No announcement yet.

Crazy and Mundane Headcanons for V5

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Genghis talks with a fake British punk/thug accent to enhance his persona. And his nickname for Ballad is, "Senior Fatf---".
    Last edited by Yaoi Huntress Earth; 02-10-2020, 12:24 AM.

Check out my DriveThruRPG books at: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse....=Carrie%20Kube

Comment

• Vampires and Gehenna are cyclic, but they're part of a process of entropy and renewal as the 'cycle' starts anew. Things stagnate, reach a limit and eventually have to break down to become fertile soil for something newer (and perhaps better) to grow. Ironically vampires are seen as part of this process (Maybe the First Murder altered God's plans, or gave him a different/interesting idea in how Creation should run) - rather than being a parasite or blight (as Garou see them, or others might see themselves) they're in theory a natural part of the process just as humans might be tied to the weaver, etc. Hell the fact the vampires are wyrm tainted may not always have been a bad thing in that respect. But when the Triat started going wrong, the original purpose of vampires got corrupted, and the cycle itself started to degenerate. Prophecies like from teh Book of Nod might be seen as corruptions of that original purpose or a misunderstanding (The same way Vampires didn't understand that creating too many thin blooded provoked the culling from the Antediluvians)

for added pessimism, assume Caine has grown tired of his burden and wants to end it all, so he set out to deliberatly corrupt/distort the role vampires play in the natural order in an attempt to end it all.

Comment

• Going off of the previous post by 'Mister_Dunpeal', while I don't totally subscribe to the Cyclical Gehenna route for my personal chronicles or headcanon, it did make me think about an element of the Cyclical Gehenna does interest me and thinking about how it effects vampiric society and muddies the water somewhat.

The idea that over the course of centuries and millennia, there are generational events where sleeping ancients rise up and summon their younger kin to them to consume in the infamous "Methuselah's Thirst" as they return to the world.

From the Second City and Mesopotamia which saw the antediluvians and first members of the fourth and fifth generation all the way to the most recently risen torpid kindred. Indigenous elders and methuselahs of the new world are still considered a horrible threat in that they might one night rise up and consume all the blood around them.

It's these events which serve as the existential dread that drives all three of the major sects of the modern World of Darkness.

The Camarilla have seen the horror committed by the "ordinary" ancients and know that the prospects of the antediluvians oneday rising would shatter vampiric society. Whether they believe it's true or not, society could not endure that knowledge. So they insist that these blood-gods do exist as they desperately create infrastructures to allow elders to grasp tightly to consciousness and ward off ennui while also simultaneously creating as smooth as possible a re-entry for risen kindred. The fact that sometimes the price of a peaceful transmission is the lives of a few dozen fledgelings left in a tomb is a sorry but necessary price to pay in their eyes.

The Sabbat are a militant theocracy and when the Anarch Revolt arose it was a confluence of ideas that inspired them to be the foretold children rising against their sires from the Book of Nod. They ensure that Cainites remain bound to each other within the covenant of the vaulderie within the sect to restrain the Methuselah's Thirst as much as possible. They desperately hunt the elders and ancients who refuse to join them as an act of both self-preservation and religious zeal in hope of serving Caine's Will and becoming his champions and scions. If the price of salvation is countless human lives and unbelieving cowards, so be it to them.

The Anarch Movement is composed by a majority of kindred who have likely never seen an ancient one rise and even if they have, they may cling to the Movement all the more. They are the fledgelings, neonates, and the ancillae. To the Camarilla they are potential sacrificial lambs and to the Sabbat they are foot soldiers in the War of Ancients. The Anarchs rebel and tear themselves away from both sides. When Ancients rise, the Anarchs band together in desperation to survive. Some may dream of harnessing the ancient's power for the revolt, but most hope only to survive when Methuselah's walk.

Comment

• I use the background in Dave Gibbins "Atlantis" for the First City.
          The maximum Blood Potency of each generation slowly increases over centuries - which is why, in DAV20 it's the 12th generation who have trouble siring childer reliably, but in V5, it's the 13th. Caine probably started out functionally equivalent to a modern thin blood or 13th generation Kindred for the "age he dwelled in sorrow" until he became strong enough to sire childer. In another thousand years the maximum for any generation which hasn't already maxed out at 10 will probably go up by 1
          Last edited by JezMiller; 02-19-2020, 03:32 PM. Reason: Mis-spelled Atlantis!

