No announcement yet.

Handing v5 to modiphius was a mistake.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I play Star Trek Adventures so I trust Modiphus.

Author of Cthulhu Armageddon, I was a Teenage Weredeer, Straight Outta Fangton, Lucifer's Star, and the Supervillainy Saga.

Comment

Originally posted by Acopiltaczet View Post
      All of Modiphiu's v5 books are late. They don't do previews. In their Fall of London stream,one of the writers forgot the rules of game.
      White wolf should keep doing it internally or handing it over to opp,only those two truly know the World of Darkness.

The timelines were always expected to be a placeholder. Many game companies don't do previews. Scenario and setting writers (which that guy is) often don't know 100% the rules (and fuck, even Jason Carl ignores/forgets rules from the book in LAbN).

And hey, I'd rather have a Modiphius delay of 'oh we're waiting an additional 6 months' than an OPP 'three years later, still no nothing' delay.

Comment

Originally posted by CTPhipps View Post
        I play Star Trek Adventures so I trust Modiphus.
        I've played Conan, John Carter, Star Trek, and even some Mutant Chronicles. I trust them as well. They may not be on time, but they get development finished, and books printed. Really looking forward to their stuff. I am also looking forward to Cults of the Blood Gods, and the printed Chicago by Night.

Comment

They changed the original release date. I hate when companies do that

This is what leads companies to just never putting out Release dates. V5 came out horribly edited at the very least, not counting any of the offensive bits the first 3 books were so poorly edited I half thought it was done as a Nostalgia piece to early ww books with the numerous returns of "see page X" Anyone who got that printing of the book SHOULD feel pissed for how poor quality it was.

Comment

They didnt know he was that.
            So? It’s easy to not know your brother, co-worker, fellow bowler, whatever, is a rapist.

Once he gets accused, is “Well, I think I know him pretty well, and I’ve never seen him rape someone” really solid enough for you to go to bat for him? Really?
            Last edited by TheCountAlucard; 11-17-2019, 10:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
              Once he gets accused, is “Well, I think I know him pretty well, and I’ve never seen him rape someone” really solid enough for you to go to bat for him? Really?
              I don't think it's unusual for people to give a lot of weight to what they already think or think they know about someone when that person is accused of something, even something terrible. I'm sure that when John Wayne Gacey was arrested and charged, there were plenty of people who 100% thought it was all just a giant misunderstanding... until they started digging up skeletons in the backyard. Hell, there were victims of Larry Nassar's (young women whom he had violated dozens upon dozens of times) who stood behind him basically up until he was being sentenced, and they were very unfortunately forced to confront the fact that someone they had loved, trusted, and thought the world of, had in fact done unspeakable things to them. The thoughts and opinions that someone forms based on their perceived actual lived experiences (such as with working with someone day in and day out for years, and maybe being that person's good friend besides) is going to form an extremely strong opinion or bias--to require that people completely buck that the moment an allegation of wrongdoing is levied is unrealistic and absurd; an impossible standard.

Having said that, I don't think it's unfair to ask or require that people be cognizant, and critical, of that bias when examining the totality of the evidence arrayed against someone. One's opinion of a person based on various experiences with them is (I think) valuable when it comes to assessing their character, but it can only go so far.

Sig

Comment

Originally posted by atamajakki View Post

“People who knew the IP” defended a rapist and published offensive enough content to get their company dissolved. I’m happy to see new blood.
                Which rapist was this? Apologies, this gets a bit confusing, and I am a bit out of touch with which games writer is associated with which terrible behaviour.

Learn more about the hidden history of the British Isles in England Will Burn.

Comment

Originally posted by James_Willoughby View Post

Which rapist was this? Apologies, this gets a bit confusing, and I am a bit out of touch with which games writer is associated with which terrible behaviour.
                  Zak Smith, aka Zak Sabbath.

Comment

Originally posted by Ambrosia View Post
                    V5 Second Edition, when?

*ducks*
                    I regret nothing.

I think it will happen but is more likely to be a "Revised or .5 or something".

I just completed a year long V5 campaign, it was an amazing experience, we all walked away from the table stunned and smiling. V5 worked amazingly, but I will say this. That book is a disorganized cluster-F. Even after using that book for a year 90% of the time we could not find what we were looking for. Everything was always a finding waldo situation where we had 3 guys at the table trying to find some rule or reference we forgot. I mean, whoever the editor of that book was should be staked and left in the sun.

