[5E] Chicago by Night discussion

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I want to add.
    I really like Abraham DuSable. He seems like a very cool character, with both a global goal and an intimate undercurrent, and a fun relatable approach to House Tremere.
    What I don't like is him being a sockpuppet of Helena. Which is not even mentioned in his write-up. It also sucks that despite being a single chantry, all three Tremere don't want anything to do with each other, all have independent havens, and have very little connections in their write-ups.

Comment

The Tremere in Chicago 5th are not at the best moment, certainly. With the Primogen missing or death and their fragmentation, they are losing influence and ere even not invited to the Elysium. That decadence is their main political plot, in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by CTPhipps View Post

This isn't the Beckoning according to THE ANARCHS so much as she just left Chicago.
        In Chicago by Night it states:
        "The Brujah have ever been a clan of individuals, yet it was the wish of Tyler, one of the eldest Brujah of Chicago, that the clan unite against Ventrue tyranny. Before the Beckoning drew her away from the Windy City, she addressed Critias and instructed him to keep the clan together."

Comment

Originally posted by Mithras304 View Post
          In Chicago by Night it states:
          "The Brujah have ever been a clan of individuals, yet it was the wish of Tyler, one of the eldest Brujah of Chicago, that the clan unite against Ventrue tyranny. Before the Beckoning drew her away from the Windy City, she addressed Critias and instructed him to keep the clan together."
          V5 is weird that way as she showed up stabbing a Sheriff in a random town.

Author of Cthulhu Armageddon, I was a Teenage Weredeer, Straight Outta Fangton, Lucifer's Star, and the Supervillainy Saga.

Comment

V5 is weird that way as she showed up stabbing a Sheriff in a random town.
            It's either deliberate contradictions like in previous editions where they muddy the water on what's true, or just continuity gaff's that have slipped through, also like previous editions!

Comment

What did you like about the book?
              * I love the way the writers have made use of the old books but made it their own. The writing is really nice and the story of what has happened in Chicago is great. I like it when the NPCs grow or fall of grace within their own existence. It makes the NPC feel more alive.

* Much beautiful art pieces and Klara's "The sacrifice" was really fun to play through.

What did you dislike about it?
              * That the characters are stat:ed perfectly but no one has specialties with Science skill, which should give an automagical specialization.

* Bennet Steadman's picture feels anatomical bizarre.

* I do not like Francois Mamuwalde and for some unknown reason he has become the fall guy i our campaign and last session one of the other players diablerized him just to make certain he was dead.
              Having Nerissa a Gen 4 is a lousy way to get a counter balance

Who is your favorite updated character?
              * Anita, Gengis and Rosa

Who is your favorite new character?
              * New to me: Talley

* New to the game. Sierra and Sun Che as well as Lester Knife

How did you like the Lasombra update?
              * Little harsh with stains, 20 % of the time.

Anything you would have done differently?
              * Maybe be gentler towards Lasombra
              * Make Helena has more powerful amalgams in order to show her awesome age
              * Nicolai's rituals.
              * what happened with the gargoyle?

Comment

Originally posted by Little_Miss_ Serneholt View Post
                * what happened with the gargoyle?
                Pretended it doesn't exist, because otherwise the instant they have it in there half the player base would be demanding to know where the rules for playing Gargoyles are.

Comment

Originally posted by GilbyTheFat View Post
                  Pretended it doesn't exist, because otherwise the instant they have it in there half the player base would be demanding to know where the rules for playing Gargoyles are.
                  Ublo left with Nicolai.

Matthew Dawkins
                  In-House Developer for Onyx Path Publishing

Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/matthewdawkins

Comment

Some more thoughts:

1. Joshua Tarponski/Blackjack: I think if I were to use him then I would probably update him to be the new variant of the Brujah sellout. I'm hoping we'll see him in one of the supplements but if I were to have him as the Baron of the Suburbs or more rural Chicago, I'd have his big change be that of the "conservative Anarch." If you go to his domain, you have to kiss his ring and abide by his strictures the same as the Camarilla and will get the house brought down on you. It'd be a variant on Tyler who basically filled much of the same role in previous editions. It might also make people wonder if he's basically Modius as he might have been at the start of his career before failure and insanity took him.

2. The Art: The art really is fantastic for this book and the look for it is what I love most about it. It's so vibrant, colorful, and evocative that I think it may be my favorite art in the entire history of roleplaying after Larry Elmore (Dragonlance) and the original B&W Bradstreet art. I especially love the fact that a lot of the art pieces tell actual stories. V20 was a previous gold standard for art but this tops even it. I can't wait to see what they have in the supplements as what I've seen is really impressive.

3. Adze: The Caitiff Blood Disco is something that I absolutely love. I love that there's an entire cult/organization of Caitiff that Lodin and company completely missed existing fro decades. However, I kind of got annoyed that no one applies the word "Anarch" to these people because it pretty much is tailor made for them. They're an independent non-Camarilla sect with its own heirarchy and rules as well as working for Caitiff equality. It reminds me a bit of how they never applied it to Lucita. Adze is also a far more successful Anarch than Maldavis and Anita really.

4. Red No. 5: I love the opening fiction that reminded me a bit of the Chain Smoker's "Selfie." It was a bit parody like but we were all stupid in our early twenties. I also liked how that the goofy slightly drunk attitude of the girls slowly receded to the horror of the fact that they were witnesses to murder--yet still showed up at the club again. I also enjoy the club exists as an alternative to the Succubus Club scene. Hip Hop and R&B to the Gothic rock/techno scene.

5. Steadman: On a related note? I really like Bennet Steadman's likely treason against his patrons. This may just me be imagining it but I think there's an implication that he is a bit less wild and more conservative than his bosses. Someone like Kevin Jackson is someone he'd aspire to be more like and there'd be an appeal there that the Prince (or Damien) could go for.

