No announcement yet.

The Chicago Folio - I have my backer copy

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The one thing I'll strongly disagree with CTPhipps on is the blood sorcery rituals. We really don't need a return to "Thaumaturgy does other disciplines except better". The Loresheets chapter also changes the rules on how many Loresheets you can take, in a way that I don't like.

Apart from that, though, agreed! The idea of a scenario book didn't appeal to me at first, but now that I have it in front of me, it's a goldmine for an ST.

Comment

Originally posted by Draconis View Post
      The one thing I'll strongly disagree with CTPhipps on is the blood sorcery rituals. We really don't need a return to "Thaumaturgy does other disciplines except better". The Loresheets chapter also changes the rules on how many Loresheets you can take, in a way that I don't like.

Apart from that, though, agreed! The idea of a scenario book didn't appeal to me at first, but now that I have it in front of me, it's a goldmine for an ST.
      I admit, I was hoping we'd find out Eletria and Maxwell's fate in this book.

However, I suppose we'll find out in LET THE STREETS RUN RED.

This is a really solid 177 page book, which is a good sized supplement. I was expecting something more like 60 page. I'm wondering if Modipihius has cancelled the POD for this as well as the ones for Cults of the Blood Gods as well.

That would be a shame.

Author of Cthulhu Armageddon, I was a Teenage Weredeer, Straight Outta Fangton, Lucifer's Star, and the Supervillainy Saga.

Comment

Some thoughts on the book as a whole:

1. Al Capone as being a vampire working from the shadows to take over the city covertly is something I rather like and think actually makes him a bit more sinister. The thing is that it kind of runs into the same mental space as Olaf One-Eye and I kind of wish it'd mention what would happen if both of them crossed paths.

2. I can't really get behind the completely insane burned-out and horribly mutated version of Lodin. I'd be kind of interested if they'd included a adventure hook for helping him recover to his old nasty self versus an adventure about "rescuing" a sex trafficking victim by sending her back to her pimp. That's closer to the street level stuff that V5 is all about, though.

3. Milena Aronyan is a great character and I have to say probably my favorite in the entire story just for the idea of a Ventrue Plumber. It's a concept that shouldn't tickle me as much as it does but I just love her.

4. Not a big fan of Jennifer MacKay, which is weird because I usually love feminist reinterpretations. I think I may dislike her because not only is her presentation pretty deliberately insane but she's planning on murdering a black female ex-slave Ventrue in her audience as well.

5. I also like Amelia Locke and Tatiana because they really are a cute love story of two Kindred who would be interesting on their own but have a relationship that adds new dimensions to their story. I also feel like Joseph Peterson is more interesting for the simple fact that he Embraced Amelia.

6. As mentioned, I hate the fact that we don't know how Joshua ended up being the Baron of a region outside Chicago proper and what sort of kingdom he set up. He's Prince of a small town of only 100,000+ people but he's still Prince. Oh, I'm sorry, Baron. I also kind of wish we'd get his perspective on Bernie Sanders.

7. I think some of the adventure hooks are a little on the low stakes side (no pun intended) while others are very interesting. Quite a few of them are just character pieces and I do think yiou can get away with that in V:TM more than in other games.

8. I like how cold, cruel, and awful the Second Inquisition is generally depicted. This is not a heroic group of people and they're manufacturing monsters, exterminating people, and generally behaving as fascists do. I like that Shejana, in particular, hates them all.

9. It's kind of funny about the Seven Fires because the Sabbat becoming a bunch of Satanic cell-based terrorist organization with no centralized leadership is exactly what I did with them in my 5E game anyway. I also like how they made Samson, a character that was originally just dumb muscle, into a genuinely terrifying character.

10. Speaking of Sejana, I'm surprisingly okay with the Ravnos becoming Caitiff and just ending the Bloodline. I actually am mostly okay with this because I felt Shejana was a tastefully done handling of a true RL atrocity.

Author of Cthulhu Armageddon, I was a Teenage Weredeer, Straight Outta Fangton, Lucifer's Star, and the Supervillainy Saga.

Comment

Originally posted by CTPhipps View Post

I admit, I was hoping we'd find out Eletria and Maxwell's fate in this book.

However, I suppose we'll find out in LET THE STREETS RUN RED.

This is a really solid 177 page book, which is a good sized supplement. I was expecting something more like 60 page. I'm wondering if Modipihius has cancelled the POD for this as well as the ones for Cults of the Blood Gods as well.

