Crazy and Mundane Headcanons for V5

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by CTPhipps View Post
    a bunch of guys in an old castle and even that's pretty damn weird.
    I'm sure the old-money Kindred dynasties of aristocratic Toreador and Ventrue in Europe would beg to disagree

Comment

• I think of the Inconnu work as vampire illuminati who are quietly trying to shift politics their way with reasons and methods only elders would understand.
      I've never had them show up in a game, because they're doing their jobs right.

The TBH in the shadow umbra is... interesting.
      On the one hand, it's pulpy wank
      On the other hand, it works perfectly within the context of the World of Darkness.

V5 is not VTM

Comment

• This may not qualify as headcannon as I think at least part of this is what has been hinted at in the V5 writing.

Regarding the Beconing and Gehenna being a system the 3rd generation has set up to start the generation cycle over again at 4th every 4 or 5 millennium so that they will always have available food. Thus I believe the vampires of the 4th generation today are simply what's left of the previous crop of vampires who ate their way to the top but its been so long they've forgotten the previous Gehenna. The only problem is now with the technology of the 21st century it throws a variable the 3rd generation has never had to contend with before.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gryffon15 View Post
          So I've recently been thinking about the late Middle Ages and basically what vampire's backyard, Europe, looked like during the lead-up to the creation of the sects. So, hope people find this interesting as it's something of a fusion of canon and historically inspired headcanon:
          I did a number of like changes for my TC game. Key points I can name off hand:

The Lasombra and Toreador are actually responsible for the Inquisition, the Lasombra weaponizing the Church to wage the Shadow Reconquista and the Toreador jumping the bandwagon during the Albigensian Crusade. They taught the Church how to hunt and destroy vampires, believing they could control the Church...not so much. Enough mortals slipped the leash the Inquisition grew beyond control.

The Inquisition's ace in the hole against vampires was...bureaucracy and logistics. Quasi-modern investigatory techniques, fastidious record-keeping, internal policing, and extensive written correspondence made the organization all but impervious to the myriad of illusory and mind-controlling tricks upon which Cainites relied to maintain the Silence of the Blood. The Church's internal structure provided an adequate basis to build a supply network, and as such Inquisitors were rarely caught without the tools, intelligence, and support they required to hunt and track vampires.

The Tremere were actually exceptionally effective at fighting the Inquisition. Who better to war against a bureaucratized foe which relied upon a complex and robust supply network, than a clan steeped in bureaucracy from before their founding? Their ability to counter the Inquisition was what cemented their standing in Cainite society, at a time when they were universally reviled...that is, until the clan's discovery in the wake of the Templar's fall from grace, and the Inquisition leaned on mortal mages to counter Thaumaturgy.

The Western Schism was the end result of a Toreador/Ventrue plot to destroy the Church from within, ending the Inquisition threat. Didn't exactly work out as planned, that.

The Plague was a bigger contributing factor to the Anarch Revolt than the actual Inquisition. Sires throwing childer under the bus, childer doing the same to one another, and the low clans getting screwed was just a part of Cainite unlife. The Inquisition was just another version of the status quo. A severe case of food poisoning, however? shit's getting real.

The earliest Ventrue antitribu were Knights of Blood who sought a way to break the blood bond, paralleling the Tzimisce Anarchs. Their means of doing so...differed. They discovered a Salubri methuselah the Tremere missed, and struck a Faustian bargain: the methuselah would break their bonds, but they would swear an oath on behalf of themselves and entire lineages that during the Final Nights they would rise up as one to aid in the destruction of the Salubri's enemies. That was the genesis of the antitribu bloodline and some even learned Warrior Valeren from the deal, and the Prayer to St. Gustav is a bastardization of the original oath sworn by those Ventrue to the Salubri.

Not that many are aware of it by the Convention of Thorns, but the Sabbat is named after...shoes. Not just any shoe, but really shitty wooden shoes associated with peasantry and poverty. To put it in context, imagine if one night out of nowhere Anarchs started calling themselves Crocs. Not exactly difficult to understand why the nascent Camarilla didn't take them seriously.
          Last edited by Theodrim; 01-31-2020, 01:06 PM.

Comment

• I always preferred the idea of Arikel and Malkav being twins like they mentioned in the really early VTM stuff. I think it makes sense, especially if you've seen Matthew Dawkins' video on the Toreador that shows them to be a little insane in their own way.

