Crazy and Mundane Headcanons for V5

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by CTPhipps View Post
    * In Ancient Times, vampires often were considered somewhat less malevolent than they are today. A god that demands blood sacrifices, keeps harems of slaves, and is prone to murderous temper tantrums IS a typical god to most cultures. Vampires also did things like controlled the weather, kept away werewolves in the Impergium, and had the few powers capable of healing the sick or injured. Carthage, Mithras, and other vampires come from this view that is less "vampires are damned and dirty forever." It also, mind you, backfired in some places as we see with some of the bloodiest and most evil gods (Kronos getting diablerized by Zeus for example).

* Alexander the Great, of all people, helped bring about the end of the age of the god kings. In this reality actually being a demigod (or believing he was a demigod so much he became one) and destroyed dozens of local vampire despots. His generals turned against him when he was either Embraced or they received offers of power that trumped their loyalty.
    This sounds like you could consider it a westernized version of Yi the Archer who was the creator of the Shih and also a mage (or a hedge magician at least) who didn't know he was tapping into magical power for the amazing things he did (like killing other supernaturals.) Given a 'fractured cosmos' view of things, you could see them being different 'aspects' of the same entity muddled by time and myth.

Alternately a superhuman Alexander might work well with the idea of being some super-Imbued (the ancient heroes and their blood wre more powerful than the modern, weaker 'hunters')

Or you could just take a page from Reign the Conqueror. That was fairly supernatural and that Alexander was pretty crazy.

* During Medieval times there was a genuine bunch of supernatural soldiers wandering around the world doing the Arthurian thing than there ever was during real life. They fought witches, vampires, and trolls while sometimes also being witches, vampires, and trolls. Sadly, the conflict among them resulted in supernaturals being weakened enough for the Inquisition to slaughter the majority of "good" supernaturals and slander their name. Now the very idea of vampire Pilgrim Knights and so on is derided by even those who are descended from them.
    This seems to be begging for a crossover between a Grail Knight and their ghouls, a couple of Salubri, some Changelings, and some mages.

You could possibly even throw in the proto-Imbued that became Inquisitors in the Dark Ages (maybe a couple were part of this supernatural Knights of the Round Table, only to leave it and join the Church and Inquisition and forge the Dark Ages Inquisitors.)

* There was a steampunk League of Extraordinary Gentleman style period and fantastical Wild West in the 19th century that was far in excess of what happened in RL. Lots more outlaw towns, violent showdowns, and so on than ever was in reality. The Technocracy won against local native wizards and people with the help of the Camarilla, signalling the downfall of traditional power structures of indigenous people and the rise of a world-wide union--or so they thought. Eventually, they were driven out but the scars they left lasted lifetimes and left people no longer believing in their local heroes. Yes, there's a pattern of heroics getting smashed down, why do you ask?
    If we're going the route of LxG and Steampunk why not make it more European vs American? Sort of a supernatural version of the American revolution. American kindred might be proto-Anarchs (or perhaps the proto-Sabbat migrated in large numbers to America to form their own base of operations and get away from the stuck up Euro Camarilla) and they're busy trying to forge some sort of settlement among other supernaturals (werewolf already had a wild west setting, and steampunk is just begging for the Sons of Ether.)

IIRC the technocracy of this time aren't as fully established (or rigid) as they become later, so they might be more unwitting pawns for the Euro Camarilla in trying to wage war/conquer the Americas.

Also Sherlock Holmes should meet the WoD Dracula. Somehow. For even bigger pulp and steampunkiness make him a Time travelling Detective with lightning powers.
    Last edited by Mister_Dunpeal; 01-14-2020, 11:43 PM.

Comment

• Various horror fictions in our world may be treated as documentaries or dramatic reenactments of events in the WoD. These include Nightmare on Elm Street, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, the podcast The White Vault, and the novel Carrie.

Comment

• Originally posted by Grumpy RPG Reviews View Post
        Various horror fictions in our world may be treated as documentaries or dramatic reenactments of events in the WoD. These include Nightmare on Elm Street, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, the podcast The White Vault, and the novel Carrie.
        That's basically the premise of THE RISE OF LESLIE VERNON. Slashers are a real thing even if no one believes they're supernatural.

