Messing with History

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Penelope View Post
    Theodrim I don't understand. What's the difference?
    The past is basically a collection of facts about events, places, and people that have occurred before now. On its own, that has no intrinsic value. History is the collection of stories told about the past, constructing an overarching narrative that contextualizes and evaluates them. And, more broadly, who is telling those stories and why, and what that in turn informs us about the storyteller and the society in which they live.

For example, Abraham Lincoln died on 15 April, 1865. People die everyday, who gives a shit? What makes that matter to us today? Was it that he was a US President? Was it that he was an abolitionist President, who sat the office during the Civil War? Was it that he was shot the evening before by John Wilkes Booth, as part of a Confederate conspiracy? The connective tissue between these facts, the story told based upon them, is what gives them value.

Comment

Theodrim fascinating. Thank you.

The die is cast.

Julius Caesar crossing the Rubicon

Comment

I also think that if you have mind-control that affects massive numbers of people, we're talking a fundamentally different reality than our own.

Author of Cthulhu Armageddon, I was a Teenage Weredeer, Straight Outta Fangton, Lucifer's Star, and the Supervillainy Saga.

Comment

Originally posted by CTPhipps View Post
          I also think that if you have mind-control that affects massive numbers of people, we're talking a fundamentally different reality than our own.
          Not to mention, those capable of said mind control are immortal narcissists who don't blink at the idea of lying through their eyeteeth about their own pasts.

Comment

Originally posted by CTPhipps View Post
            Cambridge Analytica and the Catholic Church agree completely.

Comment

Originally posted by Thoth View Post
              Cambridge Analytica completely.
              Cambridge has nothing on Facebook.

Author of Cthulhu Armageddon, I was a Teenage Weredeer, Straight Outta Fangton, Lucifer's Star, and the Supervillainy Saga.

Comment

Working...
              X