6. Rose: Yes, I definitely think she's become one of the most interesting updated characters in the book. I really like how she's probably the biggest Camarilla loyalist and working to reconcile with the Gangrel but they fully intend to throw her under the bus. Her conversation with Rudi was very interesting as well and I have to give them props for including him after his less than stellar reception in The Anarch sourcebook.

Author of Cthulhu Armageddon, I was a Teenage Weredeer, Straight Outta Fangton, Lucifer's Star, and the Supervillainy Saga.

Comment

I fucking love the art! but not the contents as it seems:
                      • The political Drama is reduced as the primogen council is now pathetic and the bizantine politics are gone
                      • Menele diying leaves Helena without nothing interesting to offer and kills the layer of conspiracies that was the soul of previous by nights
                      • The blood disco makes no sense as there is no way that Lodin couldn´t have noticed because he was the city when he ruled not to mention that Nerisa Blackwater is just a powerhouse without purpouse she just exist and an example of bad writting
                      • The elders are to weak and not up to the fluff they are supposed to do (Helena is pathetic , Critias is Ok statwise because he never was supposed to be strong and wasted a lot of his time on a forest feeding of animal but him obeying kevin jackson is downright pathetic)
                      • Kevin Jackson being the prince makes sense and I like it but he has no real oposition and thus no drama at all
                      • The getting a stain when using obtenebration and LaSombra bane make the line almost unplayable

I won´t buy the book becuase i need the bizantine politics salsa and this edition is not spicy enought to my tastes however I hope that those who buy it have fun with it and I also hope to further debate about the character because even if I don´t like this edition i fucking love to the bone Chicago 1ed , 2ed and the setting.

https://www.deviantart.com/cicerondixit/gallery

Comment

Why are people wrting Lasombra with a capital S. Yes I know the name means "The Shadow" in Spanish but the Name is Lasombra and always hasbeen. It would be calling the TreMere as in "Three More" in Swedish.

Comment

Some more thoughts:

1. Joshua Tarponski/Blackjack: I think if I were to use him then I would probably update him to be the new variant of the Brujah sellout. I'm hoping we'll see him in one of the supplements but if I were to have him as the Baron of the Suburbs or more rural Chicago, I'd have his big change be that of the "conservative Anarch." If you go to his domain, you have to kiss his ring and abide by his strictures the same as the Camarilla and will get the house brought down on you. It'd be a variant on Tyler who basically filled much of the same role in previous editions. It might also make people wonder if he's basically Modius as he might have been at the start of his career before failure and insanity took him.

2. The Art: The art really is fantastic for this book and the look for it is what I love most about it. It's so vibrant, colorful, and evocative that I think it may be my favorite art in the entire history of roleplaying after Larry Elmore (Dragonlance) and the original B&W Bradstreet art. I especially love the fact that a lot of the art pieces tell actual stories. V20 was a previous gold standard for art but this tops even it. I can't wait to see what they have in the supplements as what I've seen is really impressive.

3. Adze: The Caitiff Blood Disco is something that I absolutely love. I love that there's an entire cult/organization of Caitiff that Lodin and company completely missed existing fro decades. However, I kind of got annoyed that no one applies the word "Anarch" to these people because it pretty much is tailor made for them. They're an independent non-Camarilla sect with its own heirarchy and rules as well as working for Caitiff equality. It reminds me a bit of how they never applied it to Lucita. Adze is also a far more successful Anarch than Maldavis and Anita really.

4. Red No. 5: I love the opening fiction that reminded me a bit of the Chain Smoker's "Selfie." It was a bit parody like but we were all stupid in our early twenties. I also liked how that the goofy slightly drunk attitude of the girls slowly receded to the horror of the fact that they were witnesses to murder--yet still showed up at the club again. I also enjoy the club exists as an alternative to the Succubus Club scene. Hip Hop and R&B to the Gothic rock/techno scene.

5. Steadman: On a related note? I really like Bennet Steadman's likely treason against his patrons. This may just me be imagining it but I think there's an implication that he is a bit less wild and more conservative than his bosses. Someone like Kevin Jackson is someone he'd aspire to be more like and there'd be an appeal there that the Prince (or Damien) could go for.

6. Rose: Yes, I definitely think she's become one of the most interesting updated characters in the book. I really like how she's probably the biggest Camarilla loyalist and working to reconcile with the Gangrel but they fully intend to throw her under the bus. Her conversation with Rudi was very interesting as well and I have to give them props for including him after his less than stellar reception in The Anarch sourcebook.
                          I think being Anarch and being Autarkis have to remain separate things, of either is to mean anything. Lucita was Autarkis, if she was anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Nicolas Milioni View Post
                            Adze man,Adze rocks!
                            I like Adze, too, and his relationship with Erzulie is neat. I think Erzulie is an LGBT+ character done well.

Check out my DriveThruRPG books at: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse....=Carrie%20Kube

Comment

Originally posted by Yaoi Huntress Earth View Post

I like Adze, too, and his relationship with Erzulie is neat. I think Erzulie is an LGBT+ character done well.
                              Oh she's awesome too

Comment

Speaking of LGBT+ characters, I wish more was done with Rowan than just having them be a non-cis performer who'd rather hang out with burners than do any real scheming, having any true goals, or doing anything interesting related to the kindred condition. Sure, they're useful if you need info on modern gender trends (Alexa Santos could do that as well) and they have the bat boy rumor, but I would've rather had Tammy back instead. (I felt sorry for her in CbN 2e.)

Check out my DriveThruRPG books at: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse....=Carrie%20Kube

Comment

Working...
                                X