• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CTPhipps View Post
    Great Bitten
    What you did here, I see it.

Originally posted by CTPhipps View Post
    I never read Vancover's supplement so I have no idea what this is about.
    The situation in Vancouver is not so much an alliance as a détente – the werewolves and the vampires have agreed not to fuck with each other, so long as things stay within a certain balance. The arrangement would not have enough clout to derail a national Pentex deal, but it might handicap Pentex operations in and around Vancouver.

Comment

Funny Footnote: In Hunter's Hunted, there is a Deborah Rose Keller, who is presumably referred to as Edith in Schnoblin's writeup. Seems to be exchanging information with him because they're both preoccupied with taking out... (Church Lady beat) SATAN!

Comment

Chapter Six: Saint Claire Contract

The Saint Claire Contract is an incredible adventure and one that I've run about five times as a Storyteller since it's just incredibly useful. You can do a whole campaign out of this Chronicle and there's a lot of really good moments inside.

The premise of the Chronicle is the SAD have been given the assignment of finding the Nappy Napper, a child-killing serial killer who has struck all across the United States. The Nappy Napper has recently struck again in the small town of Saint Claire and if he follows his pattern then they have only a limited time to rescue the missing child. If they fail to rescue the child then the Nappy Napper will move on and start again.

The SAD is less than comfortable with being subject to a nationally famous media event but have unwittingly lucked out. The Nappy Napper is not a mundane serial killer but a Ronin Garou of the Bone Gnawers. In a world full of monsters with humanity, the Nappy Napper is insane and arguably not responsible for his actions (he's not Wyrm Tainted) but he is one of the most terrible as well as unsympathetic nonetheless.

The SAD has unwittingly stumbled onto a much bigger plot afoot than just the kidnapping and murder of children, as impressive as that may be. Saint Claire is actually a company town run by Pentex Incorporated as a whole. Siren Cosmetics (a subsidiary of Magadon Pharmaceuticals) owns and employs the entirety of the town. Saint Claire is a place with a simmering history of domestic violence, date rape, the regular kind, child abuse, and all the other horrible shit that goes on in small towns without the excuse of being poisoned by Wyrm tainted perfume as well as cologne. When I run the game, I kind of make the place all sorts of slightly "off" with everyone looking like the set of a CW show but uncomfortably covering for each other in obvious yet unpleasant ways.

The local Pentex Manager, despite having corrupted a whole town to the Wyrm (at least in the petty banal way that most towns don't need to be corrupted in), is not someone who has managed to distinguish himself in the eyes of the Board of Directors. He's planning on changing the local head cheerleader, Sharon Miller, into an Enticer--which is basically a Formori version of a Succubus. This will be a genuine coup and Sharon is mostly all for it because while she's not evil (yet), she will do anything to escape small town life.

Complicating things even further is the fact the Garou Nation is aware the Nappy Napper is a member of their race and has come to do what Garou do best by murdering the shit out of him. Were Pentex's General Manager smarter, they would just let them kill it and move on but he's assumed they're coming here for HIM. As a result, he's called in a Pentex First Team, which includes an ex-CIA assassin and people with records somewhere between "drug cartel assassin" and "famous domestic terrorist." You know, the kind of people Pentex employs but knows Garou don't care about--but, say, a bunch of FBI agents would.

It's a free for all that can generally end multiple ways but really benefits if the player characters explore every angle and possibility.

A typical ending for the game at my table is:

* The player characters don't kill the Nappy Napper but the Get of Fenris pack does then leaves the FBI to zip up the body and claim credit. They wouldn't normally do this but leaving the Nappy Napper is actually less dangerous than the alternative of people thinking their children are a threat at his hands.
        * The player characters learn about the existence of Pentex but can't prove anything other than a major corporation is conducting experiments on a town with something hinky.
        * Sharon Miller either escapes into the public as a shapeshifting beauty, is killed by the Garou, or is recruited by the FBI as a potential asset.
        * The Pentex First Team will be killed either by the player characters or the Garou.
        * The player characters get some more information about the Garou and the fact, SHOCKINGLY, that Nordic white people can be werewolves too.
        * The Pentex General Manager will panic more and possibly attempt to turn over all of his information on Pentex to the PCs for protection. He'll either be killed by the Garou or, if they succeed in getting him, killed by Martin Fisk. The SAD is no sanctuary from Pentex.

The game actually says if the PCs try to expose Siren Cosmetics that they will have it backfire as revealing that perfume and cologne has mind-altering properties will only send their sales through the roof.
        Last edited by CTPhipps; 12-21-2019, 07:48 PM.

Author of Cthulhu Armageddon, I was a Teenage Weredeer, Straight Outta Fangton, Lucifer's Star, and the Supervillainy Saga.

Forum Terms of Use
        the Contact Us link.

Comment

And that is PROJECT: TWILIGHT!

Now for the final reviews and Overview.
          Last edited by CTPhipps; 12-22-2019, 12:41 AM.

