V5 in Top 5 latest icv2 charts

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Trippy View Post

Actually, The Phantom Menace fell short of it’s avowed target at the time of being the biggest movie of all time. It came out a couple of years after Titanic and the promotion was to overtake that movie’s box office. It didn’t.
    Nonsense, that doesn't mean that when it came out it wasn't one of the biggest hit the box office ever had.

[QUOTE]Despite its mixed critical reception, The Phantom Menace was a financial success, breaking many box office records in its debut. It broke The Lost World: Jurassic Park's records for the largest single-day gross for taking more than $28 million in the opening day and fastest to gross $100 million in five days. It grossed $64.8 million in its opening weekend, the second-ever highest at the time.[153] It also became the quickest film to reach the $200 million and $300 million marks, surpassing Independence Day (1996) and Titanic (1997) respectively.[154]The Phantom Menace was 1999's most successful film, staying in the Top 10 until August 5 (11 weeks total), earning $431.1 million in North America and $493.2 million in other territories, taking $924.3 million worldwide.[154]Box Office Mojo estimates that the film sold over 84.8 million tickets in the US in its initial theatrical run.[155] At that time, the film was the third highest-grossing film in North America behind Titanic and Star Wars (1977), and the second highest-grossing film worldwide behind Titanic without adjusting for inflation of ticket prices. When adjusted for ticket price inflation, it ranked as the 19th-highest-grossing film domestically, making it the fourth Star Wars film to be in the Inflation-Adjusted Top 20. Outside North America, the film grossed over $10 million in Australia ($25.9 million), Brazil ($10.4 million), France and Algeria ($43 million), Germany ($53.9 million), Italy ($12.9 million), Japan ($109.9 million), Mexico ($12 million), Spain ($25 million), and the United Kingdom and Ireland ($81.9 million).[156]

So, at the time was without doubt a complete commercial success.

D&D4 almost saw the game flatline in terms of sales, apparently, and it was certainly being overtaken by Pathfinder, pushing it to the No2 slot for the first time in the game’s history. They tried to reverse the trend with their ‘Essentials’ line, and eventually just decided to go the whole hog with a new edition (D&D5). But all this is an aside, really.

Ehm you should check your sources better.
    https://www.enworld.org/threads/top-...resent.662563/

From fall 2008 (D&D 4 relase) to Q1 2011 D&D 4ed has been top in the charts, after that it was the second most sold.

The point is Vampire 5 is here to stay.
    Mmmh... I don't know looking at the charts my impression is that it's doing worse than Requiem did.
    World of Darkness held the 2nd place from 2004

Your view on the game is fine, but subjective. It’s not the view I hold, or indeed others. The online communities are only a fraction of the overall market
    No doubts about it. Sadly, as the sales data shows, Vampire 5th edition is not really doing better than the World of Darkness did.

Comment

Originally posted by jamiemalk View Post

This. Absolutely no interest in V5 outside of horrid fascination at what will be ruined next...
      I recommend you check out Cults of the Blood Gods and Chicago 5. It might change your mind.

Author of Cthulhu Armageddon, I was a Teenage Weredeer, Straight Outta Fangton, Lucifer's Star, and the Supervillainy Saga.

Comment

Online communities account for less than a percent of the overall gaming community.

Oh not really.

You see, if we take ICV2 data, we discover that V5 is doing worse than the World of Darkness did.

the World of Darkness used to score higher in the ICV2 charts.

When the New World of Darkness came out, it managed to stay at the 2nd place for the most part of the period of time that went from Q3 2004 to Q4 2006, and even then it managed to held the 3d place afterward until Q3 2009, which is roughly when White Wolf stopped printing books.

So, at the current time, it's doing worse than the New World of Darkness.

Comment

Originally posted by Undead rabbit View Post

Oh not really.

You see, if we take ICV2 data, we discover that V5 is doing worse than the World of Darkness did.
          That is the dumbest comparison of all time. Seriously. You are actually trying to put down V5 by comparison to tabletop gaming as a whole at its height?

Does your hate of V5 know no limit?

Also, I remind you it's won GAME OF THE YEAR twice so online is not 100% all against V5 too. Probably a plurality at most.
          Last edited by CTPhipps; 01-05-2020, 07:01 PM.

Author of Cthulhu Armageddon, I was a Teenage Weredeer, Straight Outta Fangton, Lucifer's Star, and the Supervillainy Saga.

Comment

Originally posted by CTPhipps View Post

I recommend you check out Cults of the Blood Gods and Chicago 5. It might change your mind.
            Unless they're at least dual statted for V20 or revised, then they won't. V5 is nothing like the game i want to play, let alone support.

Comment

Oh not really.

the World of Darkness used to score higher in the ICV2 charts.