That would be a shame.
          Eletria and Maxwell are covered in Let the Streets Run Red. Both the Chicago Folios and Let the Streets Run Red will have print on demand options because these books were arranged before Modiphius became involved.

Matthew Dawkins
          In-House Developer for Onyx Path Publishing

Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/matthewdawkins

Comment

Originally posted by The Gentleman Gamer View Post

Eletria and Maxwell are covered in Let the Streets Run Red. Both the Chicago Folios and Let the Streets Run Red will have print on demand options because these books were arranged before Modiphius became involved.
            That is awesome news. I really want these two books on my bookshelf.

Comment

That is awesome news. I really want these two books on my bookshelf.

It won't be too long!

As for your gripe regarding Joshua Tarnopolski not getting a full bio or Anita Wainwright not getting a Loresheet, alas, we have only limited space. I would imagine Blackjack moved out of Chicago proper before Tyler departed. At the time, he probably felt he was leaving the city in safe hands. Obviously things have changed for the Brujah since then.

As for what Capone and Lodin would think of each other now? Capone would struggle to not laugh in his sire's face and Lodin would struggle to not rip Capone to shreds. If they could get over their mutual animosity, they could work well together as powers behind the city, especially if they were able to get Neally on side.

Matthew Dawkins
              In-House Developer for Onyx Path Publishing

Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/matthewdawkins

Comment

Originally posted by The Gentleman Gamer View Post
                It won't be too long!
                I really tore through The Chicago Folios. I'm already desperate for Let the Streets Run Red. Will print them as soon as the option is available.

As for your gripe regarding Joshua Tarnopolski not getting a full bio or Anita Wainwright not getting a Loresheet, alas, we have only limited space. I would imagine Blackjack moved out of Chicago proper before Tyler departed. At the time, he probably felt he was leaving the city in safe hands. Obviously things have changed for the Brujah since then.
                Thanks for the info. Certainly, as an Ancilla gets older he wants to have his own stable hunting ground.

But you guys managed to pack a huge amount of information in 177 pages of vampire lore as well as give answers to some longstanding questions about the setting's 2020 situation.

So thanks!

As for what Capone and Lodin would think of each other now? Capone would struggle to not laugh in his sire's face and Lodin would struggle to not rip Capone to shreds. If they could get over their mutual animosity, they could work well together as powers behind the city, especially if they were able to get Neally on side.
                Nice bit with Neally interested in the Cult of Shalim. For a guy who has been miserable and self-hating his entire life, Oblivion would seem like a blessing.

Too bad the Gods under Lake Michigan don't want to help him.

It's kind of the perfect coda to Neally's journey. He can't even join an evil cult without it going horribly wrong for him (and it's the second time he's done it).
                If he joined the Church of Set, he'd probably receive Osiris' blessing. He is truly Caine's butt monkey.

Comment

Nice bit with Neally interested in the Cult of Shalim. For a guy who has been miserable and self-hating his entire life, Oblivion would seem like a blessing.

Too bad the Gods under Lake Michigan don't want to help him.

It's kind of the perfect coda to Neally's journey. He can't even join an evil cult without it going horribly wrong for him (and it's the second time he's done it).
                  If he joined the Church of Set, he'd probably receive Osiris' blessing. He is truly Caine's butt monkey.

Thanks! I went pretty much through a similar thought process when writing that bit. I made a list (much as the rabbi did) and the more I thought about Neally (being a long time fan of Chicago by Night through all the editions), the more it all clicked.

Joshua Alan Doetsch
                  Freelance Writer
                  joshuadoetsch.com

Comment

Every description of the Sabbat in 5th edition draws more and more an image of the VII of Requiem. And now, naming a pack the 7 fires, I wonder if it is a coincidence.

Comment

Originally posted by Justycar View Post
                      Every description of the Sabbat in 5th edition draws more and more an image of the VII of Requiem. And now, naming a pack the 7 fires, I wonder if it is a coincidence.
                      Weird, i was getting a much more Belial's Brood feel but BB reminded me of the original 1st Edition Sabbat that were scary packs infiltrating your home.

Originally posted by scrivnomancer View Post

Thanks! I went pretty much through a similar thought process when writing that bit. I made a list (much as the rabbi did) and the more I thought about Neally (being a long time fan of Chicago by Night through all the editions), the more it all clicked.
                      Well it's an awesome twist. Great write-up. In the end, Neally will always be the Smithers of more powerful and terrifying vampires.

