Dark Ages: France By Night

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dark Ages: France By Night

So I recently bought France by Night from Arkane Studios, the studio that has the publishing rights of Vampire in France.
    And I must say that I found the book amazing, a true jewel: good writing, great building and probably some of the best art in the history of Vampire (surely some of the best character portrait ever in the history of the line).

What I was wondering is: how much canon is it?
    Because this is not something that came out from the Storyteller's Vault, but from a studio who has the rights for publishing the World of Darkness in France, so it is quite different.*

*and the difference is also felt through the "scope" of the product. This is not an amateur work by any means, but a true sourcebook, even better than some white wolf classics for Dark Ages.
    Last edited by Undead rabbit; 11-24-2019, 07:03 PM.

If I were to guess; I think it can currently be considered canon. The writers did their research about which Vampire material was published on France so far, used that as their framework. However if future English language Vampire material is being developed that touches on France, those writers quite likely will not keep this book in mind.

Comment

Originally posted by Malkavian87 View Post
      If I were to guess; I think it can currently be considered canon. The writers did their research about which Vampire material was published on France so far, used that as their framework. However if future English language Vampire material is being developed that touches on France, those writers quite likely will not keep this book in mind.
      Modiphius' CEO has said future foreign-language material will be translated, but that's as regarding V5. This book... well, given Arkane currently have the publishing rights for Vampire in France, they're probably going to be doing Paris by Night, and if so I'd be astonished if there weren't references back to France by Night in that; even if FbN never gets translated, Paris by Night will be, and is likely to tacitly establish FbN as future canon.
      Last edited by marin; 11-25-2019, 04:02 AM.

Scion 2E: What We Know - A wiki compiling info on second edition Scion.

Comment

a) In your game whatever you want to use is canon.
        b) I'd consider it canon overall as well, for the reasons you listed

Comment

Originally posted by Undead rabbit View Post
          So I recently bought France by Night from Arkane Studios, the studio that has the publishing rights of Vampire in France.
          And I must say that I found the book amazing, a true jewel: good writing, great building and probably some of the best art in the history of Vampire (surely some of the best character portrait ever in the history of the line).

What I was wondering is: how much canon is it?
          Because this is not something that came out from the Storyteller's Vault, but from a studio who has the rights for publishing the World of Darkness in France, so it is quite different.*

*and the difference is also felt through the "scope" of the product. This is not an amateur work by any means, but a true sourcebook, even better than some white wolf classics for Dark Ages.
          Thanks for the recommendation.I just bought it, and I can see exactly what you mean. My very meager smattering of mostly-forgotten schoolboy French is going to make it very hard work for me, but it'll be worth it. (Alas, I'm not as wonderfully fluent as Officer Crabtree from 'Allo 'Allo ). It's wonderful to see a lot of old friends from the Dark Ages clan novel series brought to life so vividly and beautifully. And the bits I can understand so far (which isn't saying much), all seem to match up perfectly with the Clan Novels and other Dark Ages material from the original line. So my best guess is: a hell of a lot, because it was very clearly using those sources as a basis.

Comment

sounds interesting. so i take it there is no english translation of this book?

Comment

Originally posted by blackshade View Post
              sounds interesting. so i take it there is no english translation of this book?
              Nope, and there isn't one currently planned, either. (Same goes for Arkane's other original V20 Dark Ages book about the Cathar Heresy.)

Comment

I've been looking for it but can't seem to find it, anyway you can add a link to where I can get the book?

Comment

Originally posted by Vladikov View Post
                  I've been looking for it but can't seem to find it, anyway you can add a link to where I can get the book?
                  France by Night's here.
                  And for anyone curious, the Cathar Heresy is here.

Comment

OK, who do we have to bribe to get an English version of this gorgeous looking masterpiece? Name your price Arkane......

Comment

Is a very beautiful book and stunningly illustrated, I would recommend learning french to enjoy it.

Comment

I guess if you had the pdf you could just copy text into Google Translate to get the gist of it.

Comment

Personally, I had taken this book as a defy to return to the abandoned lessons of french at the school. Furthermore, the south of France it is only at 5 hours in train from where I live, in the east of Spain and it is always more enjoyable to read about places you can visit and walk among the scenery of your chronicles. Narbonne and Carcassonne are beautiful cities, the cathedral of Narbonne (the one in the cover) was well maintained, a calm and peaceful place, save for the stone faces of the saints that the revolutionaries broke during the Revolution.

Comment

I read them. I think that is the best "by night" of Dark Ages, with a description of all domains of France, and several ways to explore the game, from fantasy to the historic reality of that time. There a chapter with some information of the other lines: Werewolf, Mage, Wraith, Fae and Inquisitor, ideas for adventures and good ilustrations.

The Chronicle of the Cathare Heresy is similar to the Transylvanian Chronicles, with several episodes in the first half of the century XIII in the South of France.

Comment

Working...
                            X