What if the Ravnos pull a hecata?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What if the Ravnos pull a hecata?

So we haven't seen what the ravnos are going to be like in v5 yet. We do know their numbers are decimated and they are practically a bloodline in size. We also know that the current ravnos are a bit problematic and need a meta rebrand. So let's imagine that they do like the hecata and induct a bunch of bloodlines? Maybe a rebranding that focuses on their talents as rogues of entertainers?

This might include
    Daughters of Cacophony
    Kiasyd
    Blood brothers
    Gargoyles

It could make for a really interesting clan combination. It would also allow the clan to diversify from its racial core and expand quickly. What do you guys think?

I thought the Kiasyd were a LAsombra offshoot.

Comment

Originally posted by omenseer View Post
      I thought the Kiasyd were a LAsombra offshoot.
      They are but at least so far there is no indication that they are being treated as a lasombra playbook. Arguably some of the hecata offshoots might have come from other clans as well.

Comment

Originally posted by RadioFreeDeath View Post

They are but at least so far there is no indication that they are being treated as a lasombra playbook. Arguably some of the hecata offshoots might have come from other clans as well.
        But even if true, those bloodlines still had common ground with the Giovanni; necromancy, a signature of the clan and the bloodlines. None of the bloodlines you mentioned, nor any I can think of, have a common thread with the Ravnos beyond being vampire bloodlines. The Ravnos might get a rebranding, but I doubt they'll absorb any pre-existing bloodlines because, as mentioned, they have nothing in common with any of them.

Writing up Clanbook: Aabbt

Comment

Are we discounting completely that they would just write the clan out of game entirely? The Week of Nightmares happens, there's like 100 left, and they're hunted down and killed, either by their own clanmates (i.e., each other) trying to consolidate power, the Kue-jin, the Second Inquisition, the Gangrel--whatever. Or maybe that's the fate that befalls all but the most supremely powerful that somehow survived the Week of Nightmares--so the only Ravnos left is Durga Syn, and she's been Beckoned.

Look, I love the Ravnos--but I am very clearly in some kind of super minority. If discrete aspects of the V:tM IP were stocks, I'd recommend taking a very short position on the Ravnos.

Sig

Comment

Originally posted by CaptOtter View Post
            Are we discounting completely that they would just write the clan out of game entirely? The Week of Nightmares happens, there's like 100 left, and they're hunted down and killed, either by their own clanmates (i.e., each other) trying to consolidate power, the Kue-jin, the Second Inquisition, the Gangrel--whatever. Or maybe that's the fate that befalls all but the most supremely powerful that somehow survived the Week of Nightmares--so the only Ravnos left is Durga Syn, and she's been Beckoned.

Look, I love the Ravnos--but I am very clearly in some kind of super minority. If discrete aspects of the V:tM IP were stocks, I'd recommend taking a very short position on the Ravnos.

I think Mathew Dawkins confirmed in the AMA that we will be getting Ravnos in the player's guide. I can't seem to find the quote right now though.

Comment

Revised fixed the problems of the Ravnos, I rather love their preveddic origins.

It is a time for great deeds!

Comment

Originally posted by RadioFreeDeath View Post

I think Mathew Dawkins confirmed in the AMA that we will be getting Ravnos in the player's guide. I can't seem to find the quote right now though.

Has that changed in the last couple of days? Because last week it was pretty definitively stated they wouldn't be there.

Comment

I'm just going to leave this on the table again, there are two Ex-clans. IF you make Obeah/Valeren/chimestry a set of blood magics you get something very interesting.

Comment

I think that Obfuscate could replace Chismetry, furthermore in the first and second edition, Obfuscate could create complex hallucinations and haunt their tunnels and havens with strange fantasmagorias. In Clanbook Nosferatu, for example.

Comment

Ravnos were defo completely fine in V20. Part of me says "leave them alone" but another part of me says "End V5" so, like, the more dumb moves the better.

Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two make four. If that is granted, all else follows.

Comment

I see them as being dispersed and integrated, mostly in communities that are less inclined to discriminate by lineage. Since the Week of Nightmares, there could be multiple, tiny new bloodlines that have almost nothing to do with one another, a few of which consider themselves the closest remnants of the previous clan. I still think that the flashier uses of chimestry are most useful when nobody expects you're Ravnos, because the odds of meeting a kindred who knows some blood sorcery that you've never seen is higher than meeting one who can use chimestry.

Comment

Originally posted by Justycar View Post
                          I think that Obfuscate could replace Chismetry, furthermore in the first and second edition, Obfuscate could create complex hallucinations and haunt their tunnels and havens with strange fantasmagorias. In Clanbook Nosferatu, for example.

OR they could play up the whole idea that it isn't "mental" at all. V20 and Revised hit home pretty hard chimestry was "wierd" did it have something to do with the Dreaming? There was a neat tie into the Maya from HInduism right there... and honestly if they want to smush together "ex clans" like they did necromancers well there you go...

Comment

Storywise I think this is a great time for a reimagining of the Clan. The writers should really go big. The Hecata (meta) story is really well presented in Cult of the Blood Gods. I think the Ravnos need a similar treatment. I never really saw the clan flaw played well, at least according to the fluff from the Book of Nod and other sources. Sure players played the flaw from the core rulebook, but the outcast part, the forced nomadic lifestyle was never really implemented. Great for SPCs but no so much for PCs.

Maybe instead of the clan of outcasts they become the clan of Fate: Rebels, Adherents and Arbiters. A move already started in the Clanbook revised. Hell, maybe there is still some debt owed to the dreaming which Ravnos' descendents must pay. I would advocate against getting rid of the Ravnos Illusions though. It is their signature power. Might as well just make them dead and gone if you remove the power of Illusion unless you replace it with something equally interesting.

Unlike the Hecata, I thiink the clan should fracture. The hunger frenzy, and diablerie of kin during the week of Nightmares would make individuals distrusting of their fellow clan mates. The norm would be individuals looking out for themselves or small families of intertwined lineages lead by one or three family elders. When I say elder I mean Ancilla as the remaining Elders can be counted on two hands and one foot. The clan remains apart not because of a curse anymore but because of fear. They are vulnerable as no Ravnos can trust another Ravnos to have their back unless that ravnoss is part of their close family. Loyalty to a lineage, both undead and mortal might explain their ties to certain groups of outcasts in society.

Lastly I think the clan is racing to the top and the bottom. Families are encouraging their members to embrace mortals that would fit into the clan. Since most of the clan is Ancilla or Neonates this means most of the new embraces are Caitiff or Duskborn. Having already suffered their own Gehenna the families do not fear the Caitiff or Dusk born presence. Families are very protective of their own no matter their generation. Being Ravnos is more an ideal than blood alone. On the flipside, Ravnos that travel the world and have no family ties hate the Caitiff and Duskborn as reminders of the horror that was inflicted upon them. They are zealot hunters of the signs of gehenna. While Ravnos families are trying to strengthen themselves with numbers, individual Ravnos who have left their Jati for adventure or due to familial strife seek power by lowering their generation. Having raced to the top as far as they can get these lone Ravnos may start their own family and begin a race to the bottom. .

Comment

It would be feasible to take the Ravnos in any number of directions. Once the devs/owners have a vision for the clan that they're willing to proceed with, though, I think it'll be time to bring the Antedeluvian back. Killing the Ravnos Antedeluvian was ansolid way of putting an embarrassing relic from previous editions out of play on a high shelf, but Ravnos surely has Obfuscate and Chimerstry until the cows come home, there's no reason for the Antedeluvian to have failed to fake its own death beyond editorial fiat.
                              Last edited by Reasor; 01-22-2020, 04:13 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X