When the New World of Darkness came out, it managed to stay at the 2nd place for the most part of the period of time that went from Q3 2004 to Q4 2006, and even then it managed to held the 3d place afterward until Q3 2009, which is roughly when White Wolf stopped printing books.

So, at the current time, it's doing worse than the New World of Darkness.
              The sales of 'World of Darkness’ games prior to 2008 on the ICV2 charts was based upon all their collective lines together, including all their supplements which were massively abundant. V5 has a single core book and two supplements in circulation to date. So no, you are drawing the wrong conclusions in your comparison. Moreover, the only people who need to make a comparative analysis on how well the line is doing is Modiphius as the license holder. It’s their most popular game - they’ve even announced a miniatures line for it, which is novel - and as such, again, it’s here to stay for the forseeable future.
              Last edited by Trippy; 01-05-2020, 07:09 PM.

Comment

I will read through those threads when I have chance, thank you.

Oh but it's not me. On this forum is roughly the majority, as you will see if you look through the old threads about the V5.
                But, if you wish, you can take a peak at the biggest RPG forum out there, which is RPG.net, and see with your eyes that the reaction to V5 has been... divisive... at best.
                This is the latest big thread about it on RPG.Net
                Again you are making the assumption that, as large as it is, that is the vast majority of players, personally I don't believe that.

If Masquerade goes in this direction it's simply not Masquerade anymore, but just a watered down Requiem. Besides at the current state the game is limited and unplayable, you don't have half of the clans, you don't have Sabbat, you lack elder rules, it's like Vampire the First edition all over again. This is not a step forward but backward to the First edition of the game.
                I, like many others, play Masquerade for the distinctive elements of Masquerade, if I wanted to play with the Carthian, Invictus,VII or anything that resembles Requiem I'd play Requiem, but this is not Requiem: it's (or was) the Masquerade. At the current state there is no reason to support this game line and don't Stick with V20.
                I mean, it is playable, you have all the rules and currently 9 Playable Clans, 11 if you count the Lasombra in CbN 5e and Hecata in CotBG, plus the introduction of the Bloodline rules in CotBG.

I will grant you there are rules missing, such as Elder Rules, Sabbat and 2 Clans, not to mention many of the Bloodlines and more besides. They are updating the entire line which is a big beast and have decided to use the Piecemeal approach. Just because everything isn't there out of the box doesn't mean the game is a bust. You can criticize their release methodology certainly, but I'm not sure that translates to the game itself being 'bad'.

I'm not following you on the connection to Requiem Factions, could you elaborate on this?

There is a differencee between changing ad updating a setting and changing its core essence.
                Revised changed every clan, made the Sabbat the top player, wiped out and entire clan,pushed the anarchs on the edge of ruin, introduced the Kue jin for real, made mithras and Galbraith bite the dust, but It was still the Masquerade. The paradox is that revised changed many more things in terms of setting, but the things that changed in V5 are faaaar deeper in terms of subsequent change in the game identity. A game much less global and more focused in the cities, much less sect policy, and One of the sect completely out of the scene, and even if It will come back It will be barely recognizable. The whole concept of Elder manipulation, that drive the franchise since it's very first entry (remember Lodin?) hindered to it's core. The whole focus of narration pushed to the drama of your lost In humanity, when in Masquerade that was but one of the focuses. In one word: Requiem

I look at this and I see vampire the requiem, which is a good game, but I bought the Masquerade.

The changes in the setting go even deeper than the shockwave that hit Mage with Revised, the only thing that compares is the transformation of The Oblivion in Orpheus.
                Surely the focus of the scope is down to what kind of game you want to run, the setting is just the framework, there's nothing that prevents you running a wide running chronicle, if anything, the changes being wrought allow insight into the inner workings of Sects for characters and gives opportunity to play a part in how that plays out.

The idea of the battle against the beast and Humanity, or your Path of preference, has been a fundamental part of Masquerade for quite a while. The way it is presented in 5e doesn't prohibit stories featuring the other core elements of Masquerade.

As for the removal of Elder Manipulation, I have to say after reading CbN and Fall of London nothing could be further from the truth. The Elder population may have thinned, but there are many still around and weaving their schemes. The Core Book itself states that some have gone and some remain, the option is open for a Storyteller who wants to run an Elder Dominated game to do so, or else have a story about a power vacuum, it's all there to let Storytellers tell what they want, which I see as an expanding of options, not a restriction.

As for the Sabbat, I will concede that point, if you enjoyed what they were there is no way to fix that as I don't think they are coming back how they were.

Comment

Moreover, the only people who need to make a comparative analysis on how well the line is doing is Modiphius as the license holder. It’s their most popular game - they’ve even announced a miniatures line for it, which is novel - and as such, again, it’s here to stay for the forseeable future.
                  Well since Modiphius is a small fish that never made it in a Top 5 ICV2 chart I suppose it shouldn't be too difficult to make them happy.

