Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mithras stats in Fall of London

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #61
    Originally posted by Eldagusto View Post


    Not exactly, higher level Garou are Monsters. The pack that took on Mithras was a war pack from multiple septs, and they were rank 1-3 basically the new generation roused up for a crusade from visions. And Mithras was guarded by a full retinue, its not said if they were packing silver but since Mithras knows the pulse of his city I would wager at least one of his guard had emergency silver bullets, but they were ideally not expecting an army of Lupines. And Mithras' main advantage was in all likelihood his Dominance and Presence triggering Rage to turn the group against each other.
    If by Pulse of the City, you mean the Presence 9 discipline power, no, Mithras didn't have that ability. Though he did have Dominate 9 / Presence 8, which is enough to drive Garou one against the other easily.

    - Saga

    Comment


    • #62
      Originally posted by Saga View Post

      If by Pulse of the City, you mean the Presence 9 discipline power, no, Mithras didn't have that ability. Though he did have Dominate 9 / Presence 8, which is enough to drive Garou one against the other easily.

      - Saga
      Oh I forgot that was a Kindred power, no I mean he keeps abreast of things, and if a small army of Manbeasts hop into town he probably would know something was up.


      It is a time for great deeds!

      Comment


      • #63
        Originally posted by Logothétēs View Post


        Didn't Elders try to defend their Sept(s) against Baba Yaga personally coming over and got swatted away like buzzing insects?
        They got swatted by flies by the Giant Radiactive hellfire breathing dragons the Little Grandmother sent against them, and they were usually followed by one of Baba Yaga's various armies working as shock troops. Their was very little mention of Baba Yaga physically fighting things. She is a brute even without magic though as she has a custom variant of the combo discipline Talons of Fenris. They did have that Gangrel Elder who was dug up from daylight torpor and the Garou let their guard down and he celerity killed 7 of them in a sort of last minute death throws reverse ambush, but that I felt was a bit much a Gangrel dug out during the day having the capabilities to kill 7 friggin Garou just because they thought he was done for by being exposed to the sun...


        It is a time for great deeds!

        Comment


        • #64
          Originally posted by Gangrel44 View Post
          Then V5 is doomed to fail........V5 will be spoken of in the same manner as D&D 4th ed.
          Why? V5 could do better in having more detailed rules for maintaining and keeping Convictions to make inhuman moralities easier to emulate with Humanity, but none of the changes of V5 are going to doom it to failure if the developers build on them (even though some, like Hunger, need more refinement).

          The thing with D&D 4e was that it took a game which until then had been designed around exploring dungeons and getting loot (even in 3e, although it had switched assumptions somewhat), and made it about miniatures combat. V5 is still a game about engaging in political struggles and holding onto your humanity, the changes have been in how morality works (having an inhuman morality is now nearly impossible, which is a shame) and how powers work (multiple powers for levels above five have been replaced with a variety of powers for levels 1-5, but a hard cap on the number of powers you can have from one discipline).

          V5 is essentially in the same boat as Requiem 1e was, and Requiem 1e certainly isn't considered to be on the level that D&D4e is (in fact the main criticism I tend to see of it is that it didn't change enough, and 2e is heavily liked).I expect any eventual 6e will walk back some of the setting changes and make it less Bloodlines the TTRPG, bringing back the Sabbat and reducing the danger from the Second Inquisition somewhat, but I'm not sure it'll have the sweeping mechanic returns people want of explicitly stated paths and 'Elder powers' (partially because Paths would be redundant if players are given more control over their morality, and the need for elder powers is much less if you let character have more than five powers from one discipline).

          Honestly I suspect V5's eventual success if going to depend on Bloodlines 2, how much that directs people towards the game and how much the differences put people off.


          Blue is sarcasm.

          If I suggestion I make contradicts in-setting metaphysics please ignore me, I probably brought in scientific ideas.

          Comment


          • #65
            Originally posted by Eldagusto View Post

            Oh I forgot that was a Kindred power, no I mean he keeps abreast of things, and if a small army of Manbeasts hop into town he probably would know something was up.
            Well, in V5 they changed that.

            Back in 2nd ed/revised Mithras fell to torpor after the German bombings and was taken to a cellar under Centre Point, Central London. He woke up there and fought the lupines across Oxford street (How cool would it be to be at the Runway Club and when you exit, you get to see Mithras tearing a dozen of lupines through the street!).

            Now in V5, the event took place 20 kms away from there. The explosion that sent Mithras to torpor was in Waltham Abbey, just outside the M25, and then he barely escaped to the sourthernmost tip of the Epping forest. (Now, knowing the city as Mithras did, Area Knowledge: London 9 + Intelligence 9, even in frenzy going to a FOREST where he knew that lupines could be is a really dumb move. I'm surprised they didn't find him before his awakening).

            - Saga

            Comment


            • #66
              Just one of the many reasons outsourcing V5 was a mistake and we're going to be stuck with this limp, worse version of the world of Darkness until Onyx is allowed to write the 6th edition.

              Comment


              • #67
                Originally posted by Orphan81 View Post
                Just one of the many reasons outsourcing V5 was a mistake and we're going to be stuck with this limp, worse version of the world of Darkness until Onyx is allowed to write the 6th edition.
                What you mean with outsourcing?