Check out my DriveThruRPG books at: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse....=Carrie%20Kube

Comment

• I think the True Black Hand work better if they're based out of the Shadowlands of Ur, Babylon, Carthage, Jericho, or some other ancient city. "Crazy vampires hiding in the Underworld who've actually probably lost the Jyhad and just can't admit it" is a fun concept to me, but I prefer a First City that's more shrouded in myth and legend than "hey, you can visit its reflection in the Underworld anytime if you're part of this club." Some stuff you want to keep in the shadows. Just finding the First City in the Underworld, if it's even there at all (I also didn't like how the True Black Hand confirmed its existence and implicitly confirmed all other Noddist myths), should be an adventure if not chronicle in of itself. It could be pretty deep in the Tempest, if not the Labyrinth, and who knows what it might look like now or what creatures might have moved in. I like the idea that the WoD's metaphysics worked on a fundamentally different level before the Great Flood, when anything was possible and Paradox essentially didn't exist. Relics from that era might not "translate" into modern reality seamlessly...

I like the Inconnu and appreciated how Revised left them open for GMs to develop. I'm normally a so-so fan of "toolbox" characters like Nerissa Blackwater, but this was a group whose members and even plots were relatively fleshed out. Only their motives were really still in question. When so many other corners of the WoD had been extensively detailed, the Inconnu remained a giant question mark in a setting that's supposed to be about mystery and fear of the unknown. I know what the Inconnu are in my setting and it's been fun for players to theorize on that vs. just looking it up on the WWWiki.

Blood and Bourbon, my New Orleans-based Vampire chronicle.

Comment

• SECT GEOGRAPHY OF EUROPE

In the aftermath of the Convention of Thorns in the final decade of the 1400s, which bridged the late Middle Ages and the early Modern Era. The Convention of Thorns marked the end of the War of Princes as well as the First Anarch Revolt.

European kindred congregated primarily to two sects or remained autarkis. The Camarilla was formed during the Convention of Thorns and brought back childer and elders into line by guaranteeing certain rights and privileges for them both with the rest forming the militant Sabbat sect and the Anarch Movement going into remission.

•Northern Europe (Scandinavia)
                -Scandinavia was a land of division. It was decided between the new domains of so-called civilizations and the old domains of so-called savage old ways. Scandinavia had perhaps more autarkis then any other regions in Europe, yet the sect contact was also alive in well. The Swedish and Danish states were the main congregations of Camarilla domains with plenty of outlying Sabbat domains and scattered Sabbat amongst the centralized domains of Sweden.

•Northwest Europe (Britain)
                -Mithras was slow to adapt his Baronies of Avalon into the Camarilla, unwilling to relinquish his autonomy and control, yet with extreme tensions amongst the sects scattering throughout individuals and the divide with Europe, Mithras gradually adapted towards a Camarilla style structure, although he remains notable as the longest holdout of the core European Camarilla domains and he still managed to maintain a great deal of autonomy. Some rumors even said that he still claimed the title of 'King of Britain' or 'Sol Invictus' within privacy. The Camarilla was predominant throughout much of Britain, particularly southern Britain and Wales, although certain portions of Scotland and vast swaths of Ireland were claimed by the Sabbat and locked in consistent battle.

•Western Europe (France, Burgundy, Netherlands)
                -Another pillar of the Camarilla's geographic power was the former Courts of Love within Western Europe and because this region suffered a great deal under the Anarch Revolts and Burning Times which allowed many southern portions of Western Europe as well as scattered domains to host the Sabbat and France was at times said to host the greatest quantity of nomadic Sabbat packs in Europe.

•Central Europe (Holy Roman Empire & Co.)
                -While this region formed the third of three primary Camarilla pillars in Europe with both the Vienna Chantry of Clan Tremere and the Germanic Ventrue dynasties, which was useful for the nascent sect as this region both housed mortal efforts of influence to combat the mortal influence of the Sabbat via the Protestant Reformation and vampiric efforts to combat the Sabbat threats to the east in the Voivodate and to the south from Iberia and the Italian Penninsula. This region held many of the Camarilla's first leaders and its earliest justicars and warlords who lead the fierce and bloody battle against The Sabbat.

•Eastern Europe (Russia)
                -To the east of the Sabbat Voivodate, Ottoman Ashirra, and HRE Camarilla; a vast land of similar political fringe to Scandinavia dwells. While the western portions are trending towards the Camarilla, particularly around Moscow as it aims to become a cradle of European civilization, a great deal of the Russian hinterlands are filled with Sabbat packs and Autarkis overlord, particularly of the clans Brujah and Nosferatu and Gangrel. There's also the matter of Russia's ties to the Black Courts of East Asia and many of the Russian Cainites of Central and Eastern Russia are slowly debating whether to back one of the sects of Europe to the west, the Black Courts/Anda Dynasties to the south and east, or simply to remain independent. Time will tell.