Comment

Well since Modiphius is a small fish that never made it in a Top 5 ICV2 chart I suppose it shouldn't be too difficult to make them happy.
                    A 'small fish’ that owns the licenses of Star Trek, Conan, Dune, John Carter of Mars, Vampire (of course) and distributes about 50 other titles worldwide.

You, and your opinion are a smaller fish. Anyway, the great thing about this site is you don’t have to suffer negative nellies with silly opinions on games you like - so I’m going to stick you on the ignore list. Feel free to do the same with me.
                    Last edited by Trippy; 01-05-2020, 07:42 PM.

Comment

I was introduced to V20 at my university gaming club maybe five years back. It completely blew everyone away. The guy who introduced it to us had like ten people at his table, it was obviously too much but people came anyway. We were discussing it very often because we were so invested in it. To us, DnD had nothing on V20. Of course, since it was print on demand, I had no Idea it existed till I saw a very large number of people gather around the big green book every wed. I read the whole book, cover to cover, just to get involved and run games myself, because that stuff was dope. I then went on to read virtually every non-city supplement, werewolf and mage. I even got into wraith and demon. The whole thing just... Spoke to me. A rich tapestry of literature that I could deal out and have people lap it up as if it were heroin.

V5 has absolutely nothing on that. If V20 was released now, as a normal release, it would really give DnD a run for the money. V5 is like a British Pizza; It may taste alright but you know there's better.

V5 is not VTM

Comment

A 'small fish’ that owns the licenses of Star Trek, Conan, Dune, John Carter of Mars, Vampire (of course) and distributes about 50 other titles worldwide.
                        And yet none of their tabletop game ever made in the top chart.
                        How sad.

You, and your opinion are a smaller fish. Anyway, the great thing about this site is you don’t have to suffer negative nellies with silly opinions on games you like - so I’m going to stick you on the ignore list. Feel free to do the same with me.

Oh poor boy

Comment

Oh poor boy
                          Just snuck that one in before I hit the button, eh? Good for you - be heartened by the fact that whatever happens online here will have zero effect on the sales, regardless.

And yet none of their tabletop game ever made in the top chart.
                          How sad.
                          And you’ve never had an opinion worth engaging with. How sad. Oh, and Modiphius has had a Top 5 RPG hit: Vampire 5th, with Star Trek also having made the charts before too.
                          Last edited by Trippy; 01-05-2020, 08:44 PM.

Comment

And you’ve never had an opinion worth engaging with. How sad.
                            Oh are you still reading me? Weren't you gonna mute me forever, Big Boy?
                            Last edited by Undead rabbit; 01-05-2020, 08:08 PM.

Comment

It will not. V5 didn't killed Vampire on the side of the sales, it killed it on the side of the quality and on the side of identity, which is very different.
                              No doubt that V5 can be appealing for new fans and to get a wider market share than before. Thing is a lot of people here (but also on RPG.net and other places) thinks that Vampire The Masquerade 5th edition is not a Masquerade game at all.

If I could use a Star Wars reference: even the Phantom Meance was big hit, on the market side.
                              It was also a bad movie.

Or, if we want to keep ourselves in the tabletop realm: D&D 4ed sold well too.
                              But it wasn't really very loved, was it?

Assuming that if a product is bought, than a product is liked is... naive.
                              I bought every entry of V5 until now. And I am a very ardent critic of it and I think it really ruined the franchise.
                              And yet I bought it, and probably I will keep buying some future supplements too.
                              Here in my country, in our fb group, we discuss Revised mainly. Sometimes v20. When someone ask something about the rules everybody answer according to Revised, because this is what is assumed the people is playing. Everyone barely mention v5.

V5 isn't avaliable to our lenguage yet (idk if it will someday), but v20 never was too and was popular here. So...
                              People keep saying that online foruns doesn't matter but here we are. Are we all really that irrelevant? Whatever.

Speaking for me, V5 is not for me. Period. I really do not care if this edition is, or will be, a big hit. I barely comment in this forum.

Things can change if, and only if, the players guide open the possibility to me play as a vampire that feel like a vampire using this edition.

The things in v5 are too cringe (rules about what rouses do to fuck, touchstones overall), too useless (every now and then we see a "roll X + Y to do Z", roll to not freeze, social combat, how vampires dress etc) , or worst than that: too annoying (hunger overall, disciplines beaten with the nerf stick until they are laying in the ground, diablerie giving points of xp etc).

I was in one game IRL until recently and it was Revised, after our ST end the story. It was perfect? Hell no. But play as a vampire feels good
                              Be a powerfull dark creature is good. Cry in a corner, not so.

Comment

Originally posted by jamiemalk View Post

Unless they're at least dual statted for V20 or revised, then they won't. V5 is nothing like the game i want to play, let alone support.
                                Your loss. It's always a shame when you don't get access to awesome writing because of rules bias.

Comment

Working...
                                X