No announcement yet.

Messing with History

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think that the demand change alone is all you need. Silver is arguably a gift offered to humanity for its own protection so supply isn't necessary an issue, but when supernatural parasites begin to drain its supply for their own purposes, humanity's immune system (hunters and the imbued) has a bit of a tougher time dealing with lupines that would rather humanity follow the footsteps of their Neanderthal cousins.

Another, perhaps somewhat silly headcanon:

•Pre-Renaissance legal codes, from Western Europe to East Asia and to North Africa, almost universally possess examples of laws which allow the authorities to place animals on trial as well as people. Modern day academics refer to this as perhaps stemming from the theocratic nature of the Divine Right of Kings, or some other superstition, vampiric elders, particularly amongst Clan Gangrel, claim that this practice reached its height during the Inquisition but had been practiced for a long time as a way of accusing mundane wolves and occasionally even actual vampires for the death and destruction they caused to livestock and humanity alike.

Comment

So I'm making a Dark Ages setting where Gehenna happens with the birth of Christ. My version has the 1st through 5th generations being destroyed. Without the Antediluvians to push back against the church technology is stifled to the point where 2020 won't even see an internal combustion engine let alone a computer or cellphone. Without advances in medicine the earths population is much lower. Basically anything from the Renaissance onward just wont be the same. There isn't True Faith around every corner but the Church controls the world much like the mega corporations of today. Since I'm going to start it BC I doubt we will actually jump all the way to present day.

I do think however the 90's were a much better fit for VTM than today is, in much the same way the 40's were better for Batman than the teens where we have to pretend satellites and street cams can't follow him driving home in the Batmobile. I agree with Legendre that tech has passed this game up. Currently playing in the modern world and it really is keeping my enthusiasm going for writing a long and detailed DA game. For all my dislike of volume 5 and the all powerful SI and setting changes, it's hard to ignore the changes technology has made to the world and thus how it would affect vampire society. I think even if volume 5 had been done well, we are on the verge of being jacked in and Cyber Punk Vampires just aren't my thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Vladikov View Post
        How much do you story tellers alter actual history in your games and if so, why? Successful invasion or assassination fail? Death of an important figure before they achieve greatness? Important discovery delayed? What have you gotten away within your games?
        I keep my WoD quite close to the real thing. I don't change major historical events. Napoleon has to surrender at Waterloo, lest I get lynched by outraged ABBA fans.

Some "mythologized" history - like the assassination of King William II having some kind of connection to witchcraft/paganism, or Bishop Peter des Roches being able to conjure butterflies - aren't myth.

In the middle ages, a lot of buildings have additional cellars and underground areas attached, to provide Kindred with havens. In the modern era, some historic buildings, like Titchfield Abbey, which are mere ruins in the real world, are intact and owned by various Kindred interests.Some real-world buildings, like the West Quay shopping mall in Southampton, are owned and run by different companies, often with Pentex and/or Kindred connections.

Mostly I try to do the conspiracy-theory thing and see the Kindred's invisible hand behind actual events.

Comment

I like that added touch of the cellars from the Middle Ages backwards, those little things that could go overlooked always really seem neat to me.

A couple ideas in that vein:
          •For as long as humanity has been capable of it, cities have had subterranean catacombs and many of them were the designated places where the sickly and dying were sent if it was decided they were beyond saving. These places harbored kindred, especially nosferatu. However, given that this was known, many of them were cleared out by torch and cross during the terror of the Inquisition, and it wouldn't be until the Sabbat put them to use again as they began they struggle with the newly fledged Camarila that they returned to vogue. For a time, the concept fell out of use, as the Renaissance humans used the superstition that their elders had regarded these places with as yet another sign of unreasoning superstition in the dark ages, something they and their descendants would be above.

Now, modern cities do not have catacombs, as America and Australia show. Yet, they do have tunnels... first dug for sewage and then for storage and later on even for subterranean trains. Abandoned piping and abandoned tunnels, lying below their New and modern cities, and while the world above from LA to Moscow scoffs at the superstitions of those long dead, none venture into the abandoned tunnels. The academics and wealthy and safe can afford to laugh. Those on the street see the dark truth for what it is.