•Southeast Europe (Byzantine, E. Europe)
                -With the fall of Constantinople, many European kindred and mortals fled further into Western Europe, carrying a great deal of knowledge with them, both of mortal and kindred scholars and faiths. The Ashirra is the predominant sect in this region, although it finds itself ensuring near constant crusades from Sabbat packs of Eastern Europe and the Tzimisce Voivodate as well as political gestures for alliance from the Camarilla. The Ashirra for its part was stalled in its expanse both by internal pressures and difficulty driving deeper into Europe due to the unyielding defense of Clan Tzimisce over their homelands and after a time the Ottoman Ashirra fell into a steady status quo with its control of land trade from Asia & The Middle East into Europe.

•Southwest Europe (Italy & Iberia)
                -While predominantly tied to the Sea of Shadows, this region has a great deal of influence over the impacts of the Church, although the kindred lost a great deal of influence after the Inquisition and Catholic Counter-Reformation. Yet with the Giovanni's Venetian trade routes and the Sabbat's smuggling through the Voivodate into Instanbul and East Asia and their naval trade routes via Spain and Portugal. This gave the Sabbat its ready access to regions beyond Europe, where the cultures gained numerous noteworthy additions as they rapidly assimilated kindred embraced from indigenous cultures. These regions also formed the major staging grounds for Sabbat Crusades into the Camarilla Heartlands of Western & Central Europe as well as the Iberian Sabbat, particularly amongst Lasombra and Brujah Antitribu, driving down into North Africa into divided Ashirra domains and create southern staging grounds into Africa for the Sabbat as well as those established along Southern & Portugese trade routes.
                Last edited by Gryffon15; 02-04-2020, 12:19 AM.

Comment

• What are the Sabbat up to in V5

"You destroyed us, Doctor. The Dalek race died in your inferno, but my ship survived, falling through time, crippled but alive." - The Dalek Emperor

If you wonder why I use this quote, it's because it's an insight into how I use the Sabbat in V5. The Sabbat have suffered unimaginable losses with the loss of Mexico City, Montreal, and many of their cities in South America. They've lost a huge chunk of their military assets in the Gehenna War, had some defections to the Anarchs, and there's the whole Fifth Sabbat Civil War with the Lasombra defection. The Sabbat are at their weakest since the Convention of Thorns but that just means that the leanest, hungriest, as well as most capable survivors of the Black Hand are those left.

The Sabbat that are left exist sort of like the Imperial Remnant in the old Star Wars EU (for a extra geeky reference). There are Fortress Cities like Miami where the Sabbat Archbishop of the city rules with no oversight as independent warlords. They are officially still part of the Sword of Caine but the few remaining Cardinals and Pricius have no real ability to make them obey. They may contribute a handful of operatives and support to the larger Sabbat cause but only if they have something to gain from it.

The Black Hand has broken into two groups with the Children of Zillah led by Dastur Anosh and the Servitors of Irad of which the latter is just the True Hand. Both are just Gehenna cults that really have very little care about the actual Sabbat anymore. They are following more esoteric concerns and are heavily involved in the Gehenna War. Almost all of the old Assamite Antribu have also joined the Web of Knives back at Alamut to serve Ur-Shulgi or did until it was destroyed by the United States military under unknown direction. The Web of Knives is now scattered and lost.

The Sabbat Inquisition has become its own independent organization, hunting down diabolists and twisted sorcerers harnessing the power of hell. They are opposed to the Baali-ridden True Hand and members of the Red List dabbling in infernalism. Oddly enough, the Inquisition controls a number of cities by itself and have made a certain level of peace with its neighbors. It has also cooperated with the Second Inquisition and Hecata several times in what is the strangest alliance of all. Part of this is due to the fact they include virtually the entirety of the Salubri Antitribu who have gladly destroyed most of their more psychotic and typical Sabbat members. Many Lasombra members defected to the Camarilla and are working to negotiate a neutrality agreement for this group among them.

House Goratrix is oddly enough aligned with the Sabbat Inquisition and has also declared its neutrality to the Camarilla. A massive attempt on their headquarters was attempted by many 5th and 6th generation blood hungry Gehenna Crusaders possessed by ancient monsters--all of them were obliterated in what is the biggest defeat they have suffered.

The Sabbat Loyalists, Panders, and Serpents of Light have survived almost entirely intact but by doing so via desertion. They more or less dropped out of the Gehenna Crusade and then popped up in Anarch controlled cities or working with the "Ministry." They don't talk about their past but their defection is what has resulted in the Anarchs going from their mostly live and let live attitude the Camarilla to full-scale war. They are the worst of the Anarchs and why they have started to become Sabbat-lite in many respects.

The Harbingers of Skulls have left the Sabbat and did so with a polite letter. The Harbingers have achieved everything they wanted with the Sword of Caine and consider all of their debts there repaid.

