Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Random Dark Ages Musing about the Lhiannan((who white wolf must hate)) and The Noiad

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nosimplehiway View Post
    The Lhiannan are fine. If you think about it, it makes sense. The way a group of vampires becomes a major clan is by being successful and thriving. If you have a debilitating weakness, you don't thrive. It seems reasonable minor bloodlines should have some reason they haven't made it to major clan status.

As for the Noiad, it does seem odd they were omitted. V20 says, "They no longer exist. If you run a historical game, okay". VDA says, "The who now? We've never heard of them."

they literally had a setting chapter in northern norway, like right where i live and trust me the Sami were here and they were vital to the entire region. It is therefore odd to not mention the vampire bloodline that like..actually lives and deals with the sami people in such a DaV20 setting chapter.

Comment

There is debilitating weakness and there is "there is no reason why this bloodline should even exist" weaknesses. Literally losing generation when embracing is probably the worst weakness i have ever heard about. Like the Lamia have a debilitating weakness

Comment

The problem with the first edition DAV weakness is that they gave that rule to the Baali, that fit better in the vulnerability to faith. So in DAV second edition they introduced the binding with the land, play with that.

Comment

So the Lhiannan in the Bohemian Grove in California or Carrowmore in Ireland or where ever realizes she has increased her generation, and thus lowered her relative power. She responds to this by (A) manipulating the PCs into bringing her a powerful vampire she can diablerize in exchange for favors later, or (B) eating members of the party of a suitable generation.

The Lhiannan is a trap door spider and a force for sinister mystery. But then so are lots of vampires. They are not going to be hanging around a city, or its normal vampire power structures (courts and elysium). But they might well haunt and hunt an important road or mountain pass. Supposedly no one knows why the vampires are disappearing in the area, and the party stumbles into the mystery. And the meet the Lhiannan , who offers to help....
          Last edited by Grumpy RPG Reviews; 09-18-2019, 04:21 PM.

Comment

And, the Lhiannon have the best bloodline theme song ever.

(Never mind the spelling.)

Anyway, as for the Noiad, they are not just a bloodline of the Gangrel, and it frankly annoyed me when LotC canonized that. The presumed inspiration for them, the Noaiadi, are an interesting piece of Northern European history, old enough to consider the vikings a bunch of upstarts. Shamanic drum magic, ties to the land and animals, leading their people on visionquests. They deserve to be a stand-alone vampiric group.

I would more easily believe the Noiad are in some distant way related to the Tzimisce, given they share two of the three same disciplines, and the one that differs is Protean/Vicissitude, which have obvious similarities.

Deep in the obscurest parts of my head-canon I think of the Noiad as the last remnant of a clan from which both the Gangrel and Tzimisce sprang.

One of my favorite Noiad related threads here. Oh, and there's a video from Atlantic Monthly which argues that Santa Claus is a Noaidi. No really.

Comment

Originally posted by Nosimplehiway View Post
              I would more easily believe the Noiad are in some distant way related to the Tzimisce, given they share two of the three same disciplines, and the one that differs is Protean/Vicissitude, which have obvious similarities.
              Fifth edition has also merged those two disciplines, so they have the same spread entirely now! (If the Noiad show up again and don't just get swept under the rug, that is.)

Comment

I've been wondering how the Noaid flaw would interact with V5, actually. Clans have a weakness, which scales based on Blood Potency, but the Noiad weakness is kind of all or nothing. I suppose it could be patterned after the Ventrue, and they can ignore it with willpower and Blood Potency.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluecho View Post
                  That's probably what I'd do, were I running them. Make them a weird bloodline of Tzimisce, with in-Clan Koldunism instead of Vicissitude, and whatever other changes in Discipline spread. Gives more room to use them, without being totally limited by geography or Generation. Makes it easier to have a few around in the modern day.
                  A branch of the Vicissitude-hating Dracul aka Old Clan Tzimisce perhaps?

Maybe they teamed up with survivors of the Telyavic Tremere, and that's why they got exterminated (in addition to the loss of land and culture thing). Clan Tzimisce and Clan Tremere both couldn't stand the fraternization.
                  Speaking of the Telyavelic, anyone ever considered tinkering with other cells of Tremere gone pagan/native/rogue across the Dark medieval world? Just curious.

I like this. I like this a lot. I can see loads of these sorts of Shamanic Gangrel being autarkis, or joining the Anarchs as "Old Skool" sorcerers.
                  While in my own games a lot of that goes into the Sabbat ritae, could be fun indeed to have some "grassroots/hedge blood magicians" peppered here and there among the anarchs.

In fact it just crossed my mind that Brunhild & Waƫlkyrige vague ties with scandinavian anarchs could be seen through exactly such a prism.
                  Last edited by Baaldam; 09-16-2020, 12:03 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X