What do you think of Veil of Night?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you think of Veil of Night?

I’m thinking about maybe buying it. Can you tell me anything about it? Does it tie into any of the stuff in Cainite Heresy?

It is a far far better thing I do than I have ever done... Sidney Carton’s last line before he goes to the guillotine to save Lucie

It will have many story seeds for a V5 chronicle if you plan to run a Beckoning story (even though it is Dark Ages).

It is essentially Guide to the Ashirra, it covers Almoravid Spain (pre-Reconquista), Egypt, the Arabian peninsula and the middle east, their morality roads/paths, but doesn't have much to do with the Cainite Heresy. It has Damascus by Night in it's appendix.

I highly recommend it, it is really good.

- Saga

Comment

I enjoyed it quite a bit too, I'm totally planning to eventually use the Ashirra in a game.

Comment

Originally posted by Saga View Post
        It will have many story seeds for a V5 chronicle if you plan to run a Beckoning story (even though it is Dark Ages).
        Which particular parts, out of curiosity?

Comment

A) Suleiman ibn Abdullah, he is the head of the Ashirra and Lasombra.

B) Damascus. If you know the history, Annazir will be slayed later but so too will be the Prince, leaving Mannal as the most probable candidate to the seat of Sultan, Damascus is among the two oldest longer inhabitated cities in the world, therefore it's importance to the Ashirra. It's a perfect setting for receiving Beckoned kindred.

C) Samarkand is where the tomb of Ulugh Begh (the king, astronomer and also childe of Meerlinda) remains. This is the most likely place for Meerlinda's lineage to be, or perhaps establish House Meerlinda from here. The city is covered in the book.

This are some I can think of it at the moment, if I dig into it, I believe there are many more.

- Saga

Comment

@saga thank you 😊

It is a far far better thing I do than I have ever done... Sidney Carton’s last line before he goes to the guillotine to save Lucie

Comment

In my opinion, The Veil of Night is the best supplement for Dark ages, by far. Introducing a new by Night, a new sect with a new view of the curse and new perspectives of the existing clans that are very interesting concepts. I have played the Damascus chronicle as storyteller, the fall of the Prince, the rise of the Baali and the fight for the faith of the city were very interesting hooks. But also, I found a Ravnos family with I could work comfortably, an apocalyptic cult of the Gehenna (christian mainly), who does not have nothing in common with gypsies or criminals in any way.

I enjoyed very much the books that introduced new ways of play, The Veil of Night, like Victorian Age Vampire, have the feeling of a different game even in the same universe we are playing. And, furthermore, is not hard to tie with the European setting. The muslims were not uncommon in the Mediterranean countries. Fortunately, most of the ideas of The Veil of Night were developed later in El Cairo by Night for the Masquerade setting.

I have admiration for both Suleiman and Phillipe Boulle, developers of this books. And the last, author of the Victorian age trilogy, in my opinion, the best novels of Vampire masquerade, that I have read.
              Last edited by Justycar; 12-01-2019, 05:50 PM.

Comment

Updated: I love Veil of Night!!! Much better than Jerusalem by Night. I have a question though. Is there any connection between the Beckoning and the Keening that emanates from Mecca?

Comment

Originally posted by Penelope View Post
                  Updated: I love Veil of Night!!! Much better than Jerusalem by Night. I have a question though. Is there any connection between the Beckoning and the Keening that emanates from Mecca?
                  While there's nothing stopping a Storyteller from establishing a connection if they want to surprise their players, the Keening and the Beckoning are two very different things in canon.

The Keening is a True Faith-based effect, centered in Mecca, Saudi Arabia, that drives vampires away from the holy city. The Keening seems to be associated with the Black Stone housed within the Kaaba. The Beckoning is a call emanating from Syria, which pulls Elders to that country. The standard interpretation of the Beckoning is that the elders are being drafted to fight for their ancient sires.

Comment

Originally posted by Reasor View Post
                    The Keening is a True Faith-based effect, centered in Mecca, Saudi Arabia, that drives vampires away from the holy city. The Keening seems to be associated with the Black Stone housed within the Kaaba.
                    I'm not sure the Keening could even viably have a place in V5.

With the emphasis on the role of the Ashirra being significantly increased compared to previous editions, I get the impression it wouldn't work to then have to say "oh, yeah, also the ninety-plus percent of the Ashirra who follow Islam can't go anywhere near their own holy city because there's this weird true faith wind shit going on."

Comment

Reasor Syria? Thanks.

GilbyTheFat so if you were using the Ashirra, you would just dump the Keening altogether? I’m not running the game, and if I did run anything it would probably be the Jacobite Rebellion because I’m really into Outlander right now, but one of my friends is thinking about playing an Ashirra.

Comment

I would not take apart the Keening, geographically is only limited to Mecca and it is important to the history and development of the Ashirra. Furthermore, the spiritual core of the Ashirra, the nosferatus al-Hajj, are defined by his resistance to the Keening due to their pious behaviour. As Acre was in Dark Ages Vampire, having most of a city unnaccessible to vampire does not stop them plotting in it, and still you can use ghouls inside. Anyway, the Keening seems unimportant in a game setting based on the Jacobite rebellion. Furthermore, I would ask your player why a faithful and pious muslim in the Ashirra wanted to interfere in this war. Is he plotting against some ancient vampire sit in the throne of London? Is he a mercenary or a spy?

About the Beckoning, think in the antiquity of thousands of years old vampire, they do not event probably meet Christianity and lslam, they do not have much in common with their modern "broods" of Ashirra. Surely, the Keening is strange and uncomprehensible at their eyes. That is reflected in the assassination of Jamal, leader of the Banu Haquim, at the hands of Ur Shulgi, the ancient child of Haquim, when Ur Shuldi demanded that Jamal had to deny their Muslim faith and to only praise Haquim.

Comment

Originally posted by Penelope View Post
                          GilbyTheFat so if you were using the Ashirra, you would just dump the Keening altogether?
                          Pretty much.

Comment

Justycar hmmm. That’s a good point. I’ll ask her. She’s kinda new to gaming and maybe she didn’t think that through.

Comment

GilbyTheFat I just read the part in Veil of Night about the Mutasharid (Nosferatu). Some Kindred (probably ones with True Faith) can survive the Keening and even live in Mecca.

My friend is Muslim, which is why she wants to play an Ashirra. Like I said, she’s new to gaming, so she wants to start with a character who’s at least somewhat similar to who she really is.

Comment

Working...
                              X