As we know, half the Lasombra defected to the Camarilla in what a very bloody Civil War that left a good chunk of Elders dead (not just Lasombra either as they struck at the Elders of many Antitribu bloodlines). The surviving Lasombra in the Sword of Caine are weakened and either far more obsessive than before or pragmatic enough to be more sound and fury than signifying anything. They are content to rule their cities and cults in peace while pretending the Sabbat will rise again.

The Tzimisce should have emerged the strongest of the group but they have not because Sasca Vykos has rebelled against his old ways, stating that they'd been manipulated by the Dracon and the Eldest. With many of their Elders have mysteriously disappeared, the clan is undergoing something of a re-examination. Some have returned to the Old Country to be re-educated by the Old Clan or Dracula with some stating the latter defeated Kupala, freeing their clan from a millennia-long curse. They are still the strongest of the Sabbat clans but the independents among their kind are almost as large as the Sabbat remnant.

Some have also suggested they should rename themselves the Dracon. Vykos, of course, objects.
                  Last edited by CTPhipps; 02-04-2020, 11:43 PM.

Author of Cthulhu Armageddon, I was a Teenage Weredeer, Straight Outta Fangton, Lucifer's Star, and the Supervillainy Saga.

Comment

• BOSTON

The period from 1770-1850 in the Era of Sects is considered a time of revolution and tumult, the age when the Anarch Movement was reborn and the first battles over the fate of the new world truly waged. There is truth to this, but it's not entirely accurate. For decades prior, in the taverns of the American & Australian colonies to the ports of the Caribbean and the coffeehouses of France there was talk in the air.

Debate of new ideas, new thoughts, the nature of man and his natural rights and privileges. The evolution of secularism as man wondered if God was truly dead and as the Church waned in power, man wondered about what was and wasn't right. From these debates, seeded the age of revolt to come and laid out the seeds of a freshly risen Movement.

The first of these new Anarchs sailed in the Carribean, but pirates and privateers were easy to ignore. So what of the so-called 'Bloody Jack' raiding ships and sending migrating ancillae into the depths? Pirates were a mongrel race and all who sailed to the new world knew the dangers. The war of ages was yet fought between the Camarilla and Sabbat and both sides knew the other to be without mercy. This was nothing new.

When a band of young neonates and ancillae stood up in France at an annual convocation and declared that they would be heeded, many elders rolled their eyes. The youth were in tumult as ever. 'Teas the same as it ever was. Offer them new duties, keep them away from the Sabbat's clutches, and watch them grow out of it as all others did.

In the halls and elysiums of American colonies where neonates suffered nightly battles against the Sabbat without calls for European aid ever receiving heed and while exiled ancillae stewed in their colonial backwater while their peers lived luxuriously in the old world, tensions and resentments stewed. They found themselves listening to American philosophers debate law and humanism and many found themselves agreeing with much of what had been said. The colonies struggled under the oppression of a people foreign to them and they were allowed no voice of advocacy in their own halls of power and government.

The powder keg was set... the fuse was lit...

It happened without warning. Brujah, Gangrel, and Toreador of Boston were swept up in the spirit of the mortals and as England and the Camarilla pressed down upon them they rose up in revolt. While the mortals threw tea into the harbor in protest, the kindred struck the havens of Camarilla agents and loyalists. Their ghouls and thralls were slain. They were made torpid, destroyed, or else fled.

Word was slow reaching either sect and when it did it was misinterpretation and the truth came to late. The Camarilla assumed a successful Sabbat raid against Boston and the nearby Tremere Chantry shuttered itself as Meetlinda lead her Clan deeper into New England Camarilla territory. The Sabbat celebrated a successful crusade against the Camarilla stronghold in New England.

By the time the truth was discovered it was too late. Andrea Parker and the founders of the Boston Liberty Club had established the domain as an Anarch Free State and a democratic republic. The Movement was reborn and it raged across the world.

From the colonies of in the Americas and Australia to the imperial domains of Africa, Asia, and India and even to scattered domains across Europe, the Age of Revolution had begun.

Comment

• This is just a little side thing:

I'm in a bit of debate whether or not to have this be a mechanical or narrative thing but basically, just giving more consideration to the idea discussed in lore that vampires come from the embrace with greater vigor and power.

Narratively that night just mean allowing a vampire with average physicals, perception, and appearance to use it a bit more effectively.

Although I'm also considering doing something like this:

Fledgling - 1
                      Neonate - 2
                      Ancillae - 3
                      Elders - 4
                      Methuselahs - 5

Kindred automatically add a number of dice related to their age to all Strength, Dexterity, Stamina, Appearance, & Perception pools before Disciplines & Blood Expenditure, thanks to their vampiric natures.

Vampires also receive 1 automatic success to all perception rolls related directly to blood, both detecting it and its nuances.