Same as it ever was...

Comment

I think the biggest historical edit I made was to take a lot of the new plot developments taking place in V5 and shunt them back in time to the 20's. Right around the time V5 came out I decided to run a 1920's game set in Chicago, so I homebrewed the city and adapted things like the SI to fit the time period. So, for instance, the SI had extensive contacts amongst Prohibition Agents as it made for a great cover. The Anarchs were really pushing all the new trends of the city, flapper culture was a big thing as was the growing blues scene.

Comment

I think that's terrific. Hoover's G-men and the eventual birth of the the FBI having been a potential Inquisition would make a terrific secret for even a modern day setting.

Comment

Originally posted by Reasor View Post
                I think that's terrific. Hoover's G-men and the eventual birth of the the FBI having been a potential Inquisition would make a terrific secret for even a modern day setting.
                Amusingly, it was encountering a vampire in Prohibition Chicago that created the Special Affairs Division.

Author of Cthulhu Armageddon, I was a Teenage Weredeer, Straight Outta Fangton, Lucifer's Star, and the Supervillainy Saga.

Comment

In my WoD, Tennesse's NFL team is called the Tuxedoes and they wear black and white uniforms and have a penguin mascot. This is just because I wanted that to happen in the real world.

What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
                  Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)

Comment

I'm fascinated about what the backstory of the Tuxedoes are and while in sure Wikipedia would have an answer, it sounds like you have a personal vested interest in it NOOQ and so I'm curious to hear your take! : D

Comment

Originally posted by CTPhipps View Post
                      Alan Sovereign: That would be 50% worse.
                      Oh alright then, pay is 12.3% worse and everything costs 12.7% more.

Also, most cities have few (or no) facilities for general public, such as parks, zoos, museums, concert theaters, etc. Mostly these are privately held and for members only. Even having enough money will not get you in, you have to know people and be invited into the "club."

Comment

Is the quarterback of these... Tennessee Tuxedos named Chumley by any chance?

Writing up Clanbook: Aabbt

Comment

Originally posted by No One of Consequence View Post
                          In my WoD, Tennesse's NFL team is called the Tuxedoes and they wear black and white uniforms and have a penguin mascot. This is just because I wanted that to happen in the real world.
                          I wish to learn more.

Author of Cthulhu Armageddon, I was a Teenage Weredeer, Straight Outta Fangton, Lucifer's Star, and the Supervillainy Saga.

Comment

Vysha got it. When The Houston Oilers moved to Tennessee, a number of people, myself included, thought they should name themselves the Tuxedoes after the 1960s cartoon character (voiced by Don Adams). I just find it to have more character than the rather generic and having nothing to do with the state of TN "Titans".

There were two previous attempts to create a team for Memphis prior to the Oilers relocating. One was the Memphis Grizzlies (the name was later used by the NBA) and the Memphis Hound Dogs (created in cooperation. with the Presley estate).

Really, if one wanted to fiddle with the history of the NFL (owing to PENTEX or vampire influence or whathaveyou), there are a number of teams that never were. The Seattle Sea Lions, the Phoenix Firebirds, the St. Louis Stallions, and the Baltimore Bombers, among others. That in addition to fictional teams, such as the New York Hawks and the LA Bangers from Mike Lupica's Bump & Run. The NBA, NHL, and MLB have similar potential what might have beens.

What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
                            Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)

Comment

Wow, that's a lot of deviation. The dark ages game I'm in is around 10 years from the Mongol invasion of Transylvania, so depending on how we screw it up should alter the greater timeline

Comment

Originally posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
                                The name of this thread keeps making me think of the old Jack Link's "Messing with Sasquatch" commercials.
                                Now I have the mental image of Wrinkle giving some prankster lumberjack an atomic wedgie...

Comment

Working...
                                X