[V20] Reflavoring the True Brujah

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [V20] Reflavoring the True Brujah

For a while now I've been kicking around the idea to reflavor the "True Brujah" as the Carthaginian Brujah that survived the Roman(Ventrue) sacking of their city.

The idea being that Said brujah were from when the clan were at the height of their power and were able to study directly under their Ante. All of their members either believed or were embraced and taught to believe that carthage was this paradise on earth where vampires and mortals walked freely side by side, but watching that get crushed is what flipped their clan flaw as a kind of symbolism for watching their greatest hope die. The entire Bloodline has a serious hate on for Clan ventrue, and to a lesser extent the camerilla, but chose to joining the tal'mahe'rah rather than the sabbat so that they could hide themselves away and secretly manipulate the efforts of the Anarchs and Sabbat to destroy the Camarilla from two different fronts.

Non-Carthaginian Brujah are just that, Brujah that didn't originate from carthage or embrace into their bloodline. The only reason they don't have Temporis* is because their sires never got the chance to learn it from their Ante.

*In said re-favor, "Temporis" is a series of rituals developed from the study of Celerity, like Abyss Mysticism is for Obtentration. It's a secret learned directly from the Brujah Ante themselves.

This is interesting, and a solid take on them. My own take is Temporis is something they got from the Yith. But having the True Brujah simply being Carthaginians is a good.

Comment

I wanted to like True Brujah but honestly I have never seen a version of Temporis I can get behind. I loved the Red Death trilogy but it kind of stops there.
      Why not a blood line with just a different weakness?

Comment

If the Path of Entelechy and ancient Greek culture spreading out of Chicago through the Anarch Brujah clan (as seen in Beckett's Jyhad Diary) is a plot that's going to bear any long term fruit instead of being abandoned and forgotten, then the True Brujah are going to need an overhaul in order to carve out a conceptual space where they can exist separately from the rest of the clan. Your idea is a very good start, not least because it finally picks Carthage up and does something meaningful with it.

Comment

I've toyed around with the idea that the Brujah ante was something of an asshole (mainly from the way the revised clanbook depictions went) and ultimately created a bunch of conflicting factions within his own Clan that they enjoy watching fight to see who rises to the top (either by eliminating rivals or dominating the others or whatever.) In a sense they're a bunch of different bloodlines derived along different 4th generation 'leaders' who fight to claim control of the clan. Brujah could do this as a form of darwinism (survival of the fittest and the best to lead), or they may do it simply because they enjoy being contrary, or disruptive. Or maybe they just enjoy the fight. An even nastier possibility was that the surviving bloodline got consumed by the Ante whereupon the entire process begun anew (the goal being either to push Brujah closer to godhood, or simply to get the best 'flavor' of vampire they can feed on.) That way you could also fit the Prometheans in (as a different faction.)

What it kinda sounds like is that your 'reflavoured' True Brujah might either be what happened to the Prometheans (the survivors formed under a single bloodline and sought revenge, adding a bit of 'Children of Osiris' flavor to their origins) or that the Prometheans were one of their 'behind the scenes' ventures to re-create Carthage (making them shadowy manipulators from behind the scenes rather than 'in your face' disruptive revolutionary-types.) Their joining the Black Hand would just be more of that (why they join could be open ended, ranging from 'The Black Hand is manipualting them' to 'they manipulate the black hand' to 'they're working together for mutual interest or to pool resources' or something else.)

Their dislike of the Camarilla and the Ventrue wouldn't be just 'they destroyed Carthage' but also because they view the Ventrue (and Camarilla) as largely autocratic, tyrannical institutions that get in the way of achieving their goals (personal animosity can certainly flavor those 'higher' goals though, no pun intended.) Their manipulations of their more revolutionary brethren (and the Anarchs) would be the opposite - they're too 'destructive/disruptive' to let remain uncontained and unmanaged. Indeed playing those two factions to weaken them both is probably one of the primary goals of your 'True' Brujah. It would also make the Anarch Free States one of the more recent behind-the-scenes manipulations of said True Brujah (although other elements, like the Kuei-Jin invasion may have been unforseen.)