Author of Cthulhu Armageddon, I was a Teenage Weredeer, Straight Outta Fangton, Lucifer's Star, and the Supervillainy Saga.

Comment

Various horror fictions in our world may be treated as documentaries or dramatic reenactments of events in the WoD. These include Nightmare on Elm Street, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, the podcast The White Vault, and the novel Carrie.
          I dunno, Leatherface and Freddie would fit better in CofD, I think. White Vault I can see as an Imbued-affiliated underground network. Carrie... either a nascent psychic or a hedge witch would be my guess.

Comment

• I've used slashers in a WoD game before. They're a perfect fit.

That's an interesting thought so far as marrying them with the Imbued, though. Both have the same "functionally human, but more than human" shtick going for them. And as of CofD 2e, hunters who really lose it are supposed to become slashers.

Blood and Bourbon, my New Orleans-based Vampire chronicle.

Comment

• On that tangent, some more CofD ideas stolen for WoD:

Marcus Vitel is one of my favorite NPCs, but his bio felt like he spent 2,000 years twiddling his thumbs until he got to be prince of D.C. There's a ton of possible history in his unlife to fill in. One chapter: Requiem for Rome floats the idea that amidst the endless succession of 3rd century emperors who bribed the Praetorian Guard to kill the current emperor and make them the new emperor, there's a vampire who simply ghouls the Praetorian Guard and declares himself emperor. Guess who? Marcus Vitel. This is the same vampire who wants to start a nuclear war to kill the Antediluvians, so "ridiculously over the top" is his MO.

Vitel naturally believed his rule wouldn't go unopposed, but he figured the methuselahs in Rome's Eternal Senate were tired of the caesars dying practically the day they seized the throne, and would appreciate a more stable immortal emperor who was still "young" (Vitel was ~200) and inexperienced enough for them to manipulate. Only, after sweet-talking the Eternal Senate, Vitel neglected to mention he had no plans on being anyone's pawn. Power went to his head and he tried to play the various methuselahs against one another before they finally tired of his games, decided Vitel as emperor wasn't working out, and united to depose him. He barely fled with his unlife, but swore that ultimate power would again be his.

Also, that he'd get to call himself "emperor" again some night too...

Blood and Bourbon, my New Orleans-based Vampire chronicle.

Comment

• Originally posted by Logothétēs View Post
                I dunno, Leatherface and Freddie would fit better in CofD, I think. White Vault I can see as an Imbued-affiliated underground network. Carrie... either a nascent psychic or a hedge witch would be my guess.
                My points were A. the WoD is a deeply toxic and dangerous place, full of hateful predators, B vampires are not the only predator about and plenty of the others will utterly fuck up any vampires they encounter.

Edit: If I had to nail everything down in terms of game mechanics, Michael Myers is imbued, Leatherface is not he just has a support system in the form of his family, Jason is some manner of fomori or spectre driven risen, and Kruger is a spectre. So, out of that, only one is imbued.
                Last edited by Grumpy RPG Reviews; 01-15-2020, 04:04 PM.

Comment

• A swift adaptation:

* Jason Voorhees: Risen

* Freddy: Specter with Dream Manipulation

* Michael Meyers: Human (he's just really really evil)

Author of Cthulhu Armageddon, I was a Teenage Weredeer, Straight Outta Fangton, Lucifer's Star, and the Supervillainy Saga.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mister_Dunpeal View Post
                    This sounds like you could consider it a westernized version of Yi the Archer who was the creator of the Shih and also a mage (or a hedge magician at least) who didn't know he was tapping into magical power for the amazing things he did (like killing other supernaturals.) Given a 'fractured cosmos' view of things, you could see them being different 'aspects' of the same entity muddled by time and myth.

Alternately a superhuman Alexander might work well with the idea of being some super-Imbued (the ancient heroes and their blood wre more powerful than the modern, weaker 'hunters')
                    Mind you, I've always had the idea of Mages being the secret "protectors of humanity" and their powers manifesting in different ways as well. A mage who believes themselves to be a god has potential power well beyond that. But so is a Super-Imbued as well. I actually have introduced Imbued into my games as humans possessed by Demon: The Fallen-esque Angels but the Redemption obsessed ones. Basically, I don't go with normal rules but make them FUCKING TERRIFYING.