Comment

• Why not just let that be reflected in the gradual improvement (XP expenditure) that all vampires gain over their long lives. My thoughts were that vampires gain [attributes] by feeding from people with attributes, and as someone old has undoubtedly fed from many more strong/charismatic/smart people over their long lifetime, they are themselves stronger.
                        Now, following that logic, you could say a new vampire could just binge all the time from a choice stock or go on a rampage, but I imagine the efficiency goes down as the body needs to take it's time with the blood.

V5 is not VTM

Comment

• Originally posted by CTPhipps View Post
                          Sex, Sexuality, and Blood
                          Without at least some of these, the Siren predator type makes less sense. (Yes, as Joanna Lumley once said, they can use the same strategy that women have used for thousands of years - fake it. But the incongruity between the effects of the Kiss and the partner's lack of prowess would make secrecy a lot harder)

Comment

• Originally posted by Gryffon15 View Post
                            So I've recently been thinking about the late Middle Ages and basically what vampire's backyard, Europe, looked like during the lead-up to the creation of the sects. So, hope people find this interesting as it's something of a fusion of canon and historically inspired headcanon:

SECT LEAD-UPS

GENERAL OVERVIEW
                            •Due to a period of climate shift, the centuries before the Convention of Thorns were plagued in Europe literally by the Black Plague and famines such as the Great Famine of 1315-1317, not to mention endemic warfare between European powers. This major population bust would have primarily effected humanity and as vampires suddenly found themselves majorly overpopulated, it led to a fierce competition for herds and territories which further drove revolts and endemic warfare, as well as subtly pressuring kindred to centralize in major population centers to survive.
                            Superb overview. In my setting, the internecine conflict among elders or diminished herds was one of the things that allowed the Anarch Revolt to succeed

Comment

• Thank you!

Yeah, the War of Prince's definitely helped to facilitate the successes of the first Anarch Revolt.

Comment

• THE CAMARILLA & OUTSIDER CLANS

•LASOMBRA
                                -The Keepers ruled the Mediterranean up to the Convention of Thorns. They were rivals with the Ventrue since Alexander the Great and Rome. They were rivals with Ashirra since Rome fought Persia. They are the shadowy masters of Italian City-States and Iberian dynasties. They exulted in the corruption and conspiracy of the Catholic Church. They bore the dark mark of The Abyss.

•What they did then:
                                -When the Convention of Thorns rose, the Lasombra as a Clan curled their lip. A few elders attended out of a sense of noble obligation, but the lasombra of this time were drunk on arrogance and spite. They were drunk with the destruction of their progenitor, whose blood they drank to become kings. Yet, they also raged. They bristed that Toreador would dare lecture them and Ventrue would claim the title of 'Prince' in their weakness. They stung from the betrayal of the Church and their excommunication from it. They loathed their Arabian kin outdoing them by claiming Constantinople and repaid them by driving through Iberia in the Shadow Reconquista. The Lasombra were proud and defiant and refused to cowtow or ask forgiveness. They claimed to be Caine's truest disciples in that regard. Others snubbed their clan and departed, but for the whole of the clan, their was no debate.

They were Lasombra. They would not kneel.

•What they do now:
                                -Half a millennium has past and many Lasombra grow ever more weary with the Sabbat. They grow weary with the young snapping at their heels and the lawlessness of their domain. Of commitment to a fight they have already won. Of being obligated to serve fanatics. The Sabbat spread across the world in the 16th and 17th century and by those times many were growing dissatisfied. Defections were slow and inconstant and done largely for personal reasons. Lasombra chose to claim power and prestige he in independent domains or within the halls of the Movement or the luxury of the Camarilla. The fanatics loathed them but many Lasombra were sympathetic. They wanted to be masters and nobles, not petty warlords.

The presence of Montano and other successful Antitribu and the Ventrue relaxing the grudges during the difficulties of the American War Effort, a notable minority of Lasombra began defecting en masse. Rumors spoke of the ancient Montano being a councilor to the Inner Circle and when the Italian Archbishop of Milan, Giangaleazzo lead a major defection to the Camarilla and was rumored to have also been given access to the Inner Circle, that was the tipping point. Defections increased and while the majority of the Lasombra continued to rule over the Sabbat, a significant number of 'True' Keepers now walked the halls of power in the Camarilla.

•TZIMISCE
                                -They were the lord's of the old world and the old ways. Masters of their domain. They were divided but they were civil. Always civil. Ancient Kolduns whose blood and body was the land and those lineages who had followed The Eldest down the path of the Metamorphosis with Kupala. Regardless, they were proud. They were above it all. They were Tzimisce.

