Should Kuei-Jin be in V5?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by CTPhipps View Post

I remind you that when we finally did meet the Inconnu Golconda seekers, they had proven to be completely wrong about their method to seek Golconda.

and yet we have examples of it succeeding, in Chicago by Night 1st for instance.

Comment

• Originally posted by Taggie View Post
      and yet we have examples of it succeeding, in Chicago by Night 1st for instance.
      Fun fact: One of the Chicago by Night 1st Edition characters is a Malkavian film director who achieved Golconda and is living among humanity as a normal guy.

He'd be ashamed and saddened for what Damien's become.

Author of Cthulhu Armageddon, I was a Teenage Weredeer, Straight Outta Fangton, Lucifer's Star, and the Supervillainy Saga.

Comment

• Originally posted by CTPhipps View Post

Fun fact: One of the Chicago by Night 1st Edition characters is a Malkavian film director who achieved Golconda and is living among humanity as a normal guy.

He'd be ashamed and saddened for what Damien's become.

Yup, IIRC it was Rebekah that found Golconda by hermitage and fasting, but I haven't looked thru that book in a while.

Comment

• Originally posted by Taggie View Post

Yup, IIRC it was Rebekah that found Golconda by hermitage and fasting, but I haven't looked thru that book in a while.
          It was also through Jewish rituals, which notably are very social but I understand why many prefer the "Isolated Yoda" trope for Golconda.

Author of Cthulhu Armageddon, I was a Teenage Weredeer, Straight Outta Fangton, Lucifer's Star, and the Supervillainy Saga.

Comment

• I'm wondering how they'll handle the issue of the Kuei Jin in the future. It's kind of weird to note that so much of 5th Edition is about promoting Bloodlines as the basis for how "vampire" is supposed to be played but they're effectively erasing an element that was a central part of that game. On the other hand, Paradox really might just want to remove it entirely from the gameworld and pretend it doesn't exist.

I do hope they address it in some way, though. If they have to do it then have the Thousand Hells open up and swallow up the Kuei-Jin with the final battle against the Yama Kings finally happening. I think I'd prefer that instead of just OOC saying that they never existed in the first place. Mind you, I'd like for there to have always been Cainites in Asia as well.

Its a difficult needle to thread.

Comment

• They were mentioned in Night Road.

Comment

• I think they could be downgraded in spectacle and numbers, you could say either Maelstrom (through other names), death of the 3 Bodhisattvas at Bangladesh, endless battle against the Sabbat that is also advancing on their territory imbued with powerful blood... or going to fight the Yama Kings in their own Gehenna/Apocalypse/Reckoning, although that probably would mean a complete annihilation of the Wan Kuei, with only a handful being left.
                They could work better as a very small society in each city or hermits, because their society is a bit too big as it was in the corebook. But the way they work internally, the Dharmas, the struggles, the magic/power systems, the possible stories and chronicles, are just too cool to throw away. Of course it has a lot of exaggeration and stereotype, which isn't a good thing, but 100% "Westernize" it doesn't seem the right call neither. And yeah, I think there probably are "Cainites" (vamps that drink only blood and burn in the sun) in Asia, and probably always were, many times called Kuei-Jin or Cathayans by Europeans and Americans by mistake and ignorance. That's how I imagine, and the "real" Wan Kuei probably wouldn't respect them either, thinking them as lesser spiritually.

This very thread said there was some talk that they wouldn't officially do anything with Wan Kuei until something like a local company or studio do it, so it really isn't something we can be sure is going or not to happen. I do hope it does, cuz I would love Wan Kuei in 5th edition Storyteller. But I understand they're a bit niche, and mostly misunderstood or downright hated. Also, it seems the IPs are taking longer to release, and we kind of don't have any confirmation on Mage, Wraith or Changeling, much less Demon, Mummy or Kindred of the East, so it really might take one hell of a time before we even get to know if it is a "100% no", "maybe, or "yes".

Strange... When coincidence seems too convenient, I prefer to call it fate.

-Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain d=

Comment

• Originally posted by AkatsukiLeader13 View Post
                  Oh? Did Night Road say anything about them or just name drop them?
                  From what I recall reading, the "Wan Kuei" and Ming Xiao were just name dropped. The former was part of a small list of terms, along with Sabbat and Carna, that the PC knew as a ghoul, but tdidn't understand. I think that Ming Xiao's name was associated with some sort of magical tool offered as a reward for the DLC's new mission. Also, the Great Leap Outward was one of the issues that caused the Giovanni to "panic" in recent years.

Comment

Working...
                  X