So, what is Tlaloc?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So, what is Tlaloc?

I've never read Mexico City by Night, and I keep seeing references to Tlaloc in the canon regarding the area. It's stated it isn't a vampire. What is it?

I don't know that Tlaloc has ever been statted out officially, but my working guess in the light of where the World of Darkness is at right now is that Tlaloc was a Drowned Legacy vampire who ended up partnering with Nergal/Huitzilopochtli in order to manipulate the mortals of Central America into sacrificing blood to them both.

Comment

Tlaloc is descripted as a water spirit or an elemental, not a Cainite. But my theory is that he probably was a Tzimisce methuselah using Earth's Vast Haven (which would explain his spiritual presence), and he can teach Koldunic Sorcery paths to whoever make a soul pact with him.

I hope they drop the Drowned Legacies idea, since I believe it is unlikely that we will ever have a sourcebook explaining their history, structures and mechanics in V5.

- Saga

Comment

Drowned legacies are mentioned in V5 CbN, if I recall.

Comment

What exactly it is is left ambiguous, but it can teach Koldunic Sorcery and make deals for the souls of cainites. Depending on your campaign's metaphysics, it could be a powerful nature spirit worshiped as a god in Pre-Columbian Mexico, a High Umbral incarna, an earthbound demon, etc.

Comment

I think Tlaloc is a High Umbral Incarna.

Sing me a song of a lass who is gone
            ​Say could that lass be I...

​Theme song from Outlander

Comment

In Aztec tradition Tlaloc was one of the Colorful Gods responsible for the ancient suns / ages. This was a group of the pantheon's larger gods, equivalent to Quetzoalcoalt itself.

This is a good mention to be able to match which level would be such in WoD.

There were legends of very childlike vampire beings associated with this God.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Linus View Post
                In Aztec tradition Tlaloc was one of the Colorful Gods responsible for the ancient suns / ages. This was a group of the pantheon's larger gods, equivalent to Quetzoalcoalt itself.

This is a good mention to be able to match which level would be such in WoD.

There were legends of very childlike vampire beings associated with this God.

Yes, the matter of Tlaloc in aztec myth and religion is a quite colorful one.

If the entity cited in Mexico By Night has any actual relation to the deity(ies), "adopted" the name from certain kindred occultist and what exactly is it capable of or not, well i guess it's up to interpretation on the bits given in the book.

It could be some great, numinous entity or "just" some kindred that spends far too much of its time in non-corporeal form due to Protean, Vicissitude, Obtenebration, or for those with a flair for the dramatic, a combo of either of the previously mentioned disciplines with Thaumaturgy [Weather Control]. All up to what a ST thinks would mess most with its PCs.
                Last edited by Baaldam; 11-01-2019, 10:32 AM.

Comment

Thanks, all. I think I'd just run it as an Eaethbound demon, similar to Kupala, but weaker, as it was dominated by Huitzilopochli.

Comment

Working...
                  X