•What they did then:
                                -The Tzimisce ruled the Carpathians, both the Old Clan and the Fiends alike. They were the Voivodate and they were the land that they mastered. They had weathered Rome all those centuries before and they had weathered mongrel slavs and germans since time immemorial. This land was theirs. When the Ventrue of the Black Fiefs lead their crusades, the Tzimisce United their strength and defied. When the Andan Dynasty rose with the Mongol Hordes, the Tzimisce United their strength and defied. When the Ashirra followed the Otyoman Turks in conquest and jihad, the Tzimisce united their strength and defied. When the Tremere set upon the Tzimisce to steal their power and secrets, the Tzimisce United their strength and defied. The Tzimisce were immovable in their defiance and they made it certain and clear that the mountains would be red with dried blood and every village and cave empty of life before they relented. Against them, all broke. Yet the children rose up and the Tzimisce could not resist their own power. The young destroyed The Eldest and the Tzimisce were staggered. When they heard of the Convention of Thorns, the Old Clan, though appalled by the Firnds refused all envoys. Join ranks with Ventrue invaders or Tremere usurpers? Insolent Brujah? All these so-called 'kindred' who stood by while Saulot's children were hunted and destroyed? Never. The ground world swallow them before that night arrived.

The Fiends too refused. They had endured and they had defeated The Eldest. They were free from history. Now they would do as they pleased and they would claim their rightful place as rulers of this 'Sabbat'. After all, who more fitting then the Voivodes who destroyed The Eldest of Caine's grandchilder? Who more fitting then they who broke the chains of blood? Who more fitting then Tzimisce?

•What they do now:
                                -The centuries have gone by and the Old Clan remains unmoved. They stood by while Russia rose and fell and rose again only to fall once more and they watch without care as it once more struggles to rise. They watched the sects war. They watched it all and ruled their lands. When the Anarchs rose up, they did not stir. They stir only for their own cause. Their own reason. Their own revenge. The Voivodate endures. The Dragon is Defiant.

For the Fiends though, they are less resolved. While many do remain within the Sabbat, followers of Dracon, others grow weary. They seek the peace to pursue their own endeavors and in this an experiment began in the 18th-20th century. Fiends steadily joined the Anarch Movement and while many could not stomach the insistent humanity of these Anarchs, others found kindred spirits. Some claimed to have found the spiritual heirs of the revolt. Others simply sought solitude to perform their works.

Some still in this time and the 20th century entertained overtures from the Camarilla. Many elders performed debauchieres within the shadows and if the Tzimisce were willing to decry the Sabbat as a failure and smear the Tales of Nod, they would be welcomed. Many refused vehemently. Yet a few who were pragmatic and callous and tired considered. Some of those agreed and the exodus began. No doubt the number of Tzimisce in the Camarilla and Sabbat is very few, far outnumbered by the Voivodate, Black Courts, & Sabbat. Yet those who did reject find themselves quite comfortable, falling into ready alliance with Gangrel, Nosferatu, Toreador and Ventrue while maintaining chilly distance from the Brujah, Malkavians, and Tremere. Many of these Tzimisce even spoke to rumors that the great usurper himself, Dracula, had swindled access to the Camarilla Inner Circle. Opinions on this, like everything about the infamous Count of Wallachia, vary to say the least...

•ASSAMITE
                                -The Banu Haqim, the Children of Assam, the Assassins... this clan has known the bonds of duty since the First & Second City. Those of the clans orthodoxy know that they answer to the Old Man on the Mountain who serves as Haqim's regent in Alamut, but not all heed that call. Those who walked away from Haqim in the Second City and those like them have founded dynasties across the world, dynasties which constantly duel with the Banu Haqim. Elsewhere Assamites claim chapters and tribute to Alamut so that they might practice their duty and faith across the world. Others have abandoned the path of Haqim over the centuries in service of The One Above and have joined the Ashirra, the Malkavians of Jerusalem, the Toreador of Constantinople & Russia, of even the lord's of the Catholic Church. Duty and faith is the way of this clan. Once they were broken, yet eternally they serve.

•What they did then:
                                -When the Convention of Thorns came many Assamites had operated as rampant killers in the Anarch Revolts as they followed the Path of Blood or had helped to drive the European kindred from Constantinople and see the city fall to the Ashirra. Countless European kindred feared and hated the assassins and they struck back. The Toreador particularly were fierce in their hatred, accusing them of faking Constantinople while others like the Brujah raged over Greece and Carthage and the Ventrue seethed over Greece and Rome. The Tremere, proving their power, brought the assassins to heel. They were curbed and cursed and made to hunt the Anarchs and Inquisitors. At the Convention of Thorns they earned their freedom and walked away with their blood curse, filled with spite and fury. Alamut would stand strong and resolute, ever aloof, but many could not bare that. Assamites joined the Sabbat for revenge and freedom from their curse, they banded to the Ashirra with hopes of destroying the Camarilla in conquest, while others became rogue killers. The Assamites, the Judges of the Second City, were fallen.