Comment

I have not read The Chicago folio, so your perspective is probably more accurate than mine. I think that one of the most important flaws of the Sabbat was their lack of internal coherence, it was built in opposition to the Camarilla, merging groups with nothing in common but their lack of humanity. In my opinion, Requiem was a smart move from the designers, giving the players not only two sects in war (Camarilla and Sabbat) but lot of options with a convenient alliances.

In my opinion, 5th edition has followed the example of Requiem: The Camarilla are becoming more aristocratic and elitist, as the Invictus; The Anarchs are becoming a major sect, as the Carthians; The Circle of Crone are parallel of the new House Carna and the Bahari; The new Church of Caine and the Nodist that have split from the Sabbat remind me the Lancea Sanctum and the Ordo Dracul. So, in my opinion, the Sabbat only retains the factions of savage infernalists (Belial Brood) and paramilitar veterans of a long war (the VII).

Comment

I have not read The Chicago folio, so your perspective is probably more accurate than mine. I think that one of the most important flaws of the Sabbat was their lack of internal coherence, it was built in opposition to the Camarilla, merging groups with nothing in common but their lack of humanity. In my opinion, Requiem was a smart move from the designers, giving the players not only two sects in war (Camarilla and Sabbat) but lot of options with a convenient alliances.

In my opinion, 5th edition has followed the example of Requiem: The Camarilla are becoming more aristocratic and elitist, as the Invictus; The Anarchs are becoming a major sect, as the Carthians; The Circle of Crone are parallel of the new House Carna and the Bahari; The new Church of Caine and the Nodist that have split from the Sabbat remind me the Lancea Sanctum and the Ordo Dracul. So, in my opinion, the Sabbat only retains the factions of savage infernalists (Belial Brood) and paramilitar veterans of a long war (the VII).
                          Admittedly didn't stay with Requiem, but weren't Belial and VII totally unplayable as written, and stuck with Humanity?

If so, and if you are right I fear that the entire point of the Sabbat, and my favourite part of VtM, the Paths/Roads will be ditched, or mutilated onto the horrible Conviction system, far less granular and evocative than the hierarchies of Sins and less involving. And no, Lore sheets will not fix it, if the Church of Caine as described is supposed to replace the Road it... Doesn't, at all.
                          Last edited by Taggie; 02-17-2020, 01:29 PM.

Comment

Question from a noob - I see that some of the Loresheets reference abilities that can be used "once per game." What does that mean? Once per session? Story? Chronicle?

Comment

Originally posted by Taggie View Post

Admittedly didn't stay with Requiem, but weren't Belial and VII totally unplayable as written, and stuck with Humanity?

If so, and if you are right I fear that the entire point of the Sabbat, and my favourite part of VtM, the Paths/Roads will be ditched, or mutilated onto the horrible Conviction system, far less granular and evocative than the hierarchies of Sins and less involving. And no, Lore sheets will not fix it, if the Church of Caine as described is supposed to replace the Road it... Doesn't, at all.

I don´t expect the Sabbat being playable until a Guide of the Sabbat or a book of the Gehenna War, but I think that they will be. The VII have a supplement book making them playable in Requiem, even being a sect of antagonists. What I do not expect is the return of the paths of enlightment, but I admit that I never liked. The correct answer about Paths of Enlighment and alternative morality systems, if there is an answer, probably lies in Blood Cults of the Blood God.
                              Last edited by Justycar; 02-17-2020, 02:02 PM.

Comment

I don´t expect the Sabbat being playable until a Guide of the Sabbat or a book of the Gehenna War, but I think that they will be. The VII have a supplement book making them playable in Requiem, even being a sect of antagonists. What I do not expect is the return of the paths of enlightment, but I admit that I never liked. The correct answer about Paths of Enlighment and alternative morality systems, if there is an answer, probably lies in Blood Cults of the Blood God.

Not really, at least not from the previews, but then they were the part of the vampire condition that held my interest, where the current conviction and tenets system does not. With the Paths and especially the Roads, you could try to get into an alien, or at least very strange mindset, with the sins providing a concrete slide, things that you became numb to, things that should matter but no longer did, how submitting to the beasts instincts, your night becomes 'easier' your mind less troubled as the beast creeps closer, as torpor becomes longer, as the rages become worse...V5 doesn't have that, the tenets are the tenets at path 1 or path 10, they are the same.

Comment

Working...
                                X