Bindusara

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bindusara

Who would you have to be Bindusara's sire?

After collecting information from Clanbook Ventrue, Dark Ages Companion and Encyclopaedia Vampirica, I'd guess him to be of the lorekeepers faction of the Ventrue, most probably a grandchilde of Balthazar. Considering him a childe of Ea Adapa was always my best guess, but after her mentorship of him I doubt it. The respect Mithras had for him is almost legendary, yet I doubt any childe of the God King embracing him.

I do consider him to be the historical figure of the Mauryan empire, father of Ashoka, so his embrace date is pretty clear.

Who could be around in the area to embrace him? My best guess is some unknown cainite childe of Balthazar. Opinions?

- Saga

I think it's possible that Bindusara was created in the lineage of Mithras. He was present in England in the Battle of Hastings (1066) where he Embraced Valerius, a future Seneschal of Mithras and sire of Anne Bowesley (Giovanni Chronicles III). Another of children of Bindusara is Daffeyd from Powys (Wales) (Dark Ages: British Isles). I think Mithras would prefer the service of Ventrue of his own blood. However, it's possible that he was Embraced in another Eastern Ventrue lineage.

Bindusara appears in Alexandria in hellenistic times, so I would say that his Embrace could be related with the arrival of Alexander the Great to the India.

On the other hand you should keep in mind that Bindusara's previous to Balthazar.
    Last edited by Magus; 08-15-2019, 10:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Magus View Post
      I think it's possible that Bindusara was created in the lineage of Mithras. He was present in England in the Battle of Hastings (1066) where he Embraced Valerius, a future Seneschal of Mithras and sire of Anne Bowesley (Giovanni Chronicles III). Another of children of Bindusara is Daffeyd from Powys (Wales) (Dark Ages: British Isles). I think Mithras would prefer the service of Ventrue of his own blood. However, it's possible that he was Embraced in another Eastern Ventrue lineage.

Bindusara appears in Alexandria in hellenistic times, so I would say that his Embrace could be related with the arrival of Alexander the Great to the India.

On the other hand you should keep in mind that Bindusara's previous to Balthazar.

Not really, Balthazar is mentioned to be in Knossos, and that happened around 1590 BC, so he is not Belshazzar son of Nabonidus, who was born around 540 BC but someone far older.

Bindusara was most probably was the king of the Mauryan Empire, human father of Ashoka, as Encyclopedia Vampirica states, and his death was in 273 BC in Pataliputra, present day in the easternmost region of India. Around that time, Mithras was either in Persia or the Roman Republic. Perhaps someone of his lineage was left in Asia for it to embrace Bindusara but is doubtful, although not impossible.

- Saga

Comment

I meant that Bindusara appeared in the supplements of World of Darkness before Balthazar, at the same time as Mithras and therefore the game designers didn't think about him yet.

The sire of Bindusara is of 5th Generation. I think is possible that a childe of Mithras that he had arrived with Alexander's army in the IV b.C. Bindusara arrived to Alexandria after that, so perhaps he could have links with the western Ventrue.

Comment

Originally posted by Magus View Post
          I meant that Bindusara appeared in the supplements of World of Darkness before Balthazar, at the same time as Mithras and therefore the game designers didn't think about him yet.

The sire of Bindusara is of 5th Generation. I think is possible that a childe of Mithras that he had arrived with Alexander's army in the IV b.C. Bindusara arrived to Alexandria after that, so perhaps he could have links with the western Ventrue.
          Maybe but against this, I'd present the Mithra's letter to Bindusara in BJD. It is written in a very familiar tone, with Mithras going so far as to address Bindusara as his "brother in blood".
          I just don't see Mithras speaking like an equal to his grandchilde.

Comment

I think that "brother in blood" that the two are Ventrue.

Comment

Bindusara's mention in Clanbook Ventrue predates Balthazar's in Dark Ages Companion by 3 years, yes.

Alexander's army barely got into India up to Punjab and Multan, which is either modern day Pakistan or the western-most part of India, while the Mauryan Empire seat is in present-day Patna. On the other hand, during the Achaemid Empire, the persians did reach the Patna region century and a half before Alexander. So, if there was a childer of Mithras in the region, it'd be someone running away from Alexander's army, but the embrace of such a prominent person like Bindusara I doubt it would be allowed to someone merely a century in the area with a lineage as old as Balthazar within it.

They way Mithras treats Bindusara is somehow different to any other of his own bloodline, though. He treats him "as peer" and none ever of his own childer achieved that, and I highly doubt that such treatment would fall well to his own childe and sire of Bindusara while escaping Alexander's army, if such was the case. Mithras is known to entertain cainites not only of his clan, as was his meeting with Haqim. Therefore, I believe his respect extends not only to his lineage but those who actually manage to win his respect, albeit clan or affiliation.

Being mentored by Ea (akkadian/baylonian deity) Adapa (immortal or a cuneiform word meaning "wise") it is possible that his lineage comes from it (in history he is known as a man but Bindusara mention it as female). I have to assume he/she comes from Eridu which its fall predates Mithras embrace by 9 centuries. So, Bindusara's impression in Mithras might be not by his lineage from the Prince of London, but what he learned from someone even older than Mithras himself.

In Encyclopaedia Vampirica states first that he reached the Roman Empire, therefore following following Augustus claim as emperor in 27 BC. Later mentioned to visit Erciyes and then Alexandria. It is possible that the events in the book are scrambled.

- Saga

Comment

Working...
              X