Like you're playing V:TM and then suddenly Simon Belmont shows up and starts throwing glowing crosses and swinging a whip made of fire.

Or you could just take a page from Reign the Conqueror. That was fairly supernatural and that Alexander was pretty crazy.
                    I wouldn't be surprised if there weren't other figures every bit as important as Alexander in overthrowing vampire god kings but it certainly is how it's remembered among Europe and many Middle Eastern Kindred in my games.

This seems to be begging for a crossover between a Grail Knight and their ghouls, a couple of Salubri, some Changelings, and some mages.
                    Indeed.

You could possibly even throw in the proto-Imbued that became Inquisitors in the Dark Ages (maybe a couple were part of this supernatural Knights of the Round Table, only to leave it and join the Church and Inquisition and forge the Dark Ages Inquisitors.)
                    The Imbued showing up in the Inquisition is a pretty easy and interesting merging actually as it would go a long way to exposing why so many vampires could be found and destroyed. While I think humans are perfectly capable of destroying the undead and this is why I support the Second Inquisition (just to show, "yes, this is why the Masquerade exists"), you could easily have hunters with the Sight show up and slaughter many many supernaturals then go away when their numbers are reduced.

If we're going the route of LxG and Steampunk why not make it more European vs American? Sort of a supernatural version of the American revolution. American kindred might be proto-Anarchs (or perhaps the proto-Sabbat migrated in large numbers to America to form their own base of operations and get away from the stuck up Euro Camarilla) and they're busy trying to forge some sort of settlement among other supernaturals (werewolf already had a wild west setting, and steampunk is just begging for the Sons of Ether.)

IIRC the technocracy of this time aren't as fully established (or rigid) as they become later, so they might be more unwitting pawns for the Euro Camarilla in trying to wage war/conquer the Americas.
                    Mainly because I was envisioning native mystics as the kind of people who'd love to fight the Comstocks and their flying cities of the world. Local heroes trying to do battle against imperialism and oppression. But sure, you could do that too.
                    Last edited by CTPhipps; 01-15-2020, 09:27 PM.

Comment

• Stephen King died at an early age from a spider bite. He never wrote any novels and no one replaced him.
                      • J.R.R. Tolkien died from an illness during WWI. He never wrote any novels and no one replaced him.
                      • Paulo Coelho, Mitch Albom, Jim Henson, Jerry Siegel, Joe Shuster, Boss Ross, George Lucas, Gene Roddenberry, Stan Lee, Dave Arneson, John Muir, Chico Mendez, and Billy Wilder all died – often murdered at a young age – before they ever made any contributions to society or culture.
                      • However, Walt Disney, Gary Gygax, Bob Kane, Frank Miller, John Norman and Uwe Boll all went on to long lives working for one Pentex subsidiary or another and all continue to make major contributions to society.

Comment

• Stephen King died at an early age from a spider bite. He never wrote any novels and no one replaced him.
                        • J.R.R. Tolkien died from an illness during WWI. He never wrote any novels and no one replaced him.
                        • Paulo Coelho, Mitch Albom, Jim Henson, Jerry Siegel, Joe Shuster, Boss Ross, George Lucas, Gene Roddenberry, Stan Lee, Dave Arneson, John Muir, Chico Mendez, and Billy Wilder all died – often murdered at a young age – before they ever made any contributions to society or culture.
                        • However, Walt Disney, Gary Gygax, Bob Kane, Frank Miller, John Norman and Uwe Boll all went on to long lives working for one Pentex subsidiary or another and all continue to make major contributions to society.
                        Walt Disney is, according to Los Angeles by Night, a member of the Technocracy.

Comment

• Walter was totally capable of selling out and trying to get two paychecks at one time.

Comment

Walter was totally capable of selling out and trying to get two paychecks at one time.
                            Technically, it could be canon if he was a member of the Syndicate Special Projects Division. That invokes some terrifying visions of a Disney-esque Labyrinth with broken animatronics and soul eating cartoons.

Comment

• LA by Night (the book) really did miss a lot of opportunities.

Comment

• Originally posted by CTPhipps View Post
                                That invokes some terrifying visions of a Disney-esque Labyrinth with broken animatronics and soul eating cartoons.
                                Ah, I see you too have been on the It's a Small World ride!

Comment

Working...
                                X