Author of Cthulhu Armageddon, I was a Teenage Weredeer, Straight Outta Fangton, Lucifer's Star, and the Supervillainy Saga.

Forum Terms of Use
          the Contact Us link.

Comment

Chapter Five: Storytelling Review

I feel like the organization for this chapter was pretty off to be honest. They cover a lot of stuff that was alluded to in previous chapters when they should have included that information in the original write ups of the SAD and NSA. I'm of the mind that the CIA also got screwed and should have included its own chapter rather than getting lumped into Other Agencies. The fact international agencies is in the Storytelling Chapter rather than the Other Agencies is also a serious flaw, especially since the write-ups aren't even about other agencies but a somewhat general "these supernaturals control these countries" sort of thing.

I think the write-ups for the SAD heads were pretty good, though, and they're all interesting characters. I also feel like the NSA got shafted there because we should have character sheets for the major characters there as well. Yes, it might have made the book a good deal bigger but I don't think six or so NPCs would have significantly changed things.

I feel like the information on how to run the campaigns was pretty good, though, and it was entertaining when it was discussing the possible angles which you can approach these kind of stories. Are all monsters evil? Does it matter? Is security better than freedom? Also, is your agency a friend or a foe? I think an obvious problem with the book is it never touches on the possibility of a subject moving from loyalty to their government to loyalty to a supernatural faction. I feel like a storyline that is obvious (to me at least) would be a agent switching from loyalty to America to loyalty to the Technocracy, Pentex, Camarilla, or possibly even Garou.

If you can't beat em, join em.

I hope we see at least some of these characters show up in V5 but it should be noted plenty of them are in their late forties to begin with so the fact that it's 20 years later means most of them would no longer be involved in this sort of thing anyway. The exceptions might be those who were made immortal by vampirism, ghoul blood, or Pentex tinkering. Cynthia Forest could also have Awakened and become a full blown Man in Black by now (or perhaps been cloned since she's a perfect template for a Woman in Black "model").

Forum Terms of Use
            the Contact Us link.

Comment

One of the Pentex lackeys is also based off of Shaggy Rogers, if Shaggy were into meth (both cooking and using) instead of strongly hinted as just having munchies from pot. Hilariously, you'll also need to make any silver-coated weapons that show up in the scenario into actual silver, or else they'll only be good for one or two hits or contacts with another weapon (presuming that you're using PCs where this is a factor).

As a modern day remix, you could also have a nest of Nagah show up in Saint Claire because of shit that the Garou allowed to go sideways. Cleaning up those sorts of messes is their thing, after all, and they could make an interesting foil to SAD agents, being both cautious and clandestine about their motives and purpose for being in town.

Comment

Chapter Six: The Saint Claire Contract

The Saint Claire Contract is what I think is the single best part of the supplement and, ironically, most Werewolf-relevant part of the book. As mentioned, I really liked it when I first read it and it introduced me to Twin Peaks. The classic David Lynch cult classic about an FBI agent investigating the murder of a local cheerleader and the discovery of the ugly underbelly of the town that related to drugs, prostitution, plus abusive family relationships. Its the perfect thing to watch before running this game.

I think this adventure works really well because it's actually more of a sandbox than anything else. The player characters pretty much have complete freedom to do whatever they want or follow up any leads once they arrive in town. It's entirely possible for them to focus entirely on the Nappy Napper or get distracted from the case of a kidnapped child by the possible "Big Prize" of discovering Pentex is a thing.

I like the fact that the SAD is basically wandering into a stereotypical Werewolf adventure where the Werewolf "PCs" would normally just kill the Ronin Garou and fuck up Pentex a bit before leaving the city. But the SAD represents some other possibilities. They might be able to potentially strike at Pentex (in Trump's America? Probably not. In Clinton's? Perhaps). If nothing else, I could easily see Pentex shutting down the plant and withdrawing. So the players have the wonderful achievement of destroying an entire town's livelihood...and maybe saving its soul.

I also am a big fan of Sharon Miller as a character and like the way I use her in my games. Sometimes she tries to seduce the Agents, sometimes she's vulnerable, and sometimes she is a teenager. Like Laura Palmer, a character of many potential layers. Hopefully, the FBI agents are not going to take 18 as a invitation because, well, Enticers will eat your soul man.
                No happy ending there.

There's a vision quest too that's a little ridiculous that talks about how the Natives of Saint Claire were massacred by the White Man and it's left a cursed caern. That's not the ridiculous part, it's the fact that their vision quest will have J Edgar Hoover in a cocktail dress leading them. Lots of fun crazy bits in this adventure.

And as stated, SHAGGY is actually one of the Pentex First Team. He also has Spewey Doo with him.

Forum Terms of Use
                the Contact Us link.

Comment

Overall

I think Project: Twilight is a fantastic supplement that, sadly, has not aged well. So much is different about our relationship to intelligence agencies, conspiracy theories, and government power since 9/11 as well as our international relationships that this is definitely a book frozen in time. It's difficult to imagine a time when terrorism would not be a concern for a government agency or how they dealt with a supernatural threat but the subject is never brought up in PT.

