Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who was the most fun character you ever played?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who was the most fun character you ever played?

Who was the most fun character you ever played and why?

OK, I'll bite.

Anthony Bollington. He was a street rat gamin, a mountebanc, and a bounder who grew up in the East End of London with aspirations of social status and approbation. He was a clawing, grasping climber who spent almost all of his money on three things: fine clothes, excellent food, and charity. He worked like the dickens day and night to ingratiate himself with people of even meager wealth and status, all in hopes of some day being able to break out of the streets and into respectability. By the time he was in his mid and late twenties, he was something of an established figure in the neighborhoods -- the sort of person people would go to for help with problems. After all, he had connections; they were connections that might resent him, might disapprove of him, might refuse to let him come in the front door... but they were connections nonetheless.

He was so good at faking it, though, that he managed to convince several people who were connected with the Ventrue that he was a man of substance who needed to be taken seriously even if it was obvious that he came from lesser fathers. He cast himself as a community leader (which he was, after a fashion). And by the time he was forty, in 1852, one of the Ventrue had the poor judgment to embrace him.

He was never going to be completely accepted by the clan -- not in London of all places. But he was useful for a number of reasons, not least of which was that he had his ear on the street in Whitechapel, Bow, Mile End, and the other sketchy parts of Stepney.

He never truly acquired the habits or manners of the upper class; the best he could do was ape them convincingly for a time. He "mmmed" and "ahhhed" a lot, having decided sometime in the distant past that this made him sound more circumspect and thoughtful, and he had an exaggerated sense of chivalry that he deeply mistook for a sense of morality. He was also extremely territorial about his East End -- so much so that he was in constant struggle with the anarchs who sought to make the area their home in the modern nights. His clan was happy to let him duke it out with them; it was a way for the Ventrue to flex their muscle while simultaneously being able to write it off as Bollington being Bollington again.

But as misguided as he might have been, he generally cared about the poor, and even about some of the more vulnerable anarch neonates. He sincerely thought they had been led astray, and on one notable occasion, he engineered a fight with several anarchs with the sole purpose of providing cover for destroying one of them so that he might release the destroyed vampire's protege from the anarchs and manipulate her into joining Camarilla society.

Which she did, and although she hated him forever, he was pleased with the result.

Comment

I don't really have a single most fun character, but I can think of three that I enjoyed greatly for different reasons.

The first one started as an albino mortal named Morrigan. When she learned vampires were real, she had the pale aura merit so she registered as a vampire when using auspex, it was purely by accident and she handed it so poorly. Ended up doing a lot of mistakes because the knowledge got to her and didn't fit in her more logical minded world view. She and a friend's character interacted quite a lot together with the latter, who was a sabbat toreador, trying to convince her to become a ghoul, but Morrigan refused. Ended up muttering something to herself in an off hand comment that my friend's vampire heard due to an active vampire power and led to said vampire tricking her to a graveyard where Morrigan was ambushed, drained and turned. Playing out the embrace and the post-embrace period was quite fun. Unfortunately some poor STing taints the overall experiences with the character.

My first religious vampire was Cassandra de Valencia, an ancilla lasombra who was one of the Bahari. It was quite fun exploring how she expressed her religious beliefs and how she dealt with her Flaws, Death's Reflection and Permanent Fangs. She wore a face veil at all times that covered the lower half of her face(from the nose and downwards) and explained it away as a religious garb whenever people asked about it. She was friendly, manipulative and someone that slowly pushed people towards her own points of views. At one point she even gave this one gangrel a glare so intense when she warned him to not harm a mortal she'd more or less pushed towards Lilith worship that ended up intimidating that gangrel. Which was amusing to read. Definitely one I'd love to play again someday now that I have the benefit of a lot more experience.

Octavia Sabbatia, born and embraced in the 500s CE, was my first real attempt at roleplaying an older vampire who'd survived to the modern days as a player character. A lasombra and one completely stuck in an idealized imperial roman mindset where she was pretty big on meritocracy. She had three merits in particular, Blush of Health, Early Riser and Deceptive Aura, that ended up becoming a big part of her character. Her design meant that everyone who didn't know her risked mistaking her for a human or ghoul and in the modern day she could also be mistaken for a thin-blood. Two other PCs actually thought she was a human when they first met her and then bit her, thinking she was a meal. She was furious and they were scared given the mistake they'd just made, but one of Octavia's themes was that she was rather lonely and thus ended up quickly forgiving them in return for the company. What I've learned later in writing the character is that her particular obsession is recreating the family she lost when she was embraced and that no matter what she tries, the world will constantly remind her of her own humanity at every single turn and with everything conspiring to put her in positions where she deals a lot with humans directly regardless of what her own desires have been at times. Leading to her being dragged kicking and screaming towards Humanity. Post-Sabbat she's been trying to gather her descendants under her care in part out of genuine motherly concern and in part due to guilt for cursing them with vampirism by having started her lineage, offering them financial support and by helping them join the Camarilla. Whether they accept it or not is entirely up to each individual vampiric descendant.

