you can still run a very accurate game. especially since everything is canon, except the Gehenna books, and not all of it is true.

Comment

Part 3

* There is a resurgence in Lilith worship among Kindred. The Bahari are now a well-known group.

* The Second Inquisition launches a surprise daytime attack on the Tremere Chantry in Vienna during an emergency meeting of the Council of Seven. All of its wards are eradicated by holy relics wielded by the Society of Leopold working with hedges magicians before all of the sleeping Kindred are decapited in their sleep and ghoul defenders cut down. Many tomes and artifacts are seized before a drone strike is launched on the building that causes it to collapse. The Council of Seven is believed killed and the Worm either removed or buried. Dusable comments that it's bizarre all of their wards and defenses fell so easily and suspects treachery.

* Jalan Aajav is killed by the Second Inquisition.

* A similar attack is launched against the Giovanni Mausoleum in Venice that is even more devastating, killing dozens of Elder Clan members dating back to the original revolt against the Cappadocians. Augustus Giovanni's body disappears and is possibly destroyed along with the Clan's power forever.

The survivors join with the Samedi and Harbingers to become the Hecata.

* The Camarilla, blaming the Anarchs and Sabbat for the Second Inquisition publicly, attempt to manipulate the SI to going after both.

* The Convention of Prague is summoned by Hardelstadt to demand oaths of fealty from all Kindred. Theo Bell assassinates him in a surprise attack and Jan pieterzsoon is killed during the resulting fighting as well. The Brujah are expelled for this act.

* The Gangrel and Brujah and Caitiff become the new Anarchs.

* The Thin Bloods also rename themselves the Duskborn as their new Thin Blood Alchemy makes them capable of fighting with older Kindred.

* The Banu Haqim officially join the Camarilla due to the Vermillion Wedding that is between Tegyrius and Victoria Ash--symbolically sealing the deal.

* One of the conditions of the joining is the Followers of Set have their delegates to join the Camarilla killed (or the Banu Haqim do it themselves). The Camarilla sends a haughty note that tells the Setites to fuck off.

* The Setites, having lost a lot of their Typhonist orthodoxy in the crackdown, change their name to the Ministry of Love (which is shortened to the Ministry) both to catch more flies with honey and to acknowledge most are polytheists.

* The Ministry decides to join the Anarchs. They take Indianapolis.

* The newly resurgent Anarchs take Berlin from the Camarilla and begin a full-scale war that makes them a fully united and powerful sect. Russia, New Zealand, Cuba, and California fall under their sway.

* The Second Inquisition, believing they won the war by wiping out the "Vampire Headquarters" begins demobilizing and only engaged in mop-up actions.

* Kevin Jackson seizes control over the city of Chicago from Joseph Peterson after the failed Chicago Olympic Bid. He begins a heavy crackdown of Anarchs.

* The Lasombra split in half with the others joining the Camarilla.

I think that's everything.

Comment

Wow, I really appreciate all the helpful responses! Thank you so much for the wonderful summary, CTPhipps. Seems like a generous and helpful forum here. Glad I signed up!

Comment

Could I ask you to clarify whether you and your friends know even in broad terms what kind of story you want to run? Knowing some of the ideas and themes even in broad strokes could save you time in your metaplot research by allowing others to more easily recommend the sources you need. In my experience more information is always better when it comes to these sorts of things.

Comment

Wow, I really appreciate all the helpful responses! Thank you so much for the wonderful summary, CTPhipps. Seems like a generous and helpful forum here. Glad I signed up!
                        As much as I love V5, I feel like there's like 5 years of metaplot in a couple of books with no history section.

Comment

Originally posted by Mister_Dunpeal View Post

Could I ask you to clarify whether you and your friends know even in broad terms what kind of story you want to run? Knowing some of the ideas and themes even in broad strokes could save you time in your metaplot research by allowing others to more easily recommend the sources you need. In my experience more information is always better when it comes to these sorts of things.
                          Right now I'm just trying to get as much background information as I can. I'm curious how the metaplot has gone over the years while I haven't been paying attention. As for ideas and themes, I have players with different interests so I tend to have a broad spectrum in my game. It will mainly revolve around the city of Louisville, KY (where we live). The players won't be taking a big part in the metaplot, but we want to play in the current time so we need to see how the landscape has changed (and it apparently has A LOT) since we played in college 20 years ago.

It's kinda crazy to me to think that the game has been around for over 25 years. I remember when it first came out. There's a lot of nostalgia in picking these books up again. Brings back memories of being up until 4 in the morning playing Vampire when I SHOULD be studying for a test the next morning.
                          Last edited by Kodiak3d; 08-12-2019, 11:11 PM.

Comment

Right now I'm just trying to get as much background information as I can. I'm curious how the metaplot has gone over the years while I haven't been paying attention. As for ideas and themes, I have players with different interests so I tend to have a broad spectrum in my game. It will mainly revolve around the city of Louisville, KY (where we live). The players won't be taking a big part in the metaplot, but we want to play in the current time so we need to see how the landscape has changed (and it apparently has A LOT) since we played in college 20 years ago.

It's kinda crazy to me to think that the game has been around for over 25 years. I remember when it first came out. There's a lot of nostalgia in picking these books up again. Brings back memories of being up until 4 in the morning playing Vampire when I SHOULD be studying for a test the next morning.
                            Oh cool, I live in Ashland, Ky.

Comment

Originally posted by CTPhipps View Post

Oh cool, I live in Ashland, Ky.
                              I'm familiar with Ashland. I grew up in eastern KY.

Comment

Working...
                              X