Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [V5] Montreal

https://utilitymuffinlabs.com/25-yea...he-masquerade/

In this episode, we sit down with Thomas Filippi of Flyos Games to talk about the upcoming storytelling board game, Vampire: the Masquerade Chapters. We dig into the story elements of Vampire: the Masquerade, going from fan to creator, and what goes in to the development of a game set in the World of Darkness.

Vampire: The Masquerade – CHAPTERS is a story-driven role-playing board game. This unique combination of playable elements delivers an unforgettable adventure for 1-4 players with highly detailed miniatures, where the strategy and decisions you make have a huge impact on the story. Vampire: The Masquerade – CHAPTERS takes place in Montreal, after the appearance of the Second Inquisition and the fall of Sabbat. Designed around three pillars—story, tactics, and role-playing—our goal is to merge the best elements of RPGs and board games in a brand-new way. Your decisions will shape the adventure in a strong and mature storytelling.
    So, Montreal has fallen to the Second Inquisition per the CHAPTERS game.

The Camarilla and the Anarchs are working to take it over.

The Sabbat are wandering around in packs.
    Last edited by CTPhipps; 08-19-2019, 09:41 PM.

Author of Cthulhu Armageddon, I was a Teenage Weredeer, Straight Outta Fangton, Lucifer's Star, and the Supervillainy Saga.

I blame Strathcona

Comment

Is the fall of Montreal canon, or just for the board game?
      Last edited by Grumpy RPG Reviews; 08-19-2019, 03:08 PM.

Comment

This is why we can’t have nice things.

Comment

Originally posted by Grumpy RPG Reviews View Post
          Is the fall of Montreal canon, or just for the board game?
          It is apparently canon.
          Last edited by CTPhipps; 08-19-2019, 03:56 PM.

Author of Cthulhu Armageddon, I was a Teenage Weredeer, Straight Outta Fangton, Lucifer's Star, and the Supervillainy Saga.

Comment

Wow. The Sabbat isn’t left with much then, are they? After losing Milan and New York, I thought Montreal and Mexico City were the only significant holdings they had remaining after the end of the Revised Edition in 2004. Between not having a city left and the offscreen massacre of the Gehenna War, the message seems to be that the Camarilla and the Anarchs are the only intended player options in V5 after all. I’ve never seen a game actively reduce the number of playable factions due to fiat from the rights holders before.
            Last edited by Reasor; 08-19-2019, 04:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Reasor View Post
              This is why we can’t have nice things.
              time to play Kult

-

Comment

Originally posted by Reasor View Post
                Wow. The Sabbat isn’t left with much then, are they? After losing Milan and New York, I thought Montreal and Mexico City were the only significant holdings they had remaining after the end of the Revised Edition in 2004. Between not having a city left and the offscreen massacre of the Gehenna War, the message seems to be that the Camarilla and the Anarchs are the only intended player options in V5 after all. I’ve never seen a game actively reduce the number of playable factions due to fiat from the rights holders before.
                * The Church of Caine
                * The Bahari

We'll probably see more groups than ever.

It's just the Sabbat are being moved back to being mysterious and terrifying antagonists.

Miami is still Sabbat territory.

But yes, the Kuei-Jin are also gone.
                Last edited by CTPhipps; 08-19-2019, 05:06 PM.

Comment

and what next? the technos are back to being evil fascists who only want to clone your family and kill the original?

-

Comment

Originally posted by Pleiades View Post
                    an what next? the technos are back to being evil fascists who want to clone your family and kill the original?
                    But...they are evil fascists.

Comment

Originally posted by CTPhipps View Post

But...they are evil fascists.
                      errr...good point

look, the sabbat being scaaary was never their appeal...except for 1st ed fanatics

but here's the thing,
                      the v5 sabbat isn't scary, it's hilariously ridiculous, the sabbat is a laughing stock

if what they wanted was 1st ed sabbat, they botched it bad

-

Comment

Originally posted by Pleiades View Post

errr...good point

look, the sabbat being scaaary was never their appeal...except for 1st ed fanatics

but here's the thing,
                        the v5 sabbat isn't scary, it's hilariously ridiculous, the sabbat is a laughing stock

if what they wanted was 1st ed sabbat, they botched it bad
                        I think V5 Sabbat's thing is that the Classic Sabbat are not being defeated, they're being EATEN by New Sabbat.

New Sabbat being 5,000 year old vampires possessing the corpses of the Neonates they let diablerize them.

All under the control of the Antediluvians.

Comment

One of the issues with the collapse of the Islamic State is accounting for all of its members and fighters. Too many have slipped through the cracks, remain terrorists, and will likely go on to create chaos and misery later.

One of the issues with the collapse of the Traditional Sabbat is accounting for all of its members and fighters. Too many have slipped through the cracks, remain violent monsters, and will likely go on to create chaos and misery later.

So what if the Sabbat has nominally lost Montreal - that doesn't mean any vampire residents in Montreal are safe from Sabbat attacks.

Comment

Originally posted by Grumpy RPG Reviews View Post
                            One of the issues with the collapse of the Islamic State is accounting for all of its members and fighters. Too many have slipped through the cracks, remain terrorists, and will likely go on to create chaos and misery later.

One of the issues with the collapse of the Traditional Sabbat is accounting for all of its members and fighters. Too many have slipped through the cracks, remain violent monsters, and will likely go on to create chaos and misery later.

So what if the Sabbat has nominally lost Montreal - that doesn't mean any vampire residents in Montreal are safe from Sabbat attacks.
                            you're missing the point,

sabbat don't go to montreal for the Jyhad,
                            they either go there to savor unlife, for self development or for pilgrimage

the city was unique,
                            it wasn't ruled by the Lasombra-Tzimisce hegemony,
                            it wasn't in constant struggle,
                            it wasn't under Mexico's influence,
                            Cardinal strathcona, the one who took Montreal and re-build it, was a former Camarilla Ventrue Prince who embraced the sabbat ideology and kept it to heart to the final nights

the biggest threat to the sabbat in montreal wasn't the camarilla, or the lupines or the hunters,
                            it was their complacency, which the infernal didn't miss the chance to exploit

montreal was the dream city of the sabbat,
                            the only place they could go to and say "we can do it after all"

now it's gone, and all their hopes with it

-

Comment

Sigh...I continue to mourn what V5 has done to my favorite aspect of Vampire the Masquerade. I don't know why the command decision was made to destroy and make an aspect of the game some people loved unplayable. I don't think I will ever understand that. Oh well, at least there's always the Golden Rule and previous editions. I just wish they hadn't so utterly destroyed the Sabbat in V5 for some reason.

Mindless 1st edition nameless vampire the masquerade version of D&D goblins for players to fight is two dimensional and bland. Revised made the Sabbat distinct and very deep. I enjoyed it greatly. Now...I don't even know how you make the Sabbat viable for play in V5 or if they ever will. Which is sad, as its effectively being told as a consumer and player of this game "oh that thing you really liked to play? You can't in our new edition. Sorry!". I could write an essay on how deep and interesting the Sabbat of the Revised era was, but that won't change much. If your vampire game needed boogeymen there were a lot of other options besides a whole sect of vampires one could have chosen as an option. They didn't need to bring the Sabbat back to first edition IMO.

Oh well :-(

Comment

Working...
                              X