Comment

Lara Lee aka DJ Tomb Lady. In life a Goth DJ, alternative model and small time drug dealer from Long Beach, California. Shortly after she arrived in Montreal for a few gigs she ended up at a shovel party. She crawled out of the ground on Mount Royal as a Lasombra. With some sort of weird bite or symbol on her neck that might have been demon related. She was thrown into a coven with a bunch of other newbies. (Except for the Mexican Koldun Eladio, our priest and only bad-ass.) Generally speaking our coven (called Ignis Fatum) was just a bunch of fuck-ups. Which the vaulderie barely kept from offing each other. At our first Esbat my character finally got fed up with our ductus, challenged her to monomacy. And won! Fortunately the coven did not survive much longer after that. After a fight broke out between us in the Temple of Eternal Whispers we were destroyed for disrespecting the place. It had been a wild fun ride though.

Comment

As I have played most of the games as Storyteller, some of my best characters are antagonists, my favorite is Annazir. He was an elder Baali who was the true power behind the prince of Dark Ages Damascus. Annazir was the less Baali character you could expect at first impression: Charming, stoic, cultivate and compassive, but he was a true machiavelic beast.
          Last edited by Justycar; 02-24-2020, 07:27 PM.

Comment

Pastor Tim. In life he was a pastor that provided late night sermons to second shift workers and ensures the breakfast was prepped for the homeless. Was embraced as a Malkavian. He saw his condition like the trials of Job; god testing his faith to see if he maintains his good ways as more and more gets taken from him. He heard voices telling him to do terrible things, which he assumed was the devil trying to tempt him into sin. All the while, he took to tending his new flock; other vampires. If anyone needed their souls saved, it was them.

Comment

The character I probably had the most fun playing was Jeremiah Smith who started as a 13th gen Follower of Set that I purposely made as weak as possible in a fight. This was in a huge LARP I played in more than like 20 years ago, so there was some ridiculous stuff going on, so bear with me. Tons of powerful characters of every brand of supernatural. They had even allowed in these demons from a completely different system I think was called Penitent at the time. There was also a general truce among all the supernaturals, including between werewolves and vampires.

His origin was fairly typical Follower of Set, a pusher and pimp from New Orleans. Even though there'd been Setites in the city previously openly declaring themselves Setites, I posed as a Toreador anarch from LA whose art was drugs. His story was that his sire had fed from someone high on the drugs and thought it was so beautiful they embraced the person who made it. I wanted an air of ridiculousness just to see if anyone would catch on.

So pretty early on, he got roughed up by those Penitent demons I mentioned earlier. Playing the manipulative bastard, I talk my way out of it and agree to spy on the vampire court for them and teach them some stuff about the Kindred. I don't necessarily tell them everything, but give them tons of general info and am honest about everything. The Penitents wind up becoming friends with the Werewolves, so this gives me a measure of protection on that front, too.

This gets stupid, but over time he got to be friendly with the Brujah Primogen, since Jeremiah kept up the big anarch talk. Almost on a weekly basis, some new idiot would show up and play a Brujah, do something completely stupid, and the Primogen would stake them. I convinced him to let me eat a couple of the ones he'd disappeared, getting down 11th generation.

After awhile, the Brujah Primogen starts asking too many questions and getting suspicious about my clan and backstory. He mentions he'll be talking to the Prince about this. So thinking quickly, I go to my Penitent demon buddies. Keep in mind, up to this point I've been completely honest with them, fed them lots of Vampire info and they're not aware of my real clan. I inform them the Prince and Primogen are going to break the peace and attack the other supernaturals during their meeting later that night, and oh by the way, think you could stake that Brujah Primogen and bring him to me?

A huge blood bath results as the werewolves and penitents surprise attack the vampires during the meeting and the Brujah Primogen gets staked and pretty much all the vampire leadership in the city are wiped out in the fight. I get to drain the Brujah Primogen and am down to 10th generation. A storyteller did make me do a check to see if I got addicted kindred vitae and diablerie and fortunately passed.