Comment

• In the World of Darkness, media phenomena like Star Trek, Star Wars, the Lord of the Rings, the Honor Harrington, the Beetles, and the Eagles either never amounted to anything, or never appeared in the first place.

However, media phenomena like Cleopatra 2525, Galactica 1980, the Gor series, Dianetics, Limp Bizkut, and the Black Eyed Peas absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are dead.

On a related note, the Terminator franchise gave one and two a miss and went straight to Rise of the Machines.

Comment

• They do indeed live in: The Darkest Timeline

Comment

• I was just thinking the exaggerated the worst qualities as normal.
                Star Trek Is pretentious, Star Wars is extra racist, Tolkien is even more aggressively conservative (and twice as influential) and the Beatles were oh-so much more toxic to eachother.

Even stuff that was great and popular is twisted. All the disney films were a lot better at peddling their conservative values, until they got modern and made liberal ideas look like a joke. The Terminator created a lot of ludites and impersonators. All christian films are Wyrm funded cult-encouragement, The marvel films are twice as popular and twice as brainless. Tarrantino encourages ultraviolence, Christopher Nolan's formula is even more the same. Micheal Bay's films are widely enjoyed. Adam Sandler films are exactly the same. Remember "No Russian" from CoD:MW2? You had a score calculator for the civilians you killed, and the section was twice as long.

Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two make four. If that is granted, all else follows.

Comment

• I admit, I generally think of it as "our world plus vampires and other monsters."

You don't need to change the humans in our world because history is so shitty as is.

Author of Cthulhu Armageddon, I was a Teenage Weredeer, Straight Outta Fangton, Lucifer's Star, and the Supervillainy Saga.

Comment

• O'tolleys
                    Not just a knockoff of a certain fast food place to avoid copy rights, but also a way to avoid libel, because y'know, they're putting mystery meat, chemical weapons and evil spirits into their burgers.

Vampires, werewolves, mages, changelings, spirits... All of these would alter human history for the worse. I don't want to change historical facts, but embellishing the nasty is kinda what I think you're supposed to do. Just taking the normal world and slapping supernaturals down, assuming they aren't creating changes...

Like, yeah, our world is pretty shitty and you could say stuff by not making the WoD different, but when it comes to satire, turning it up a notch tends to be the way to go. World of Darkness needs to go up to 11.

Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two make four. If that is granted, all else follows.

Comment

• Instead of McDonalds, my O'Tolleys is a stand in for Applebees. They serve the worst sort of expired horse meat, overpriced alcohol, and a dirty faux "real" restaraunt quality.

In other words, Applebees.

Author of Cthulhu Armageddon, I was a Teenage Weredeer, Straight Outta Fangton, Lucifer's Star, and the Supervillainy Saga.

Comment

• Now, McDonalds has done wonders for it's image, so it's not seen as so bad anymore, but I definitely prefer international brands to local chains for that sense of global evil. I mean, me and a lot of people on this forum have never been to an applebees, some of us haven't even heard of em.

That said, a lot of Pentex stuff could really only exist in a few places as smaller companies. Like gay conversion facilities. That stuff wouldn't fly in a lot of the world. But globalised evil is fun for everyone.

Comment

• North Korea in the World of Darkness

"Listen boss, you don't actually want to know about North Korea. You think you do because you are certain we're the top of the food chain. You think that if you go there, you'll find out it's all under the command of some secret cabal of Brujah zealots or Ventrue dictators. Is it Sabbat territory or maybe the Kuei-Jin (or Wan Kuei--whatever, never met any while alive or dead). After all, it's a place under the absolute oppression of a tyrannical minority and that means someone must be pulling the strings, right? You don't want to go to North Korea because you'll be the only supernatural there."

"Now, this is a bit of hyperbole. There's probably a few there. A Nosferatu or two in the sewers picking off random citizens, a werething or two living in the woods, or maybe a scavenger or two around the Gulags. However, there is a much nastier creature than us ruling over the people in this nation: humans."

"From the Korean War to the present, the vampires of the country had their followers purged and their herds removed. The mages were crushed under the weight of a system that did their best to remove their dreams. If I believed in fairies, I imagine they all died out too. Werewolves can't do much without Kinfolk either. The Kuei-Jin flat out don't get reborn there and their demon friends don't show up so what's the point. It is one of the most spiritually dead places on the planet and barely hanging on for a thousand little things that make it an uncomfortable place for just about all of us."