Temporis (and Celerity) are still related in some way, but the relation isn't clear (and neither may be what the Ante actually 'had' as the original discipline. Both may be variations of the original discipline to various degrees for all we know, and given that Ante level is basically 'plot device' at this point it's totally plausible.) I do like treating Temporis as a parallel to Abyss Mysticism. I like that alot.

Comment

Grumpy RPG Reviews what's a Yith?

The die is cast.

Julius Caesar crossing the Rubicon

Comment

The Yith are body-stealing, mind-swapping, time-traveling aliens from the Lovecraftian Mythos. While on Earth they lived 70 million areas ago, but had agents who mind-swapped with people from other ages - such as modern humans.

Comment

Oh. Then you were kidding. Awesome .

The die is cast.

Comment

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Race_of_Yith

Comment

Originally posted by Penelope View Post
                    Oh. Then you were kidding. Awesome .

Actually, I'm not. I'm a fan of mixing things up, to keep the players off balance and to prevent the WoD from becoming too knowable. Cthulhu is not going to show up in a VtM game, but it is useful and interesting to have the PCs deal with brief encounters with things older and more terrible than the children of Caine, to remind them "the night is dark and full of terrors" beyond other vampires.

Edit: The PCs are always the focus of a game, and it should not take on comic-book levels of everyone in pop-culture horror showing up. It is more like swimming at night in the ocean, seeing what might be a shark fin, losing track of the fin, and then feeling something bump your leg....
                    Last edited by Grumpy RPG Reviews; 12-19-2019, 07:20 PM. Reason: The Yith made me do it.

Comment

Grumpy RPG Reviews damn. That last sentence really is kinda scary.

The die is cast.

Comment

[palpatine voice]Good. Goood.[/palpatine voice]

In any case, something as odd as Temporis should have an odd creation. The True Brujah are only odd, in that sense, because of their tie to Temporis. That the Brujah / True Brujah split happened in Carthage is good.

Comment

Originally posted by Grumpy RPG Reviews View Post
                          [palpatine voice]Good. Goood.[/palpatine voice]

In any case, something as odd as Temporis should have an odd creation. The True Brujah are only odd, in that sense, because of their tie to Temporis. That the Brujah / True Brujah split happened in Carthage is good.
                          One of the weirder ideas I came up with was to have Troile Be the Brujah Ante that embraced Troile or at least and alternate timeline Troile. The ability to develope Temporis was the result of The Ante diablerizing their parallel timeline or past self in a way that made their existence impossible chronologically, slightly separating them from the timeline and letting them poke at parts of the time-stream normal people don't have access to.

This would explain why Temporis caused damage to vampires who used it. Temporis is the result of tapping into an Ongoing time paradox that universe is trying to fix by destroying the source, but the Brujah Ante carries the Caine's curse of true immortality and can't be killed normally. Thus anyone using Temporis is hit in the crossfire when the universe's will crashes against the curse of Caine.

Comment

Auspex Celerity Presence seem like a better discipline spread to me or Auspex Presence Temporis if you like the time discipline. I do like the different clan weakness that makes them more detached over time as they see history play out through the centuries. It follows the whole high clan they used to be since vampires snapping at slight provocation is the opposite of how I picture the old Brujah and can't really see such hair trigger types ever earning the reputation of scholars.

Comment

Op's take is interesting and I like it, but I kinda wanna keep things close/within the lines of what's currently present. My take? The Trujah are a bunch of wankers.

Temporis is just celerity, only the Trujah, in their hubris, think that, rather than speeding the vampire up, slows the rest of the world down. They just wanna be contrarian. The weakness is interesting. I think presence doesn't actually fit them, and I'd rather give them Auspex or obfuscate or maybe even fortitude, but all three of those options make a combat munchkin. Maybe dominate or... Blood sorcery.

It's an interesting weakness but I really don't think the brujah default disciplines/temporis as is fits the flaw.

V5 is not VTM

Comment

Working...
                              X