Its so bad that I think a revised edition with better editing is badly needed.

Comment

Originally posted by xguild View Post

I think it will happen but is more likely to be a "Revised or .5 or something".

I just completed a year long V5 campaign, it was an amazing experience, we all walked away from the table stunned and smiling. V5 worked amazingly, but I will say this. That book is a disorganized cluster-F. Even after using that book for a year 90% of the time we could not find what we were looking for. Everything was always a finding waldo situation where we had 3 guys at the table trying to find some rule or reference we forgot. I mean, whoever the editor of that book was should be staked and left in the sun.

Its so bad that I think a revised edition with better editing is badly needed.
                      The V5 PG is probably going to be V5.5, right? One of the promises was that it would allow older versions of Vampire to be played with the new rules.

Comment

Originally posted by adambeyoncelowe View Post

The V5 PG is probably going to be V5.5, right? One of the promises was that it would allow older versions of Vampire to be played with the new rules.
                        That doesn't make it 5.5 it is just adding tools to the toolbox, it is not changing the base system which is already a toolbox edition. We should have more options however to tweak the system to each persons individual needs.

Comment

I think the earliest we can count on a revised version of V5 is after all clans and the Sabbat book are published. That's just common sense. The system itself isn't bad, it's just disorganized. Actually, the foundations are pretty strong. Even the concept of Touchstones can easily be expanded (as Requiem) shows. But with only three books officially published, it's a bit early for a revised edition.

We have the core rulebook, as well as the Camarilla and Anarch guides. Chicago by Night is currently only available to backers. There is a complete manuscript for Cults of the Blood Gods, and a lot of books in the pipeline, among others the Player's Guide, the Fall of London Chronicle, the starter set, and a book about the Second Inquisition. If I were Modiphius, I would wait until at least all of those titles have been published before making any plans for a revised edition. And as far as I know, there has no Sabbat book been announced yet.

Also, a very small caveat: as someone who has been playing Modiphius games for some years now, they aren't the best company at organizing rules. Star Trek Adventures, while fun, suffers from some of the same issues as the V5 corebook. But, so far hardly any company is really stellar at organizing rules. Not even WotC or Paizo.

Comment

I'd like a v2X

V5's a mistake. You know how most people pretend DnD 4e doesn't exist? Do that. Take the few cool ideas... ( Street tags, learning disciplines through blood, Starting with 2/1 in disciplines and.... Is there anything else?) attach them to the logical extension of V20 (Assamites in the cam, Tremere losing their magic monopoly, The Giovanni splintering aught to be a solid as it'd be nice to spread necromancy out more and there's a lot of grounds for it.)

None of this 'and the sabbat and all the elders have packed up and gone to the middle east.' or 'and the cam has gone full stupid' or virtually anything from the V5 metaplot. Bombing the Vienna chantry could maybe stay but the consequences of such would be less severe as a result of, y'know, competence on the part of the most ancient Tremere still around.

V20 is mechanically rather easy to fix.

V5 is not VTM

Comment

I think DAV20 is the most evolved the system got, and would be solid foundation if you continue with a rules kernel that at this time is almost 30 years old. Shadowrun re-invented its dice mechanics in SR4, D&D 5e (hugely successful) is a lot more innovative compared to the older core rules (AD&D 2nd Edition and earlier). Even Cthulhu 7th edition updated a couple of rules elements.

The one thing that I can see improving in V5 is the base competency of the characters which seems to be lower compared with both V20 and Requiem. Also, the XP rate is a bit low. The dice system is solid, and the basic concept of Hunger can easily be applied to Rage, Paradox, Banality etc. Arguably, with Bestial Failures and Messy Criticals, Frenzy isn't a required mechanism anymore. But that's mostly legacy content from earlier versions of the game.

Anyway, there will always be people dissatisfied with a certain gaming experience. But today it's easy to switch back to earlier editions of the game. The back catalog is vast.

The only thing that I would have liked to see would have been OPPs version of the next edition of VtM.
                              Last edited by Murder-of-Crows; 11-18-2019, 02:22 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X