•What they do now:
                                -The spite of the Assamites has endured the centuries. They scathed as Camarilla and Sabbat imperial pawns undermined their lands and rogues grew more and more common as disillusionment with Alamut & Ashirra grew. Many Assamites continued to flock to the Anarchs to practice their craft far from the corruption of the Ashirra & Camarilla and the apathy and compromise of Alamut. Others still declared vengeance on Alamut and fled to the Sabbat. Few would go over to the Camarilla though, even as the Camarilla made more and more headway in the 19th and 20th centuries. The rogues went to the Ivory Tower first but they were outsiders loathed by their clans. No, it was not until the late 20th century that Assamites began to truly flee towards the Ivory Tower.

As the Camarilla & Sabbat dove deeper and deeper into North Africa and parts of the Middle East, something ancient and dark arose. Ur-Shulgi. The clan was stunned as he laid out his ultimatum. Serve Haqim or be destroyed. Those who refused to surrender independence, whether Anarch or Autarkis, and those who refused to surrender their faith, were hunted and destroyed. The Web of Knives staggered and Assamites fled in scores. To the Anarchs, to the Sabbat, even to the hated Camarilla. They asked protection and offered duty. They were accepted and now a new conflict rises in this modern jyhad. The Banu Haqim of Alamut, lead by the dread Ur-Shulgi, and all the Assamites fled into the wind.

With the rising of ancients in the Middle East and whispers of demons rising from the sand alongside Ur-Shulgi, only time knows what lies ahead for the silent clan...

•FOLLOWERS OF SET
                                -The Settites, the Church of Typhon, these scions of the God of Chaos are dedicated towards vast theological constructions that consume their unlives. Cosmic battles to banish elder gods of tyrannical order, ancient feuds against cthonic gods of Death, Magic, and the Sun; cultists of a dead god who may yet rise again...

•What they did then:
                                -The Settites have known for centuries that the faith of Set is not easily spread outside of the lands of Egypt. So, they changed their masks. They syncretized and they morphed. They were Typhonic in Greece, Bacchanal in Rome, and the children of Loki & Jormungundr in Scandinavia. They were the devil's advocate and they argued against all that seem good, orderly, and noble. They spread and many distrusted the cultists, yet some were compelled or coerced into its ranks. When the Convention of Thorns arose though, there was no place for the Settites. The Camarilla could not argue the antediluvians were myth while courting the Church of Setukh and the Sabbat looked upon the Settites willingly bent knees with disgust. The Settites would have to endure the burning times alone. So be it. For every martyr, Set will drink...

•What they do know:
                                -The Sabbat is unyielding in their hatred of the Settites and their myriad cults, with only the rebellious Serpents of Light finding any place amongst them. The Ashirra too would not suffer the pagans within their midst. Set's followers dwelt hidden in temples across the desert and spread out over the world. As the centuries passed, they saw humanity grow faithless and secular and some despaired while others rejoiced. For if humanity cast of the fetters of the tyrant gods of reason, all the better to draw them into Set's blasphemous truths? When the Anarch Movement erupted, the Settites approached them. They were rejected at first as servants of the elders, but the Settites changed. They became supposed deists and hellfire club thinkers. They preached philosophy instead of doctrine and they found converts. They learned the lessons from experimenting with the Anarchs and by the Victorian era, with the height of Egytomania, they made a considerable push towards the Camarilla. They spoke of ancient Egyptian culture and legends while vouching it all in palatable secular occultism and philosophy. Some elders, such as Mithras, who recalled the old times would never trust the Settites. Yet such kindred did not speak for all. While the Inner Council could not accept the Settites as a true Clan of the Camarilla due to their heritage and secrets, a few were given the ears of the Council and Justicars. The Settites slid like serpents into the garden and with iterations that varied from philosophical satantists to The Ministry and countless factions and regional variations, the snakes curled around the sects with pleasure...

GIOVANNI
                                -The second usurper clan, the ancient ambitions of merchants and necromancers, the Giovanni rose from Venice & Sicily as the clan arose and as the former cthonian scholars vanished over the veil, the merchant lord's arose.