The Department of Homeland Security obviously didn't exist during this time and there's almost no information sharing between departments. In a modern world, the CIA, NSA, and SAD would all be sharing information. V20 addressed the SAD being reincorporated back into the mainstream FBI in HUNTERS HUNTED II while forcing them to deal primarily with serial killers (which made a better than even chance of dealing with the supernatural though) as well as make them more like Millennium than the X-Files.

We also have a very different relationship with our international allies and associates. The FSB, C-SIS, SIS, Mossad, NCIS, and other organizations are all things that your average American knows about now. They may have wildly inaccurate ideas about them and what they do but they are things that also share information as well as resources to a much greater degree than depicted here. In that kind of environment, you have something like the Second Inquisition as something easy to believe coming about.

On the other hand, I think the layers of conspiracy described here also make it unlikely that the Second Inquisition wouldn't be infiltrated and subverted from the get go. The Technocracy suffered a pretty hard jolt by the Avatar Storm and the Camarilla got sucker punched by the Beckoning as well as Convention of Prague (as well as losing Washington D.C) but I see Pentex as keeping a lid on things. So would every other major faction.

The players may change but the rules of "just say no to Muggles" never do.

I recommend, until THE SECOND INQUISITION supplement comes out, that people pick up a copy of this book as it'll help a great deal. I also hope the writers of it at Modiphius draw from it as they could do far worse.

Forum Terms of Use
                  the Contact Us link.

Comment

Did the topic of ECHELON/"Five Eyes" come up in this thread at some point? That's the five way intelligence sharing arrangement that exists between the U.S., Australia, Canada, New Zealand, and the UK in the real world. Member countries get around their own laws that protect the privacy of citizens against government surveillance, by spying on one another's citizens and then simply trading information.

Anyhow, the international nature of it makes it seem like something that would have vampire sect or mage convention backing in the WoD.

Comment

• Originally posted by Reasor View Post
                      Did the topic of ECHELON/"Five Eyes" come up in this thread at some point? That's the five way intelligence sharing arrangement that exists between the U.S., Australia, Canada, New Zealand, and the UK in the real world. Member countries get around their own laws that protect the privacy of citizens against government surveillance, by spying on one another's citizens and then simply trading information.

Anyhow, the international nature of it makes it seem like something that would have vampire sect or mage convention backing in the WoD.
                      I don't think it did or at least in any large capacity. Thanks for mentioning this!

Forum Terms of Use
                      the Contact Us link.

Comment

• The original "Star Chamber" was...

Originally posted by wikipedia
                        The Star Chamber was originally established to ensure the fair enforcement of laws against socially and politically prominent people so powerful that ordinary courts would probably hesitate to convict them of their crimes. However, it became synonymous with social and political oppression through the arbitrary use and abuse of the power it wielded.
                        Given that origin for the term, I can see it being used to describe the leadership of the S.I. before it is used to described a circle of powerful rich people.

Comment

• Should I do Anarchs Unbound, The Anarchs, or wait for Chicago Folio next?

Forum Terms of Use
                          the Contact Us link.

Comment

• Anarchs Unbound. It will show a shift in how Anarchs are depicted to cover that book and the later Anarchs book.

Comment

• Originally posted by Grumpy RPG Reviews View Post
                              Given that origin for the term, I can see it being used to describe the leadership of the S.I. before it is used to described a circle of powerful rich people.
                              Mind you, the Star Chamber was notoriously corrupt to the point that it was used as a synonym for injustice for centuries so you could also make that the case. There was a Michael Douglas movie where a group of judges hired hitmen to take care of criminals who beat the system.

Originally posted by Grumpy RPG Reviews View Post
                              Anarchs Unbound. It will show a shift in how Anarchs are depicted to cover that book and the later Anarchs book.
                              Agreed.

Forum Terms of Use
                              the Contact Us link.

Comment

• I remember when I re-read Project Twilight I get the same feeling that I get from alot of the human-themed supplements(1) is that there's always alot of potential there, but it's never fully developed as it should be. In some ways I feel like HtR was an attempt to tie all that together but even it felt.. 'unfinished' in much that same way. It underscores alot of that untapped, hidden potential for humanity if it pulls itself together but just never coalesces because it doesn't reach the sort of 'critical mass' it needs (supernatural interference from various factions certainly don't help, as Project Twilight reminds us.) Heck, we even got indications in Gehenna about the 'sleeping giant' that humanity is if confronted with supernatural threats (at least as long as the really ancient vampires like the Antediluvians weren't in play). We also got some hints about that in HtR's 'First Contact' which also dealt with various factions (Inquisition, Arcanum, Project Twilight and what happens when the Imbued encountered them.)

That's why I'll be interested to see how the second Inquisition evolves because there's a LOT of loose threads like that to draw upon.

(1) hunters hunted, Halls of the Arcanum, Quick and the Dead.. but not the Sorcerer one. Inquisition is fairly stand alone, but it felt alot more like it could have been another Hunters Hunted.

Comment

Working...
                                X