With a massive leadership vacuum and there being no Toreador left in the city, I make a play for Primogen with the new Prince. He looks at my aura and I describe that he sees a set of Diablerie lines, over a set of Diablerie lines over another set of Diablerie lines. He asks about it and I feed him my normal line about LA being an anarch free state and you do what you can to survive, "It's LA, man!" He buys it, but tells me don't let it happen again. So this neonate follower of Set wiped out most of the leadership in the city and claimed a role as Primogen for a clan he was posing as.

*edit* I had nearly forgotten, he practically had a catch phrase "Bitch, I'm from Hollywood." I said it so often people wouldn't question it.
              Last edited by DrHappyAngry; 02-25-2020, 08:30 PM. Reason: catch phrase

Comment

Arch Whitman was a Malkavian academic type, Embraced during the 1980's by a scientifically-minded Malkavian who wanted to refine her own understanding of the workings of Disciplines. Arch's Malkavian Derangement was somewhat rare - from time to time, some part of his mind would activate his Disciplines without his intending to; realizing that discovery of this would effectively be a death sentence, Arch tended to stay away from other Kindred, and even around mortals he was always rather guarded.

In those situations where socializing with other vampires was necessary, Arch would always speak as vaguely as possible, so as to prevent letting slip any knowledge he might have inadvertently gleaned supernaturally.

Arch could lie fairly convincingly, but his unintentional Discipline use still made him occasionally off-putting.

​Arch wore thick-lensed horn-rimmed glasses, and often a sweater and gloves. The former was so he could avoid eye contact and not accidentally Dominate someone; the latter, so he could avoid using the Spirit's Touch on things he handled.

​All his Discipline dots were mental (until he learned Fortitude 1 from a Gangrel PC); he had virtually no combat skills.

Comment

Julia. She was a Senator's daughter Embraced by a 7th Gen. Ventrue named Marius in 80 BCE during the final days of the Roman Republic (one of my fave time periods). She had a long and complicated love life and also killed a lot of people (and creatures). Her True Love was a Setite named Harmachis, and one of the Kindred she staked and decapitated was a Greek Toreador girl (also a PC) who had a brief fling with her before deciding she really liked Julia's True Love instead (which pretty much destroyed their friendship). Eventually Harmachis turned against his clan, and he and Julia and the other PCs helped one of the few surviving Children of Osiris escape to the western desert when the Setites tried to wipe out the entire bloodline during the Roman conquest of Egypt. They succeeded, but Harmachis died in battle holding off a Setite Methuselah so the others could escape. Julia was heartbroken, and a year later she met Final Death by walking into the rising sun when Octavian basically destroyed the last vestiges of the Republic and became emperor (the campaign was ending anyway, so it wasn't as bad as it sounds).

That was a cool game. Sorry if that was too long.

The die is cast.

Julius Caesar crossing the Rubicon

Comment

Harmachis was a PC too.

The die is cast.

Comment

I once played Brujah in a LARP.

Not a Brujah, Brujah himself.

It was a con LARP set in the Second City.

That was FUN!

Freelance Writer and Storyteller's Vault contributor. Find my work here: http://www.storytellersvault.com/ind...liate_id=17903

Comment

Jackob what happened with him and Troile in your LARP?

The die is cast.

Comment

Penelope Just was wondering, how did your Storyteller deal with the Vampire origin mythin in pre-Christian Rome? Sorry if this derailing the thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Penelope View Post
                            Jackob what happened with him and Troile in your LARP?
                            Got my ass diablerized, after pushing Troile too far.

Freelance Writer and Storyteller's Vault contributor. Find my work here: http://www.storytellersvault.com/ind...liate_id=17903

Comment

DrHappyAngry the Ventrue (my character’s clan and the dominant clan in Rome) believed that all thirteen clans were all descended from Jupiter Optimus Maximus, king of the gods. The Ventrue believed that Jupiter Embraced Romulus, the founder of Rome, and Romulus in turn founded the Ventrue clan (this part turned out to be false when we went to Greece and met a Ventrue much older than Romulus). Each clan had a different origin story. My boyfriend was a Setite, so he believed vampires were descended from the Egyptian gods, and my friend’s character, a Jewish Cappadocian named Simeon, had been taught that all Kindred were descended from Cain(e).

Also, the Ventrue in this campaign preferred to Embrace members of the Julii patrician family (my character’s name was Julia, which meant she was a daughter of the Julii).

Jackob was your character crushing on Troile (it’s implied in some of the books that that’s why he Embraced her) or was it just a regular Sire-childe relationship?

The die is cast.

Comment

Working...
                              X