•What they did then:
                                -The Giovanni were walking a tightrope from their first night in the world. They had masterminded the destruction of [Cappadocius] and in the era of Anarch Revolt in recent memory, faith in Noddism and the power of the ancients were fading. Saulot was destroyed and warlocks hunted his children. The Lasombra and Tzimisce had destroyed their progenitors during the Revolts. When the Giovanni arose, they extended their hands outward. To the Founders of the Camarilla, they argued that Cappadocius was leading his clan down a path of madness that threatened to endanger all kindred and reinvigorate the Masquerade and looking at the increasing eccentricity of the veiled clan in the prior centuries, it seemed possible. What more, the destruction of [Cappadocian] would further prove that the so-called antediluvians were as fallible as any other Cainite. The Founders of the Camarilla have hesitant support. In Italy, the Giovanni had long had shadowy contact with the Lasombra. They debated and schemed in the shadows and as the Lasombra saw the darkness within Giovanni, a pact was made. As the Tremere stood by the Ventrue, so shall the Giovanni now stand by the Lasombra. Swearing to ensure the destruction of [Cappadocian], the Giovanni agreed and indeed the necromancers usurped the cthonians. From that night on, the precarious dance continued. The Giovanni were bound to work with the Sabbat, as tightly tied as they were to Italy and the Lasombra, as well as the Camarilla due to Augustus' alliance with the Founders & Inner Council. They both played them off against each other and they endured and in time they triumphed as a great mercenary clan. They may have fallen so many times yet as they entered the new world, their rise to power became unstoppable. Yet Augustus was not yet satisfied. His clan would not simply survive. They would be supreme...

•What they do now:
                                -Tonight the Giovanni are an independent network of alliances. A confederation of families who answer to the First-Family in Venice. Branches of the family work with all other kindred. Camarilla, Sabbat, Anarchs, Independents, Autarkis. Everyone. Each family operates semi-independently so long as they bow to Venice. This has worked for centuries to ensure the clan's peace and that they can play each and every side. Yet with every night the threat of their enemies grow by the same way the Giovanni rose. Families become bound to sects and this destabilizes The Family. The Giovanni seek to be masters of an independent domain yet as the sects continue to rise and hold power, individual bursts of ambition slowly corrode the pillars of the family as incestuous tensions eats at it from within.

•Ravnos
                                -Priest Kings, Demon Champions, Messengers, Trickstets, Philosophers, and Dreamers. The masters of India and south-east Asia had a powerful hierarchy and their own sect akin to the Ventrue and Lasombra within India. The Jati was the dominion of Ravnos Brahmin and Philosophers and they had endured for millennia, through invasion and exile alike.

•What they did then:
                                -The Jati had bigger concerns during the War of Princes and Convention of Thorns. The whole of the Ashirra divided India from Europe. The majority of the Jati would not meet the sects of Europe until the first Sabbat packs on Portuguese ships sailed into ports in the Indian Ocean and those packs did little to impress the old sect and as the Sabbat priests called for the destruction of The Jati as a tool of 'self-deception' and 'the ancients', the Ravnos shattered their reality and offered them the kindness of being released back into the cycle. The Jati had no desire or need to join the Camarilla or Sabbat. The invasions from Ashirran kindred that sought to control the Mughal Empire was far more pressing to them.

The Ravnos of Europe were not the Jati. They were exiles. They were failed warriors, corrupt prophets, and rebellious Chandala who refused to 'know their place'. They banded together with mortal tribes and sought freedom and freelands in lands beyond the Jati as they had for millennia, some say since the Gangrel of Ennoia's Horde first broke the City of Zapasathura in the Indus-River Valley. Those tribes would find no rest though. They were denied land and freedom and they were barred. The Voivodate of the Tzimisce offered slavery or destruction and the Princes & Kings of Europe had little else more in the way of mercy for the wandering clan. When the Convention of Thorns arose, the Ravnos of Europe were seen as too weak, scattered, and unclean to be of any use and not worth the ire of the Gangrel or Tremere to approach. The Sabbat welcomed them if they accepted the crusade, but those who refused were ripe targets for blood hunting. The Ravnos have forever struggled and many have thus fled because of it. They hid within the Ashirra, wandered deep into the Black Courts following the wake of the Anda Horde, following the paths of the Viking, and migrating into deepest parts of Africa.

Regardless, neither Camarilla nor Sabbat was overly concerned with accepting the scattered bastards and The Jati were not overly concerned with anything to do with Europe's Cainite affairs.

•What they do now:
                                -The Jati now struggles viciously to exist. The Camarilla, the Sabbat, The Black Courts, the Anarch Movement, the Ashirra, and methuselah Tzimisce, Settites, and Assamites. Even before the Week of Nightmares the Ravnos were struggling to maintain their rule in India and while their methuselahs and elders faced considerable power, the younth of every other sect swarmed at their feet faster then the Jati could repel them. When [Ravnos] arose, the storm raged for a week of darkness and the clan was ravaged and The Jati collapsed. What little remained, the few methuselah and elder survivors, called all of their clan home to rebuild and recover before India fell for good.

Too little, far too late.

The Ravnos of the world beyond was long since over their home sickness for India and were settled into entrenched loathing of the arrogance of the Jati. They had found their own ways of survival across the world. The Ravnos who remained walked their own path. They were still loathed and looked down upon but they would endure. They were fewer now, yet...

Same as it ever was.
                                Last edited by Gryffon15; 02-08-2020, 09:32 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X