"Mind you, this doesn't mean they don't believe, boss. The North Korean military did have some people in the know long ago and they have all the books, names, and faces. Something called the "Union" or the "Metal Dragons" once helped them before they all got murdered by it. Sounds like hunters to me. The army already think all enemies are horrible monsters so no harm in burning down an entire building to get just one of us when they see it. Not much even an Elder can do when the response to one rousing an army of starving peasants is to just bomb it to the ground. Hehe, I bet that's what happened to the Garou too. The North Koreans have accomplished what the rest of the world only dreams and wiped out all supernaturals--yay humanity. This is what it looks like without us."

- A transcript of Park Jeesung, Nosferatu Ancilla in Los Angeles

Comment

• I remember downloading the homebrew rules for a Highlander RPG back in the mid 90's using WoD character creation rules. In my WoD there are Immortals and Watchers going about their day to day lives with limited knowledge of the other supernaturals. It has never come up in my game but I just like the idea of Duncan MacLeod and Mythos and the gang running around. Just feels right.
                            Last edited by Frontline989; 02-19-2020, 03:54 PM.

The Hecata are a sect not a clan.

Comment

• Immortals are canon in my WoD too. Players have yet to knowingly come across any, but they exist.

So are gargoyles (from the eponymous Gargoyles), who have an equally awesome fan splat. David Xanatos is a Syndicate mage in allegiance but not belief. He aligns himself with the Technocracy because he sees them as the winning team, but his own paradigm is pretty flexible and he's willing to associate with all manner of reality deviants. Whatever advances his power.

Blood and Bourbon, my New Orleans-based Vampire chronicle.

Comment

• In my games, the First Anarch Revolt is actually the reason for the Ravnos "bad reputation" versus any innate quality of the Ravnos themselves. The Ravnos were part of the original Anarch revolt against the Elders with the Lasombra, Brujah, Tzimsice, and Assamites. They helped themselves to the diablerie and the aid of their fellows while using their illusions to assist in the destruction of the old order as well as fool the Inquisition.

The thing is, when the Convention of Thorns happened, the Ravnos chose to opt out. They sent no delegates to it and simply faded back into society. This proved to be a mistake as the various vampires divided themselves into sects while forming a community far vaster as well as more interlocked (at least in Europe) than anyone expected. If you weren't Camarilla, you were Sabbat, and there was no room for the Independents. Since the Ravnos had not become Camarilla members, many Princes took the option of enacting revenge upon them for the sins of the Anarchs that were now untouchable.

It would not be until the 19th century that the Camarilla would journey with the British Empire and discover the Ravnos of India were, much to their surprise, an ultra-conservative sect of religious as well as military caste leaders that rivaled the Tremere in terms of absolute control they exerted over their followers. The Ravnos encountered in Europe were uniformly refugees or the outcasts of their sect. Attempts to treat them the same way as their European counterparts ended up with 4th and 5th generation Ravnos banishing Camarilla Elders to eternal nightmares or hells with powers rivaling the Methuselahs of Dark Age Europe.

The stereotype of the Ravnos would also prove utterly untrue for the Ravnos Antitribu who were among those who join either during Thorns or afterward. The Ravnos among the Sabbat taught things like Pack structure, communal havens, nomadic packs, and other things that benefited them greatly but did not noticeably stand out among the Sword of Caine. It is an irony for Ravnos in the Black Hand that being a bunch of criminals, wanderers, and diablerists mean that they're fairly normal Sabbat. The Path of Paradox, already debased from the fact that its practicioners were divorced from the ultra-religious theocracy of India, was quickly replaced with Paths that exalted in indulgence.

With the New World, many European Ravnos fled there and found many of the same problems of "not joining" while not having the kind of Clan support the Assamites, Giovanni, or Setites had. However, it was here that they found themselves a second group to benefit in the Anarch movement. Most Ravnos were skeptical of the Anarchs in both Europe and America, believing the Anarch cause a suckers game but gradually the conflict with Camarilla as well as its growing power led to more of them joining up. So much so that half of the Ravnos in the New World identify as Anarchs as well as a quarter of Europe.

History may well repeat.

Comment

Working...
                                X