Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crossover idea Conan-Hyborea

Hello everyone,

we already had an idea about vampires in anitquity, rome, greece...why not go much further? I always liked the conan stories and the hyborean age as setting and with True Brujah time travel isnt totally impossible. So what about pitting vampires of a medieval campaign into the world of Conan, were the gods (Mithra etc.) could be unknown 2nd Gen vampires that didnt survive to the great flood, many monsters could be extinct shapechangers or forms of Gangrel, various 3rd Gen Vampires could still be encountered when they were still young in various cultures like Haquim as Stygian etc. Caine could still be roaming around and be encountered etc. New disciplines and Clans that went extinct with the flood could be out there...

What do you think of it? What would you change or keep? How would you implement that? Im collecting ideas ^^
    The Picts make great shapechangers, the Early Tzimisce versions all kinds of monsters, Undead by some form of Kappaocians etc.

THE Tzimisce could be Yog, THE original Gangrely Jabal Sag, Saulot Mithra etc. Caines original lover Derketo and so on and so forth. The Ymir blooded could be a new vampire clan that went extinct later, old Tarantia is a nice city setting.
    Last edited by Orkar; 09-29-2019, 04:43 AM.

I don't really have anything intelligent to add, but I thoroughly approve of this idea.

If you want to dip into the Conan comics -- and for a gonzo idea like this, why wouldn't you -- Selene from the X-Men rogues gallery was already kicking around in the Hyborian Age. Aesthetically she's basically a Lasombra anyway.

Comment

Selene is a nice tip =)

Im asking myself a few questions there as definitely a few problems Arise when we look at the timeline, since the Hyborean age takes place roughly 10.000 BC before the great flood. So...what areas could be which? Could Atlantis have been the First city and Skelos the second?

Is the Land of Nod maybe the old Land of Acheron? Wouldnt there have been more than 1 flood event? (Atlantis the first) Which 4th Gen Vampries could already have been around, if any? How old would 2nd Gens be? How far back is Caine?

I mean overall it seems quite fitting for a crossover in special as many creatures found in the Conan universe could very well be placed inside the World of Darkness area without issues or are more or less overlapping anyway.

Comment

Conan's Hyborea and Kull's Atlantis are set in different eras of the same fictional Earth. For someone whose life was as short as his was, Robert E. Howard left behind a treasure trove of weird fiction that straddled what would today be considered separate genres of fantasy and horror. Some of the anthology collections of his work are worth pursuing and reading as references for Weird West or Dark Roman Empire settings as well.

Comment

When the Exalted game line was launched, it was portrayed as a mythical prehistory to the World of Darkness setting. Abyssal Exalted were the original cainites and the Conan the Barbarian mythos was repeatedly mentioned as a touchstone and inspiration. So yeah, I would say it fits pretty well.

The big stumbling places in running a prehistory game is both power creep and a lack of boundaries for the characters. If everyone is say 4th or 5th generation, then tend to have like 11 starting discipline dots, which makes things very different. Further more while it might be really cool to have all the classical fantasy monsters running around from that time period, they are mostly covered in the WtA and MtA lines discussing the same time period, there isn't any way to run a personal horror game with this setup.

With that much personal power and the complete lack of human society being any kind of threat to the kindred race, there is no masquerade to maintain, there is little reason to hide ones true nature. Thus running a prehistory VtM game really does play out like a low powered abyssal exalted game.

Comment

Alternatively, you could run with the idea of a cyclical Gehenna. The vampires in the Hyborean age are roughly as powerful as the current ones because the current ones are not descended from them in the same way that modern day vampires are descended from medieval vampires. This is an entirely different age with entirely different vampires, but at some point, Gehenna will come, wipe the slate clean and there will only be one left - quite possibly a young fellow named Caine who looks back on the age behind him and vows to not make the same mistakes like the ones before him.
            It may be interesting to play up both parallels and contrasts between the present age and this one.
            All of this has happened before. And all of this will happen again.

Comment

Cifer

Or, two or three or four surviving vampires, if the Bonsam, Setites, Lhiannan, Lilins, etc. are to be believed.

Comment

Originally posted by Nosimplehiway View Post
                Cifer

Or, two or three or four surviving vampires, if the Bonsam, Setites, Lhiannan, Lilins, etc. are to be believed.
                Possible, of course, but particularly in regards to Set, I'd rather see him get through Gehenna by becoming quasi-mortal again, then later forcing a vampire to give him the Embrace as some parts of Setite doctrine suggest - particularly since Set is a fixture of the Conan 'verse already..

Comment

Originally posted by Elphilm View Post
                  I don't really have anything intelligent to add, but I thoroughly approve of this idea.

If you want to dip into the Conan comics -- and for a gonzo idea like this, why wouldn't you -- Selene from the X-Men rogues gallery was already kicking around in the Hyborian Age. Aesthetically she's basically a Lasombra anyway.

The thing about Selene being an Hyborian Age remnant is kind of contentious, as the only actual link we have to this would be her enmity of Kulan-Gath and considering how he has a long story of taking other people's bodies to return to life, they might as well have crossed spellbolts in any of a number of later eras.

If one does connect her to the hyborean age, she could have seen Vammatar, Kulan's once rival, wife and then nemesis again.

Or not, Kulan-Gath apparently has a history of seducing powerful witches, only for them to turn back against him later on. Damn, one of them turned on him because she found out about his past relationsship with Vammatar!

(Incidentally, Kulan-Gath's capacity to reshape possessed bodies would make him a good fit for Tzimisce, i guess)

Varnae might also be of considerable interest, i think.

Originally posted by Orkar View Post
                  Selene is a nice tip =)

Im asking myself a few questions there as definitely a few problems Arise when we look at the timeline, since the Hyborean age takes place roughly 10.000 BC before the great flood. So...what areas could be which? Could Atlantis have been the First city and Skelos the second?
                  Must admit i never saw anything indicating Skelos might be a place, sources i remember seemed to implied either some text or (maybe) its writer.

The overall idea with the Hyborean Age is a time between Great Deluge (the oceans drank Atlantis) and history as we know it (errrr, kind of knew back in the 20s-30s, the sons of Aryas aka Aryans), don't sweat too much over numbers and such, the coming and going of dynasties, kingdoms and people that rise, change, disappear and/or mix to form new ones, that is key to set mood, imho.

Also, i would like to point out that the portrayal of many elements may change depending on your sources - for example, Aquilonia has been frequently portrayed with roman overtones in comic books while Howard's take was closer to Plantagenet France iirc, while Khitai will turn into Japan, China or eastern europe with slant-eyed people depending on creative team. Meanwhile Hour of the Dragon, Howard's original novel, has a scene with Valerius and a pair khitanese sorcerers that i won't deny, made me think "ninjas?!" like no comic book adaptation of the tale ever did.

Anyway, go with whatever feels right and more fun to you - as someone who has done a Vigil/Requiem games with Bran Mak Morn stories played ((mostly) straight porting "the Shadow Kingdom"' into Thailand, i heartily aapprove of your endeavor.
                  Last edited by Baaldam; 10-04-2019, 01:04 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X