Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So what's the vampire situation in North Korea?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So what's the vampire situation in North Korea?

Is there anything that talks about how vampires work in North Korea? Is it just a Kuei-Jin place? Do vampires have heavy influence over the government, or do they live as much in fear of the government as the human populace?
    Last edited by CajunKhan; 02-19-2020, 02:04 AM.

I think the default of any totalitarian regime is that the vampires are in control of the ruling power enough to guarantee the Masquerade and the ability to feed (whether it is the usual suspects like Ventrue and Toreador, or the Brujah Council). It is just a matter of less powerful vampires owing boons to the ones who guarantee that. In such a scenario, you don't have Anarchs though.

But in terms of Cainites or Kuei-jin, it's whatever you want. Canonically it has to be Kuei-jin. But since I never liked that group (as opposed to Kindred of the East who used normal Vampire rules like Gaki and Bushi...) and know others don't as well, it's up to the ST.

Comment

I imagine that North Korea is the worst place in the world for Kuei-Jin/Wan Kuei given it's atheistic communist status as well as totalitarian horror.

Author of Cthulhu Armageddon, I was a Teenage Weredeer, Straight Outta Fangton, Lucifer's Star, and the Supervillainy Saga.

Comment

N. Korea is actually a Wyrm-infested Akuma/Infernalist blight so horrific, the Kue-jin of China and the US-based Kindred (plus the Technocracy) are all seeking to keep it contained.

Comment

I think that this kind of regimes are more tragic as human horrors (as they are actually) with may be some cainites prospering in the devastation and poverty, but not leading the country or making political decisions. May be the "beast of the forest" could be a temporal ally for the peasants (gangrel or nosferatu), may be there is a lone vampire in Pyonyang by Night walking in a void city after the siren, but no more.
          Last edited by Justycar; 02-19-2020, 06:23 AM.

Comment

Trying to make North Korea a worse place in the WoD is like pouring chocolate sauce over a chocolate bar. You don't really need any more.

I like the idea of mortals and supernaturals all living in equal fear of the government, with maybe some especially subtle Nephandi who've risen to high positions. As with the WoD take on Nazi Germany, I think it works best with ordinary humans at the center of its evil and supernatural races as parasites and hangers-on.

The government might also know about the supernatural. You could have the supreme leader (replaced with a fictional stand-in) who's been around since the '50s and sustains himself on Kindred blood as an independent ghoul. To the rest of the world, he poses as his own son and is notoriously photo-shy. Among his own people, he openly calls himself "the eternal president of North Korea" and says he's immortal, because... well, is it really that big a stretch?

Blood and Bourbon, my New Orleans-based Vampire chronicle.

Comment

And what if instead being a ghoul, the governor is a thin blood puppet from a radical faction of vampires? Wait, wait... Chechenya flashbacks. I agree in those kind of situations, more supernaturals leads to less horror. The true fear is that these monsters are completely human.

Comment

I dont know if it was on this website, but someone suggested that North Korea is the only place in the World Of Darkness without any supernatural influence. The North Korean govt knows about the Night Peoples, and the only way they have kept them out of NK is to devolve into a totalitarian horror show. I like that idea. Humans are still the worst monsters, even the WoD.

Comment

Some vampires prosper in the harship of dictatorship and cultivate influences in it to opress their enemies but they do not truly control the regime as doing so would not only endanger the masquerade but trigger all the other vampires to come to get them kinda like what happens with vital in LA , he cannot try to control the governament becuase doing so would cause everyone to gang on his ass.

https://www.deviantart.com/cicerondixit/gallery

Comment

North Korea is part of the Green Courts of the Kuei-jin. The principal faction is a group of Resplendent Cranes who are doing a social experiment in the two Koreas with two differents systems. At this moment this experiment has failed in the two countries. In North Korea the local Kuei-jin are using infernal power to continue the objective of create a "perfect society." (Kindred of the East Companion).

I wrote a supplement about the two Koreas with official and non ofiicial background some time ago (in spanish).

https://webvampiro.com/wp-content/up...a-Nocturno.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by CTPhipps View Post
                      I imagine that North Korea is the worst place in the world for Kuei-Jin/Wan Kuei given it's atheistic communist status as well as totalitarian horror.
                      Atheistic communist is not really accurate. In practice it's a totalitarian monarchy steeped in weird mysticism: https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...ed-north-korea

Comment

Originally posted by Malkavian87 View Post
                        Atheistic communist is not really accurate. In practice it's a totalitarian monarchy steeped in weird mysticism: https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...ed-north-korea
                        I tend to view atheist as having every bit as many variants as religious really because just because you don't believe in god(s) doesn't mean you can't believe in pseduo-science or weird things.

But yes, the state teaches that the leadership have supernatural powers somehow while oppressing and destroying all religions.

Author of Cthulhu Armageddon, I was a Teenage Weredeer, Straight Outta Fangton, Lucifer's Star, and the Supervillainy Saga.

Comment

Here's a write-up that's canon for my games.

How would I do North Korea?

"Listen boss, you don't actually want to know about North Korea. You think you do because you are certain we're the top of the food chain. You think that if you go there, you'll find out it's all under the command of some secret cabal of Brujah zealots or Ventrue dictators. Is it Sabbat territory or maybe the Kuei-Jin (or Wan Kuei--whatever). After all, it's a place under the absolute oppression of a tyrannical minority and that means someone must be pulling the strings, right? You don't want to go to North Korea because you'll be the only supernatural there."

"Now, this is a bit of hyperbole. There's probably a few there. A Nosferatu or two in the sewers picking off random citizens, a werething or two living in the woods, or maybe a scavenger or two around the Gulags. However, there is a much nastier creature than us ruling over the people in this nation: humans."

"From the Korean War to the present, the vampires of the country had their followers purged and their herds removed. The mages were crushed under the weight of a system that did their best to remove their dreams. If I believed in fairies, I imagine they all died out too. Werewolves can't do much without Kinfolk either. The Kuei-Jin flat out don't get reborn there and their demon friends don't show up so what's the point. It is one of the most spiritually dead places on the planet and barely hanging on for a thousand little things that make it an uncomfortable place for just about all of us."

"Mind you, this doesn't mean they don't believe, boss. The North Korean military did have some people in the know long ago and they have all the books, names, and faces. They already think all enemies are horrible monsters so no harm in burning down an entire building to get just one of us when they see it. Not much even an Elder can do when the response to one rousing an army of starving peasants is to just bomb it to the ground. Hehe, I bet that's what happened to the Garou too. The North Koreans have accomplished what the rest of the world only dreams and wiped out all supernaturals--yay humanity. This is what it looks like without us."

- A transcript of Park Jeesung, Nosferatu Ancilla in Los Angeles

Comment

Originally posted by Justycar View Post
                            And what if instead being a ghoul, the governor is a thin blood puppet from a radical faction of vampires? Wait, wait... Chechenya flashbacks.
                            Yeah, that's a fair point. There's a lot of ways writers could mishandle even a fictional Kim stand-in.

I think he'd want immortality at any cost, but you do diminish the "humans are the worst monsters" angle having Kim-Stand-In as anything besides purely human.

Blood and Bourbon, my New Orleans-based Vampire chronicle.

Comment

Working...
                            X