                Comment


                • #68
                  Originally posted by blailton View Post

                  What you mean with outsourcing?

                  The core 5th edition Vampire the Masquerade was not written by Onyx Path Staff. Hell, it wasn't even written under the same company. Paradox interactive the company that bought the rights to the World of Darkness from CCP put together their own team to create the new edition. Martin Erricson and Keneth Hite were the two in charge of the creation of the new edition. Most of the Metaplot changes, and the decision to refocus the game entirely on Camarilla and Anarch came from Erricson... Erricson also wanted to take the game away from focusing on North America and repurpose it towards Europe.

                  Erricson left Paradox/White wolf not to long ago over creative differances.

                  I absolutely love Kenneth Hite's work... But this is a guy whose literally gone on record of saying he hates Vampires and see's all of them as being Villains... and his design choices and changes to the system clearly reflect this.

                  So basically, Paradox brought in a team of outsiders that created the equivalent of their own "Fan Fiction" edition of Vampire the Masquerade... and after those original designers left or were let go... they kicked the ball back to Onyx Path who is now the one being forced to run with it and create material for it.

                  Before this all happened, Eddie Webb had actually announced a Vampire the Masquerade 4th Edition (Because Onyx Path didn't consider 20th Anniversary to be a 4th edition, they considered it an anniversary edition. When Paradox bought the rights to the White Wolf name and the WoD they decided the 20th Anniversaries would stand in for 4th edition products) that was to be developed by Onyx Path... and it's *THIS* version of Masquerade I would have really liked to have seen. But because of legal entanglements and ownership changes, we'll never know what could have been.

                  Comment


                  • #69
                    Originally posted by Orphan81 View Post


                    The core 5th edition Vampire the Masquerade was not written by Onyx Path Staff. Hell, it wasn't even written under the same company. Paradox interactive the company that bought the rights to the World of Darkness from CCP put together their own team to create the new edition. Martin Erricson and Keneth Hite were the two in charge of the creation of the new edition. Most of the Metaplot changes, and the decision to refocus the game entirely on Camarilla and Anarch came from Erricson... Erricson also wanted to take the game away from focusing on North America and repurpose it towards Europe.

                    Erricson left Paradox/White wolf not to long ago over creative differances.

                    I absolutely love Kenneth Hite's work... But this is a guy whose literally gone on record of saying he hates Vampires and see's all of them as being Villains... and his design choices and changes to the system clearly reflect this.

                    So basically, Paradox brought in a team of outsiders that created the equivalent of their own "Fan Fiction" edition of Vampire the Masquerade... and after those original designers left or were let go... they kicked the ball back to Onyx Path who is now the one being forced to run with it and create material for it.

                    Before this all happened, Eddie Webb had actually announced a Vampire the Masquerade 4th Edition (Because Onyx Path didn't consider 20th Anniversary to be a 4th edition, they considered it an anniversary edition. When Paradox bought the rights to the White Wolf name and the WoD they decided the 20th Anniversaries would stand in for 4th edition products) that was to be developed by Onyx Path... and it's *THIS* version of Masquerade I would have really liked to have seen. But because of legal entanglements and ownership changes, we'll never know what could have been.
                    I remember my happyness when it was announced V:tM 4 ed. I saw a post on facebook and damn I was so excited!
                    But then a year later and nothing, sadly.

                    What you are saying is so infuriating. Garou are way worse than a vampires right? I don't think so then why he only hate Cainites?

                    I would like to see Onyx Path v4 to compare. What do you think it would be like?

                    Dude all of this bring me back memories. Remember they created a thread asking advice to the fanbase and everyone could tell what was expected from v5? They promised it would be a ONE WoD where all the supernaturals could be together in crossover? That look like a impossible dream now.
                    Last edited by blailton; 02-10-2020, 07:33 PM.

                    Comment


                    • #70
                      Double post.
                      Last edited by blailton; 02-10-2020, 07:32 PM. Reason: Double post.

                      Comment


                      • #71
                        I like how the head of a cult only has a 4/5 knowledge of it. /s

                        Comment


                        • #72
                          Four dots in a Skill is a certified expert in it. I think you can make a convincing argument for Mithras to have more, but four dots isn't anything to sneeze at.


                          Blood and Bourbon, my New Orleans-based Vampire chronicle.

                          Comment


                          • #73
                            Maybe he hasn't kept up with how the cult has spread and changed over the years. Plus, that thing about being knocked into five decades of torpor by the Blitz would really put you behind on current developments.

                            Comment


                            • #74
                              Originally posted by Matt the Bruins fan View Post
                              Maybe he hasn't kept up with how the cult has spread and changed over the years. Plus, that thing about being knocked into five decades of torpor by the Blitz would really put you behind on current developments.

                              V5 modified that.

                              What drove him to torpor was an intentional huge explosion north of London.

                              - Saga

                              Comment


                              • #75
                                Originally posted by Saga View Post


                                V5 modified that.

                                What drove him to torpor was an intentional huge explosion north of London.

                                - Saga
                                But fortitude 5 let you ignore the first source of damage in each turn...
                                Ok v5, ok. Let it go.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X